Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Looks like Adventureland just got added too. I guess I would describe it as "pretty good" and "probably worth watching".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

maxnmona posted:

Looks like Adventureland just got added too. I guess I would describe it as "pretty good" and "probably worth watching".
Adventureland is one of my favorite bildungsromans of the past few years. "Pretty good" is spot on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

maxnmona posted:

The first half was pretty good, but it lost its way and by the end I couldn't even pay attention, and I'm pretty sure I turned it off five minutes before it ended.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Erebus posted:

If the Avengers gave you a taste for it, Thor just got added to streaming. Now I can go back and figure out the backstory I missed.

Thor is definitely my favorite of the Marvel movies - we also have a drink and drinking game for that, which is one of my favorites we've ever done.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Erebus posted:

If the Avengers gave you a taste for it, Thor just got added to streaming. Now I can go back and figure out the backstory I missed.

just watched this. wow, that was a really bad movie. I think I'll let Ebert sum it up

quote:

The story might perhaps be adequate for an animated film for children, with Thor, Odin and the others played by piglets. In the arena of movies about comic book superheroes, it is a desolate vastation. Nothing exciting happens, nothing of interest is said, and the special effects evoke not a place or a time but simply special effects.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I loved the Earth story, and hated everything in Thor's homeworld.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bottom Liner posted:

I loved the Earth story, and hated everything in Thor's homeworld.

I was actually the opposite; I loved the super-stately Shakespearean-ness of all that, and didn't much like crazy Kat Dennings with her many Juno catchphrases. That being said, I still thought Thor's fish-out-of-water stuff was fun. Just didn't necessarily save that section.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I gave Jon Benjamin Has a Van a try, ended up loving it from the first episode. Is it groundbreaking? No, but I laughed my rear end off most of the way through so I guess I'd call that a successful comedy show.

Maybe it's just the fact that I love Archer so by extension I automatically crack up when I hear Jon Benjamin's voice now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tewratomeh posted:

I gave Jon Benjamin Has a Van a try, ended up loving it from the first episode. Is it groundbreaking? No, but I laughed my rear end off most of the way through so I guess I'd call that a successful comedy show.

Maybe it's just the fact that I love Archer so by extension I automatically crack up when I hear Jon Benjamin's voice now.

I've been cracking up every time I hear Jon Benjamin's voice since Home Movies. Fortunately, that entire series is up on Instant, and still absolutely hilarious.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Another pretty funny Jon Benjamin series, Bob's Burgers, has its first season on Instant as well, which is pretty neat if you missed a few episodes like my family did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some of us have been losing our poo poo at the sound of his voice since Dr. Katz.

Oh god, I'm so old...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ebert tweeted that Jeff Who Lives at Home was on Instant but then it wasn't. Dammit, Roger. Your senile heart is toying with my emotions.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I've been cracking up every time I hear Jon Benjamin's voice since Home Movies. Fortunately, that entire series is up on Instant, and still absolutely hilarious.

I checked that out yesterday and was gratified to find out that the first episode has both the "tattoo" speech and Dark Side of the Law. Talk about finding your footing early.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

Some of us have been losing our poo poo at the sound of his voice since Dr. Katz.

Oh god, I'm so old...

This. Back when he was still H. Jon Benjamin he was hilarious.

So much so I lost a bet that he was the voice of Awesome X from Frisky Dingo (it was Chris Parnell) just because anything animated should have his voice.

Also, he is The Master on Venture Bros., and the "Catherine the Great" bit is still the funniest thing ever.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So much so I lost a bet that he was the voice of Awesome X from Frisky Dingo (it was Chris Parnell) just because anything animated should have his voice.

Awesome X/Xander Crews has always been voiced by Adam Reed. As is Killface. You both lost that bet.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Party Plane Jones posted:

Awesome X/Xander Crews has always been voiced by Adam Reed. As is Killface. You both lost that bet.

No. I'm just double wrong and hosed it up again.

:negative:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This. Back when he was still H. Jon Benjamin he was hilarious.

