Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Such a good scene until he starts stating his political achievements. I don't think God cares if you created 3.8 million jobs or not, such a weird thing to try and use to appeal to the mercy of your deity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Zahki posted:

Such a good scene until he starts stating his political achievements. I don't think God cares if you created 3.8 million jobs or not, such a weird thing to try and use to appeal to the mercy of your deity.

I think he meant it in terms of "I made this world a better place, I'm improving people's lives!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He also shouldn't be bragging about 'creating' only 3.8 million jobs in nearly four years.

quote:

3.8 million jobs sure sounds like a lot, but at the time Bartlet made this speech, it added up to just over 90,000 jobs during each month of his presidency — far less than the country needs just to keep up with population growth. This kind of stagnant growth could be excused if President Bartlet, like President Obama, presided over our emergence from an historic recession, but the Bartlet Administration experienced no similar economic calamity.

From Josiah Bartlet was a Mediocre President.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Joementum posted:

He also shouldn't be bragging about 'creating' only 3.8 million jobs in nearly four years.

I remember reading that, but I just started rewatching (in glorious HD) and in the first couple of episodes Leo talks about needing an economic stimulus package.

Fake edit: this is the quote, from 1x02, not sure who it's addressed to:

quote:

You know what we need right now? An economic stimulus package that doesn't look like it was put together at an Amway rally.

Frindevil
Jul 4, 2006
Haggis Keeper

RIP Mrs Landingham =(

Watching the ending of Two Cathedrals (The best minutes of TV ever put together IMHO) is all the more poignant for me now.

Came here to pray quietly for West Wing on Bluray. Not sure how it's popularity/cost of BD etc would ever lead to that happening. But the HD episodes for streaming are nice!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Joementum posted:

:colbert:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I only sort of skimmed that article but I didn't like it!

quote:

Mulready’s appointment came about as part of a compromise to ensure that Senate Republicans would also confirm a chief justice whose very personal experience with Roe v. Wade would otherwise make her unconfirmable.
No, her being a "Liberal Lion" is what made her unconfirmable. The abortion surely wouldn't have helped, but it wasn't why she was initially disqualified.

quote:

For seven seasons, the West Wing was therapy for thousands of Bush-weary progressives who fantasized about being governed by a Nobel Prize winning scholar who didn’t believe that high-income tax cuts were a panacea. Now that America actually is governed by a Nobel Prize winning scholar
Come on, really? Bartlet (co-)won the Nobel Prize in Economics, Obama won the Peace Prize. They aren't even comparable.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

BrooklynBruiser posted:

"I didn't realize babies come with hats. You guys crack me up. You don't have jobs, you can't walk or speak the language, you don't have a dollar in your pockets, but you got yourselves a hat, so everything's fine. I don't want to alarm you or anything, but I'm Dad. And for you, son, for you this will be the last time I pass the buck, but I think it should be clear from the get-go that it was Mom who named you Huckleberry. I guess she was feeling like life doesn't present enough challenges to overcome on its own. And honey, you've got a name now, too. Your mom and I named you after an incredibly brave, uh... An incredibly brave woman. Really not all that much older than you. Your name is Molly. Huck... and Molly. So, what do I do? Well, you're going to need food and clothes and doctors and dentists... there's that. And should you have any questions along the way... I'm going to be doing stuff like this, Huck, 'cause you're leaking a little bit out of your mouth there. You holding my finger, son? Hey Molly, your brother's holding my hand. You wanna hold my hand?"

Toby :unsmith:

That is such an amazing episode of television, and that is such an amazing scene. Just shows what a brilliant actor can do with great material.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

James R posted:

That is such an amazing episode of television, and that is such an amazing scene. Just shows what a brilliant actor can do with great material.

That bit with Toby made me tear up a little bit :shobon:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

myron cope posted:

Come on, really? Bartlet (co-)won the Nobel Prize in Economics, Obama won the Peace Prize. They aren't even comparable.

Both of the prizes have been repeatedly been awarded to less-than-deserving people. The Economics one isn't even a real Nobel Prize.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

It wasn't nearly 4 years at this point. This was the end of season 2 so it was just over 2 years. They were 8 months in at the beginning of season 1, and if the season finale was roughly in real time (which they tend to do), it was about 28 months.

I don't know if that really changes the point the article was trying to make, but they could at least get their facts straight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, it was well before his 4th State of the Union address (which was in the middle of Season 3), and the Republican race hadn't really started at all.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The West Wing continuity guide pegs Mrs. Landingham's death in May, 2001 and seven months before the Iowa Caucuses, so the election is in 2002. Assuming her funeral takes place shortly thereafter, that makes it 28 months into his presidency, giving him a job growth rate of roughly 136,000/month. This is roughly the same as George Bush's average.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Both of the prizes have been repeatedly been awarded to less-than-deserving people. The Economics one isn't even a real Nobel Prize.

The Peace Prize isn't even given by the Swiss!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

myron cope posted:

The Peace Prize isn't even given by the Swiss!

