Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What is with people hating on defense so much? There's just something kind of awesome about shutting other players down.

"Oh? You thought you were about to do a sweet dangle and score on my goalie? Poke!" :smug:

Offer not valid in New Jersey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mystery to me, I've been a defensive minded sort for as long as I've been alive.

Nothing better than watching an offensive player roll his eyes to the heavens, doesn't matter which sport.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Mystery to me, I've been a defensive minded sort for as long as I've been alive.

Nothing better than watching an offensive player roll his eyes to the heavens, doesn't matter which sport.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Are you guys viewing the results of the survey somewhere?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

What is with people hating on defense so much?

Because there's no way to keep score and if you make a mistake it's your fault. A winger makes a mistake on offense and it's not a goal. People are dumb.

Also don't understand lining up to take slapshots before the game. Seems to be a California beer league thing in my experience...

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Cool Ranch posted:

Filled out the google doc, but I didn't type out the state so I boned up the alphabetizing...sorry.

Dont worry, easily fixable

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

What is with people hating on defense so much?

Half the blame, none of the glory!! What's not to love?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I hate that I've been playing for a year and a half and put my skill level as "just starting out" because I can only get on the ice once a week, and I don't even make it every week. Thanks a million, lovely ice times at the university's rink.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Wait until the "real world" and you struggle to get on the ice 2x a week and pay 5x as much to do so

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I wish I could bitch about available ice time, and the costs of it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Wait until the "real world" and you struggle to get on the ice 2x a week and pay 5x as much to do so

I have a real world job for the summer and after an 8 hour work day I don't think i could handle more than 45 minutes on the ice.

However, someone at the steel mill invited me to play roller with him sometime. He says he has an old pair of skates, but one only has 3 wheels. I've never played roller before; will using them kill me?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

When I first started learning to play I figured I'd probably play on a wing just because I didn't have the mechanics of backward skating down, but by the time I actually got on a team I knew D was the position for me. I can play a wing when I have to, but I can think the defensive position so much better. It seems to have more of a logical progression to it, where being a forward has a certain amount of organized chaos involved.

Also, there's nothing in the world like staring down a 3-2 breakaway situation and completely obliterating the rush with a well-timed poke check.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lawnie posted:

I've never played roller before; will using them kill me?

I can't comment on three wheels, but just don't try to hockey stop. It's not gonna work like your body thinks it will.

Our league kicks off tonight! Can't wait to get out there and remember why I should have practiced in this month off!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Also, there's nothing in the world like staring down a 3-2 breakaway situation and completely obliterating the rush with a well-timed poke check.

When you're a kid in a rec league where everyone is pretty bad and you can consistently do this in 2 on 1 situations everyone will love you.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Lawnie posted:

I have a real world job for the summer and after an 8 hour work day I don't think i could handle more than 45 minutes on the ice.

However, someone at the steel mill invited me to play roller with him sometime. He says he has an old pair of skates, but one only has 3 wheels. I've never played roller before; will using them kill me?

3 wheels won't kill you, half of the guys on my team have 3 wheels in their skates because they just won't buy wheels...

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Anybody in Edmonton interested in joining a team next year? Newbies more than welcome.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Lawnie posted:

As long as its one of the middle two that are missing you'll be fine.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, I have been playing on the worst team in my puck (inline) league this session, because I was able to play in the league, and no other teams needed a player. I was going to let the captain know this upcoming week that I wouldn't be returning to the league. However, I got an e-mail today asking if I would take over the team because he would not be returning to the team. Because I am a nice guy, I said I would take it over. We are losing him, another good player, and a kid that is on the local junior team. So, I am left with the scraps of a very bad team and a girl that is a very good defenselady. In the e-mails the commish said he has a couple free agents that are looking to join a team, so I might get elite players, or I might get more pylons.

I don't have any questions, I just want to vent and hope someone out there feels my pain.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Hockles posted:

I don't have any questions, I just want to vent and hope someone out there feels my pain.

I've been in the same situation several times. It can have its good and bad points. Really focus on trying to get everyone better. At the end of the season when you see two of the worst players put together back door one timers, it really makes you happy to see the progress.

Feel free to talk to the weaker players on the team, most times they know where they stand skill wise and as long as you don't come across as Johnny Mc Hot Dick then they are probably more than willing to want to try to improve.

A lot of what makes a good team is being on similar skill levels and familiarity. Last season, we only had 2 guys who were bad on our team but they were friends of one of the other players so we didnt say much. They improved, and we lost one this year so we really now only have 1 "bad" player but hes always willing to try and improve. The best part is that this season picked up with everyone knowing their position and role on the team and it made things infinitely better just rolling into place vs struggling with it all season long.

I find that a lot of free agent teams are always stacked with forwards and very few D. Since everyone wants to be a forward, the people who get stuck on D tend to play more aggressively and get caught up in the play too often, leaving the remaining D hanging and giving up a lot of 2 on 1 or breakaway opportunities. Its rare that free agents choose to play D and do it well.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've played with the team before, so I already knew the team coming into the session. The issue with the team is, the skill level difference is much greater in this league (Losing 10-2, 13-1, etc). We rarely get chances and two of the guys can barely skate. I always play defense, since it is easier that way. But I can easily say that I face a dozen or more 2 on 1s every game because the forwards don't have the ability to backcheck to help out.

