Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

For another warmup exercise, a variation on 2-on-1's:

- Defenders line up at the blue line, forwards make two groups at either side of the goal line (a pile of pucks with each group).
- One forward passes to the defender, who takes a shot at the net (slapper if he can, otherwise wrist/snap - key thing is not to gently caress around with it, one touch at most before taking the shot). Getting it on net >> power/aiming for a corner.
- Defender goes to the front of the net. Both forwards move up the wall to about the top of the circles (the forward who didn't pass to the D should be carrying a puck).
- From there play it as a standard 2-on-1.

If you want to be extra dicky to your defenders, you can have your centres on the blueline somewhere too, and make it a 3-on-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
This isn't my team anymore but they were for a couple of seasons, their captain is a really nice guy, except he can't ever put the puck in the back of the net.

I don't know how many times I've stoned him when he had a wide-open chance and yet he always shoots it right into my chest. Well apparently tonight he didn't and actually got a goal, and then this is how he celebrate it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlDwA8csLU&hd=1

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Just back from a 5-1 drubbing that was pretty poorly officiated. Questionable waiving of icing (both ways), weak calls, missing huge calls. Out team is normally pretty good with refs, but we gave them some chirping tonight. So, I have a question for you zebra types: how do you feel when you have a bad game? How do you know when you've had a bad game? Do you trust when the players are giving you a hard time?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

Just back from a 5-1 drubbing that was pretty poorly officiated. Questionable waiving of icing (both ways), weak calls, missing huge calls. Out team is normally pretty good with refs, but we gave them some chirping tonight. So, I have a question for you zebra types: how do you feel when you have a bad game? How do you know when you've had a bad game? Do you trust when the players are giving you a hard time?

Players will give us a hard time whether we're missing things or not. This is because you're all biased, and most of you don't actually know the rules very well. So I'd say probably 90% of the time, players arguing poo poo with me gets a :rolleyes: reaction.

But you have to keep in mind that you are playing beer league, and the officials are not going to be perfect. There are any number of reasons why things might go to poo poo during a game - might have a pretty new official, the pair might not work well together, one guy's mom is in the hospital and he has trouble concentrating ....whatever. For the most part, they're trying their hardest, just like you are out on the ice, and just like your guys are going to trip over the blue line and gently caress up passes and do really stupid things, the refs not going to call things exactly the way that you might feel like they should. So I guess my answer to how do I feel about it if I know I probably did worse than average during that game with making the "right" calls, is that I'll go over with my partner and review in my mind the situations that were questionable after the game, think about what my thought process was and how to improve it next time and then move on, because it's beer league hockey in northern California and we're all still learning in some way. ;)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Topoisomerase posted:

Players will give us a hard time whether we're missing things or not. This is because you're all biased, and most of you don't actually know the rules very well. So I'd say probably 90% of the time, players arguing poo poo with me gets a :rolleyes: reaction.

But you have to keep in mind that you are playing beer league, and the officials are not going to be perfect. There are any number of reasons why things might go to poo poo during a game - might have a pretty new official, the pair might not work well together, one guy's mom is in the hospital and he has trouble concentrating ....whatever. For the most part, they're trying their hardest, just like you are out on the ice, and just like your guys are going to trip over the blue line and gently caress up passes and do really stupid things, the refs not going to call things exactly the way that you might feel like they should. So I guess my answer to how do I feel about it if I know I probably did worse than average during that game with making the "right" calls, is that I'll go over with my partner and review in my mind the situations that were questionable after the game, think about what my thought process was and how to improve it next time and then move on, because it's beer league hockey in northern California and we're all still learning in some way. ;)
I understand that refs are out there performing, too, and so they are gonna have good games and bad games. And I understand there are times when I may not know all the details about rules and what not, but there are times when you don't need to know those details to know that an officiating team is having an awful game.