He still goes by H. Jon Benjamin as his credited name. He just prefers to go by his middle name in everyday life.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

hypersleep posted:

I'm going to marathon all 3 of the Species movies! Oh, what wonderful memories I have of the first two... I never saw the third, which I'm guessing is bad, but not good-bad. Wish me luck.

Yeah the third is pretty bad, since it has none of the original cast (except for a quick cameo by Henstridge at the start). The new cast is all around terrible especially the lead who is insufferable.

Months ago they also had Species 4, which is incredibly low budget and features Ben Cross being weird and old and the new alien girl who is Swedish and can barely get through her lines.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
On a whim I decided to look for it, not thinking it would actually be available. But sure enough, the BEST MOVIE EVER is on Netflix.

Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight

Billy Zane :swoon:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hewlett posted:

Thor is definitely my favorite of the Marvel movies - we also have a drink and drinking game for that, which is one of my favorites we've ever done.

Please expand on what you possibly found to like in it. I thought Thor was abysmal.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Tim And Eric's Billion Dollar Movie started streaming today. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but I like what I've seen from it. The movie is, well, weird. When the guys want to go absurdist, it can be pretty funny. But there are stretches without much humor, and it often devolves to juvenile gross-out humor. (The Shrim scene or the penis piercing) It also tries to say something about the wasteful nature of lots of movies, but again, the point gets sidetracked by the gross-out jokes. I'd say it's still worth a watch if you like T&E's comedy stylings.

I'm a huge T&E fan, and I loved this movie to bits. The last twenty minutes were definitely the best, but the first part of the movie wasn't bad (ALL T&E is bad, but you know what I mean). If you've never seen their show, I wouldn't recommend watching the movie, because an hour and a half of their stuff will probably not be very fun if you don't know the in-jokes or are expecting literally anything else.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

VaultAggie posted:

Well I just finished Season 1 of Battletsar Galactica. :stare:

This show is loving awesome and each episode contributes a little to the continuinty and builds upon them. Not to mention I still have no idea what the hell the Cylons are up to and I'm really enjoying that sense of mystery.

Little late but Ah, I miss that feeling. It's a great show but just don't be surprised when Season 3 and 4 are extra lovely. I don't think i'd skip them but there's definitely a lot of filler and completely irrelevant poo poo.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Christoff posted:

Little late but Ah, I miss that feeling. It's a great show but just don't be surprised when Season 3 and 4 are extra lovely. I don't think i'd skip them but there's definitely a lot of filler and completely irrelevant poo poo.

No joke, we seriously just finished it a few weeks ago. It took that long, and for those reasons.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I watched War Of Arrows at a friend's place recently.

It's a great Korean period piece filled with action & adventure. Kind of in the same vein as House of Flying Daggers, Hero, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Christoff posted:

drat, that's not what I wanted to hear. :( Season 2 has bene excellent so far and I was hoping 3 would be even better.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

maxnmona posted:

Please expand on what you possibly found to like in it. I thought Thor was abysmal.

I actually enjoyed the production design quite a bit (plastic armor and all), Tom Hiddleston was great, the Shakespearean vibe from the Asgard scenes was nice, I loved Patrick Doyle's score, and I actually laughed at the fish-out-of-water comedy. Those elements seemed to outweigh the bad/corny for me; there was just a weird charm to all of it that won me over, Kat Dennings aside.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I actually enjoyed the production design quite a bit (plastic armor and all), Tom Hiddleston was great, the Shakespearean vibe from the Asgard scenes was nice, I loved Patrick Doyle's score, and I actually laughed at the fish-out-of-water comedy. Those elements seemed to outweigh the bad/corny for me; there was just a weird charm to all of it that won me over, Kat Dennings aside.

That, and it's fairly subversive. Consider that it takes place in two worlds, one of which (Asgard) is pure spectacle, bright colors, flashy lights, and overblown melodrama; this represents the typical superhero world, at least in regards to the Marvel film franchises. The other world is Earth, or the film's representation of the "real world".

