Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Speaking of Retaliation figures, I wanna break something down and throw this out to you guys:

I was in a local Toys R Us that had just put out what I'm sure is mostly the full first wave of the line.

Single Pack 3.75" figures: $11.49

Ninja Cycle/Firefly's motorcyle: $12.99, so a loving missile launching motorcycle is apparently only $1.50.

Ninja Buggy/Cobra boat thing(the original series' molds repainted): $15.99. For a mere $4.50 more than a single figure, you get not only a single figure, but an entire loving vehicle too.

How the gently caress is this a good marketing idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Viper_3000 posted:

Quick question. I work at target and noticed that we're going to be putting out what we GI Joe Retaliation stuff we got in to get rid of it. Is any of it worth picking up to toss on eBay since it's being pulled till 2013?

(I'm grabbing a couple of Cobra Commanders for myself, I think we've got both versions.)

The red ninja, gi joe & cobra troopers and in some cases the CC might get you a couple bucks over retail.

The figures are poo poo, once the die hards get them they're going to peg warm. Movie or no movie.

and at $9.99 to $11.49 a figure even moreso

sba fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 30, 2012

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

LightsGameraAction posted:

Speaking of Retaliation figures, I wanna break something down and throw this out to you guys:

I was in a local Toys R Us that had just put out what I'm sure is mostly the full first wave of the line.

Ninja Cycle/Firefly's motorcyle: $12.99, so a loving missile launching motorcycle is apparently only $1.50.

Ninja Buggy/Cobra boat thing(the original series' molds repainted): $15.99. For a mere $4.50 more than a single figure, you get not only a single figure, but an entire loving vehicle too.

--- Yeah...good luck

----- The figures that come with the vehicles are non-articulated, so they're pretty much throwaways, the whole line is meant to get kids into GI Joe based on the movie.

So you can see, the future of GI Joe as a toyline is pretty grim right now.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

sba posted:

--- Yeah...good luck

----- The figures that come with the vehicles are non-articulated, so they're pretty much throwaways, the whole line is meant to get kids into GI Joe based on the movie.

So you can see, the future of GI Joe as a toyline is pretty grim right now.

Yea, so far I picked up the generic GI Joe-grunt-unit guy that comes with a zillion weapons ($9 at walmart, because I'm a sucker for figures with lots of accessories), and the Cobra boat(Originally called Water Moccasin, thanks google!) because I like the mold and never owned a previous version.

I was pretty pissed with the articulation of the moccasin driver, and although I dig grunt figures with lots of weapons, both he and the driver seem to be made of a much, much shittier plastic than previous Joe figures, on top of which the backpack for the joe figure had a too-long tab that means it's sticking out of his back way too far, and the single 3.75" apparently don't come with stands now? That sucks, since this guy sure as hell can't stand up with his backpack on.

Unless something really loving wows me I think I might check out after I find one of the new HISS tanks, if I even manage to before they try to save face and pull the toys off shelves.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'll keep my eyes peeled, I have pretty good luck with MU stuff.
If you come across an Avengers movie Black Widow I'd love you forever, too (not that I don't already, mind you :glomp: ).

Also if Viper_3000 doesn't pull through on a Zartan I saw like 4 of them at a local Target today for $10 a pop.

I want to like the new Roadblock figure just because I think having a 3.75" action figure of Dwayne Johnson is hilarious, but the likeness is really generic and just doesn't look like him. :sigh:
I also saw a couple Cobra Commanders; he actually looks cool, but he's not $10 cool.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Jet Ready Go posted:

In a way.. I wouldn't mind buying another Solid Snake action figure just to have them in scale.. but the real thing that is keeping me at bay is the head sculpt on the thing.

I mean it's got all the elements of Solid Snake but ends up looking like a gritty fanart of it instead.

I see what you're saying about the fanart, but I think what they were going for here is the 1998 Playstation look of Solid Snake. Or rather what Shinkawa's had him looking like before they kind of remade him in MGS2 and then made his clonefather look even more different in the Big Boss games.

As a standalone, or even coupled with just Gray Fox I think he'd look fine. But I agree that he might look strange when displayed next to the other figures from the line.

