Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

If you have an open backed cabinet, place one mic on the speaker in the back and flip the phase of your mixer at the front of house. That will give you different texture to choose from between the the regularly mic'ed speaker. Mix and match to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
^
Oooh, that's a good idea, provided you have the time to pull it off. Most shows are about setting you up as quickly and simply as possible.

Warcabbit posted:

The Black Keys did the two-amp trick on El Camino.
Yeah, it's one of those things you can get away with in studio where everything is isolated and the mics can be placed just right to prevent phase cancelling. You'll almost certainly get one mic, and if the blend of those two speakers sounds good to you, it should sound good to everyone (provided sound guy is competent, not a jerk, etc).

Think of speakers in a single cab as ingredients in the same dish, and multiple amps in stereo as different courses in the same meal.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm pretty sure it's closed back, although a lot of sound comes out of the top of the back. What if I just place one of the mics 20 cm or so further away from the speaker than the other?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Boz0r posted:

I'm pretty sure it's closed back, although a lot of sound comes out of the top of the back. What if I just place one of the mics 20 cm or so further away from the speaker than the other?

In a closed studio environment, that's fine. In a live situation that might not be ideal. It depends on how loud/close the other instruments are. After the War's analogy is a good one.

In this environment, you're going to have to depend on the FOH guy to give you a stereo image.
Another trick is to put the two mics on your guitar and give one an effect and the other dry. But if you're using stereo effects at FOH anyway, that's kind of overkill.

If you're playing a small club it won't make that much difference anyway. If your stage volume is loud it (probably) won't be reinforced that much by a PA any way. If you're playing a larger venue, then you can probably play around with what has been discussed above.

I really wouldn't obsess over it. Just go out and play and have fun.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sanity check/request for someone to be my enabler:

After acquiring my first tube amp a few weeks ago, I'm, looking for another (much smaller) one that's a little more usable inside the house. I've also been wanting to replace my Frontman 25R for some time now. At the moment, I'm strongly eyeballing the Bugera V5. None of the local shops have one on hand to try out but the reviews seem pretty positive all around. I really like the idea of the attenuator, and I'm sure my wife and both cats would too. The price is also quite compelling.

Do I need one of these in my life?

Jives
May 1, 2011
Hey Amp fiends, I was wanting to buy MY FIRST TUBE AMP. I'm currently looking at buying either a night train, or tiny terror second hand. I can't really tell which is better to go for, currently leaning towards the night train.

Should I be avoiding amps that have been re valved? And are there other good choices of amp that I am failing to notice?

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Jives posted:

Hey Amp fiends, I was wanting to buy MY FIRST TUBE AMP. I'm currently looking at buying either a night train, or tiny terror second hand. I can't really tell which is better to go for, currently leaning towards the night train.

Should I be avoiding amps that have been re valved? And are there other good choices of amp that I am failing to notice?

What kind of music do you play?

Jives
May 1, 2011

Sirius Sam posted:

What kind of music do you play?

I play a lot of things I guess mostly moderately heavy rock. I think I'd most want to emulate the guitar tone of Jack White, or isaac brock.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Revalved just means someones put new valves in it, its possible bonus if you're buying used, like "recently serviced".

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Night Train kicks rear end but the normally articulate sound gets a little muddy at maximum gain. Have some other pedals handy to give it some distortion before it gets to the amp and then just a little overdrive on the amp itself. Also, new tubes is probably a good thing. The ones that come with it sound a little fizzy to me.

Jives
May 1, 2011
So would you recommend the night train over the terror? Or should I just go for whichever I can find cheapest?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I liked the terror, its a super midrangey amp but not in a bad way. I gigged with it and a distortion pedal for a few months, though it had a great sound for micced gigs it was juuust a tiny bit lacking in headroom for ones with a lovely PA.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I heard that tube heads are way more flexible with the resistance of a cab. Could I plug a 8 ohm tube Traynor head into a 4 ohm cab and have it be ok?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So I didn't really know where to put this, so I might crosspost this is in he bass megathread too.

