Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The regular Weruva is pretty good too. Sometimes I feed my cat some, then look over at what I'm having for dinner and I'm like: "WTF. The cat is eating better than I am."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

HPL posted:

The regular Weruva is pretty good too. Sometimes I feed my cat some, then look over at what I'm having for dinner and I'm like: "WTF. The cat is eating better than I am."

No kidding. Stupid cats. ;)

One of mine won't eat anything but fish either, so I'm also rocking the Weruva and BFF foods. From the research I've done, and from what I've observed, the Weruva has a higher quality fish and more variety than the BFF does. For example, the Tuna and Salmon BFF version is 99.9% tuna with a flake of salmon. And according to their site, the BFF uses a different part of the tunafish (darker and not as prime) but it's still quality.

The only time they have been softer with more energy is when they were on the raw diet but *sigh* mister no fish won't eat it anymore.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

HPL posted:

Just don't buy the Asian medley or whatever it is that has the Japanese anchovy in it. I bought that once and although the cat loved it, the stench was unbearable, especially when he wanted to jump up in your lap for cuddles right after eating it.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

I actually got some of this stuff a few months ago, and my cats loved it. I was also drawn in by the cute label. Really though, when you open it up, it looks like drat good food. Like, actual food. At least, the tuna flavor did.

Our cats are on a food called Fussie Cat right now, and good lord is it even better. It's like crack to them. The chicken flavor looks exactly like chicken pot pie. It actually looks... edible. :catstare:

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

My cats do not get along!

I've moved back home and I'm enjoying living with our two family cats, brother and sister. The sister has always adored me and will follow me about the house, but in an anxious way because she is waiting for me to go back to my room, where she likes to sleep. Generally, the two cats split the house, with Bodie, the Male, hanging around the kitchen/dining room/living room/patio, and Hattie, sleeping in either mine or my parents room, or the office.

They almost never interact, barring a quick sniff if they happen to be waiting for food together, or hissing. Usually it goes like this: Hattie is in a place, Bodie appears, Hattie stiffens up, Hisses dramatically, and because bodie is non-plussed by this, she bolts.

They never fight, but if bodie ever wants to play flight, Hattie will smack him and run off. This has generally been the accepted state of affairs for about 4 or 5 years - but is there any way to reconcile the two?

edit: oh this may be relevant, if we are stroking either of the cats bellies, and they feel playful, they will instantly start batting and kicking, but then run off. I think maybe we where too keen on stopping them from play fighting with hands when they where young.

Fearian fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 9, 2012

Yudo
May 15, 2003

I am feeding my cat Evo dry. She is a bring back from the third world. What I fed her there (wet and dry) is poo poo but it's what I could find. Upon getting her back I wanted to feed her Wellness canned but she would not touch it (same with some other brands). I bought some Evo kibble and she gobbled it up. She is much less itchy and oily now that she eats grain free.

I still want to experiment with other wet foods now that I found a specialty pet store. However, am I inviting a kitty poo poo explosion? Can some cats be switched often and be okay, and others are just sensitive little snowflakes? I am an inexperienced cat owner.

She had her core vaccinations for me to be allowed to take her out of the country, but she needs to see a vet here to be chipped/checked out by someone who speaks my native language. I am, however, dreading the FIV and FeLV tests...

Kambultoh
Aug 1, 2008

Yudo posted:

I am, however, dreading the FIV and FeLV tests...
Me too! Will they test automatically when I take them for their first round of shots, or do I need to specifically request the tests? I hope they're all clear. :ohdear:

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Question, PI. Is there any way to kick a cat's habit of hiding under/behind furniture and then running out and attacking you?

I found a 9 month old cat in Detroit at work last week and that is his favorite game in the evening. I can see him hunched down, ready to pounce, and then he attacks. But sometimes he's under the bed where I can't see, or waiting outside the room, and then lunges at my feet. Also while I am sleeping, he likes to bite my hands and feet (I wiggle my feet when I'm trying to fall asleep).

It's funny and cute now, but when I don't want this behavior to carry over when he's older.

Also, cat poo REEKS. And I live in an 800 sqft apartment. So it smells up the whole place. I am currently feeding him Merrick's DRY food. I'm thinking of switching over to a decent/average canned food (last time I had a cat I paid for premium food and was costing me $60 a month, yeesh!). I was hoping if he had a better diet maybe the poo wouldn't be as stinky.

