Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Maarak posted:

Did anything ever happen with Xho, I honestly can't remember.

He's in jail for tearing up royal pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
There's legends about Azor Ahai and defeating the Others all the way over in Asshai, so Essos must have something to fear, too. It doesn't seem to be getting colder in Essos, though.

Presumably if the Others have free reign, they'll cross the Narrow Sea. They can probably just freeze the seawater and walk over, or ride in the bellies of zombie whales :black101:

Maybe the Valyrian dragons held the Others back before? I'm pretty sure from the hints that have been dropped in the Sam chapters about the old books that there was never literally one person with a magic fire sword that drove back a whole invasion of Others and wights.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
They can ride zombie dolphins and rape the seas!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

zalmoxes posted:

I really have no clue how the series is supposed to end. Westeros could unite and defeat the Others in the final book, in which case the whole plot beyond the wall might as well not exist. The Others could also come south and kill everyone in Westeros, which is probably slightly better, but still, it ends up being "I read 6 books about a bunch of people who died". Either way, I don't see a satisfying end to ASOIAF. GRRM leaving the series unfinished, might actually be desirable in that case.

Best case scenario would be if he fleshed out the Others as more than just an unrelenting force of death and doom for regular people. GRRM has said the ending will be bittersweet, so regardless it's not going to satisfy everyone.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ambiguatron posted:

Maybe the Valyrian dragons held the Others back before? I'm pretty sure from the hints that have been dropped in the Sam chapters about the old books that there was never literally one person with a magic fire sword that drove back a whole invasion of Others and wights.
It'll turn out the Fall of Valyria was really caused by White Walker sympathizers, like that Watch Commander who married one.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

My current suspicion is that the cult behind the House of Black and White is both hooked up with the Others and caused the Doom. It would explain what the faceless man who first appeared as Jaqen H'gar was actually doing, and it ties Arya's plot thread back into everyone else's.

Remember that Arya asks the kindly man if the slaves that started the cult of the many-faced god ever destroyed their oppressors, and he says that is a tale for another time? The Faceless Men were behind the Doom.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Has anyone considered that Dany might go so far east that she circumnavigates the globe and ends up in Westeros? It might (sort of) justify her continued journeying in the wrong direction.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

If she goes to Asshai, she might as well keep going.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Has anyone considered that Dany might go so far east that she circumnavigates the globe and ends up in Westeros? It might (sort of) justify her continued journeying in the wrong direction.

Yes, almost everyone who gave the matter some thought while wondering why the gently caress her story continues to decrease in relevance despite herculean efforts on GRRM's part to send worthwhile characters her way--Barristan, Quentyn, Victarion, Tyrion.

I get that he's highlight just how naive and idealistic and insane a teenager she is, but her need to pop a squat and poo poo berry-water all over every place she sees on the way to Westeros has caused me to cease caring about her.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Yes, almost everyone who gave the matter some thought while wondering why the gently caress her story continues to decrease in relevance despite herculean efforts on GRRM's part to send worthwhile characters her way--Barristan, Quentyn, Victarion, Tyrion.

Anyone who didn't consider this as a possibility when they read the east=west prophecy would have to be a card carrying member of the flat earth society. Or a Terry Pratchett fan, or something.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

It's a fantasy world, you can't assume it's a globe.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That Dyson sphere in the show's intro throws people off.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

It's a hollow earth and the way to get rid of the Others and balance the seasons is to build a really, really tall ladder and poke that spinny thing with a stick.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I guess now we know the true purpose of the Wall.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

To find Azor Ahai, who is destined to weild Lightpoker, the legendary Red Stick of Heroes?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Urdnot Fire posted:

That Dyson sphere in the show's intro throws people off.

Ohhhh man, that totally means Scotty's stuck in a pattern buffer loop while waiting for rescue in his crashed ship out on the surface!