I just found out PAKai is doing a Solidus figure that looks down right amazing, I just really wish they would take that last step and make a Big Boss figure like he looks in the MGS4 epilogue Complete with cigar and all, that would make my day.

ShimSham fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 1, 2012

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Xenomrph posted:

If you come across an Avengers movie Black Widow I'd love you forever, too (not that I don't already, mind you :glomp: ).

Also if Viper_3000 doesn't pull through on a Zartan I saw like 4 of them at a local Target today for $10 a pop.

Well feel free to pick one of those Zartans up, I'm sure I'll find one of the gals you're looking for. Is Black Window already out, or just anticipated soon? I'm not really interested in her but I heard about her articulation, which is jaw-dropping at that size.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

And of course i immediately find a Zartan this morning, but nothing else. So if you havent picked one up already, please don't. Still on the hunt of Black Widow.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Black Widow is popping up on eBay (at insane scalper prices, of course) and youtube reviews of the figure have indicated that apparently her wave of figures has started to hit retail.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

quote:

We regret that Hasbro has sent an e-mail this morning stating that Gi-Joe Retaliation Wave 2 & Wave 3 have in fact been cancelled until March 2013. The only Retaliation items we will see this year is the little Wave 1 product that are currently in stores now.

Please note, we will announce again and reoffer Wave 2 & Wave 3 early next year while supplies last. Until then, there will be no Gi-Joe items available from Hasbro for 2012.

I love my dead gay toyline.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Grabbed a red ninja, a Joe grunt dude, and both CCs.

They aren't selling well at all (gee, at 11 bucks a pop I wonder why....) so if anyone needs something from the line let me know and I'll see if we've got it in stock. I think we have one more case in the back that I can pull from if I remember right, but possibly not.

Xenomrph posted:

I want to like the new Roadblock figure just because I think having a 3.75" action figure of Dwayne Johnson is hilarious, but the likeness is really generic and just doesn't look like him. :sigh:

Roadblock looks incredibly lovely and nothing like Dwayne Johnson, there's no way I'd think about picking him up. In fact most of the (non-Masked) faces on this line look horrible to me, but I'm not a huge Joe dude, so maybe I'm just nitpicky.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They canceled GIJoe because of the battleship movie, it really should have been the other way around.

The Battleship movie had the workings of a Macross movie if they just added giant robots. You had alot of the same elements there between the ships and aliens, but sadly hasbro does not own Macross/Robotech. The movie itself was better than Transformers but not as good as the GIJoe movie. Honestly all in all it was a functional movie, but really really average and didn't really deliver a whole lot.

The marketing behind it was another thing because the movie the trailers advertise is not the movie you would expect to see. But what I saw I felt has been done better by other series and movies in the past, however the movie itself is inoffensive. No sequences stuck out like they did in Transformers to the point that made you feel like walking out of the theatre.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Sideshow has gotten the Movie Promo Mark VI Iron Man figures from Hot Toys in stock. Limited to 3000 and they're 189.99.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I got some packages this weekend and finally got my lazy rear end to take some pictures. Then I remembered I have no business taking photos, so apologies about the flash overkill on some of the closeups.

Speaking of Flash, first up was Jay Garrick, who arrived a week before Digital River said he would, although I still had to call and yell at them about overcharging me for him.

Nothing hugely special about him; same standard DCUC body with a well-made face and vac-metal helmet. I think the next shelf display needs to be an old-school JSA lineup, soon as I find where I put Wildcat.

Next is a pair of birthday gifts (well, the Sideshow cards were the gifts):

Starting off is the Black Dragon Ninja.

Moving on to the Cobra Ninja Viper.

As you can see they both come with a ton of poo poo, and I didn't have the battery power to take more than a couple shots. The figures are both really nice, as usual. Oddly, despite having the same feet and body, the Ninja Viper could stand really well on his own while the Black Dragon was super wobbly without a stand. Still, nice additions to a collection I only get to add to rarely, and I'm sure Storm Shadow appreciates having a proper entourage:

Now to resist the urge to use up all those rewards points on Zartan...

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 31, 2012

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Viper_3000 posted:

Grabbed a red ninja, a Joe grunt dude, and both CCs.