Lastly, I want to testify to Cat Attract litter. When I brought kitty home (I named him Holden Pawfield) I had bought World's Best Cat Litter. Ladies and gentleman, it's not the world's best cat litter. Holden didn't like it, he instead chose to poop in the bathtub. I immediately went out and bought Cat Attract and he went to it instantly :) We only had on accident where he peed, but he peed on the spot where I put catnip (and he's intact until the 19th, so I don't know if this was a territorial thing or he was just excited).

I'm going to try and switch him over to Swheat Scoop, because I've used it before and I LOVED how often I could clean it because I can put it right in the toilet and flush. Plus, it kept the smell down to a minimum. Is there any trick to switching over litter? I read to put the few inches of Swheat Schoop and then an inch or so of the Cat Attract on top.

Thanks!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

anaaki posted:

Question, PI. Is there any way to kick a cat's habit of hiding under/behind furniture and then running out and attacking you?

I found a 9 month old cat in Detroit at work last week and that is his favorite game in the evening. I can see him hunched down, ready to pounce, and then he attacks. But sometimes he's under the bed where I can't see, or waiting outside the room, and then lunges at my feet. Also while I am sleeping, he likes to bite my hands and feet (I wiggle my feet when I'm trying to fall asleep).

It's funny and cute now, but when I don't want this behavior to carry over when he's older

Give him some other ways to play pounce - trail some toys and things past his hiding place and let him ambush those instead. Try to get him worn out playing that way.

Not sure what to do about the feet in bed though, aside from kicking him out of the room.

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
May I ask if anyone has an opinion on what colour this stupid cat is? I managed to get into an argument about it and putting the question to the Internet seems like the quickest way to get it settled.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

attackbunny posted:

May I ask if anyone has an opinion on what colour this stupid cat is?

"Tabby".

Basically the same colour as my cat, just a different degree of whiteness.

Aelia
May 13, 2008
So, is it normal for cats to have an obsession with pouncing on each other while one or the other is pooping?

Because seriously.

They hear the sound of the litterbox, and whoever is not currently using it will go into primal-hunter mode and wait to pounce until they're almost finished.

I'm a little concerned that this may turn into someone being afraid of the boxes. (I really mean Isobel, who is super skittish and has actually run from her own shadow.)

Cats (Patrick is grey, Isobel is cream):

Edit:
Also, BFF Brand is what my demons eat. They used to go absolutely nuts for it, but notsomuch now. (They're also on Wellness dry) I like BFF because it's BPA and Grain free, and Patrick is in love with tuna but, they don't always seem interested in it.

They also really liked Tiki Cat, but unless you wash those cans out well, your house smells like the bad kind of fish market within hours.

The one they really didn't like was the Wellness canned food. It would sit for hours.

Aelia fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 10, 2012

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Aelia posted:

So, is it normal for cats to have an obsession with pouncing on each other while one or the other is pooping?

Because seriously.

They hear the sound of the litterbox, and whoever is not currently using it will go into primal-hunter mode and wait to pounce until they're almost finished.

I'm a little concerned that this may turn into someone being afraid of the boxes. (I really mean Isobel, who is super skittish and has actually run from her own shadow.)
My bigger cat always does this to my smaller scaredy cat (though she waits until she has actually exited the litter box to pounce). Haven't had any issues on my end.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
My pair of idiots have now moved on to competitive licking. :catstare:

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Aelia posted:

Because seriously.

Cats (Patrick is grey, Isobel is cream):

Edit:
Also, BFF Brand is what my demons eat. They used to go absolutely nuts for it, but notsomuch now. (They're also on Wellness dry) I like BFF because it's BPA and Grain free, and Patrick is in love with tuna but, they don't always seem interested in it.

They also really liked Tiki Cat, but unless you wash those cans out well, your house smells like the bad kind of fish market within hours.

The one they really didn't like was the Wellness canned food. It would sit for hours.

Isobel looks like the grown up version of one of our fosters, Daenerys.

Any advice on bathing kitties? We just tried to give our guy a bath and he's getting too big for us to control. He was squirming everywhere and yowling and when I tried to move my hand because I thought I was hurting him, he turned around, bit me, AND HELD THE gently caress ON EVEN AFTER I LET HIM GO. But he gets gross and smelly quite often due to his evil poos of smelly doom*, so he kind of really needs baths sometimes so we can't just not bathe him.