Notice how powerful Thor is in Asgard. He's literally a god (duh, right). But when he is sent to the Real World, he's without power. He stomps around angrily, causing havoc and shouting about how he is "the mighty Thor" until he gets taken down by a simple taser or sedative. He has the ego of a god, but without anything to back it up. He's basically how a John Wayne type would operate in the "real world". Later we find that only when he chooses to put himself in the line of danger for humans--thereby humbling himself--does he regain the power of a god. This is a commentary on Tony Stark of the Iron Man films--it's saying essentially that ego is bullshit.

The blatant fascism of the other Marvel films are played with as well. Here, S.H.I.E.L.D. are seen as the rear end in a top hat government agency that they are, stealing years of research, a ton of personal equipment, and an iPod from Natalie Portman's crew just because they can, and it's treated as a joke. Well, it is a joke, it's satire. If that's not enough, think about how they basically take Thor's hammer into custody. When Thor proves to be a hero by humbling himself, the hammer escapes from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s clutches because he transcends the power of authoritarianism, macho force and arrogance.

I'm not very articulate but Thor is definitely the best of the Marvel films and certainly the most interesting (barring maybe Captain America, which proves to be an interesting failure). Even if none of these qualities strike you, I still think it's hilarious, at times gorgeous, has characters with at least a little dimension (except when it's necessary thematically), and has the perfect tone for a comic book movie.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

PDMChubby posted:

That, and it's fairly subversive. Consider that it takes place in two worlds, one of which (Asgard) is pure spectacle, bright colors, flashy lights, and overblown melodrama; this represents the typical superhero world, at least in regards to the Marvel film franchises. The other world is Earth, or the film's representation of the "real world".

Notice how powerful Thor is in Asgard. He's literally a god (duh, right). But when he is sent to the Real World, he's without power. He stomps around angrily, causing havoc and shouting about how he is "the mighty Thor" until he gets taken down by a simple taser or sedative. He has the ego of a god, but without anything to back it up. He's basically how a John Wayne type would operate in the "real world". Later we find that only when he chooses to put himself in the line of danger for humans--thereby humbling himself--does he regain the power of a god. This is a commentary on Tony Stark of the Iron Man films--it's saying essentially that ego is bullshit.

The blatant fascism of the other Marvel films are played with as well. Here, S.H.I.E.L.D. are seen as the rear end in a top hat government agency that they are, stealing years of research, a ton of personal equipment, and an iPod from Natalie Portman's crew just because they can, and it's treated as a joke. Well, it is a joke, it's satire. If that's not enough, think about how they basically take Thor's hammer into custody. When Thor proves to be a hero by humbling himself, the hammer escapes from S.H.I.E.L.D.'s clutches because he transcends the power of authoritarianism, macho force and arrogance.

I'm not very articulate but Thor is definitely the best of the Marvel films and certainly the most interesting (barring maybe Captain America, which proves to be an interesting failure). Even if none of these qualities strike you, I still think it's hilarious, at times gorgeous, has characters with at least a little dimension (except when it's necessary thematically), and has the perfect tone for a comic book movie.

Congratulations, you just put more thought into Thor than anyone involved in its production ever did.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

maxnmona posted:

Congratulations, you just put more thought into Thor than anyone involved in its production ever did.

Yeah you know that Kenneth Branagh is famous for not thinking about his movies!

FYI that is absolutely the worst possible sentence anyone can write about any movie, ever. And this isn't even about the caliber of the movie - get out of a film forum if you're not interested in or capable of thinking about the films you watch.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

maxnmona posted:

The themes are there, regardless of whether or not they were intended.

Congratulations to both of us, because this is the 1,000,000th time this exchange has happened on CineD.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

penismightier posted:

Yeah you know that Kenneth Branagh is famous for not thinking about his movies!

FYI that is absolutely the worst possible sentence anyone can write about any movie, ever. And this isn't even about the caliber of the movie - get out of a film forum if you're not interested in or capable of thinking about the films you watch.

Hear, hear. Goddamn do I wish the Games subforum was held to this standard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thor has a nice bit of heart to it- not quite as much as Captain America, but to me it struck just the right tone, grandiose without being ponderous. I like that they didn't shy away from the crazy stuff like Thor's warrior companions and frost giants and so on, but at the same time were able to ground it with humor.

