Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Hey hey! I finally surpassed the rank of Fighter!! Then my PS3 locked up and I remembered that it's on its death bed. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
This is why I'm stuck with ps3 only. I gotta have the Saturn controller for fighting games.

The ps3 recognizes it as a generic usb controller. The 360 does not accept generic usb controllers. I've found that there are expensive ways to get a Saturn controller to work on a 360, but it involves either buying that ps2 Saturn controller for $100+, or buying a pair of expensive converting cables from Saturn-ps2, ps2-360.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! The guy in the video says that it will work with any usb controller. If that thing doesn't lag at all, I may get it.

By the way, what kinds of controllers are you guys using?

Asobu fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 9, 2012

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Due to financial necessity I used the default PS3 controller for a while. It wasn't bad, but it worked better for some characters (Doom) than others (Trish).

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Boxman posted:

I'm looking for a point who's easy enough to combo with. RIght now I'm thinking ______/Dante/Doom. I really like Doom and would like to keep him around. What are Vergil's baby/online combos? With missiles I can keep his poo poo safer, which also helps Dante with his teleport set ups. I can't really think of any other characters that would be appropriate, aside from trying to pick up Morrigan to play the lame game. Maybe Hawkeye, but not having him on anchor seems like a disservice. Can someone who enjoys this sort of thing ruminate on having Dormammu on point here?
To add on to the other suggestions, Wolverine could work. Easy combos that you can even hit online, and you can even switch Dante to the Crystal assist to give Wolvie an OTG assist.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BumbleChump posted:

That's the stick I use, a basic TE for the most part on the outside, disregarding the art and plexi, but on the inside...

That's the lineup of springs I've used in it. The first is the one that came with it, the second is one I ordered online, and the third is one I got from the hardware store when the first two didn't satisfy me. The people I play games with absolutely hate it, and consider it unplayable, but for me, it's perfect. It certainly made my lightning loops easier to get down with more consistency, if nothing else.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

BumbleChump posted:

Wireless keyboard. :unsmigghh:

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

AXE COP posted:

You sir are a madman.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Even if you're gonna use a keyboard, why the hell would you use that one?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

BumbleChump posted:

This is why I'm stuck with ps3 only. I gotta have the Saturn controller for fighting games.

The legendary satapad, best fighting game pad ever made.
Sadly, these are now a limited and rapidly dwinding commodity.

AXE COP posted:

Keyboards for life. Best input device.
I caved and built a keystick/hitbox whatever though so I could actually play on consoles.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The guys I play Melty with can only play on keyboards - although one of them bought a hitbox recently.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Does Death Penalty (Skrull's level 3) always cross up?

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
So in preparation for next week's tournament I've got my team of Wesker/Doom/Strider which works pretty well against most teams considering I'm bad at the game. However lately I've been considering switching the order to Doom/Strider/Wesker just for Level 4 XF Wesker on cleanup.

The reason I put Wesker on point is because he seems to be a better battery for me than Doom but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone think Doom/Strider/Wesker is objectively better than Wesker/Doom/Strider and if so, why?

Thanks!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what it was but I was a magnet for Dr. Doom/Ghost Rider/Sentinel teams last night. Next time I see that team I'm gonna straight up probably lose the match!! I made it to 9th Scout though so I can't complain too much. :unsmith:

Edit: gently caress I guess I'm actually 9th Ranger. My bad.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 10, 2012

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Gaseous Snake posted:

I don't know what it was but I was a magnet for Dr. Doom/Ghost Rider/Sentinel teams last night. Next time I see that team I'm gonna straight up probably lose the match!! I made it to 9th Scout though so I can't complain too much. :unsmith:

Hey you're on PS3 right? Are you in the tourney next week and if so do you wanna get together this week for some training/practice?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Erik The Viking posted:

Hey you're on PS3 right? Are you in the tourney next week and if so do you wanna get together this week for some training/practice?

I won't be able to make it this week. My fat PS3's showing the early signs of death so I'm probably going to do the big PS3 transfer at the end of the week. We can still get some practice in though. PSN is Squallege

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Erik The Viking posted:

So in preparation for next week's tournament I've got my team of Wesker/Doom/Strider which works pretty well against most teams considering I'm bad at the game. However lately I've been considering switching the order to Doom/Strider/Wesker just for Level 4 XF Wesker on cleanup.

The reason I put Wesker on point is because he seems to be a better battery for me than Doom but I'm open to suggestions. Anyone think Doom/Strider/Wesker is objectively better than Wesker/Doom/Strider and if so, why?