*We've had him examined by a vet several times, and he has no parasites, and antibiotics only cleared it up partially. He still has stinky, wet poos no matter what the gently caress we feed him.

Also I think our girl cat is giving herself hairballs grooming the fosters. She's had massive coughing fits ever since she started doing this.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
My bath technique involves 2 people. Person one holds the cat under the faucet of the kitchen sink. Put an oven mitt on your left hand, so the cat can grab on and bite without hurting you. Use that hand to hold up the front part of the cat by supporting the chest. Use your right hand to scruff the cat, and otherwise move it as needed. (The cat's hind legs remain standing on the bottom of the sink for support.) Person 2 then does the actual shampooing and rinsing, facing the back of the cat. (The little pull out sprayer thing on the sink is great here.) Have a towel ready to immediately burrito the cat when the bath is over to defend against further claws of doom.

Also, one of my cats had mushy poo issues, but Royal Canin's Special 33 digestive kibble works great for her, so give that a shot if you haven't already. I wish I could feed premium/grain free food, but oh well. It works for her.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

attackbunny posted:

May I ask if anyone has an opinion on what colour this stupid cat is? I managed to get into an argument about it and putting the question to the Internet seems like the quickest way to get it settled.

Not giving a ton to work with, face only and really small pic, but looks like a brown tabby and white to me.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

attackbunny posted:

You could use the cat color guide.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I posted earlier that I adopted an adult spayed female cat, and she's been doing well, if a bit goopy-eyed at times. The problem is that she's very picky about eating her food. I started off feeding her the Purina Pro dry food that the shelter gave us as well as 3 oz. of Tiki Cat wet food once per day. She seemed to like the wet food, but only ate a tiny bit of it. So, I started giving her smaller portions more times per day, up to 4 times. She would just lick the gravy off the food and leave any chunks, and if I didn't throw it out in time, she'd try to bury it under the rug. So I thought that the problem was the chunks, and have tried every non-lovely pate food at the pet store, and she won't eat the full amount of even the smallest portions. Sometimes I'd even put out the wet food and she'd eat the leftover dry food instead of it.

In the meantime, I've switched her to Wilderness Chicken Blue Buffalo dry food. For the past three days, I've just been feeding her two 1/4 cup meals of the dry stuff. She'll still meow and sit by her bowl when there's food in it, so I think she might miss the wet food, but she doesn't eat it when I give it to her. I'm sick of having to throw out half of the smelly wet food; is it fine to just feed her the dry food? Or does anyone know of a wet food with almost no chunks? Even with pate style, she'll just lick all the moisture off and leave the actual substance. She's eating a little less than half a cup of dry food per day right now.

Pics to make up for the long post:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If she doesn't like wet food, gently caress it, feed her dry food.

She is super cute :3:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Dogen posted:

If she doesn't like wet food, gently caress it, feed her dry food.

She is super cute :3:

:sigh: She's just being difficult because she knows that she's got me whipped.

Also, that hilarious pose on the bottom is pretty much her default position. When she's chasing string, she'll just flop on her back and scoot and roll around instead of chasing it like a normal cat. No wonder she's a butterball. At least she lets me rub dat belly.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Schmeichy posted:

Even with pate style, she'll just lick all the moisture off and leave the actual substance. She's eating a little less than half a cup of dry food per day right now.

If you're tired of throwing it out and want to try again, add a little water to the leftovers and make a disgusting slurry. Heat it slightly (10-15 seconds in the microwave?) so it's extra stinky.

If she doesn't go for that, she's just not going to eat much wet food. Try to make sure that she always has plenty of water available, and you might try a fountain.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Engineer Lenk posted:

If you're tired of throwing it out and want to try again, add a little water to the leftovers and make a disgusting slurry. Heat it slightly (10-15 seconds in the microwave?) so it's extra stinky.

If she doesn't go for that, she's just not going to eat much wet food. Try to make sure that she always has plenty of water available, and you might try a fountain.

