Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Williams Sonoma and Beth Bath and Beyond are everywhere.

Trying Globals at Williams Sonoma helped me avoid that purchase. Hated the handles. But I think they're for righties only, so that's part of it, but I just don't like the feel of metal handles in general.

I don't think they're right-handed only, but when I tried some, the guy at SLT told me they were designed for "small Asian hands". They were too small for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Williams Sonoma and Beth Bath and Beyond are everywhere.

Trying Globals at Williams Sonoma helped me avoid that purchase. Hated the handles. But I think they're for righties only, so that's part of it, but I just don't like the feel of metal handles in general.

You're a lefty too? :respek:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manuel Calavera posted:

You're a lefty too? :respek:

Yes and I'm pretty sure our similarities stop there.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I'm not a fan of how light Globals are, but they got a lot easier to use when I started holding knives correctly (pinching the blade).

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm left handed but I use right-handed Shun Classics. They actually think they feel more comfortable than the lefty version. Maybe if I used the left handed ones enough, I'd get used to them or something.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Mr Executive posted:

I'm left handed but I use right-handed Shun Classics. They actually think they feel more comfortable than the lefty version. Maybe if I used the left handed ones enough, I'd get used to them or something.
Being left handed I find I do lots of weird poo poo like this. I'm right eyed but I pull the trigger on a pistol with my left index finger

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Being left handed I find I do lots of weird poo poo like this. I'm right eyed but I pull the trigger on a pistol with my left index finger

Same here. Being left handed but right eye dominant makes rifle shooting a bitch.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Same here. Being left handed but right eye dominant makes rifle shooting a bitch.

I played baseball my whole life and I batted right hand for some reason. This wasn't an issue until I started playing tennis in college/later. I play tennis left handed, but a backhand just happens to be my baseball swing. Took a couple years before I wouldn't just hit the drat tennis ball over the fence with every back hand. I still do it every once in a while.

Edit: Also being married is lame. Wearing a ring on your left hand blows when you use that hand to do everything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is getting a tattoo there instead of a ring an option?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I write left handed, play baseball left handed, I'm right footed in soccer, play disc golf and golf right handed, and in basketball I dribble with my right but shoot with my left. I'm just confused.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes and I'm pretty sure our similarities stop there.

I'm right-eye dominant too, how odd. And I know you love me, there's similarities there :3:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Checking in. Left handed and right-eye dominant. What's even worse is that my left eye has much better vision than my right eye. I solved the rifle problem by shooting rifles right-handed, but I shoot pistols with my left. Weird all around.

That said, I use Globals and didn't notice they were right-handed until my wife pointed it out to me. I switched from a Wusthof and I like the Globals so much better.

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 8, 2012

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

Right handed and left eye dominant is worse. Essentially all rifles are designed for use in the right hand anyway. Shooting left handed is super lame when you are right handed...

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I've recently been moved from stock guy to Kitchen section at the retail store I work at and I've been working my way through this thread over the last couple days to help me catch up on product knowledge. Unfortunately now I want everything. Apparently we used to stock Victorinox knives but no longer do. Price-wise it seems like Scanpan is filling in the equivalent price range. They're a Denmark company and they claim their stuff is made in Denmark, but it's a little tough to believe at the price range I see them at.

Has anyone had good experiences with any of Scanpan's lines? While I can't exactly disparage the home brand we sell, I'd like to be able to recommend theirs as a decent alternative for a little more money.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ahmeni posted:

They're a Denmark company and they claim their stuff is made in Denmark, but it's a little tough to believe at the price range I see them at.