Of course not, the Swiss are notoriously greedy about gold. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Of course not, the Swiss are notoriously greedy about gold. :colbert:

You mean they are greedy about their cuckoo clocks.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
Aaron Sorkin does a commencement speech and re-uses West Wing material.

You can watch it here, firstly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvilfPWHYI

quote:

One student at Syracuse was, however, less impressed: Chelsea DeBaise, writing in Monday’s edition of The Daily Orange (“the independent student newspaper of Syracuse, New York”), pointed out that Sorkin recycled more or less wholesale a speech he gave at another Syracuse ceremony, the 1997 convocation of Syracuse’s College of Visual and Performing Arts.

Sorkin used the same opening story about a couple who’d been married for decades, the same anecdotes about a girl he wanted to date when he was just out of college and about the actor who dropped out of A Few Good Men to take the lead role in a Milos Forman film that ended up not happening. Noah Wylie replaced him and became a star. “I don’t know what the first actor is doing, and I can’t remember his name,” Sorkin said, both in 1997 and this past weekend.* “Sometimes, just when you think you’ve finally got the ball safely in the end zone, you’re back to delivering pizzas for Domino’s. Welcome to the NFL.”

Sorkin repeated that story “nearly word-for-word,” DeBaise says. She does not note that the phrase “Welcome to the NFL” also appeared in the first season of The West Wing. Of course, that’s a common phrase (so common that no one, it seems, knows who said it first). But it’s just one of at least four lines from the speech that also appear in the first four seasons of The West Wing, which were written almost entirely by Sorkin.

Two of those lines are, like the NFL quip, popular quotations that Sorkin clearly loves. “Don’t ever forget that a small group of thoughtful people can change the world,” he said on Sunday. “It’s the only thing that ever has.” He didn’t mention that the remark was first made by Margaret Mead—probably because he doesn’t need to, really, so well-known is the line. President Bartlet doesn’t attribute it either when he quotes it to Will Bailey in Season 4.

Sorkin also did not attribute the line “Decisions are made by those who show up” to anyone else. That’s understandable, since it is variously attributed to Harry Truman and Woody Allen. Bartlet and his press secretary C.J. Cregg both say it on The West Wing, also during Season 4.

At least one of the lines Sorkin used this past Sunday appears to be his own: “it seems to me that more and more we’ve come to expect less and less from each other,” he said, “and I think that should change.” That line’s from Season 2—of both The West Wing and Sports Night, Sorkin’s previous TV series. (It’s not the only line that showed up on both shows.) Or I suppose we should say it’s from Sorkin’s 1997 convocation speech delivered at Syracuse’s College of Visual and Performing Arts, since that’s when he used it first (as far as I know).

To be clear, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Sorkin reusing some of his best material. As Lynn Greenky, a Syracuse professor of communications and rhetoric told Chelsea DeBaise, a commencement address falls “under the category of epideictic, or ceremonial rhetoric,” like a speech by a politician that, as we all know, will get repeated many times—whether that politician is real, or, perhaps, exists only on TV.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I find that funny because I vaguely remember some of the West Wing speechwriters (Toby, Sam, Will) talking about how much of speechwriting is stealing the good parts of other speeches.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm starting to find a pattern that the best WW episodes have numbers in the title: Two Cathedrals, 17 People, 18th and Potomac

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm starting to find a pattern that the best WW episodes have numbers in the title: Two Cathedrals, 17 People, 18th and Potomac

20 Hours in America, Twenty Five.

Also, seasons really tend to pick up going into the finale, though that's the of most shows. Enemies Foreign and Domestic through to Posse Comitatus is brilliant, for example.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Just finished rewatching the series, and the scene in Inauguration Over There where Josh, Danny, Will, Charlie and Toby all go to Donna's apartment takes the prize as my favorite scene. I can't help but think every time I watch it that the producers must have cut out some epic, zany adventure immediately before it that explained how Will, Toby and Charlie got involved in it all when Will has barely gotten to know them all yet, Toby clearly doesn't want to be there in the first place and Charlie is being unusually fixated on Zoey.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Probably shouldn't be reading this thread, but I am 5 episodes into the first season and I can't believe I've never watched this show before. It is so drat good. Unexpectedly funny, too. Martin Sheen taking Vicodin and Percocet at the same time and then getting really goofy around his staff. The "Crackpots and Women" episode was amazing. I guess I should get out of this thread until I finish it, lest I spoil something, but I will be back after I plow through this show.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
...except Mandy sucks, right? AM I RIGHT?

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

escape artist posted:

Probably shouldn't be reading this thread, but I am 5 episodes into the first season and I can't believe I've never watched this show before. It is so drat good. Unexpectedly funny, too. Martin Sheen taking Vicodin and Percocet at the same time and then getting really goofy around his staff. The "Crackpots and Women" episode was amazing. I guess I should get out of this thread until I finish it, lest I spoil something, but I will be back after I plow through this show.

I'll spoiler this as you're doing a first run through, but for everyone (in relation to that vicodent/percocet scene) it's some pretty subtle foreshadowing to the reveal of Bartlet's MS later in the season. My first time through the series I didn't pick up on it, on my most recent watch (I'm currently in mid season 2) I realised he mentioned his 'muscles weren't what they used to be' while strung out on pills to his staff.

also oh my god, Mandy loving pained me this time around, my first time through I almost enjoyed her presence, this time she was ruining every scene she appeared in.