Yeah, I tried that when I saw she liked licking the moisture from the food.
"Well, I'll just make it all moisture!" She didn't go for it.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

My kitten loves him some wet food. He'll munch on wet+dry mixed together without too many problems, but a bowl of just dry food ends up as a "LOL LOOK AT ALL THESE LITTLE FUN TOYS IN THIS BOWL THAT I CAN THROW AROUND THE FLOOR!" spaz-fest with him literally scooping the kibble out of the bowl and actively throwing it around the floor, sometimes using all four legs. How the hell can I get him to eat his dry food and not think that it's super-fun play-time? I can't really continue going home for lunch every day to feed him in the afternoon, and I can't exactly leave out a bowl of wet food all day for him to munch on.

EDIT: Behold.

Cpaka fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 11, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Cpaka posted:

My kitten loves him some wet food. He'll munch on wet+dry mixed together without too many problems, but a bowl of just dry food ends up as a "LOL LOOK AT ALL THESE LITTLE FUN TOYS IN THIS BOWL THAT I CAN THROW AROUND THE FLOOR!" spaz-fest with him literally scooping the kibble out of the bowl and actively throwing it around the floor, sometimes using all four legs. How the hell can I get him to eat his dry food and not think that it's super-fun play-time? I can't really continue going home for lunch every day to feed him in the afternoon, and I can't exactly leave out a bowl of wet food all day for him to munch on.

You could make the food super fun play time on a more controlled basis, using a puzzle toy for feeding. That would at least release one kibble at a time, rather than spraying them everywhere.

If you want to do the boring route, get a spill-less bowl with an overhanging rim, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Spill-less-Bowl-10-Inch-Purple/dp/B000JD158Y

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I tried clipping my cat's nails yesterday. While I managed to not hurt him, the results were less than satisfactory using regular nail clippers (inconsistent from claw to claw and sort of raggedy). What does everyone else here use for clipping claws?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HPL posted:

I tried clipping my cat's nails yesterday. While I managed to not hurt him, the results were less than satisfactory using regular nail clippers (inconsistent from claw to claw and sort of raggedy). What does everyone else here use for clipping claws?

Scissors-style (not guillotine) clippers - I find they're easier to position and cut cleaner. If claws are splintering, your clippers are dull - sharpen or get a new pair.

These are tough enough for the dogs but also work well for the cat:

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Profes...safari+clippers

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Schmeichy posted:

She would just lick the gravy off the food and leave any chunks, and if I didn't throw it out in time, she'd try to bury it under the rug.

She's trying to bury it to save it for later. :3: Apparently this is a holdover from a natural instinct cats have to bury their food. Mine does the same thing - I thought the kitchen rug kept getting messed up because she was running around on it, until I caught her pawing at it in an attempt to drag it over to her food bowl. She likes to eat about half her breakfast, take a break, and then come back an hour later or so to finish it. I ended up putting a dish towel on the floor next to the food dish and now she uses that to cover her leftovers every morning.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Cpaka posted:

EDIT: Behold.

Try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-SlimCat-Food-Distributor-Ball/dp/B0018CG40O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339455414&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+feeder+ball

i use this with my cat and since he's a fatty, he has to use it. i put the ball in the bathtub since the specs of food can come out of the ball and make your carpet/floor dirty. every time i take a shower, all the dirt from the food comes right off.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

SupahCoolX posted:

My bath technique involves 2 people. Person one holds the cat under the faucet of the kitchen sink. Put an oven mitt on your left hand, so the cat can grab on and bite without hurting you. Use that hand to hold up the front part of the cat by supporting the chest. Use your right hand to scruff the cat, and otherwise move it as needed. (The cat's hind legs remain standing on the bottom of the sink for support.) Person 2 then does the actual shampooing and rinsing, facing the back of the cat. (The little pull out sprayer thing on the sink is great here.) Have a towel ready to immediately burrito the cat when the bath is over to defend against further claws of doom.

Also, one of my cats had mushy poo issues, but Royal Canin's Special 33 digestive kibble works great for her, so give that a shot if you haven't already. I wish I could feed premium/grain free food, but oh well. It works for her.

The oven mitt idea is brilliant! I wish I thought of that.

We tried wellness core with our guy once, he wasn't a fan. I'll give Royal Canin a shot after the ginormous bags of science diet (it's what our girly cat was eating at the shelter) and Wellness chicken run out. He was on i/d for awhile, but hated it, the picky gently caress.