So anyway, a guy that runs a shop where I teach lessons met a guy here in Western PA that bought the rights to produce and sell the renowned Acoustic 360 Bass amp. I guess this used to be the bass amp that everyone played, John Paul Jones, Jaco, Flea
I have yet to meet this guy but appearntly he is a complete drunk who operates out of an old abandoned shoe store in Greensburg PA. So I've been told that it's falling apart, smells of mold and has a leaky roof. He contracts out the electrical work to local shop and he does a little but of the fit and finish work (not very well either). http://acoustic-360bass.com/About.html awesome picture of the home base of this and two awesome guys.

The story i guess goes that he bought the rights to produce and sell this from guitar center, who among tons of other things now owns Acoustic. I can't for the life of me figure out this arrangement but I guess he has to pay Guitar Center royalties on each amp he sells.

This can be yours for the cool price of $5,000.

It sounds amazing, it really fills up the space with sound without sounding "Loud". But the guy who builds them is such a trainwreck and bad with business that he can't sell them.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 12, 2012

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

HollisBrown posted:

So I didn't really know where to put this, so I might crosspost this is in he bass megathread too.

So anyway, I guy that runs a shop where I teach lessons met a guy here in Western PA that bought the rights to produce and sell the renowned Acoustic 360 Bass amp. I guess this used to be the bass amp that everyone played, John Paul Jones, Jaco, Flea
I have yet to meet this guy but appearntly he is a complete drunk who operates out of an old abandoned shoe store in Greensburg PA. So I've been told that it's falling apart, smells of mold and has a leaky roof. He contracts out the electrical work to local shop and he does a little but of the fit and finish work (not very well either). http://acoustic-360bass.com/About.html awesome picture of the home base of this and two awesome guys.

The story i guess goes that he bought the rights to produce and sell this from guitar center, who among tons of other things now owns Acoustic. I can't for the life of me figure out this arrangement but I guess he has to pay Guitar Center royalties on each amp he sells.

This can be yours for the cool price of $5,000.

It sounds amazing, it really fills up the space with sound without sounding "Loud". But the guy who builds them is such a trainwreck and bad with business that he can't sell them.

$5,000? :sweatdrop:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Just get an old Acoustic off Craigslist for way cheaper.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Went into Guitar Center looking to test small wattage tube amps for my apartment in the ~$500 range.

Left with this $39... thing. An amp made by the budget brand to an already inexpensive guitar company. It's a little dirty. Everything works, although I haven't tested the CD input or the headphone jack.

Using nothing but a Tube Screamer and one of the amp's three (3!!) built in reverbs (all of them unnatural sounding!) I can get a pretty slick sound for toying around and practicing at home. The cleans are very pretty also. I'll probably still be in the market in the future for a Blackstar 1 watt head / cab combo but for where I live now this is strange thing let's me practice without sounding awful.

Not my picture. Mine included way more dust. Seriously would've thought the drug dealer lookin' guitar techs would've wiped it down on its way into the store.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hey Guys, Just bought a Vox AC30, and I just played it, and I have a question: Should I be hearing a bit of static or fuzz in the background when I play? Is that normal? I don't have it turned up very loud, and the static isn't very loud either; it is a very faint sound, but still noticable. Any Ideas?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Welp, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a microphonic tube. :sigh:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What's the routine, tap it with a pencil eraser, see if it feedbacks?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

The Bananana posted:

Welp, I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a microphonic tube. :sigh:

That's a pretty simple and cheap fix as far as tube amps go, I wouldn't complain or the amp gremlins will come looking for you.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Warcabbit posted:

What's the routine, tap it with a pencil eraser, see if it feedbacks?

It doesn't even need to feedback, if you can hear the tapping through the amp, the tube is indeed acting as a microphone.

