Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Chamale posted:

Why do chain link fences rust in sections? Looking at an old chain link fence, it's apparent that there's a clear divide between rusty and non-rusty areas, appearing as a vertical line. Sometimes the dividing line is a fence post, but more often it's simply the middle of the fence.
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, usually it's because of a difference in sunlight causing one part of it to evaporate moisture more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Questions about Kindles!

I've seen a couple of people with them on the bus/metro and they look nifty, but I'm not sure if they're what I need.

Can you read other stuff that isn't an Amazon e-book on them? I'm in grad school, so I have a lot of articles/books in PDF format. Unfortunately, I'm in the humanities, so those PDFs are usually photocopies from print. I annotate those with Adobe Professional on my Mac with the Line or Box tool, and with comments. Is that possible on a Kindle?

How do you backup a Kindle? Are all your purchases stored on the Amazon server?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Take your question to the e-reader thread stat:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3327487

My answer is that pdfs suck on all e-ink devices, you're better off buying a cheap tablet for this. Your photocopy pdfs will be pretty unreadable on a kindle.

However, if you read a lot of books, it is totally worth buying one. They are awesome for reading books.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

dokmo posted:

My answer is that pdfs suck on all e-ink devices, you're better off buying a cheap tablet for this. Your photocopy pdfs will be pretty unreadable on a kindle.

However, if you read a lot of books, it is totally worth buying one. They are awesome for reading books.

I'm going to check it out, thanks. I like the E-ink display to prevent eye fatigue, though. Too bad it can't work with PDFs :(

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I'm going to check it out, thanks. I like the E-ink display to prevent eye fatigue, though. Too bad it can't work with PDFs :(

Important point:

He is not saying all pdf's suck. The non-OCR'd pdfs are the ones that suck on a non computer. (The ones that are basically just a bunch of picture of pages, rather than actual text.)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hey, what's the best way to go about renting out vacation property? My partner's family owns an awesome hunting cabin on a lake in Maine, and they're interested in putting it on the market.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Hadron Ellison posted:

Hey, what's the best way to go about renting out vacation property? My partner's family owns an awesome hunting cabin on a lake in Maine, and they're interested in putting it on the market.

I assume you aren't in Maine yourself. If so, it would be really silly to not turn it over to a property management service. Otherwise it's going to be a tremendous hassle and (more of) a liability. They will market it for you too so that makes the cost a little better.
If it's anywhere near me, I recommend contacting Jaret & Cohn. No idea about cost, but I can vouch for their integrity.

Or do it through craigslist, deal with scammers and bullshit for free. A lot of people do it though, so it's probably not that bad. http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/

unclehenrys.com would be another place to list it if you want to go that route. It's what we all used as craigslist up here before there was a craigslist.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Some PDFs can be converted for free into a e-reader format with simple easy-to-find software, or cropped down so the huge margins don't shrink the text down on the kindle. And you can read non-amazon books!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
How much purestrain gold and colloidal silver do I need to drink before I become 100% Ron Paul?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

greazeball posted:

in case of turbulence

This is pretty much the answer even though kapalama was right too.

In extreme turbulence you can go from (near) weightlessness to pulling g's in a second. That's why you can (although now most airlines have a "always belted in while seated" policy) take it off while cruising.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Someday I'll be a rich weirdo with more money than sense too. :allears:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hadron Ellison posted:

Someone posted this recently and it seems awesome http://www.airbnb.com/ but I haven't used it (thinking about using it for vacations.)

dokmo posted:

If "cheap tablet" means "less than ~$400-500" those non-OCR PDF's will suck on that too.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I was at a restaurant with four friends and before we sat down I suggested that we should tell the waitress that we wanted four separate checks. One friend said that it would be easier for the waitress if we kept it all on one bill, but simply wrote down what amounts we owed each and made a note of our name/card type next to the amount.

Is it really easier for the waitress to do it that way?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It depends on 1. whether they have a computerized POS system (most restaurants do) and 2. how retarded your waitress is.

When I waited tables, we had a POS system and I'm only mildly retarded. Separate checks was easy as poo poo to do. But I suppose simply running 4 cards for a specified amount is even easier. Especially if you're really really retarded.

But really, any waiter/waitress that complains about separate checks is retarded and lazy. Saying you want separate checks beforehand is a great thing to do and I would feel fine doing that if I were you.

edit: retarded.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

RaoulDuke12 posted:

It depends on 1. whether they have a computerized POS system (most restaurants do) and 2. how retarded your waitress is.