It helps that I think Chris Hemsworth does have some real presence as a leading man. It's a part that's probably very easy to play badly, but he found the humanity.

For me the movie is summed up by the line, "We drank, we fought, he made his ancestors proud!" Male bonding rendered in comic book Viking speak is the sort of nifty thing the genre can do.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I also love the fact that, ostensibly, except for his hatred of Thor leading directly to wanting to kill him, Loki's plan was just to secure Asgard's safety and take down the leader of the Frost Giants. Loki's motivations and performance were mesmerizing throughout the film(despite the shoehorned and cliche "Is it madness? IS IT?!" line, and the threat of raping Natalie Portman despite not having any interest in her before just to rile up Thor and make it personal).

The fact that the film is so sparsely populated creates that feeling of it being akin to a Shakespearean play - Asgard only has a few guards and whoever is in the crowd scenes at beginning and end; otherwise it's Thor, Thor's family, and Thor's friends (what do they even do in their downtime?). Meanwhile, even on Earth the action takes place in Nowheresville, New Mexico, with a population of about 13 it seems; between them, Jane Foster's crew, and SHIELD's little habitrail, that's not a lot of cast for a superhero movie. It subverts the idea that superhero movies need to be huge save-the-world events with a large scale; Thor's big climactic moment is to actually save Jotunheim (his enemies in the beginning) and not save the Earth, which was a nice change of pace. Thor felt like a personal, smaller superhero movie, and I actually admired that.

Maxwell Lord posted:

For me the movie is summed up by the line, "We drank, we fought, he made his ancestors proud!" Male bonding rendered in comic book Viking speak is the sort of nifty thing the genre can do.

For me, it's summed up in "Yeah, HQ, we got Xena, Jackie Chan and Robin Hood coming your way..." Except for Kat Dennings, I actually really liked the humor in the film.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 11, 2012

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Hewlett posted:

I also love the fact that, ostensibly, except for his hatred of Thor leading directly to wanting to kill him, Loki's plan was just to secure Asgard's safety and take down the leader of the Frost Giants. Loki's motivations and performance were mesmerizing throughout the film

I agree, and it's part of what elevates the film for me. Loki has dimension, and he has emotions; he genuinely feels remorse and has motivation that isn't about controlling the world. His hatred for Thor is understandable; it's the classic overshadowed-by-a-sibling story (very Shakespearean in presentation, too--getting Kenneth Branagh to direct was the best decision). Compare this to Captain America's Red Skull, who is probably the most bland, boring, blank-template of a villain in recent memory.

Natalie Portman's character has a little bit of a personality, too. Not only that, she's a leading female in a comic book movie and she spends the whole movie in pants and flannel shirts. I mean, I guess Pepper Potts isn't really objectified either (as far as I remember), but maybe that just lends itself to the "subversion of Iron Man" reading.

But since this is the Netflix thread and not the Thor thread, I'll just say: go watch Thor. It owns.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just wanted to pipe in here and just that Fraiser is on streaming in case anyone here hasnt picked up. I really think it is a great sitcom. Also if you feel up to it watch The Perfect Host. Its like what if Niles went insane and moved to L.A.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Dr. Xenu posted:

Just wanted to pipe in here and just that Fraiser is on streaming in case anyone here hasnt picked up. I really think it is a great sitcom. Also if you feel up to it watch The Perfect Host. Its like what if Niles went insane and moved to L.A.

Another great comedy sitcom on Netflix is The Larry Sanders show. If you like Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, or similar shows you will love it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched Jim Gaffigan Mr. Universe stand up comedy special and was dying with laughter. Check it out if you want some great stand up.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

mod sassinator posted:

Another great comedy sitcom on Netflix is The Larry Sanders show. If you like Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, or similar shows you will love it.

Though I hate Seinfeld with the fury of a 1000 suns I do enjoy Curb Your Enthusiam so I will moat definitely give it a shot

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Xenu posted:

Though I hate Seinfeld with the fury of a 1000 suns

Never thought this was actually possible but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am flabbergasted.

• Locked thread