Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socrates
Nov 2, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

This is one one weirdly unfocused article:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1093917-strikeforce-why-american-society-needs-ronda-rousey

Are you loving serious

MMA Journalism ™

If he had dug deeper, he'd see that Ronda doesn't seem to interested in being a stereotypical role model. She seems to enjoy the company of those naughty Diaz brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
yes she's quite rowdy

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
She's also really not that bright. I've watched some of her interviews and her testimony in front of the California board trying to add the mma version of the Ali law was just painful. Zuffa sent her because she's a pretty woman champ and the board was mostly women. She's an incredible fighter, though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

So the only thing girls these days could look up to before the advent of sweaty, punchy Marie Curie was the Kardashians, Snooki and underaged pregnant teens?

:stare:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Which is which? Does it matter?

Brian is the ginger with the invisible briefcases

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So the only thing girls these days could look up to before the advent of sweaty, punchy Marie Curie was the Kardashians, Snooki and underaged pregnant teens?

:stare:

You don't frequently hear women look up to someone like Grace Hopper. Even women don't care about smart women. Women are the biggest critics of other women's appearance. There are plenty of brilliant role models out there, but very few actually care about them.

I like Ronda quite a bit, but she's a lot like the Diaz brothers.

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opt...4:organizations

Middleeasy / Layzie the Savage willfully assumes Braulio is lying, when most likely he's just confusing the names. Layzie is even the one who brings Rousey's name into it.

MMA Journalism ™

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

gunblade posted:

http://middleeasy.com/index.php?opt...4:organizations

Middleeasy / Layzie the Savage willfully assumes Braulio is lying, when most likely he's just confusing the names. Layzie is even the one who brings Rousey's name into it.

MMA Journalism ™

Every other article on Middle Easy has something to do with how awesome the Diaz brothers/209 are

color me surprised

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess
Yeah, but this marks a new low for them in my opinion. Luckily everyone is calling them on it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Isn't LazietheSavage the fat neckbeard who unironically coined the term Zuffa Zombie?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Why Nick Diaz is a sweet blameless child who cannot possibly be expected to display agency characteristic of human beings or take responsibility for anything ever, by Second Dumbest Fucker Of All Time

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

breadbugs99 posted:

Why Nick Diaz is a sweet blameless child who cannot possibly be expected to display agency characteristic of human beings or take responsibility for anything ever, by Second Dumbest Fucker Of All Time

Why would someone who booked Nick Diaz to show up write an article after he didn't?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
In fairness, that guy isn't really a journalist, he's just a hanger on who owns a camera, so journalistic fundamentals like checking to see if something is true are lost on him

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

breadbugs99 posted:

In fairness, that guy isn't really a journalist, he's just a hanger on who owns a camera, so journalistic fundamentals like checking to see if something is true are lost on him

keep in mind he goes by Layzie the Savage

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

-Atom- posted:

keep in mind he goes by Layzie the Savage

sounds more credible than chiappetta

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

quote:

I'd like to apologize to @BraulioEstima for this misunderstanding and my accusations. I do have terrible hearing but I wasn't the only person that thought he had said "Ronda." Someone next to me said, "Rousey."
So I asked Estima, "Ronda Rousey saw you weigh in?"
Simple miscommunication.
So I apologize also for bringing Ronda Rousey into the picture. I would never intentionally start a rumor about anyone or drag someone into a situation just to try and make someone else look better or worse...
Everything that I said or posted was in reference to what I was being told by the GracieFighter camp, and apparently, they were just as misinformed as I was.
This being the reason for my questions during the media scrum about the weigh in situation, stemming from an unorganized promotion and the lack of communication between all parties involved, including myself.
As far as my support for the Cesar Gracie Camp goes...
I've always said that I'm not a reporter, just a videographer trying to bring you cool stuff to watch.
I'll always be a fan, and not just of the Gracie Camp, but of all fighters and this sport.
I try to get as much information for you guys during times when information is impossible to get,
but it's only comes back to bite me in the rear end,
so I've decided to take a step back, and let things run their own course.
Which includes NOT covering Nick's NSAC hearing next week, or anything else involving his career.
I also ask that you please refrain from holding a grudge against anyone at MiddleEasy.com or the site itself.
They we're only posting what I was relaying to them.
I wish everyone involved the best of luck in their future endeavors and I apologize again to Braulio Estima for any inconvenience I may have caused you with the things I've posted or said.
Sincerely, Michael "LayzieTheSavage" Mardones

MMA Journalism at its finest

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I hate the kind of people who even when they clearly hosed up and are wrong, they still make themselves out to be the victim and then spin it into "you will all get your wish: I won't give you anything anymore! (Now you'll see how much you needed me!!)". Basically Brian from the JRE.

I saw that on the UG too and I am happy most of the posters there are still calling him an rear end in a top hat and that his apology sounds backhanded/forced.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

-Atom- posted:

MMA Journalism at its finest

Ahahahahahah does he really think people will come crawling back and say PLEEEASE THE LAZY SAVAGE WE MISS YOU WE NEED THE IPHONE LOW BATTERY VIDEO OF NICK DIAZ RIDEING A BIKE

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm going to stop doing it anyway!

The worst.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

Bubba Smith posted:

I hate the kind of people who even when they clearly hosed up and are wrong, they still make themselves out to be the victim and then spin it into "you will all get your wish: I won't give you anything anymore! (Now you'll see how much you needed me!!)". Basically Brian from the JRE.

I saw that on the UG too and I am happy most of the posters there are still calling him an rear end in a top hat and that his apology sounds backhanded/forced.