When I waited tables, we had a POS system and I'm only mildly retarded. Separate checks was easy as poo poo to do. But I suppose simply running 4 cards for a specified amount is even easier. Especially if you're really really retarded.

But really, any waiter/waitress that complains about separate checks is retarded and lazy. Saying you want separate checks beforehand is a great thing to do and I would feel fine doing that if I were you.

edit: retarded.

It was at a chain restaurant, and the waitress really didn't say anything. It was all my friend's idea.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

jackpot posted:

I did not know any of that, thanks!

Could it be the difference between sun and shadow? So because of where the shade falls, those rusted sections are staying wet longer due to rain and dew, and over the years that little bit of extra wetness is the difference between rust and no rust?

That doesn't explain the sharp dividing lines, though.

If I remember correctly, chain link is galvanized (zinc plated) steel. If something damaged the plating, such as one side of a roll of chain link scraping on the ground, that might cause what you're seeing. I'm only guessing though.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Wandering Knitter posted:

It was at a chain restaurant, and the waitress really didn't say anything. It was all my friend's idea.

Well they're both easy. But it's easier for you and a tenth of a degree harder for the server to just say "is there any way we could have separate checks?" Just asking ahead of time is awesome. From my experience. Just in case I was deciding to be lazy with your table I would know to keep things split up by seat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Questions about Kindles!

I've seen a couple of people with them on the bus/metro and they look nifty, but I'm not sure if they're what I need.

Can you read other stuff that isn't an Amazon e-book on them? I'm in grad school, so I have a lot of articles/books in PDF format. Unfortunately, I'm in the humanities, so those PDFs are usually photocopies from print. I annotate those with Adobe Professional on my Mac with the Line or Box tool, and with comments. Is that possible on a Kindle?

How do you backup a Kindle? Are all your purchases stored on the Amazon server?

I am also in humanities and read most of my pdfs on my kindle and while I prefer it to reading them on my computer, or printing 10-50 pages of paper every week, it's pretty much a pain in the rear end (maybe a touch screen model is better but navigating around a page with the cursor is no bueno). You constantly are zooming and rezooming around. Like Dok said, tablets are probably better, but like Randy said not for under 400 bucks.

--

My question: is there a free windows program for managing outlook contacts like Contacts in OSX? I don't really mind the outlook address book but I need to split some contact groups and it doesn't do that very well (2007 for reference).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

No any wait staff confonted with a table asking for separate checks knows that table is not going to tip for poo poo, so they rightly do their best to make money on their other tables, and will let the separate check table slide.

So while you think the wait staff is being lazy, they know who actually pays their salary,and it is customers who tip. People asking for separate checks will get the service they deserve, whether or not they actually deserve it.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Thor's hammer is made of metal. So why isn't it controlled by Magneto?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The 6 mil is just a starting cost; with airplanes, the bulk of the cost is in insurance, maintenance and certification. Travolta did an awesome deal with Quantas, which, I imagine, took care of most of these things for him.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

marshmallard posted:

Thor's hammer is made of metal. So why isn't it controlled by Magneto?

It is.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Huh? When? Thor controls it.

I'm confused.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Well they're both easy. But it's easier for you and a tenth of a degree harder for the server to just say "is there any way we could have separate checks?" Just asking ahead of time is awesome. From my experience. Just in case I was deciding to be lazy with your table I would know to keep things split up by seat.

kapalama posted:

No any wait staff confonted with a table asking for separate checks knows that table is not going to tip for poo poo, so they rightly do their best to make money on their other tables, and will let the separate check table slide.

So while you think the wait staff is being lazy, they know who actually pays their salary,and it is customers who tip. People asking for separate checks will get the service they deserve, whether or not they actually deserve it.

Huh, good to know. And now I'm going to be paranoid about tipping during a split check. :ohdear:

I got another nerd question: Why is it "Mag-NEAT-o" and not "Mag-NET-o"? As I heard another nerd say, you don't put a Magneat on the fridge.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Wandering Knitter posted:

I got another nerd question: Why is it "Mag-NEAT-o" and not "Mag-NET-o"? As I heard another nerd say, you don't put a Magneat on the fridge.

It comes from a semi-standard pronunciation rule in English. It's the exact same reason "veto" does not have the same vowel that "vet" does.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kapalama posted:

Most of the people I know tip better when going out in a group. Partly because we don't want to see scroogy, but mostly because we know it's harder for the server and as insurance in case one of the other dinners is grumpy and leaves a bad tip. I'm sorry that you work in a lovely town with lovely people that don't tip good service.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I was vacuuming my room when I noticed the room was becoming filled with a strange odor and it was getting hard to breath. The dust bag wasn't full. The machine is pretty old. What could be the cause? Should I be worried?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Baron, do you know what burning rubber smells like? That would be my first guess, that some of the rubber components in the, uh, "engine" part burned up.

