Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
It just looked poodle-ish to me. :shobon: I've seen goldendoodles who look a lot like that.

fake edit: I didn't think there was such thing as a truly hypoallergenic breed? I know some breeds aggravate allergies less, but aren't hypoallergenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love that Nori is bigger than Bea. :3: At least it looks like he is in that picture.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Azrael Alexander posted:

It just looked poodle-ish to me. :shobon: I've seen goldendoodles who look a lot like that.

fake edit: I didn't think there was such thing as a truly hypoallergenic breed? I know some breeds aggravate allergies less, but aren't hypoallergenic.

Poodles, Bichons, Maltese, Havanese, Wheatens and other breeds with hair instead of fur are considered non-allergenic They don't shed or produce dander, but people with severe allergies should avoid any dog regardless.

There's a reason goldendoodles are bred down to that size and look, and that reason is people are too stupid to realize a breed already exists that looks exactly like that.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
All dogs produce dander, (it's just skin flakes etc. that all animals shed), but the long-haired non-shedding breeds tend to trap it in their coat instead of releasing it into the environment. That's why they may trigger allergies less than other breeds.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

It depends on the proteins the dog produces, too. Darker dogs produce more allergens than lighter ones. I don't even have dog allergies, but shaving down a black poodle will get me every time! The allergens are released in saliva, too, so if the dog is drooly or licks a bunch it can make it worse. My sister who has terrible allergies can be around Buddy for awhile no problem, but if he licks her she gets a rash.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

WolfensteinBag posted:

The allergens are released in saliva, too, so if the dog is drooly or licks a bunch it can make it worse.

Barkers too, they aerosolize and project the saliva. A lot of people don't consider size either. A big dog with a lot of surface area is going to produce more dander than a small dog. That's what always irked me about people bringing in their goldendoodles for grooming, I'm sure there are nice ones out there somewhere but the ones we always got were giant "nonshedding" untrained morons that barked nonstop and slimed everyone within reach.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

WolfensteinBag posted:

Darker dogs produce more allergens than lighter ones.

Wow is this true? It sounds like one of those myths people believe cause it's just so simple but if it's really true that's very cool.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I suggest we ask for scientific proof.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

This was posted in Lovedump, but I can't get over the way the dog looks. Is it a cattahoula leopard dog? How did it get such distincting breaks in its coat pattern?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It looks like maybe a GSD/Catahoula mix. Either way, holy gently caress, give it to me. :stare:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If that dog's name isn't Harvey, I'm sorely disappointed.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It looks A LOT like another dog I know.

Not sure what she is - random herder mutt.

The split face is a relatively common genetic expression of some... pattern or other. Again, it's not uncommon in border collies. Very good looking dog!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

wtftastic posted:

This was posted in Lovedump, but I can't get over the way the dog looks. Is it a cattahoula leopard dog? How did it get such distincting breaks in its coat pattern?

It is a purebred Awesome Dog. I would snatch that up in a heartbeat :allears:

One of the reasons I love smooth-faced Pyrenean Shepherds so much is that a lot seem to have very distinct/awesome patterns, like this lovely looking dog:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 8, 2012

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
:eng101: The split face you see in tortoiseshell cats, harlequin rabbits and dogs such as the above is due to the way pigment migrates in the developing embryo.

Imagine a little guy walking down a rabbit's spine dealing cards left and right as he goes. There will be a random pattern of red and black cards on either side. Now imagine the cards are replaced with tins of red and black paint, which the little guy then kicks over. The red and black paint will drizzle down the side of the rabbit, and they'll form bands of colour which aren't exactly perfect because paint doesn't drizzle in perfectly straight lines.

That's pretty simplified, but hopefully you get the picture. All the pigment cells are initially stored in the 'neural crest' (proto-spine) of the embryo, and gradually they migrate over the body. In some cases, there will be both red and black pigment cells in the neural crest and they will align themselves pretty randomly. The exact markings of (for example) a tortoiseshell cat are also influenced by environmental factors as the pigment migrates. If you cloned a tortoiseshell cat, the two clones would not have identical markings.

SO, a split face dawg has a split face because in the tiny developing embryo, there was a red pigment cell on one side of the proto-head and a black pigment cell on the other :)

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

"The Dog Whisperer" was cancelled! http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/06/natgeo-cancels-dog-whisperer/ :toot:

Rumor is he's getting another show but I'm hopeful that it'll be a new premise and not focused on "training" dogs.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

notsoape posted:

:eng101: The split face you see in tortoiseshell cats, harlequin rabbits and dogs such as the above is due to the way pigment migrates in the developing embryo.

Imagine a little guy walking down a rabbit's spine dealing cards left and right as he goes. There will be a random pattern of red and black cards on either side. Now imagine the cards are replaced with tins of red and black paint, which the little guy then kicks over. The red and black paint will drizzle down the side of the rabbit, and they'll form bands of colour which aren't exactly perfect because paint doesn't drizzle in perfectly straight lines.