Thanks!
I think Wesker/Doom/Strider is the best order. Wesker and Doom make extremely good use out of Strider's assist, and Strider with XF3 and Orbs will take out at least one character.

edit: \/ I have zero experience with those characters, but if you want to work off of an X-23 centered strategy of "kill character with X-Factor then level 3 and kill the next character" you can go with Dante/X-23/Amaterasu using Dante to build meter and Cold Star to lockdown the incoming character.

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 10, 2012

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What order would you suggest for a team of X-23/Amaterasu/Dante? I usually have X-23 out first.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Gaseous Snake posted:

I won't be able to make it this week. My fat PS3's showing the early signs of death so I'm probably going to do the big PS3 transfer at the end of the week. We can still get some practice in though. PSN is Squallege

I'll add you later. Thanks.

iPodschun posted:

I think Wesker/Doom/Strider is the best order. Wesker and Doom make extremely good use out of Strider's assist, and Strider with XF3 and Orbs will take out at least one character.

Thanks!

Gaseous Snake posted:

What order would you suggest for a team of X-23/Amaterasu/Dante? I usually have X-23 out first.

I think that order is just fine. I used to be an X-23 player and in my experience she is a point character only. Even with L3XF she's a lovely anchor without assists. As long as you're using Cold Star assist (I assume you are), you should should be fine. I don't play Dante but he's been shown to be a good anchor but many people.

edit: You could conceivably switch Dante and Ammy if you wanted. We've all seen MarlinPie clean house with Ammy on anchor and it doesn't matter what position she's in for Cold Star. Whoever you feel most comfortable with on anchor is who you should put there IMO.

Erik The Viking fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 10, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Dren posted:

Outside of goofy specific situations I don't think it CAN crossup because it just homes on top of you.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Erik The Viking posted:

I'll add you later. Thanks.

Thanks!

I think that order is just fine. I used to be an X-23 player and in my experience she is a point character only. Even with L3XF she's a lovely anchor without assists. As long as you're using Cold Star assist (I assume you are), you should should be fine. I don't play Dante but he's been shown to be a good anchor but many people.

edit: You could conceivably switch Dante and Ammy if you wanted. We've all seen MarlinPie clean house with Ammy on anchor and it doesn't matter what position she's in for Cold Star. Whoever you feel most comfortable with on anchor is who you should put there IMO.

I've had Ammy on Cold star which is probably the only assist she really needs and I've got Dante on the guitar assist (the name eludes me). In most cases Ammy is often my ace in the hole. Whenever things get tough she comes in and wrecks everyone's poo poo. I've had a couple matches where she's been on her own and proceeds to take two characters out with a level 3 Xfactor. For a while I had a team of her, Wesker and Vergil. I mainly use them on the Vita since the competition isn't nearly as tough. The crossover hyper is loving crazy since the three of them are all over the place.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Gaseous Snake posted:

I've had Ammy on Cold star which is probably the only assist she really needs and I've got Dante on the guitar assist (the name eludes me). In most cases Ammy is often my ace in the hole. Whenever things get tough she comes in and wrecks everyone's poo poo. I've had a couple matches where she's been on her own and proceeds to take two characters out with a level 3 Xfactor. For a while I had a team of her, Wesker and Vergil. I mainly use them on the Vita since the competition isn't nearly as tough. The crossover hyper is loving crazy since the three of them are all over the place.

Sounds like you should move her to anchor then. Dante can build some meter for her while he's out there. Cold Star would help Dante set up mixups too. That assist is too good.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tried playing a little and I did mostly bad I did however make a guy rage quit by using Wesker/Vergil/Ammy's combo hyper on his Wesker and Taskmaster assist, filling the stage with fire, slashy orbs, and a flying jackass. Bad news is I got locked up before a fight and the game thinks I did it on purpose.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Gaseous Snake posted:

Tried playing a little and I did mostly bad I did however make a guy rage quit by using Wesker/Vergil/Ammy's combo hyper on his Wesker and Taskmaster assist, filling the stage with fire, slashy orbs, and a flying jackass. Bad news is I got locked up before a fight and the game thinks I did it on purpose.

That's a really good team super. My first team in Ultimate was Wesker/Vergil/Strider and that was by far the most damaging level 3 team super I have ever seen. Replace Okami Shuffle with a legion of robot animals and you get a lot more damage out of it. It was nuts.