Technically they only claim that their aluminum cookware is made in Denmark. They don't mention the knives or other pieces. I have one of their stainless steel roasting racks, and it's been great (sits level, cleans up easy, nice smooth welds, no rust even when I forgot it and left it soaking for a long weekend, etc), but I remember the box definitely saying it was made in China, and one Amazon review says that a knife was "made in China with German steel". My first guess would be that it's like All-Clad - pots and pans made in the home country, everything else outsourced.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Knives have a handedness to them?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bunnielab posted:

My impression is that knives which are sharpened on both sides of the blade are ambidextrous, but Japanese ones which are only sharpened on one side are designed for a specific handedness.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Josh Lyman posted:

My impression is that knives which are sharpened on both sides of the blade are ambidextrous, but Japanese ones which are only sharpened on one side are designed for a specific handedness.

Are there any common knife brands that do this (besides bread knives)? All the ones I've seen at places like SLT are always 50/50.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bunnielab posted:

They don't all have symmetrical handles.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

ahmeni posted:

I've recently been moved from stock guy to Kitchen section at the retail store I work at and I've been working my way through this thread over the last couple days to help me catch up on product knowledge. Unfortunately now I want everything. Apparently we used to stock Victorinox knives but no longer do. Price-wise it seems like Scanpan is filling in the equivalent price range. They're a Denmark company and they claim their stuff is made in Denmark, but it's a little tough to believe at the price range I see them at.

Has anyone had good experiences with any of Scanpan's lines? While I can't exactly disparage the home brand we sell, I'd like to be able to recommend theirs as a decent alternative for a little more money.

Their pots and pans are really good, but very expensive (in a you-get-what-you-pay-for kind of way). No experience with their knives.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

I've decided I'm going to start baking more and want to get a decent stand mixer to make mostly cake type things with some bread thrown in there too. I have an opportunity to get one of the kitchenaid Artisan 5 qt stand mixers for $192 out the door. I've seen the prices on these things jump from $240ish up to $350ish in the last few months, but I feel like $192 is a good deal. The Artisan should work fine for me don't you think? I'm not going to be making huge amounts of anything, and I don't know how much heavy dudty bread I'll be kneading, so I'm thinking this will have enough power to do the job.

My wife does a lot of baking and stuff so we got a Kenwood Chef http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Premier-KMC560-Kitchen-Machine/dp/B000PMLGQU/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1339408823&sr=1-17 like this one which has been really good. In terms of Mixers I would really recommend it for general purpose mixing.

Doh004 posted:

I had this issue last night. I was pan searing a steak in one of my mcp skillets (I don't have a cast iron skillet... yet). After I flipped the steak once, all of the sudden the entire side of the pan (not touching the meat) started to get that black film on the top of it. What the hell was that?

I was able to scrub 90% of it off, but I'm going to have to BKF it this weekend because it's not so pretty anymore

I don't use a cast iron skillet for searing steaks personally, I use a copper cored stainless steel pan for that. I feel it gets up to temperature faster, distributes the heat nicely and I don't need it to retain a lot of heat as i'll only be using it for 2-2:30 mins. If you put a touch of oil in the pan and got it smoking then when you start searing the steaks the oil will tend to blacken and stain the pan a bit. Nothing i've not been able to get off with a pan scrubber before though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just a heads up that woot! has expanded their site a bit. If you go to home.woot.com they not only have the daily deal(fans), but they have other deals going on as well. Right now it's a collection of Wolfgang Puck kitchen items, as well as anolon ultra clad cookware. They had a bunch of Lodge cast iron pans/skillets the other day for decent prices, you guys might want to keep an eye out :).

I don't know anything about Anolon or Wolfgang Puck products though, so I'll leave the recommendations up to the pros :).

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

DoctaFun posted:

I don't know anything about Anolon or Wolfgang Puck products though, so I'll leave the recommendations up to the pros :).

I have an Anolon saucepan/saucier and it's actually a very nice pan. It's lasted me the better part of 7-8 years with frequent use, and it's still going strong.

The only problem with it is that it has that silicon(?) coating on the handles. You can still put them in the oven, but IIRC they're only heat-safe to a certain temperature.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Dead Of Winter posted:

I have an Anolon saucepan/saucier and it's actually a very nice pan. It's lasted me the better part of 7-8 years with frequent use, and it's still going strong.