That's pretty simplified, but hopefully you get the picture. All the pigment cells are initially stored in the 'neural crest' (proto-spine) of the embryo, and gradually they migrate over the body. In some cases, there will be both red and black pigment cells in the neural crest and they will align themselves pretty randomly. The exact markings of (for example) a tortoiseshell cat are also influenced by environmental factors as the pigment migrates. If you cloned a tortoiseshell cat, the two clones would not have identical markings.

SO, a split face dawg has a split face because in the tiny developing embryo, there was a red pigment cell on one side of the proto-head and a black pigment cell on the other :)

I figured the explanation had to be something akin to that. Do you know what gene is responsible for that kind of patterning? I'm being lazy, but I amsure the internet knows!

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
People who abandon animals suck. I was headed back to work after lunch today and saw a little wirehaired dachshund wandering down the side of the road. This is on a dirt road in the middle of a bunch of cornfields in the middle of nowhere. Why the hell would you abandon a dog there? There are no houses for miles. What's he supposed to do, learn to eat corn? The poor thing is filthy and hungry and absolutely crawling with fleas. Fuckers.

So now I get to miss a couple of hour's pay because I have to leave early to get to the shelter on time and pay a $20 surrender fee so I can take care of somebody else's heartless irresponsibility.

If I ever catch somebody dropping a dog off out here they won't find the body until harvest time. Absolute fuckers.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
WHERE IS CRISCO THERE SURELY ARE KITTENS BY NOW!

It's been what, 5-6 weeks since he posted saying she was pregnant? Cat gestation is only 9 weeks...

I want frizz kitties!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Maybe he fell into a kitten pile and was devoured.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

SuperTwo posted:

"The Dog Whisperer" was cancelled! http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/06/natgeo-cancels-dog-whisperer/ :toot:

Rumor is he's getting another show but I'm hopeful that it'll be a new premise and not focused on "training" dogs.

Too late to undo years of damage but hahahhaha YES.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Crisco did comment recently that he has about 3500 cats now, so it sounds like Frizz already popped.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

wtftastic posted:

I figured the explanation had to be something akin to that. Do you know what gene is responsible for that kind of patterning? I'm being lazy, but I amsure the internet knows!

In rabbitlady code it is part of the 'E' series ('E' stands for 'extension'). 'E' stands for normal extension and is dominant over both 'ej' (harlequin/magpie) and 'e' (red). 'ej' is also dominant over 'e'. 'Extension' basically refers to the distribution of red and black pigment in individual hairs. Normal agouti hairs are banded red and black. In 'e' rabbits there is no black pigment, so every hair is red (tho there is an exception, but we won't complicate things). In harlequin rabbits, some hairs are completely red and others are completely black. I can throw up some pictures to illustrate this if anyone is interested :)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I'm interested.

You should make a spergy rabbit-genetics thread! I find genetic stuff quite interesting to think about/work out.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Fraction posted:

I'm interested.

You should make a spergy rabbit-genetics thread! I find genetic stuff quite interesting to think about/work out.

She did, for anyone who has archives. It was cool while it lasted!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SuperTwo posted:

Here's hoping the new show dies, as does his stupid line of products that are pretty lovely. This is the best news.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

notsoape posted:

In rabbitlady code it is part of the 'E' series ('E' stands for 'extension'). 'E' stands for normal extension and is dominant over both 'ej' (harlequin/magpie) and 'e' (red). 'ej' is also dominant over 'e'. 'Extension' basically refers to the distribution of red and black pigment in individual hairs. Normal agouti hairs are banded red and black. In 'e' rabbits there is no black pigment, so every hair is red (tho there is an exception, but we won't complicate things). In harlequin rabbits, some hairs are completely red and others are completely black. I can throw up some pictures to illustrate this if anyone is interested :)

I took genetics in college but we didn't cover a lot of the more "exciting" or exotic colorations precisely because of how difficult they get.

We spent a lot of time talking about cross over frequency and recombination though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Don't know how many of you guys browse GBS, but this was posted:

http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba

Shiba Inu puppy cam!

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

a life less posted:

She did, for anyone who has archives. It was cool while it lasted!

Ha; that one fizzled out because one of my two bucks broke his leg in a freak accident and had to be euthed. And then I had to reconstruct my entire breeding programme :negative:

'K, I'll put up some pictures a little later. For now, here is a conformation pop quiz. Here are two pictures of Mouse; one at 11 1/2 months old and one at 12 1/2 months old. I am generally pleased with her conformation, but there are a couple of things I would change. One is height, another is underjaw. However, there is one other more major fault that keeps annoying me. What do you think it is? And what do you think I am pleased with about her structure?

N.b. Please don't hold back on your opinions because you think I'll be offended - it will not injure my self esteem in the slightest if you critique my dog! :)

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Shiba Inu puppy cam!

The little one with his legs in the air is so cute :3:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well I'm not a conformation expert but I'd say in that second picture Mouse has another dog growing from her underside and maybe that shouldn't be there.

:v:

I can't critique such a pretty dog! One that's pretty good at getting rabbits and rats, too. Your dog can actually do what she's bred to do. That puts her head-and-shoulders above 'show dogs' of all breeds.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I really want the problem to be w/ the tail but it's probably the humpback.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Her shoulder looks pretty upright, and my eye has always wandered to the point where her shoulder/chest/neck meet. Is there something funky in there?