I was in a Toys R Us today and they had just put out a case at buy one get one 50% off (most action figures, not just these) so I grabbed a Red Ninja and a Black CC.

The Red Ninja uses the 30th anniversary Storm Shadow mold, so it's a really good figure. Someone on Hisstank posted a picture of it with one of the 25th Red Ninja heads and it looked pretty sweet, so I did that with mine to make a Red Ninja leader figure:

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Black Widow is popping up on eBay (at insane scalper prices, of course) and youtube reviews of the figure have indicated that apparently her wave of figures has started to hit retail.

Is that the one with grapple blast?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DrChud posted:

Is that the one with grapple blast?
That's the one!

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

Hasbro severely limited the articulation on driver figures (only 5 points) in order to cut costs, or else you'd be paying over $20 for the motorcycle and $25-30 for the larger vehicles.

A few of the first wave figures are actually very good. The greenshirt trooper looks fantastic, as do the ninjas. I like the Cobra Commander design and the Cobra Trooper comes with a sweet parachute. Waves 2 and 3 look a billion times better, but we won't see them at retail until the movie comes out in March of next year. Wave 2 has a much better Roadblock and Snake Eyes and Wave 3 has a Lady Jaye built on the Renegades Scarlett body. If we make it to Wave 4, there's a great lookin Jinx figure and the motherfucking RZA coming. It's not their best effort, but there's good stuff in there if you're picky about the line. Hopefully, they sell, because retailers are not loving GI Joe after the last movie's figures peg-warmed for years.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

That's the one!

I was able to find one this morning, if your interested?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DrChud posted:

I was able to find one this morning, if your interested?
I'm certainly interested, thanks! :) What store did you find it at, so I can keep my eyes open for the next day or so?

Also is the one you found okay in the paint-apps department? I don't mean to be all anal-retentive, but I hate sloppy paint stuff. I'm talking major stuff, like crossed eyes and poo poo like that.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'm certainly interested, thanks! :) What store did you find it at, so I can keep my eyes open for the next day or so?

Also is the one you found okay in the paint-apps department? I don't mean to be all anal-retentive, but I hate sloppy paint stuff. I'm talking major stuff, like crossed eyes and poo poo like that.

I found it at a back woods Walmart, One of her eyes is on her chin, is that ok? :haw:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hmm, looks alright in that picture, but I can't tell if the right eye is totally off from where it should be. Does it look alright in person?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Hmm, looks alright in that picture, but I can't tell if the right eye is totally off from where it should be. Does it look alright in person?

Ok, I am considering myself off this case.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
ALMOST got the set...

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

ALMOST got the set...

Hahahahaha, perfect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Ok, I am considering myself off this case.
Whoa whoa whoa not so fast, if you end up finding one that looks better than the one DrChud posted his picture of I totally wouldn't mind buying it from you. :hfive:

Also the MU Black Widow (with the grey gauntlets/belt) is an okay figure, but the TRU Exclusive "Avengers Assemble" one with the different head, yellow gauntlets/belt, and light-up base is worlds better. Sure it re-uses the same headsculpt as the Dark Phoenix (from the comic 2-pack with Cyclops) and MU Psylocke, but it's a good headscult and it's arguably the best use of it to date.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Finally found a GI Joe:Retaliation Cobra Commander today. All they had was the all black variant, which I think looks pretty good. I'm really liking the new helmet design.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I hadn't seen this before: SDCC 2012 Masters of Evil set featuring Helmut Zemo, Radiation Man, and Tiger Shark. I'm not a huge collector of Marvel Universe, the last stuff I got was the GotG and single fig Dr. Doom (and before that I think it was the Union Jack from one of the first waves), but something about that trio looks really nice and I might save up a bit if they're not horribly expensive for the post-con online sale.

In other news, Hot Toys continues to invalidate your previous purchases:

Also your 12-inch Tom Hiddleston dress up doll will come complete with sci-fi ball-gag.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
So here's my latest update on the "Retaliation toys are bullshit" front: Picked up the new HISS tank at a Target the other day. The tank itself is really, really badass, so no points off there. The driver figure is Cobra Commander, and as previously stated has only 5 points of articulation. So I get the figure out of the box, and lo and behold, one of his arms is only halfway-pegged into the socket, and sticking out about a cm or two more than it should. Way to go, Hasbro QC.