The only problem with it is that it has that silicon(?) coating on the handles. You can still put them in the oven, but IIRC they're only heat-safe to a certain temperature.

The silicon handles on the Anolon Advanced we carry are rated oven safe to 400F, which isn't shabby, but I'm never sure weather or not that's a temperature they can stay for a while at or just a maximum safety.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I am leery about those ratings. I had a (no name) baking sheet with silicon grips that were supposed to be rated up to 400. After a couple sessions at 350, the grips melted and fell off. It was... interesting trying to clean that off the heating element in the bottom of the oven.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Who knows about portable home grade induction burners? My new apartment in Korea doesn't have a stove or any sort of cooking device and (having cooked for myself for 8 years and spending 3 of those in professional kitchens) I need to be able to cook.

What can't they do? At this point they are almost indistinguishable from magic.

If the burner surface area is smaller than the pot, is that a problem?

What do I need to know about them before I make the plunge?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DontAskKant posted:

Who knows about portable home grade induction burners? My new apartment in Korea doesn't have a stove or any sort of cooking device and (having cooked for myself for 8 years and spending 3 of those in professional kitchens) I need to be able to cook.

What can't they do? At this point they are almost indistinguishable from magic.

I had a Tatung for about three years and used it two or three times a week. It stopped working reliably about six months before it died for good, but at $80 or so I don't feel too bad about it. I'm planning on getting another unit one of these days, though I'll probably step up a little.

The hob works on ferrous metals (iron, carbon steel, most stainless steel) only. They don't work for crap with copper or aluminum, even if the copper has a stainless steel lining. You can get "induction-ready" aluminum pots, which have solid steel discs on the bottom to give the magnetic field something to bite onto. I've never had a problem with using enameled iron, but I'm told that some units don't like it.

DontAskKant posted:

If the burner surface area is smaller than the pot, is that a problem?

No, though I think you may shorten the unit life by trying to drive something too big for it. I used mine sometimes with a skillet that was (slightly) bigger than the entire hob unit. It complained if I tried to use it for more than about 30 minutes at a stretch, but mostly it was OK with it.

DontAskKant posted:

What do I need to know about them before I make the plunge?

Pan techniques that require a lot of movement can work... kinda. Depending on the unit, you have an inch or so of lift before the magnet thinks you've taken the pan away completely and shuts itself off. The "feel" is different, too, so you will have to spend some time re-learning your timing.

The hob does draw a lot of power, so make sure your wiring can handle it. A good home-use hob will draw 1500-1800 watts, which is typically OK alone, but will trip a breaker if you have other draws on the circuit.

Obviously you don't want to use it near things that are sensitive to magnetic interference. The manual had big warnings about not using it if you had a pacemaker, and I imagine you would not want to wear watches or ferrous jewelry while using it. They also included a warning about not putting your keys on the unit and turning it on, so I guess at one point someone thought that was a good idea. :confused:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I am in Seoul right now, so my options are really limited on the low end stuff. On our version of Amazon I see one for about $90 and one for $50, same model too, I have no idea why they are different prices. Just one of those things about Korea, don't ask too many questions. They are made in China so I am not holding out hope that it will be life changing. The only other option is getting a lovely hot plate or a portable gas canister stove. Using that everyday would get old though.

I was wondering about using it for flipping food. That will take some practice, flipping it so close to the hob. Pictures of the model in use show it boiling water in a glass pot on a tv show. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put up random pictures on the site. It's quite common. I am looking at This one

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DontAskKant posted:

Pictures of the model in use show it boiling water in a glass pot on a tv show. I wouldn't be surprised if they just put up random pictures on the site. It's quite common. I am looking at This one

That doesn't look much like an induction hob to me... I've never seen an induction cooktop light up like that, and the "Hilight" name is making me curious.