HPL, buy some cat nail clippers at a pet store or on amazon.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
So, my girlfriend got herself some new kittens, and since she is in class all day, I get to take care of them! One of them seems to be doing great, eating, pooing, sleeping, etc, but the other... It hasn't eaten much and hasn't gone to the litter box. I'm kinda worried because she wasn't active at all when the other one woke up. They got here yesterday and I'm not quite sure what to do.

The kitten in question did decide to lap up some kitty formula before bed last night, and I tried the whole warm and damp paper towel on the butt thing, but i got nothing. It also tried to eat kitty litter when it was introduced to the box, but we stopped it from eating too much. (like 3-4 little grains) Additionally, the poor thing had fleas when we got it so it's been getting lots of visits from the flea spray and comb.

I'm not sure what to do and we are both getting worried about the little thing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Engineer Lenk posted:

Scissors-style (not guillotine) clippers - I find they're easier to position and cut cleaner. If claws are splintering, your clippers are dull - sharpen or get a new pair.

These are tough enough for the dogs but also work well for the cat:

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Profes...safari+clippers
I use normal clippers, the big kind that I guess are designed for toenails? In any case, when I first took my cats to the vet when they were about 7 months old, the lady said their nails splintering was probably due to poor nutrition.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

Zev posted:

Vet?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I use normal clippers, the big kind that I guess are designed for toenails? In any case, when I first took my cats to the vet when they were about 7 months old, the lady said their nails splintering was probably due to poor nutrition.
:gonk: I would not do this for 2 reasons: it seems like your nail clippers would break, and those are designed to cut flat nails rather than solid, round nails like animals have. I'd definitely be afraid of splintering.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Zev posted:

So, my girlfriend got herself some new kittens, and since she is in class all day, I get to take care of them! One of them seems to be doing great, eating, pooing, sleeping, etc, but the other... It hasn't eaten much and hasn't gone to the litter box. I'm kinda worried because she wasn't active at all when the other one woke up. They got here yesterday and I'm not quite sure what to do.

The kitten in question did decide to lap up some kitty formula before bed last night, and I tried the whole warm and damp paper towel on the butt thing, but i got nothing. It also tried to eat kitty litter when it was introduced to the box, but we stopped it from eating too much. (like 3-4 little grains) Additionally, the poor thing had fleas when we got it so it's been getting lots of visits from the flea spray and comb.

The kitten needs to see a veterinarian sooner rather than later.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Took her to the vet, the idea is that she got taken away from her moma too soon and hasn't gotten the whole eating and pooing thing down.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Zev posted:

How old are we talking here? It may need to be bottle-fed initially rather than left with food to work on on its own. Have you tried stimulating its little butthole with a wet paper towel or washcloth to help it poop? If you're not sure how old they are, post some pictures and we'll see if we can help. I'm not so sure about flea spray on a baby kitten either... Did the vet OK that?

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!
Quick kitten question:

Preface: I do not own a cat nor wish to own a cat.

A few minutes ago I heard something crash in my garage and went out to see what it was. It turns out the engine bay of one of my cars is filled with kittens. I know there are at least 2, but I think there is a third in there somewhere. They look to be weened, but thin. They also don't want anything to do with me.

I opened the garage door high enough to let them leave, but I also put out a can of tuna and a bowl of water in case they needed it.

Was this bad? Should I just shoo them off to fend for themselves, or is leaving some food out a good/bad thing?

I'm not going to take them in as pets or anything, but I'd prefer not to be responsible for kittens starving to death.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012
Does this happen to anyone else?

We own a silver tabby kitten, ~7 months old. He's a handful of trouble, but generally we're on top of the various training/behavioural things, and he's hella cute, friendly, and playful, which generally makes up for it anyway.

He doesn't have any trouble finding the crystal litterbox - 99% of the time.

The thing is: the odd times he does "misfire" and piss somewhere else (beenbag, blanket) - and it's only happened a few times - the smell of the cat piss just does something to me, mentally. I am otherwise a pretty calm and not-histronic guy, but that smell just kinda shuts my brain down with instant, overwhelming depression.

What's up with this? Anyone else get this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

duckfarts posted:

:gonk: I would not do this for 2 reasons: it seems like your nail clippers would break, and those are designed to cut flat nails rather than solid, round nails like animals have. I'd definitely be afraid of splintering.
Wait what? I cut the cats' nails from the side, not straight on like you do with fingernails.