Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You guys never shut off the fuel and run the engine to run the carbs dry and drain the lines? That's the easy way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For me it's impossible to reach the middle carbs so I've never bothered. Never had the need to drain really. It's weird that there is so much difference between gas, I never experience old gas clogging things up with a few months of sitting.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Do you have ethanol in the gas in your area? If no, that's the easiest answer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

Do you have ethanol in the gas in your area? If no, that's the easiest answer.

There is ethanol in all gasoline in Denmark, and I've never had a problem either.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

There is ethanol in all gasoline in Denmark, and I've never had a problem either.

There's also a fuckload of vapor stabilizing, lubricating boosting and flame front retarding additives they don't add in the US. We really should export our fuel for connoisseurs, but I do not see a solid business plan.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Also not as much ethanol used as in the US.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think there's any ethanol here. I remember gas on the continent smelling quite different. Perhaps another difference is corn ethanol in the US vs fine Bordeaux ethanol in Europe. Explains the price!

Perhaps a good tip for storage is simply to fill the last tank of the season with premium or a known non-ethanol regular if Sta-Bil for some reason isn't an option.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KARMA! posted:

Also not as much ethanol used as in the US.

It's E5 everywhere and we're slowly going to migrate to E10 over the next couple of years.

Diesel is B7 now, too. I think they're shooting for B10 within the next couple of years.

Haven't had any problems yet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think we're E10, talking about moving to E15. Diesel is Buahahahah, no one uses diesel over here.

(Oh God I want a small diesel pickup truck)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Safety Dance posted:

(Oh God I want a small diesel pickup truck)

I miss mine (81 VW caddy), was such a good truck. Constantly looking for another that a)isn't rusting to pieces and b)isn't 5k

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sometimes shifting down from third to second while decelerating my shifter gets stuck and needs to be banged back up , then back down to get to second. I just got this bike, it's a 2012 street triple. What up with this?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In countries that restrict you to a 200cc bike for the first 2 years of you license or whatever, how does that work? How does the government know that you're riding a smaller bike for the first couple years of your bike?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Has anyone here used, or researched BMW's easy ride financing option? Any opinions on if it's worth it over a traditional 4 year finance? It seems really cool. Also, my life is dull and I really want to get an S1000RR, I might just pull the trigger later this year if insurance won't rape me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

In countries that restrict you to a 200cc bike for the first 2 years of you license or whatever, how does that work? How does the government know that you're riding a smaller bike for the first couple years of your bike?

You can't get a larger bike registered or insured in your name while you have the limited license, and if you're caught riding someone else's big bike, you're hosed. Maybe they are too, depending on the local laws.

You can still buy and own a larger bike though, usually, and I would assume that you can ride it on private land all you want as with any other unregistered or non-street-legal vehicle.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Armyman25 posted:

In Australia, they don't. Unless you get your licence checked by a cop (at a random check, after being pulled over, etc), you could get away with riding something bigger. But IIRC it's usually a pretty decent ticket + enough demerit points to lose your bike licence as you only get a couple whilst on your restricted licence. Although I believe that the automatic plate reading cameras will display your licence status so if the cop knows enough about bikes to tell what you're riding you could also be hosed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Sometimes shifting down from third to second while decelerating my shifter gets stuck and needs to be banged back up , then back down to get to second. I just got this bike, it's a 2012 street triple. What up with this?

If it feels wrong and it's a new bike, contact the dealer. Keep in mind though, Triumph transmissions tend to be rougher and need more foot force than Jap trannys - considerably more so before the first oil change.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What is proper upshifting for a Bandit 1200? With my SV650, it wouldn't allow me to upshift unless I had a bit of throttle, but the Bandit 1200 likes the throttle completely off to smoothly go from first to second to third. If I give it any throttle at all while upshifting it feels like gears are lightly grinding. I don't know how to describe it other than that. :saddowns: Is this normal? Not that I'm gonna be clutchless upshifting any time soon but it's nice to know how your gearbox works.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

In Australia, they don't. Unless you get your licence checked by a cop (at a random check, after being pulled over, etc), you could get away with riding something bigger. But IIRC it's usually a pretty decent ticket + enough demerit points to lose your bike licence as you only get a couple whilst on your restricted licence. Although I believe that the automatic plate reading cameras will display your licence status so if the cop knows enough about bikes to tell what you're riding you could also be hosed.

^

That.

Although, as my (nearly) brother-in-law has discovered numerous times, they don't actually give two shits. In QLD anyway.

To quote:

:science: : I see you're still on your restricted license and your bike isn't LAMS approved, and you have a passenger. Hmm. How long have you got left on your license?

:clint: About 6 months.