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I never really got the whole season thing. Why is e.g. Bran declared to be 8 years old if he has only lived for half a "year". Its not like they have any other measure to go by. Similarly everyone trying to grow and harvest a crop in the space of an autumn, thats not how plants work dammit. I know this is a bit hoo bloo bloo my precious immersion etc., but I do think its weird he never really tried to accommodate the implications of such a strange and unnecessary feature of his world.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Presumably, the years are measured through some sort of astronomical phenomenon, and "autumn" seems to take up to a year. There's also no mention made of the length of day, only the temperature and precipitation. Maybe the days lengthen and shorten the same way they normally would?

Presumably, the seasons aren't connected to a lot of the things we associate with a season, since their length is supernaturally determined.

Also, note that the unusually long summer and presumably unusually long winter to follow immediately preceded the comet, the Others reappearing, and dragons being born again. Maybe the maesters killed the dragon and worked on eliminating magic to regulate the seasons?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Any number of possibilities. It could be that Westeros is just weird, and Essos/elsewhere have a "normal" year. Or it could be that, seasons aside, the planet of ASOIAF completes a revolution every 365.whatever days, which is determined by paying attention to the constellations etc. Or it could be that the seasons were un-hosed at one point before the Long Winter, and by the same mysteriy explaining why the Eyrie survived all those thousands upon thousands of years without collapsing* they kept the calendar from before the Long Winter.

*Seriously, the Eyrie surviving at all is a goddamned miracle. How the hell are they supposed to get materials for repairs up there?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

We know that the seasons aren't related to a scientifically explainable phenomenon like an erratic orbit, so the simplest explanation is that the days lengthen and shorten at regular intervals and however many cycles is a year.

I don't get the Eyrie, either. Castles are supposed to dominate strategically important areas, like ports, river crossings, and so on. Putting a castle on the top of a virtually inaccessible mountain seems rather pointless. The only way an enemy would be interested in capturing it is specifically for the people inside, and it would be as vulnerable to siege as any other castle, if not moreso.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Ambiguatron posted:

I don't get the Eyrie, either. Castles are supposed to dominate strategically important areas, like ports, river crossings, and so on. Putting a castle on the top of a virtually inaccessible mountain seems rather pointless. The only way an enemy would be interested in capturing it is specifically for the people inside, and it would be as vulnerable to siege as any other castle, if not moreso.

But the Eyrie is impregnable

Impregnable

Impregnable

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Waffle Ho posted:

But the Eyrie is impregnable

Impregnable

Impregnable
With a few good men, Bronn could impregnate the bitch :colbert:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
It's obviously a superior castle because of the Moon Door. Why bother cutting people's heads off when you can throw them out a door and listen to them scream all the way down?

You know the "Only Cat" moment blew your minds the first time you read it, oh so many weary years ago. Imagine doing that at will. Yanking criminals or people who mildly annoy you to the edge and whispering a devastating remark to them just before you shove them off into a few thousand feet of nothingness.

The power boners in the Eyrie are epic, man, EPIC.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If only Leonardo da Vinci had existed in Westeros. When Robert Arryn started screaming to MAKE THE BAD MAN FLY, Leo would have just strapped them into an ornithopter and run some tests.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

empty sea posted:

It's obviously a superior castle because of the Moon Door. Why bother cutting people's heads off when you can throw them out a door and listen to them scream all the way down?

You know the "Only Cat" moment blew your minds the first time you read it, oh so many weary years ago. Imagine doing that at will. Yanking criminals or people who mildly annoy you to the edge and whispering a devastating remark to them just before you shove them off into a few thousand feet of nothingness.

The power boners in the Eyrie are epic, man, EPIC.

The Eyrie continues the theme of Sansa experiencing common fairy tale plot beats and characters, but in a subtly twisted and disturbing way. So far, Sansa has:

-Been betrothed to Prince Charming
-Done the Beauty and the Beast thing
-Had an evil stepmother
-Been hidden away in a high tower
-Is a princess disguised as a lowly girl
-Been rescued (repeatedly)
-Been threatened with death by an old queen who is jealous of her

Sanda is like if you were a Disney princess and one day you woke up and this dude is like "you have come to a world called Gor! *whipcrack*"

Despite that, she is actually treated less as an object of titillation as similar characters in shittier books.