I would kill for a fan-edit of season 1 where they remove all 90% of all Mandy related plots from the story - she can show up in that one episode to leak her crappy memo and then go away.

edit - Donna's hair and styling sucked until at least season 3, drat girl what up with that.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Banjodark posted:

I would kill for a fan-edit of season 1 where they remove all 90% of all Mandy related plots from the story - she can show up in that one episode to leak her crappy memo and then go away.
And the death penalty one, so josh can still say No, Burt Lincoln! But otherwise yeah, she sucks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

myron cope posted:

And the death penalty one, so josh can still say No, Burt Lincoln! But otherwise yeah, she sucks.

She does. But they realise it so by the end of that season she's barely in it. If you look at her role during the back-nine she hardly factors. I do love though that no one addresses where she went.

Still the biggest cringe worthy moment for me is, when I introduce people to the show, you have to sit through her intro. Everything about it is so unbelievably 90's. The music, the camera angle. It just screams 'Attitude'.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Has Moira Kelly ever publicly offered her thoughts about that, anyway?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

The SARS Volta posted:

Has Moira Kelly ever publicly offered her thoughts about that, anyway?
I seem to remember her saying that both her and the creators agreed the character wasn't really working out. That's probably a fairly political answer but I doubt she's really bitter about it or anything.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Banjodark posted:

edit - Donna's hair and styling sucked until at least season 3, drat girl what up with that.

Donna's from Wisconsin.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

HorseHeadBed posted:

Donna's from Wisconsin Canada.

Missed it by four miles

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
To those who were around at the time: When season 7 originally aired, how big was the part of the audience that wanted Vinick to win?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

To those who were around at the time: When season 7 originally aired, how big was the part of the audience that wanted Vinick to win?

I don't know the answer to this question, because I didn't watch it until after everything was over. However, looking at JUST Santos vs Vinick, I think I'd want Vinick to win. The only reason for me to root for Santos was because of Josh, Donna, Leo, and everyone involved in his campaign.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

DominoDancing posted:

If I remember the polls NBC was running, it was actually more or less even. In fact, the original plan was for Vinick to win but then John Spencer died and the producers thought that losing Leo AND the election would have been like kicking Stantos in the teeth while he was down, so they rewrote it

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

McNally posted:

If I remember the polls NBC was running, it was actually more or less even. In fact, the original plan was for Vinick to win but then John Spencer died and the producers thought that losing Leo AND the election would have been like kicking Stantos in the teeth while he was down, so they rewrote it

There's contradicting statements on this. Some of the folks on the show say it was changed, other that Santos was planned to win even before that, but the writers were conflicted about the election outcome.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 8, 2012

az
Dec 2, 2005

Losing the election would've been a pretty bad kick either way. Josh would've imploded.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

az posted:

Losing the election would've been a pretty bad kick either way. Josh would've imploded.

He would have just rubbed more hair off his forehead, and then walked purposefully down a hall.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I always heard that...

Santos was supposed to win and something would happen to him leaving Leo as President. I have no idea where i heard this though now I think about it.

No idea if I'm meant to spoiler that or not, but meh.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Going back a few posts now, but Mandy was completely terrible in every regard and entirely lacking in redeemable qualities. However, it makes me wonder what the hell Sorkin/Wells/Schlamme thought would happen when they wrote a character who is completely terrible in every regard and entirely lacking in redeemable qualities. How could they have ever thought that the audience would connect with her? Gus from Breaking Bad is more endearing than that woman.

Also I said it a few months ago, but it's where I stand - if a character is going to be the sassy dick who's all up in your face (90s! edgy! extreme!), god you might want to write the character to be correct once in a while. I can't remember a single instance when Mandy added to a discussion.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Going back a few posts now, but Mandy was completely terrible in every regard and entirely lacking in redeemable qualities. However, it makes me wonder what the hell Sorkin/Wells/Schlamme thought would happen when they wrote a character who is completely terrible in every regard and entirely lacking in redeemable qualities. How could they have ever thought that the audience would connect with her? Gus from Breaking Bad is more endearing than that woman.

Also I said it a few months ago, but it's where I stand - if a character is going to be the sassy dick who's all up in your face (90s! edgy! extreme!), god you might want to write the character to be correct once in a while. I can't remember a single instance when Mandy added to a discussion.

Her whole character trait was 'sassy 90s chick' who just always seemed to win over Josh. It also highlights the worst of Sorkin, in which we're supposed to just accept a character is something because other characters say they are. She, for some reason, has Josh and Sam scared of her for seemingly no reason.

There is a moment where I liked her and it's early in the season. It's just her and Josh talking in his office. She drops the sass and they just have a conversation and surprise surprise she's absolutely fine, but then she reverts to type almost straight away.

Nothing at all against Moria Kelly, it's really not her fault. Meryl Streep could be playing Mandy and she'd still be a terrible character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only time I liked her was the panda conversation with Toby.

• Locked thread