:science: Ok. Have a nice day.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
In Victoria, demerits for not displaying a P plate are the same as for riding a bike contrary to licence conditions. Every now and then I see a P or L plater riding about on a bike they really shouldn't be - there's a guy on a recent ZX-10 riding around with L plates showing - 6 points to lose on a learners licence - 3 for the bike, would be an extra 3 for the plates.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Surely the thing to do is buy a full-fat supermoto and put 125 plastics on it?

Why yes officer, this is a WR125, why do you ask? BWAAAAAAAAAARP. *wheelies into distance*

From a police point of view that is - it would still be incredibly stupid because you'd be hosed by the insurance if you got in an accident.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How new is it? As another poster has mentioned, Triumph gearboxes tend to be fairly odd.

Take it to the dealer if it persists though.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Bend shift forks. I'm sorry, but that's what fits what you describe.

Odette posted:

How new is it? As another poster has mentioned, Triumph gearboxes tend to be fairly odd.

Take it to the dealer if it persists though.

How new is a 2012 Street Triple?

But yes, take it to the dealer.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Sir Cornelius posted:

Handily it must still be under warranty...

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Saga posted:

Handily it must still be under warranty...

We actually don't know this before Covert Ops Wizard tells Odette how old his 2012 Street Triple is. It might be a 1977 product.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sir Cornelius posted:

I really meant mileage-wise. :(

i.e. my bike is only 4 years old yet has a mileage higher than 50% of the bikes I see.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Xovaan posted:

What is proper upshifting for a Bandit 1200? With my SV650, it wouldn't allow me to upshift unless I had a bit of throttle, but the Bandit 1200 likes the throttle completely off to smoothly go from first to second to third. If I give it any throttle at all while upshifting it feels like gears are lightly grinding. I don't know how to describe it other than that. :saddowns: Is this normal? Not that I'm gonna be clutchless upshifting any time soon but it's nice to know how your gearbox works.

I would say the weird one in this scenario is your SV. I've never heard of a bike not liking to upshift without throttle. Perhaps the clutch cable is misadjusted on your SV?

The bandit also shouldnt grind if you give it throttle, but during the four years I owned mine, I never fed it throttle on upshifts, only on rev-matched downshifts. Mine would get a little notchy going from 2nd to 1st, but thats it.

Long story short, stop feeding it throttle on upshifts, thats probably the issue.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Is there a noticeable difference between 2 and 3 line braided brake line sets? I want to replace the lines on my zx6r and can only find 2 line sets that I can get hold of in a reasonable time frame. It currently has one line from the master cylinder that goes down to a splitter with a line to each caliper. They're probably the original lines on a 14 year old bike so I want to change them as soon as I can.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

grunthaas posted:

Is there a noticeable difference between 2 and 3 line braided brake line sets? I want to replace the lines on my zx6r and can only find 2 line sets that I can get hold of in a reasonable time frame. It currently has one line from the master cylinder that goes down to a splitter with a line to each caliper. They're probably the original lines on a 14 year old bike so I want to change them as soon as I can.

No, for your bike, it's performance, city and highway riding and original brakes you won't notice any difference.

To be honest, I don't think wall resistance between original 1-line and the 2-line is anything you're going to notice. What you're going to find, probably is that bleeding your old system and changing from DOT 4 to 5.1 fluid is noticeable.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Thanks for the info. Im not really looking for an upgrade as such, just that i can only seem to find 2 line kits available - as long as they're not a downgrade Ill get them. With new lines, fresh pads & fluid it should improve things.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

You can't get a larger bike registered or insured in your name while you have the limited license, and if you're caught riding someone else's big bike, you're hosed. Maybe they are too, depending on the local laws.

You can still buy and own a larger bike though, usually, and I would assume that you can ride it on private land all you want as with any other unregistered or non-street-legal vehicle.

I brought up the concept in a conversation at work and got a response about how it's government overreach to tell you what kind of bike you can buy/ride. This was right after we talked about how a 20 year old kid back from his first deployment buying a liter bike was a lethal combination.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

grunthaas posted:

Thanks for the info. Im not really looking for an upgrade as such, just that i can only seem to find 2 line kits available - as long as they're not a downgrade Ill get them. With new lines, fresh pads & fluid it should improve things.

Trust me, it will. Not so much the lines as the bleeding and the fluid. I really doubt that your original lines are tired. For 80s+ motorcycles they're made to last centuries. The safety factor on those is gigantic.

Changing from DOT 4 to 5.1 will be a great feeling.

Anyway, bleeding is the key. Be drat sure you know how to do this. All you really need is a clear aquarium-pump-tube, a jar, half a liter of water, the correct technique and 50% more fluid than the system takes. The correct technique is where it usually fails.