I've tried just pushing really hard to pop it in and that doesn't work. Anyone have any tips? I'm worried I'm starting to stress it too much, since it's too far in to pull out, too.

Also, on a lighter note, in the figure 3 packs that just came out ($20 for 3-3.75" figs, which is a pretty good deal) there is a much, much better likeness of Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock, and he comes with a pretty cool looking Beachhead, Kamakura, and a bunch of accessories for all 3.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That Joker 2.0 is tempting -- I might sell mine off, the head on mine is a little loose. Reason being the Bank Robber came with a more true to cinema head, so as I was replacing the head some of the insides got torn up, so it sits straight but isn't tight at all.

I am assuming this will have the PERS thing with the eyes and a much better sculpt. So if anyone is interested, i'll sell it off. I'll have pics later of mine.

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

So here's my latest update on the "Retaliation toys are bullshit" front: Picked up the new HISS tank at a Target the other day. The tank itself is really, really badass, so no points off there. The driver figure is Cobra Commander, and as previously stated has only 5 points of articulation. So I get the figure out of the box, and lo and behold, one of his arms is only halfway-pegged into the socket, and sticking out about a cm or two more than it should. Way to go, Hasbro QC.

I've tried just pushing really hard to pop it in and that doesn't work. Anyone have any tips? I'm worried I'm starting to stress it too much, since it's too far in to pull out, too.

Also, on a lighter note, in the figure 3 packs that just came out ($20 for 3-3.75" figs, which is a pretty good deal) there is a much, much better likeness of Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock, and he comes with a pretty cool looking Beachhead, Kamakura, and a bunch of accessories for all 3.

You could try heating the joint with a hairdryer to loosen it up, but be careful, because it's really easy to tear softer plastics, especially when warmed. Alternatively, you can stick it in the freezer for a while to strengthen the peg, but again, be careful because that can make harder plastics brittle.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Looks like Marvel Legends are getting a SDCC three-pack too, X-Force Wolverine, Psylocke, amd Archangel!

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

therealjon_ posted:

Looks like Marvel Legends are getting a SDCC three-pack too, X-Force Wolverine, Psylocke, amd Archangel!

Aside from the weird hips on Psylocke (they can never get hips right in that line) that poo poo is hot. I really wish I'd started on ML rather than MU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Aside from the weird hips on Psylocke (they can never get hips right in that line) that poo poo is hot. I really wish I'd started on ML rather than MU.

As nice as that is I'd rather have the MU 3-pack, look at that loving badass Zemo!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Rhyno posted:

As nice as that is I'd rather have the MU 3-pack, look at that loving badass Zemo!

Yeah no kidding. As always, Legends gets pseudo repaints of characters we already have while MU gets brand new characters. Nice thing about having the X-Force 3-pack means that they don't have to release those figures in the normal waves and clog up slots that can be given out to characters we don't have already.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That Archangel sculpt is new and I think pretty badly needed as the last one had terrible wings because of the action feature.

I'll agree on Psylocke being unnecessary since it was one of the few females Toybiz did decently.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Did they really need to include X-Force Wolvie in this 3-pack? He seems like a waste of a character slot. Wolverine could have been sold in the regular line and the slot could have been given to a more obscure character we'll never see. Replace Psylocke (nice but unnecessary really) with Wolfsbane and Wolverine with Vanisher or Caliban.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Cocks Cable posted:

Did they really need to include X-Force Wolvie in this 3-pack? He seems like a waste of a character slot. Wolverine could have been sold in the regular line and the slot could have been given to a more obscure character we'll never see. Replace Psylocke (nice but unnecessary really) with Wolfsbane and Wolverine with Vanisher or Caliban.

Uncanny X-Force (which this line is based) is Fantomex (released), Deadpool (i believe an UXF version was released), Wolverine, Archangel and Psylocke. Wolfsbane, Vanisher, Caliban and Warpath were last incarnation.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

drat, I really want that Psylocke figure (I agree it is unnecessary but shut up, I like the character). Hopefully I can snag it loose or pick up the pack at a decent price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

http://necaonline.com/34497/blog/press-releases/prometheus-has-landed/

Love it!