I think it's actually a single-burner version of those glass-ceramic-top ranges. They behave much more like conventional electric stoves than induction stoves do, and you just need flat-bottomed cookware, something that will make a pretty good contact surface. They'll work great for your purposes if you don't care about the particular advantages that induction offers.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Hmm, the ones at the shabu restaurants that are said to be induction light up too. Well, work is paying for it so if it sucks then I'll just pack it away next to the heater until I leave. Maybe it lights up for the same reason why vacuums make sound. That's what I'll tell myself for now. There are those and then another one that is $600.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well I impulsively ordered a thermapen after grilling some chicken and just wishing I had a reliable thermometer for it...I'm going to go ahead and not tell the girlfriend how much that cost, but it should make grilling easier!

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I'm just curious as to what the big deal is with the Thermapen. $80 or whatever for a simple thermometer seems ridiculous. I have a food network brand digital thermometer with a corded probe that I got for like $25 at Kohl's. It works great, has lasted for a few years, and I can leave it in a roast that's cooking in the over. I get that the Thermapen might be kinda cool, and durable, but I'm not really down with spending 3x the amount of money on a thermometer that does half as much as the one I have.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Executive posted:

I'm just curious as to what the big deal is with the Thermapen. $80 or whatever for a simple thermometer seems ridiculous. I have a food network brand digital thermometer with a corded probe that I got for like $25 at Kohl's. It works great, has lasted for a few years, and I can leave it in a roast that's cooking in the over. I get that the Thermapen might be kinda cool, and durable, but I'm not really down with spending 3x the amount of money on a thermometer that does half as much as the one I have.

They're two totally different things. You have an oven probe, which thermoworks also sells. Their version is $20 or so. The Thermapen is an instant read thermometer, and takes the temp of something in under 3 seconds. Your oven thermometer does not temp that quickly (but it doesn't need to, since it's designed ot be left in the food).

Most digital thermometers use a thermistor to measure temp, which is sloooow. The thermapen uses a thermocouple, making it faster but more expensive.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

They're two totally different things. You have an oven probe, which thermoworks also sells. Their version is $20 or so. The Thermapen is an instant read thermometer, and takes the temp of something in under 3 seconds. Your oven thermometer does not temp that quickly (but it doesn't need to, since it's designed ot be left in the food).

Most digital thermometers use a thermistor to measure temp, which is sloooow. The thermapen uses a thermocouple, making it faster but more expensive.

Sure, it doesn't get the temp in 3 seconds, but it probably only takes around 5 or 6 seconds. I use it as an instant read thermometer. A few seconds quicker would be nice, but I wouldn't consider buying a thermapen unless I checked the temp of every piece of food I cooked several times.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Out of curiosity, how high a temp can a Thermapen measure? I have this giant candy thermometer that really doesn't work out when I only need a cup of sugar for French buttercream or whatever. I already want a Thermapen but that would be a bonus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

King Hotpants posted:

Out of curiosity, how high a temp can a Thermapen measure? I have this giant candy thermometer that really doesn't work out when I only need a cup of sugar for French buttercream or whatever. I already want a Thermapen but that would be a bonus.

-58.0 to 572.0°F (-49.9 to 299.9°C)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use mine for candy making a lot. The downsides are twofold: you have to hold it and it automatically shuts off after a couple of minutes. You have to close it and reopen it to turn it back on. This can be challenging when the probe has been sitting in 290 degree sugar.

That said, I still reach for it because my candy thermometer doesn't sit well in the sloped pot I prefer for candymaking.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Because Thermapens use a thinner probe, they are also much easier to slide in and out of meat, and they don't leave gaping holes either. They're great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's pretty impressive how quickly the thermapen reacts. You can breathe on the probe and see the temperature rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

I use mine for candy making a lot. The downsides are twofold: you have to hold it and it automatically shuts off after a couple of minutes. You have to close it and reopen it to turn it back on. This can be challenging when the probe has been sitting in 290 degree sugar.

The current model (splash-proof) can be set to not shut off automatically. I've come pretty close to ordering one a few times, even though I already own one of the original models, because of this reason. Holy crap is it annoying when it shuts off in the middle of something important.

• Locked thread