I'll probably have to do this for KozmoNaut in the foreseeable future, so I might ask him to use a camera and document it.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Haha Odette :P

It's at about 300 miles now, so I still have my 500 mile inspection or whatever to do. I'll mention it when I take it in and have them look at it then, unless someone thinks this can't wait a week.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sir Cornelius posted:

We actually don't know this before Covert Ops Wizard tells Odette how old his 2012 Street Triple is. It might be a 1977 product.

I get the joke but Triumph does do goofy poo poo with model years, my 2012 Speed Triple is a year and a half old and there are 2011s that are newer. And they mix and match new/old logos and graphics somewhat randomly. You need the VIN and the secret decoder to figure out what the bike really is.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I get the joke but Triumph does do goofy poo poo with model years, my 2012 Speed Triple is a year and a half old and there are 2011s that are newer. And they mix and match new/old logos and graphics somewhat randomly. You need the VIN and the secret decoder to figure out what the bike really is.

Every manufacturer of cars, bikes, snowmobiles, trucks and aircrafts do this.

The interesting part of Covert Ops Wizards question is:

Q: What's wrong with my bike?

The answer is rather simple:

A: Probably bend shift-forks.

So far we're good. Next question amongst ourself is: Can he get it covered by manufacturer guarantee?

Answer is that he probably can, unless he rode around the world twice in 2011, 2012 or, gently caress timewarp, 2013.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The Triumph warranty is unlimited mileage regardless (standard legal disclaimer blah blah must be serviced at dealer at exact intervals blah blah)

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Haha Odette :P

It's at about 300 miles now, so I still have my 500 mile inspection or whatever to do. I'll mention it when I take it in and have them look at it then, unless someone thinks this can't wait a week.

The 2007-9 Daytonas had a somewhat random chance to get a mis-manufactured shift shaft. There was a service bulletin and warranty replacement, but not a recall. Had similar symptoms, though usually affected downshifts to 4th.

This is relevant because my 2010 street triple randomly had one of the weird ones. It seems that there's a small but not impossible chance that your 2012 might have the same problem. It's still using all the same motor/transmission parts as the tonas and older striples.

Edit:

Snowdens Secret posted:

(standard legal disclaimer blah blah must be serviced at dealer at exact intervals blah blah)
At least in the US, this doesn't fly. A dealer cannot to deny warranty because you change your own oil or check your own valves.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

At least in the US, this doesn't fly. A dealer cannot deny warranty because you change your own oil or check your own valves.

Same rules for the EU, with the added 24 month of unconditional warranty for everything but common wear-parts (tires, chain, sprockets, etc.). As long as you follow maintenance advice, you're good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

The 2007-9 Daytonas had a somewhat random chance to get a mis-manufactured shift shaft. There was a service bulletin and warranty replacement, but not a recall. Had similar symptoms, though usually affected downshifts to 4th.

This is relevant because my 2010 street triple randomly had one of the weird ones. It seems that there's a small but not impossible chance that your 2012 might have the same problem. It's still using all the same motor/transmission parts as the tonas and older striples.

Edit:
At least in the US, this doesn't fly. A dealer cannot to deny warranty because you change your own oil or check your own valves.

Do you have to show dated receipts for the oil and photographs of you with a feeler gauge and stuff, or can you just say "I did it"? Because I certainly don't keep any records beyond a little notebook saying "9800 miles: did this thing" and so on.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

Internet research has told me that internal plugs are the best bet short of replacing the rear tire all together. There's a shop real close by that will do it for 45$. So I'm going to go that route.

Crossing fingers!

These guys look like a good place to take it to as well: http://www.dualsportplus.com/

Was scheduled for 10:30am today. But it poured all drat day. And since I didn't want to pop my rain riding cherry on a deflating rear tire, I took it off and brought it in. Was easy enough.

OCD me cleaned and lubed the entire rear end. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Edit:

I was being sarcastic, but like Cornelius says, you still have to do the maintenance right. You are legally protected if your maintenance is clearly unrelated to the failure (you changed your oil and your ECU exploded.) You are not protected and will be denied if your are clearly negligent (you changed your oil with used fry oil you got from the Five Guys and wiped your bearings.) In between is a grey area, and keep in mind the dealer has to ship your failed parts off to corporate for failure analysis as part of the claims process (this is also in the Triumph legalese) - but unless you're obviously trying to rip them off it's better to just honor your claim than have you rant all over brand message boards about their "lovely criminal service."

It is always a good idea to document your maintenance as fully as possible, for a lot of reasons. But honestly with modern bike service intervals and the 1-year warranty most bikes come with, unless you ride the piss out of it you'll be out of warranty long before any serious maintenance comes up.

Something you do have to worry about with Triumph maintenance and warranty work is that due to some strange geographical phenomenon parts always seem to take three weeks to deliver, even if they're in a domestic warehouse.