Would you expect anything else from a Nick Diaz nuthugger?

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/14/3018514/nick-diaz-braulio-estima-superfight-no-show-mma-media

Bloody Elbow has a great article up that clearly explains everything around this Diaz nonsense and why Layzie is a dickhead.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
surely no one will ridicule me for reading a 10 page article about how exactly layzie_the_savage did a bad reporting on a jiu jitsu showmatch involving the 209's nick diaz

Socrates
Nov 2, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Layzie screwed up, he let his bias cloud his judgment. But he apologized quickly, directly and whole-heartedly when he got the facts straight. He added the context to his apology show that his mistake wasn't made maliciously. Layzie didn't say he wasn't his fault, just explaining things that contributed to his mistake.

I enjoy his videos and commentary, and the Diaz Bros., and MMA, probably gained a lot of fans over the last year through Layzie and MiddleEasy's publicity. I hope he doesn't take this too hard and stays active.

His situation illustrates the risks of being a both a media personality and a friend and de facto publicist for fighters.

Socrates fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 14, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Socrates posted:

Layzie screwed up, he let his bias cloud his judgment. But he apologized quickly, directly and whole-heartedly when he got the facts straight. He added the context to his apology show that his mistake wasn't made maliciously. Layzie didn't say he wasn't his fault, just explaining things that contributed to his mistake.

I enjoy his videos and commentary, and the Diaz Bros., and MMA, probably gained a lot of fans over the last year through Layzie and MiddleEasy's publicity. I hope he doesn't take this too hard and stays active.

His situation illustrates the risks of being a both a media personality and a friend and de facto publicist for fighters.

Thank you I was honestly wondering if the type of mental retardation that caused Fedor fans to exist was the same type that causes Diaz fans to exist and now I know for sure

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Socrates posted:

I agree, I think Layzie is still a force in mma journalism but he has bad management and could really do well to drop a weightclass in this new age of mma journalism.

e: just wanted to reiterate that it's not Layzie's fault and he is still the best mma journalist ever

e2: There is nothing on record of Layzie doing or saying anything racist. There is a public record of him showing familiarity and ease with other races, and of specifically rebuking racist and nationalist ideologies.

e3: Layzie looked outmatched, but not embarrassed, and I think he added to his legend by taking an epic beating and never quitting. His survival under mount was inspiring. He took a lot of bombs and never stopped defending himself or trying to escape.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 14, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

i liked his "i'm not a reporter" defense

Socrates
Nov 2, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I agree, I think Layzie is still a force in mma journalism but he has bad management and could really do well to drop a weightclass in this new age of mma journalism.

e: just wanted to reiterate that it's not Layzie's fault and he is still the best mma journalist ever

e2: There is nothing on record of Layzie doing or saying anything racist. There is a public record of him showing familiarity and ease with other races, and of specifically rebuking racist and nationalist ideologies.

e3: Layzie looked outmatched, but not embarrassed, and I think he added to his legend by taking an epic beating and never quitting. His survival under mount was inspiring. He took a lot of bombs and never stopped defending himself or trying to escape.

This is awesome :)

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
can you imagine what Layzie would be like if he got below 7% body fat

can you

:ssj:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
And I move slowly up the MMA Journalist rankings :feelsgood:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the day that the old dudes at ESPN die and leave the young dude's in charge so they can put proper focus on MMA and make every other journalist source redundant can't come fast enough

Socrates
Nov 2, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maffew buildings posted:

the day that the old dudes at ESPN die and leave the young dude's in charge so they can put proper focus on MMA and make every other journalist source redundant can't come fast enough

Sounds boring to me.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

willie_dee posted:

And I move slowly up the MMA Journalist rankings :feelsgood:

Now I need to see some kind of Mortal Kombat style ladder with Willie moving up.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I came very very close to doing something extremely dumb, even for me, in the name of journalistic integrity.

(local event needed a few replacements, one of which I am only 2kg under weight for)

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Ahahahahahah does he really think people will come crawling back and say PLEEEASE THE LAZY SAVAGE WE MISS YOU WE NEED THE IPHONE LOW BATTERY VIDEO OF NICK DIAZ RIDEING A BIKE

just another fat dude with a beard striving for relevance in this hosed up world of mma...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

willie_dee posted:

I came very very close to doing something extremely dumb, even for me, in the name of journalistic integrity.

(local event needed a few replacements, one of which I am only 2kg under weight for)

Merely being in the presence of JT does not make one a good fighter, if it did cans wouldn't be taking dives for Kimbo.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Merely being in the presence of JT does not make one a good fighter, if it did cans wouldn't be taking dives for Kimbo.

I had no illusions whats so ever that it would be anything other than "well, either the fights cancelled and the spectators miss a fight, or we get to see some idiot get knocked out in 60 seconds"

But then I would be able to say to other journalists "do you even train?!" and if they do, take it to the next level with "do you even fight!?"

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

So there's a new contender in the pound for pound list of dumbest lists:

http://www.cagepotato.com/fightmatrix-releases-division-dominance-rankings-and-youll-be-kind-of-surprised-who-is-1/

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

This is one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
http://www.fightopinion.com/2012/06/16/battle-dca-csac/#more-12560

Learn how an athletic commission can increase their spending for no apparent reason and drive all big fights out of their state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bundt Cake posted:

http://www.fightopinion.com/2012/06/16/battle-dca-csac/#more-12560

Learn how an athletic commission can increase their spending for no apparent reason and drive all big fights out of their state

This is actually a really good piece of journalism, but the way it's formatted and written it's kind of hard to follow. Fortunately the research is pretty exhaustive.

• Locked thread