I'm still working on an essay on this poo poo.

Waffle Ho
Jul 29, 2004

What are they complaining about today? Fucking shithole of a city. Whining bastards, bitching about the trash or the crime or this or that.

Ambiguatron posted:

The Eyrie continues the theme of Sansa experiencing common fairy tale plot beats and characters, but in a subtly twisted and disturbing way. So far, Sansa has:

-Been betrothed to Prince Charming
-Done the Beauty and the Beast thing
-Had an evil stepmother
-Been hidden away in a high tower
-Is a princess disguised as a lowly girl
-Been rescued (repeatedly)
-Been threatened with death by an old queen who is jealous of her

If you count Donkeyskin you can include "sexual advances from her 'father'"

Also, you should post a link to that essay when you're done.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Ambiguatron posted:

I think the idea is that the big castle at the top is to have a bunch of people in it that can reinforce the smaller castles on the ascent and from there the people at the bottom gate (stone?) could reinforce the bloody gate or raid the enemy forces in the actual vale. Also there is historical precedent for building a castle on top of a dumb mountain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamut

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ambiguatron posted:

So far as I can tell the Eyrie is a symbol of power and makes it impossible to invade the Vale by land. One cannot lay siege to it as it would take until Winter to reduce, long past the time the rest of the Vale can muster a counterattack. If one bypasses it then it wreaks havoc on your supply lines.

It would make even more sense if the tales of Griffins were true. Being at the top of the tallest mountain in the Vale would make travel to any part therein a cinch, and that strategic mobility would be nigh-impossible to counter when paired with the advantages of that fortress.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
The Vale was initially the Arynn's Summer home, so it's not like they lived there all the time.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

A zombie, you say? Good thing Bolton has all his bases covered:

Dear lord jesus in his sept I kant stop watching this glorious piece of art

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

A zombie, you say? Good thing Bolton has all his bases covered:

Would it be possible to get to avatar size and still look good?

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
So do you guys think TWOW will come out before or after the AGOT's 20th anniversary?

Holy poo poo I wasn't even 4 when the first book came out

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Mutato posted:

Holy poo poo I wasn't even 4 when the first book came out

So you're what, 18? 19? You can't even legally drink? drat, kid, how can you possibly enjoy these books? I only got through Feast with the help of my friends Jack, Jim, Johnnie, and Jose.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So you're what, 18? 19? You can't even legally drink? drat, kid, how can you possibly enjoy these books? I only got through Feast with the help of my friends Jack, Jim, Johnnie, and Jose.

19, and Australian, so drat straight I know how to drink.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

drat, kid, how can you possibly enjoy these books?
With the help of masturbation? When reading late-period GRRM, you take your enjoyment where you can.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I drank lighter fluid and free-based toilet cleansers to get through the Mereen chapters.

Also, I'm placing my money on GRRM's "bittersweet" ending being Sansa waking up from her dream of Westeros and snapping back to reality where her, Arya, Osha, Dany, and Ros are all dildo slaves on planet Gor where their master, a pear-shaped bearded man with a girlish nerd laugh, eats all of his meals off their naked bodies.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Mutato posted:

Australian

I'm so sorry, my Commonwealth-brother. I just default assume everyone else is a filthy Yankee pigdog. :(

Shall we have a pleasant afternoon chat regarding our beneficent monarch, Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of Australia and Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth?

Gibbone
May 8, 2011
I wish it was Dany on our coins instead of the actual queen. "FIRE AND BLOOD" on the rim. The reverse could be Dany making GBS threads a great plume instead of platypuses or whatever bullshit we have on there now.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

I'm so sorry, my Commonwealth-brother. I just default assume everyone else is a filthy Yankee pigdog. :(

Shall we have a pleasant afternoon chat regarding our beneficent monarch, Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of Australia and Canada and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth?

nah oval office. vb and durries at the local?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Save your durries, send up some hard lollies instead.

e: I wish Canada had charming colloquialisms. :sigh:

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 9, 2012