The Bananana posted:

Hey Guys, Just bought a Vox AC30, and I just played it, and I have a question: Should I be hearing a bit of static or fuzz in the background when I play? Is that normal? I don't have it turned up very loud, and the static isn't very loud either; it is a very faint sound, but still noticable. Any Ideas?
Have you made sure the pots, switches and jacks are clean? It's even cheaper than replacing a tube! If you have one of the two channels boosted and the "input link" switch connection is dirty, one can bleed over to the other. At any rate, never hurts to spray some cleaner in there.

EDIT - As HollisBrown says, replacing a tube (especially in a modern amp which uses easily obtainable tubes) totally isn't a big deal. As I'm always telling customers, your grandma used to do this all the time.

After The War fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 13, 2012

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Is the reverb turned up?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I heard that tube heads are way more flexible with the resistance of a cab. Could I plug a 8 ohm tube Traynor head into a 4 ohm cab and have it be ok?

It's usually the other way around solid state amps don't much care one way or another what the speaker load is, but tube amps need to have a proper load on them all the time or you risk damaging the output transformer.
Usually if it is a larger load it's ok, does the cab have multiple speakers?
If they are 2 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel and you re-wire in series you should end up with a 16 ohm load. Which should be ok.
If you have a tech you trust talk it over with them and get their opinion on it.

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 13, 2012

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Well, I didn't *officially* do the pencils tap test. Instead I noted the following:

-amp produced feedback, static, and ghost noises, creaking and such, even when no notes were being played.

-happened no matter what inputs I used

-when I used my sustain pedal, all notes were accompanied by an amplified glass clinking together sound

- when I tapped, a light knock, actually, the top of the amp, I heard the echoes of the tap creaking and groaning out the speaker

-it was a refurbished restock

So what do you guys think?

In any case, I'm just going to let the guarantee take care of this one.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yep, brand new, screw it, bring it back.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Yay! Restocked AC30 getting replaced by a brand new one for only $25 more!

You know, a bit after the fact, but I guess I'll ask anyway. I opted not to get the hand wired AC15, cause it didn't have an effects loop/true bypass. I use a lot of delay and such, and prefer a clean or mostly clean tone (hence the vox). Was it the right move of going with the regular AC30 that does have the Loop, over the (assumedly much nicer) Handwired AC 15?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Bananana posted:

Yay! Restocked AC30 getting replaced by a brand new one for only $25 more!

You know, a bit after the fact, but I guess I'll ask anyway. I opted not to get the hand wired AC15, cause it didn't have an effects loop/true bypass. I use a lot of delay and such, and prefer a clean or mostly clean tone (hence the vox). Was it the right move of going with the regular AC30 that does have the Loop, over the (assumedly much nicer) Handwired AC 15?

The issue is more that you want clean, and the lower-power AC15 starts to distort well before you reach "hold your own against a drumset" volume level. You made the right choice - the AC15 is for people who want the more broken-up British garage sound.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I love the sound of a Fender Tweed Deluxe and rather than simply buying one, I thought I'd try and build one.

There are a few kits around but in a quest to make this as difficult for myself as possible and to hopefully learn something about amps in the process I'm going to research and buy all the parts myself.

Sounds simple in my head.

Has anyone here had experience building amps (more specifically the 5e3 circuit) ?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amplifier-Handbook-Understanding-Amplifiers/dp/087930863X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340160697&sr=8-1

This book may be of extreme use to you.

quote:

A guitar amp is as much responsible for the actual sound of an electric guitar as the guitar itself, but doesn't always get the attention it deserves. "The Guitar Amp Handbook" is a book aimed at taking the player - whether beginner, novice or professional - inside the amplifier to help them better understand the magic of that mysterious, often-neglected box that pumps out all the tone. "The Guitar Amp Handbook" will guide guitarists in selecting the best amplifier for their style of music, help them set-up that amp to sound its best, maintain and even modify it, and ultimately to craft the most responsive instrument possible from this 'other half' of the sound chain. More than all this, the book will provide tutorials, parts lists and diagrams to enable the reader to build a small range of popular classic-styled tube amps, and will talk to a selection of respected amp makers and designers about their craft, and their views on what goes into building a great amplifier.