Very Strange Things posted:

I assume you aren't in Maine yourself. If so, it would be really silly to not turn it over to a property management service. Otherwise it's going to be a tremendous hassle and (more of) a liability. They will market it for you too so that makes the cost a little better.
If it's anywhere near me, I recommend contacting Jaret & Cohn. No idea about cost, but I can vouch for their integrity.

Or do it through craigslist, deal with scammers and bullshit for free. A lot of people do it though, so it's probably not that bad. http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/

unclehenrys.com would be another place to list it if you want to go that route. It's what we all used as craigslist up here before there was a craigslist.

It's near Belgrade Lakes. They don't currently have potable water run through the place (the taps run hot/cold lake water, and there's a pump in the front yard), is that something that places will pass us over for? One of the reasons why they're trying to rent it out is so they can install actual drinkable water pipes.

They did try the Craigslist path, but apparently there are multiple hundred new posts every day in the rental home section, so they didn't get a single hit.

I'll send these websites their way, though. Thanks!

randyest posted:

Someone posted this recently and it seems awesome http://www.airbnb.com/ but I haven't used it (thinking about using it for vacations.)

I will also check that out, thanks!

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Is it legal driving a RV, being under age 25, in all states in the US?

Driving a RV, is it legal to have alcohol and drinking in it, while moving?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

9of10 posted:

To answer your first question, it's not so much an age requirement as it is a license-class question

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

As for the second, I think it would be okay as long as you aren't in the front seats.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

Some PDFs can be converted for free into a e-reader format with simple easy-to-find software, or cropped down so the huge margins don't shrink the text down on the kindle. And you can read non-amazon books!

Amazon actually provides this as a free service for registered kindle owners. It works reasonably well for basic text, but it doesn't handle inline images or tables very well as I recall. I haven't mucked about with it in a couple years though, maybe it has improved. I also have no idea how it deals with non-ocr files but I suspect not well.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

What happened to the New York Times website?

http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/content.php?theme=1&music=1&url=http://nyt.com

ACtual content, open containers have to be not just not in the front seat but outside of the passenger compartment altogether. I have no idea how that works for RVs.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Got hit by a hot dog stand apparently.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How can an actor with a speaking part appear in a movie and not be credited?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mister Kingdom posted:

How can an actor with a speaking part appear in a movie and not be credited?

I don't think there's any rule that says you *have* to be credited, you can voluntarily give it up. Most of the rules are there to ensure that no one wrongfully denies a credit to an actor who wants and deserves it; the other way around is not really a major problem.

There have been a lot of movies where an actor doesn't get a credit on the poster or opening sequence because their presence is supposed to be a surprise and the SAG doesn't seem to get too upset about it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

9of10 posted:

Like 'Mister Kingdom' posted about the licenses, the laws for "open containers" vary by state and the size/type of vehicle.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Anyone knowledgeable about copyright law: I want to start a project where I'll be putting online six paragraph-long excerpts each from a number of books. This is basically for the purpose of review and criticism. Obviously it's kosher to quote in book reviews but this will be a bit more text reproduced than your standard book review. Am I good?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

dancehall posted:

Anyone knowledgeable about copyright law: I want to start a project where I'll be putting online six paragraph-long excerpts each from a number of books. This is basically for the purpose of review and criticism. Obviously it's kosher to quote in book reviews but this will be a bit more text reproduced than your standard book review. Am I good?

When used for parody or criticism, you're golden. If they try to do anything you have copyright law on your side. Think about things like MST3K, which used entire copywritten films.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Think about things like MST3K, which used entire copywritten films.
I'm pretty sure MST3K was actually kind of a legal nightmare. The reason they made fun of horrible old movies wasn't just because it was funny but because there's no way they could license anything but crappy movies nobody cared about (and I'm guessing they licensed en masse from a few rights owners, which explains having lots of Hercules movies, or lots of Japanese monster movies).

That's the whole reason Rifftrax works the way it does for big mainstream movies where they just release audio commentary, because there's no way they could afford the licensing fees to do it the way MST3K did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is it true that Mormon scripture encourages use of herbs and alternative medicine as opposed to traditional western medicine? If this is true then shouldn't Mormons be big proponents of marijuana use? This isn't an argument. I'm really just curious what the Mormon church says about this and what Mormons that people here know personally have to say about this. If you look at it objectively, it's one of the most ubiquitous natural medicines.