Too bad Vergil was a huge meter hog who always left Strider hanging otherwise I would've kept him on. Doom works way better with my team now. Strider always has 3 bars when he comes in.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

darealkooky posted:

Outside of goofy specific situations I don't think it CAN crossup because it just homes on top of you.

Some dude went random Skrull lvl 3 on me so I upbacked. I got hit clean out of the air.

Gaseous Snake you should play X-23 second. In second X-23 is more likely to have access to her xfactor infinite (it works in lvl 2 or 3 xfactor) as well as 3 bars to do dirtnap on an incoming character.

Here is the infinite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o37fjSepBF0

Playing X-23 first is kinda wasteful since the infinite and dirt nap on incoming are so good.

Do Dante/X-23/Ammy.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Wow I didn't know about that easy loop. I might bust out my old stolen Tatsu team (X-23/Deadpool/Sentinel) and try that out.

Speaking of Tatsu, is he even playing anymore? I never see him at The Runback, or any other tourneys for that matter.

edit: Wait, that video shows vanilla. Does that still work in Ultimate?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dren posted:

Yes. Midscreen it will always cross up. Hold forward or dash away. It also hits overhead.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Metrohunter posted:

Yes. Midscreen it will always cross up. Hold forward or dash away. It also hits overhead.

Thanks

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Edit Banners delivered. =D Glad it's of use.

Correnth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 11, 2012

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Aw and I was serious about every Thursday never Thor's day. :v: Thanks maybe now people will notice when I post the brackets and I can give :siren: a rest. Time to go bug people in Goonsgarden till some xbox people enter.

June 14th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/2kyd2k3tpu

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/uwmfq5ejmg

Looks way better Thanks Correnth

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 11, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

So I've been tooling around with Hawkeye and he's a lot of fun, anyone have any useful tips for him?

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Cool banner!

I registered for the tournament. Gonna get in some practice tonight.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
Signed up for the PS3 tournament. I can stream again this time if needed.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Some gamespot jerks were talking poopoo and making combos with my team and it was brought to my attention so I did a poor video of a 1.22M Haggos combo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akoY3MhdZZI

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Won't make the tournament this week. Will be at CEO instead, however...

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I already looked on shoryuken but that place can be a real mess. Can anyone update my Vergil BNB? I already know about the other starter with 623A xx trick down, superjump... But that doesn't get me any more damage. The ender is what I think I can improve:

[L] M H 2H 6H xx M trick H S H release L 236L (3 hits) xx Spiral Swords, ender

Ender = 623M, 623M, 3H xx maximum spider

I know there's a better ender than that... What was the poo poo marn and jwong were pulling on cross counter with constant spiral activations?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I am reposting from reddit but here is Fanatiq explaining why he doesn't like Magnetic Blast and how some of his Magneto + drones corner lockdown works. If you use drones on a team you should check it out because he's got some great principles for how to play with drones.

http://www.twitch.tv/fgtvlive/b/319469294?t=12m

I just found out about the mvc3 subreddit. It's the best place I've found for getting links to specific stuff in streams that's worth watching. Like, they link you to a particular match in ECT4 and fix the link so it sends you to the right time.

Dren fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 12, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Elephunk posted:

I already looked on shoryuken but that place can be a real mess. Can anyone update my Vergil BNB? I already know about the other starter with 623A xx trick down, superjump... But that doesn't get me any more damage. The ender is what I think I can improve:

I know there's a better ender than that... What was the poo poo marn and jwong were pulling on cross counter with constant spiral activations?

When you activate spiral swords you can start charging another round trip, then:

623M, release L, 2H, 236L, 2H, more swords, repeat till you run out of meter/get bored. You can also dash in > j.2H j.2H instead of 623M. There's another variation you need to do in the corner but I dunno it since I'm a scrub.

e: gotta stop mixing up LMH and ABC

Troffen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 12, 2012

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
beaten/irrelevant

Boobs is Fun! fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 12, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I signed up for the ps3 tournament, but I'm not entirely sure if I can actually make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Elephunk posted:

[L] M 2H 6H xx 214M H S H ]L[ 2H xx 236L 2H xx 623LM ([L] during flash)

Swords Loops
[623M ]L[ 2H xx 236L 2H xx 623LM ([L] during flash)] x whatever

or

Ender
623M ]L[ 2H xx 236L 2H xx 623M 3H xx 236MH

This is optimal without an otg assist. Learn it either way because you will have vergil alone at some point in some match eventually.

• Locked thread