http://www.amazon.com/Tube-Amp-Book-Revised-Hardcover/dp/0879307676/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340160807&sr=1-1

This has more specs, but the previous has more information.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 20, 2012

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

qball posted:

I love the sound of a Fender Tweed Deluxe and rather than simply buying one, I thought I'd try and build one.

There are a few kits around but in a quest to make this as difficult for myself as possible and to hopefully learn something about amps in the process I'm going to research and buy all the parts myself.

Sounds simple in my head.

Has anyone here had experience building amps (more specifically the 5e3 circuit) ?

I saw the youtube videos done from this site. It looks quite involved, yet quite rewarding.

http://tubedepot.com/kitsguitar.html

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

After The War posted:

The issue is more that you want clean, and the lower-power AC15 starts to distort well before you reach "hold your own against a drumset" volume level.
I hold my own against a drumset every Friday with an AC15 and a nice clean. Your drummer is probably playing too loud.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Schlieren posted:

Usually this is damage to the cone; they can be easily repaired by a technician or if you feel like tackling it too. There's this adhesive that fixes tears and things, a usual cause of this is the tines on a combo amp's cable tearing the cone during transport. You hit a bump or something and the plug is in the back of the amp, and there ya go: torn cone.

Do you have any suggestion for guides on how to repair this myself? I see a bunch but I don't know which ones to trust.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Dolphin posted:

I hold my own against a drumset every Friday with an AC15 and a nice clean. Your drummer is probably playing too loud.

Yeah. The sales guy at guitars center said his friend used some device to monitor how much wattage he actually used on stage for a show, and said he never got above 8 before it was too loud for the small venue. I'm no rock star yet, so I've yet to play anything larger than ~150 person bar venues. As such, he had me convinced on skimping on watts, and instead putting my money towards quality of build. I almost bought the little 15 watt, twice (even chewed around the idea of leaving Vox to get a little Orange, though I know nothing of their sound) , but always the lack of an effects loop scared me off.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. Is a Fender Champ 600 worth 99 bucks? My local Sam Ash is clearancing 'em. I've currently got a Vox DA5 I rather like.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Noise Machine posted:

Do you have any suggestion for guides on how to repair this myself? I see a bunch but I don't know which ones to trust.

PM sent

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Warcabbit posted:

Hm. Is a Fender Champ 600 worth 99 bucks? My local Sam Ash is clearancing 'em. I've currently got a Vox DA5 I rather like.

For $99 you can't go wrong. It's got a decent sound. $99 is below cost (I bought mine for more than that).

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, you have one? Sweet. Tell me about it, and what you can do with it. Is it worth getting if I have a perfectly good non-tube practice amp? I don't really want to get loud.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Anybody actually try the 65amps Ventura yet? I've got an Orange AD30TC right now but I don't particularly want the super Orange sound anymore, and the Ventura is looking really interesting as a replacement. I've seen it listed at a lot of places for sale, but none of them have it in stock (and the 65amps page still lists it as coming soon so I'm not sure).

(of course, if I had $4k to blow, I'd buy a Producer, but that seems like it would be COMPLETELY STUPID of me)

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
To sort of carry on from my post in the effects thread, I'm in need of some new gear. I play mostly stoner stuff and want to finally get a tube amp, around $800 or so. I'd like to get that kyuss/nebula/truckfighters sound. Probably something in the 30 or 40 watt range. I like the orange tiny terror, but is 15 watt really enough if I did some shows with it? I also checked out the laney vc30 and blackstar 40 watt. Blackstar seems like a good deal, but the orange especially seemed to blow it away in the demos I listened to.