Oh well, skating is skating I suppose.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our captain organized an ice time on Tuesday nights like a year ago, advertised it and whatnot, got a nice pool of guys going to it regularly. As it turned out this became a really good recruiting tool; new guys come in, we get to give them a tryout of sorts (both hockey skill and personality wise), then he'll invite them to play with us if they're a fit. We've "signed" a half dozen guys this way over the last year. It works really well but it is a lot of extra work. In conclusion our captain owns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Several teams at my league use the adult learn to play session for recruiting. Obviously it's a pretty mixed bag but the dudes who show up and know how to skate tend to get gobbled up pretty quick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Okay, to resurrect exercise chat a bit, have any of you have problems with your lower back wearing out after a long skate? I'm getting pretty bad muscle fatigue.. rest of my body is ready to keep skating, but my back is saying gently caress no to that. I'm not precisely sure which muscles it is, it's either the obliques or the erectors.

I've had the problem for quite a while and have been doing back extensions and oblique crunches like a madman for a few months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I'm curious if this is a "hockey player problem" and if anyone knows a magic cure for it.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Interestingly I got that problem when I started playing ice again despite playing roller twice a week (and playing with only 3 d most games). I don't really get it anymore. I don't know if I can attribute that to my workout routine or just playing ice regularly now.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Mid-way through tonight's game my lowest/lower back hurt a bit. RICE!

We lost tonight 5-2. No matter what: beer league is still the funnest league!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm gearing up to join the learn to play poo poo this winter since I can't really find much going on this summer.

Since there's a 'sale' going on at the local hockey shop, and our local play-it-again sports only has kid gear, I'll probably be getting all new equipment.

So here's the basics I know about equipment:
Pretty much I should probably bring my skates so I know if the kneepads fit in the right place.
Also need to put on gloves/elbow guards together to make sure that the forearm is covered by SOMETHING.

Anything else?

That also means I'm gonna have to start working out again.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

xzzy posted:

Okay, to resurrect exercise chat a bit, have any of you have problems with your lower back wearing out after a long skate? I'm getting pretty bad muscle fatigue.. rest of my body is ready to keep skating, but my back is saying gently caress no to that. I'm not precisely sure which muscles it is, it's either the obliques or the erectors.

I've had the problem for quite a while and have been doing back extensions and oblique crunches like a madman for a few months, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I'm curious if this is a "hockey player problem" and if anyone knows a magic cure for it.

Do you do deadlifts or barbell rows?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

A lot of people focus on their abs/core, legs and arms but forget to work their back muscles. It sounds like you were working on your back but maybe add in some deep stretching. For me, I found that my back was getting stronger but I was still having similar problems and then deep stretching started to really make a big improvement as my flexibility got better it went away.

I notice my back would hurt more on ice because I lean forward more when I skate and I tend to stay low. I've had to tell myself to stand up every now and then and stretch but when I stand straight up, it makes me feel like I'm not able to make a play as quickly as when I'm leaned over with my stick on the ice.

I seemed to fix the problems with back extensions and stretching before/after the game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Deadlifts.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Yea seriously do deadlifts and barbell rows and you should not have this problem. They work out your lower and mid back.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm gearing up to join the learn to play poo poo this winter since I can't really find much going on this summer.

Come play for my inline team in Medina next session!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You just complained about a bunch of lovely players and you want a complete noob? :)

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

You just complained about a bunch of lovely players and you want a complete noob? :)

It's something to do. But honestly, I think you'd fit better in the Monday night ball league.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Doctor Butts posted:

Since there's a 'sale' going on at the local hockey shop, and our local play-it-again sports only has kid gear, I'll probably be getting all new equipment.

So here's the basics I know about equipment:
Pretty much I should probably bring my skates so I know if the kneepads fit in the right place.
Also need to put on gloves/elbow guards together to make sure that the forearm is covered by SOMETHING.

Anything else?

That also means I'm gonna have to start working out again.

I think you missed the sales this year, most of the new equipment is out. But it's not really your fault, I think a lot of stores this year had to keep to the minimum price of the manufacturer for longer and they kept less in stock, so there was less to go on sale. I've been looking for a pair of elbow pads for a while and the sales just never seemed to happen for what I was looking for.

Don't worry about your entire forearm being covered. Just get properly sized gloves and something that covers your elbow for when you fall and you'll be good.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to bring your skates. Each person is different but there are general guides to help you if it means saving 20-30 dollars by ordering online.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

I think you missed the sales this year, most of the new equipment is out.

Our local hockey store, Perani's, is having a sale this weekend. My good friend is Asst Manager there, so I usually go to him for things I don't want to get online. Depending on how much of a discount they are, I might be getting skates for my girlfriend.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The best boyfriend!

Glad to hear sales haven't been missed. I went to HockeyGiant/HockeyMonkey stores when they did their 20% off a certain brand in stores only and that was about all I was able to find. But I only have mega internet retailers nearby

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I didn't see any slammin' deals this year either other than 15%/20% off from HockeyMonkey etc. Last year I got my Vapor skates for 50% off!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hockles posted:

It's something to do. But honestly, I think you'd fit better in the Monday night ball league.

Yea I had been wanting to try that out but its kind of a hike to Medina and I work till 7 on Monday nights a lot.

I wouldn't mind giving inline a shot while waiting for HNA to come around, but man I suck on rollerblades even worse than ice skates (and i only have crappy cheap rollerblades)

edit: I'm supposed to be going to Perani's this weekend, so you should give your asst. manager buddy a heads up that the weird short guy is going to be there again.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 8, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Perani's is having a sale? I need new gloves. Time to head there on my way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Speaking of gloves, I'm so happy I chose the $80 CCMs I have instead of the cheapo Reboks that I almost bought. They are comfy as hell, and I love the feel of them. Of course, I always feel comical with them, because while I have big hands, my wrists are narrow. :smith: