Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So uh I guess I beat the game? I am the Seneschal now and I can go creep around Cassardis and Gran Soren while invisible. Doesn't seem to be much else I can do though? I'm assuming other people have reached this point, so what am I supposed to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which chamber in the Everfall does everyone like to farm chests in? I see pawns outfitted in really awesome looking armor that I know for a fact comes from the Everfall. My luck just has it that I only get goddamn Wakestone shards because I really need those despite the fact that I have over 200 of them in my bank. I got some really awesome arm armor things called the Twilight Manicae that are Assassin/Ranger only and the more assassin gear I find the better.

Edit:

Flame112 posted:

So uh I guess I beat the game? I am the Seneschal now and I can go creep around Cassardis and Gran Soren while invisible. Doesn't seem to be much else I can do though? I'm assuming other people have reached this point, so what am I supposed to do?

Godsbane blade. For the Emperor!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Flame112 posted:

kill yourself, you have a knife in your inventory for that purpose

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Everybody always says the Chamber of Fate is awful but when I did it there was just a lonely wyvern in there. There must be several possible enemy layouts and I got lucky. But that would still be weird since I did the one with a cockatrice twice and it was no different the second time.

Some, not all, chambers have two different encounters in them. Fate is one of them.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So I decided to try out the Assassin class after leveling mostly as a Strider with a few levels of Fighter thrown into the mix. I'm still trying to get used to the loss of the ensnare ability that the Strider had but I'm also having great fun with some of the sword skills that the Assassin gets.

Are there any "must have" skills from the Dagger and Sword trees for the Assassin, in order to make leveling this vocation a bit faster?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

This game looks amazing but I've had it since Monday and restarted like six times because the face will look fine in the character creation screen but in game it will look terrible. :smith:

But I got that tutorial chimera loving down.

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

Everybody always says the Chamber of Fate is awful but when I did it there was just a lonely wyvern in there. There must be several possible enemy layouts and I got lucky. But that would still be weird since I did the one with a cockatrice twice and it was no different the second time.

That's a Drake, if I remember correctly. But yeah, if you beat a monster/s in any area with two different spawns, save after killing them and load, the other encounter will spawn.

Mystic Knight question: I've spent most of my levels as a sorcerer and mage, so my magic is my highest stat by far and an enchanted weapon complements that. But I remember reading here that using an enchantment spell overrides whatever is on your weapon and (correct me if I'm wrong), enchantments come from your shield on a MK, which has 1000+ magic on mine. Does that mean I'm ultimately better using a very strong physical mace and enchanting it? Any ideas how this changes damage with the magic cannon? I wish there was more transparency with these stats, it can be confusing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bussamove posted:

This game looks amazing but I've had it since Monday and restarted like six times because the face will look fine in the character creation screen but in game it will look terrible. :smith:

Just hold out a little bit longer until you get one of the two in-game items that let you redesign your characters.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Sylphosaurus posted:

So I decided to try out the Assassin class after leveling mostly as a Strider with a few levels of Fighter thrown into the mix. I'm still trying to get used to the loss of the ensnare ability that the Strider had but I'm also having great fun with some of the sword skills that the Assassin gets.

Are there any "must have" skills from the Dagger and Sword trees for the Assassin, in order to make leveling this vocation a bit faster?

Powder Charge / Powder Blast does a huge amount of AoE damage to anything it hits, and is good against any non-flying enemy, and great against large size enemies. Gouge / Dire Gouge do huge damage to enemies you can cling to. Both are must-have abilities. Clarity is also a pretty useful abilities against bandits and goblins, since it has a pretty huge window to counter their attack and does damage to basically any enemy near you.

Daggers give you double jump and Easy Kill, which is the dagger version of Clarity but more damaging. Other than that, dagger skills on assassin don't seem as good as what you get from swords.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Edge Zero posted:

Powder Charge / Powder Blast does a huge amount of AoE damage to anything it hits, and is good against any non-flying enemy, and great against large size enemies. Gouge / Dire Gouge do huge damage to enemies you can cling to. Both are must-have abilities. Clarity is also a pretty useful abilities against bandits and goblins, since it has a pretty huge window to counter their attack and does damage to basically any enemy near you.

Daggers give you double jump and Easy Kill, which is the dagger version of Clarity but more damaging. Other than that, dagger skills on assassin don't seem as good as what you get from swords.

On this note I tried swords but I can't stop using daggers on my assassin because I just like double jumping too much :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bussamove posted:

This always happens to me. Somehow it just comes out of the editor looking way different than it did five minutes ago. I'm a solid 3 hours into my second playthrough and still considering restarting just to go back to my first face, and to change Old Snake back to Freighter S.

When I finished the first time it felt so awesome that I didn't want to do anything different than my first run, and sure enough the two or so things I did end up changing have been worse--I don't like being a Mage as much as Strider, and Old Snake just doesn't feel the same as Freighter S. He also looks a bit like Albert Einstein from certain angles which is absolutely not what I wanted.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Samurai Sanders posted:

kill yourself, you have a knife in your inventory for that purpose

I just have to say that this is one of the most messed up ways to truly "complete" a game. Right up there with Ending D in Nier.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

I just have to say that this is one of the most messed up ways to truly "complete" a game. Right up there with Ending D in Nier.

I thought it was pretty awesome honestly. I suppose if you look at the literal effects of what you're doing, then yes, you are stabbing yourself in the chest in front of the loyal companion who has been with you the whole time, but in actuality you're giving him your identity/soul and ending the pointless cycle of chaos that has forced the world to be endlessly destroyed and futilely rebuilt since time began, or didn't, as the case may be. The text at the end is particularly encouraging, if anyone missed it:

"You feel an odd pride as you plunge the Godsbane into your chest, as if claiming a great victory. Finally, there is an end for your tale -- one penned by your own hand, no less. As your consciousness fades into the black, you feel a peculiar sensation on your lips: You are smiling.

Cleansed by the surf, a body washes ashore on a deserted beach. Nameless, this soul awakens, eyes gleaming with the will to live, and for all things worth living for."

Beyond that, I do find the whole Godsbane animation pretty hilarious, particularly after I had used it several times before to try to get better things out of chests. Wakestone shard? Major depressive episode time *stab*

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone need wyrms tear or volant or talarian white?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Lenaway posted:

Whole party including the Arisen is female. Must've attacked them the first time I passed through or something. They don't aggro until I walk up to Ophis.
So even though I did the cyclops quest I'm stuck?

It's gonna be a pain to get the all quests achievement...

I actually killed a bunch of them my first time through out of self-defense, so that can't be it.

So the quest is in two tiers, right? You talk to Ophis, she says kills dudes. Then You talk to the other bandit, and she says, feed Cyclops. So you turn the cyclops feeding into other bandit--then turn the whole quest in to Ophis.

So did you do the whole other-bandit turn-in first?

If it's still glitchy, maybe buy that character reconfigure item from the Encampment for 5k rift crystals? Use it to "reset" your character as a female?

Arc Impulse posted:

Hahaha, no worries, anything goes to get through that area without starting a bloodbath after all. Was he working out okay for you in battle? He seems to do just fine in my own game, but I don't know if his personality traits work out as well online.

I've used him 3-4 times at least. He's my go-to whenever I need a Ranger. My only complaint is that he totally steals my kills when I'm tanking. :arghfist:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

PunkBoy posted:

This game starts as Skyrim and then sharply turns into Drakengard

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I thought it was pretty awesome honestly. I suppose if you look at the literal effects of what you're doing, then yes, you are stabbing yourself in the chest in front of the loyal companion who has been with you the whole time, but in actuality you're giving him your identity/soul and ending the pointless cycle of chaos that has forced the world to be endlessly destroyed and futilely rebuilt since time began, or didn't, as the case may be. The text at the end is particularly encouraging, if anyone missed it:

"You feel an odd pride as you plunge the Godsbane into your chest, as if claiming a great victory. Finally, there is an end for your tale -- one penned by your own hand, no less. As your consciousness fades into the black, you feel a peculiar sensation on your lips: You are smiling.

Cleansed by the surf, a body washes ashore on a deserted beach. Nameless, this soul awakens, eyes gleaming with the will to live, and for all things worth living for."

Beyond that, I do find the whole Godsbane animation pretty hilarious, particularly after I had used it several times before to try to get better things out of chests. Wakestone shard? Major depressive episode time *stab*

Oh, I'm not saying it's bad. I really liked the last bit of text as well. I cannot believe that in the end, I've unironically enjoyed the story.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I guess my game overheard me say it was getting too easy, because it threw a cockatrice at me. Nothing quite as terrifying as losing all of your pawns slowly, with all of them crying out in horror at being petrified, having none of the appropriate curatives to save them or yourself if you mess up, and then the sun goes down...

I'm sorry, Dragon's Dogma. I didn't mean it. :(

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

Saturday Mornings posted:

I guess my game overheard me say it was getting too easy, because it threw a cockatrice at me. Nothing quite as terrifying as losing all of your pawns slowly, with all of them crying out in horror at being petrified, having none of the appropriate curatives to save them or yourself if you mess up, and then the sun goes down...

I'm sorry, Dragon's Dogma. I didn't mean it. :(

Dude, the same thing happened to me very late into the game while fighting a Archhydra. It proceeded to eat my warrior and mage, and I couldn't get to the necks fast enough to remove them and save their lives. Left me and my main pawn to contend with it alone, probably one of the most exciting battles I've had.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does Dexterity from Strider (the climb fast augment) work if you're a sword-wielding assassin?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Does Dexterity from Strider (the climb fast augment) work if you're a sword-wielding assassin?

Any augment can be used on any vocation, it's core skills that are weapon-specific. So dexterity should work fine.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The Lone Badger posted:

All augments work with all builds unless they are for something specific (so an augment that lowers bow recoil won't do anything for a warrior, for example).

So, yes.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Note that dexterity is just for climbing terrain, while the strider vocation itself climbs monsters faster.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I leave for a week for work, come home, turn on my Xbox, and my pawn has gained me 2.8 million rift crystals, but dropped from rank 53 in the world to rank 103.

Since I have no use for rift crystals, I'm going to wipe my thrice-completed game save and start over!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That fanfare you get when you kill a big enemy is hilarious if you fight a whole bunch of them in quick succession. It just keeps getting more funny. I got it about three times in ten minutes once. I killed some big thing, then a Cyclops halfway up a mountain, then one of the pawns fell off so I had to jump down to revive them, where I was set upon by a Chimera. I just like the idea of a big orchestra following the Arisen around.

Oh, and the thing that happens when you fall a long enough way is always funny to me. Especially when you have enough health to survive it most of the time. Plus you get blood all over the place. Reminds me of Saint's Row 3 actually, in terms of jumping off for a shortcut. Pity there's no augment to get rid of falling damage, or at least not one I've found.

I think fighting the dragon sorts of enemies is probably the best, in terms of the big ones. I just really like that you can get right up in its grille and stab it about, while the pawns continue to warn you about goblins, and die when they get shouted at by the dragon. I always think a bit of Skyrim when that happens.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

There's no augment to get rid of falling damage, but Magic Archer has one that halves it at Level 6.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

likecnsnnts posted:

I actually killed a bunch of them my first time through out of self-defense, so that can't be it.

So the quest is in two tiers, right? You talk to Ophis, she says kills dudes. Then You talk to the other bandit, and she says, feed Cyclops. So you turn the cyclops feeding into other bandit--then turn the whole quest in to Ophis.

So did you do the whole other-bandit turn-in first?

If it's still glitchy, maybe buy that character reconfigure item from the Encampment for 5k rift crystals? Use it to "reset" your character as a female?

I actually didn't do the quest for Ophis. I did the equivilent one for Maul. I guess I'll just have to get it on my next playthrough.

Apso
May 30, 2008

bear is driving! posted:

I leave for a week for work, come home, turn on my Xbox, and my pawn has gained me 2.8 million rift crystals, but dropped from rank 53 in the world to rank 103.

Since I have no use for rift crystals, I'm going to wipe my thrice-completed game save and start over!

What level and class is your pawn? Mines around 60 and still nets gently caress all in terms of rift crystals, like 300 when returning from another player.

Similarly, if a pawn returns with crystals/presents but no rating does it mean it died or something? I've only gotten one rating so far :(

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Apso posted:

What level and class is your pawn? Mines around 60 and still nets gently caress all in terms of rift crystals, like 300 when returning from another player.

Similarly, if a pawn returns with crystals/presents but no rating does it mean it died or something? I've only gotten one rating so far :(

You're getting pity fake rentals :toot: You always get a rating when someone rents your pawn, it will just be all threes with no comment if they die. Also why your rift crystals are so low, since a real person having your pawn for like 2 minutes before sending them back will be 300+ RC.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Apparently I've taught my pawn to destroy any boxes/crates he comes across, which is hilarious when you get to a rest camp that offers shelter and he just goes on a box murdering spree as a thank you for their kindness.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RME posted:

Apparently I've taught my pawn to destroy any boxes/crates he comes across, which is hilarious when you get to a rest camp that offers shelter and he just goes on a box murdering spree as a thank you for their kindness.
I thought all pawns did that no matter what. Every time I walk into someone's house or something the first thing I hear is boxes being smashed and pawns saying "this looks interesting" after picking up an apple or something.

edit: that "this looks interesting" thing is just one of the many irritating/charming things pawns say constantly. Can both an apple and a grand dragon's claw or whatever both just be "interesting"?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Is this your house, Arisen? *smashes nearest box*

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought all pawns did that no matter what. Every time I walk into someone's house or something the first thing I hear is boxes being smashed.

I would think this except he didn't always do this as far as I can tell, and none of the pawns I've rented have had this behavior either, only my main pawn.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The funniest thing happened to me with a pawn smashing things. I was standing on a box, and used a Ferrystone. Arisen throws it in the air, and the pawn smashes the box right out from underneath me. It cancelled using the drat thing and I had to select it again. Made sure I was on solid ground first though. Plus the camera decide to focus on the pawn that did it for a while. Pawns do some silly things.

Oh, and every time I visit the Witch's hut, they all start running around smashing the place up and stealing everything.

Apso
May 30, 2008

Count Uvula posted:

You're getting pity fake rentals :toot: You always get a rating when someone rents your pawn, it will just be all threes with no comment if they die. Also why your rift crystals are so low, since a real person having your pawn for like 2 minutes before sending them back will be 300+ RC.

Aha, well that's depressing. My pawns unpopularity aside, this game turned out to be far more fun than I'd anticipated. NG+ feels like Chrono Trigger's where steamrolling is part of the appeal, but there's also a whole new dimension of gameplay introduced.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Apso posted:

Aha, well that's depressing. My pawns unpopularity aside, this game turned out to be far more fun than I'd anticipated. NG+ feels like Chrono Trigger's where steamrolling is part of the appeal, but there's also a whole new dimension of gameplay introduced.

If you don't feel bad about objectifying female game characters to satisfy creepy internet perverts, the brief period I had my pawn dressed in tremendously skimpy clothing got me like a dozen hires alone!

Now she's in berserk swordsman gear and I feel better about myself.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Apso posted:

What's your gamertag? I'll rent your pawn! I don't have any cool items to offer; I've just been giving any goon pawns alcohol to take back to their masters.

edit for anyone: What's the max number of friends for an xbox friendlist? I've been adding tons of peeps from the spreadsheet.

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 10, 2012

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow, Golems suck to fight as a sorceror. My pawns were incompetent so I had to punch it to death.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I just got this game today and I've already played a few hours of it. It's pretty drat confusing at first but it's also awesome. I like how most fights with big monsters start off with you scared shitless of them, then eventually end in you feeling like a huge bastard as you ram your flaming greatsword into a blinded cyclops's gooch. Or when one of your pawns is holding up a squirming goblin and you run him through.

Most people's pawns do seem like creepy pedo-bait. My pawn is an old, tiny mage called Morlon who follows my giant conan style warrior dude around casting spells (generally the wrong ones) and getting batted off ramparts by charging cyclopses.

I wish the screenshot facility let you take higher res shots, mine looked great on the PS3 but when I copied them over to my memory stick they look muddy and hideous on the PC.

Here's my dude and Morlon in the background, and that's the picture after I did some work on it in GIMP to make them at all visible. It was a daylight shot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought all pawns did that no matter what. Every time I walk into someone's house or something the first thing I hear is boxes being smashed and pawns saying "this looks interesting" after picking up an apple or something.

edit: that "this looks interesting" thing is just one of the many irritating/charming things pawns say constantly. Can both an apple and a grand dragon's claw or whatever both just be "interesting"?

I think it's that they only start doing it once you've done it once. They just don't care if the boxes are in someone's house or not.

• Locked thread