The dip before the roach of the back might not be ideal either. sighthounds :iiam:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

a life less posted:

The dip before the roach of the back might not be ideal either. sighthounds :iiam:

That's what I don't like. And I don't like the way she shapes her assend, but I think she just likes to stand weird for your pictures and it's not actually conformation.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Yup, her shoulder kinda sucks. The scapula is too short/small and also too upright. It's what I would call a 'stuffy' shoulder, and it's the cause of her short and low set neck too. It definitely affects her gait (she walks a bit downhill), and she has to work a little harder to lower her head for a take. Luckily, she's so small and close to the ground anyway it doesn't matter in the same way that it would for a larger dog. Also, scapulas are one of the last bones to finish growing, and she's started to muscle up and honestly looks better every day :). She is a Bedlington mix, and even the working line Beds are pretty bizarre structurally. I don't think it will be a huge impediment to her performance in the field, but if I were ever to breed from her down the line, I would obviously be looking to improve on that shoulder when looking for a sire.

I'm glad nobody said 'butt high' because she really isn't; she's just arched over the loin with flatter withers. That outline is pretty common in racing/coursing whippets. If I were to critique her further I would say her croup is a little too upright, and as a puppy she was quite herring gutted (even for a whippet), but she is really beginning to fill out a lot as she matures :).

There's a ton about her I really like, though - love those rear angles, powerful loin, straight legs, arched toes and nicely sloped pasterns. Overall she's pretty moderate, which is what I was looking for in a puppy.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I really like Mouse's overall look. She's a very pretty looking dog.

By the way, I've wondered before if Lola has some sighthound in there somewhere, based on the crazy, sighthound-y dip between her ribs and back legs (loin?). Her dad is a farm terrier so it's possible he isn't full Jack. But I've seen some other weird looking JRTs around that aren't related to Lola AFAIK, so I'm not sure if they just run strange in my area or not.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

El Gar posted:

Wow is this true? It sounds like one of those myths people believe cause it's just so simple but if it's really true that's very cool.

It is! I don't know the protein off the top of my head, but I'll look it up later, I remember reading the actual one before.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Kind of bummed here. It looks like my grandmother is probably going to have to put her old dog to sleep. :( The dog is a 12-year-old Westie, she's pretty much completely blind, and now she's developing something where her legs periodically stop working. My grandmother's own health and mental state are really deteriorating as well, so that's a lot for her to try to manage. But it's pretty rough for her to have to make this decision.

The thing that really makes me sad is that I'm actually kind of relieved. With my grandmother's health declining and her husband being pretty flaky at the best of times, the "who inherits the dog and what then" question has kind of been in everyone's mind. She's a sweet little dog and she's mellowed a lot with age but besides the health problems she's...a minimally-trained terrier who likes to do terrier stuff like digging and barking and chasing cats and being stubborn, and doesn't have a lot of other constructive hobbies.

Anyway. Here she is around Easter, being a good girl with assorted generations of people.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
^^^It was really tough when they had to put my grandparents' Westie to sleep, but she was having pretty serious medical problems and sometimes it's just time to go. :smith: Then they decided to adopt a young cat from the animal shelter (previously they had only owned dogs from breeders) and brought home an orange tabby boy who has become my grandmother's constant companion and a total lovebug. Having a sweet, gentle lapcat who is content to watch tv with you all afternoon is the perfect thing when you aren't very mobile any more. :unsmith:

Question: So after hanging around here for a while and reading all the way through the old random nonsense and cat FAQ back before I adopted my cat, I've noticed people keep asking the same questions again and again (which litter to buy, where to get a good cat tree, etc) because they're difficult to find scattered throughout the threads. I know I had a hard time finding product recommendations myself and people have asked in the past what happened to an old recommendations thread. How would people feel about me writing up a few effortposts for a new product recommendations thread? Maybe someone else could do some dog posts for it, or I could just make a cat-specific thread. This would be based on what I've read of the collective PI cat lady wisdom, of course, not just my own opinions.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Shiba Inu puppy cam!

:eng101: For those not in the know, this is Ayumi's first litter and she is from SFShiba's very first puppy cam litter and their fourth overall. Ayumi's mom has retired from having puppies (three litters) and most of their dogs have done very well with health testing and shows.

They've also been really sweet and started networking our rescue a little. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Robo Kitty posted:

Question: So after hanging around here for a while and reading all the way through the old random nonsense and cat FAQ back before I adopted my cat, I've noticed people keep asking the same questions again and again (which litter to buy, where to get a good cat tree, etc) because they're difficult to find scattered throughout the threads. I know I had a hard time finding product recommendations myself and people have asked in the past what happened to an old recommendations thread. How would people feel about me writing up a few effortposts for a new product recommendations thread? Maybe someone else could do some dog posts for it, or I could just make a cat-specific thread. This would be based on what I've read of the collective PI cat lady wisdom, of course, not just my own opinions.

I think a new product recommendations thread is a great idea, but I think you should keep it all-animal inclusive.

• Locked thread