If you're told there was a penalty you just didn't see, how do you respond/react? How do you determine whether or not it happened, or do you just not even think about it? I guess if you didn't see it there's not much you can do about it and maybe it's not worth thinking about.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Sometimes I have a hard time being "awake" during late games.. Energy drinks during the week are a no go because I have to get up early for work.. Anyone try/know anything about smelling salts?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

poser posted:

Sometimes I have a hard time being "awake" during late games.. Energy drinks during the week are a no go because I have to get up early for work.. Anyone try/know anything about smelling salts?

I think most of those things are hoaxes, that at best has a placebo effect. Try taking a 15 minute power nap 1 hour to 30 minutes before the game. Haven't tried it for hockey, but I used to do it all the time before shows when I worked as a sound tech.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Take a five hour energy or something 2-3 hours before the game starts? I can't comment on smelling salts, never tried em.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
It's always best to talk to refs after everyone's cooled down. Skating up to a ref and yelling about a disallowed goal immediately afterward isn't going to do anything useful. Asking the ref between periods what they saw on the play is a different story. I don't think they mind too much if you then follow it up with, "No, that was definitely in," or something as long as you aren't arguing and drop it afterward.

I've always had a pretty good relationship with refs. I've had refs tell me that they blew a call after the game when I was polite about asking, and I'll generally tell them after the game or period if they blew a call that went in my favor.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk about being nice to refs. Playing goal, I went to shoot the puck back to center ice after a goal and hit a ref who came from out of nowhere behind me in the mouth with the follow through :sigh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

On days I'm dragging, I chow down on almonds like they're going out of style. The calories really add up, but they get me bouncing in my chair if I eat enough of them (something like 1-2 cups of them over a 3 hour period).

I do it both before hockey and before gym workouts, and it's the best solution I've found that doesn't involve exotic concoctions.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

ManicJason posted:

Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk about being nice to refs. Playing goal, I went to shoot the puck back to center ice after a goal and hit a ref who came from out of nowhere behind me in the mouth with the follow through :sigh:

Thursday night I rifled a shot into the side of a ref's knee. I felt bad and apologized. About seven minutes later I hit the same ref in the boot with another wrister. Poor dude just suffering because of me.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

If you're told there was a penalty you just didn't see, how do you respond/react? How do you determine whether or not it happened, or do you just not even think about it? I guess if you didn't see it there's not much you can do about it and maybe it's not worth thinking about.

If I literally didn't see something, it's because it was either deliberately done to avoid being seen (i.e. far behind the play) or I was out of position. I would take the blame for the latter, but not really the former. But at the risk of going all House MD - people lie. And people misinterpret things. Especially when they have some interest in the outcome. To be honest, most of the things that referees "miss" are actually because we're making judgment calls. In beer league, there are a lot of collisions and incidents that might look pretty brutal but some guy may have just lost his edge at a bad time and that's how it started. The only things I will call pretty much automatically are headshots and high-sticks, regardless of whether they seem to be intentional or not.

But yeah, there isn't a whole lot I can do about something that some player tells me happened except watch for the offender to repeat. And if a player comes up to me (between periods, like ManicJason suggests) and says that some specific player has gotten away with poo poo, and the player talking to me is not acting like a douchebag, I'll try to make note to watch that player if at all possible. Or watch for some infraction that I might be missing if it's an overall thing and the player suggests constructively.

And especially at lower levels, most of us are always happy to clarify or explain our reasoning for a call that a person thought was unreasonable. You'll get some officials with some kind of complexes of course, who will blow people off - there's some in every group! But the majority of us will be cool about it. I've apologized about stuff I know that I called wrong too, for the record, even though most officials and training programs will say not to. It's just part of my nature I guess to want to own up to my mistakes - feel like it helps me to learn from them. v:shobon:v

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Top, I don't know much of what is said in upper level leagues by refs when players are arguing, complaining, etc. However, there is a ref in my league that will start to argue back at the player and in some cases when the player starts to swear at the ref and insult the ref, the ref will dish it right back and almost egg on the player. It almost seems like the ref wants to be the focus of attention in situations like that. I would expect that it not professional in nature to do something like that as a ref, but he has gotten a reputation from doing these things. What are your thoughts on that, and the ref?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Hockles posted:

Top, I don't know much of what is said in upper level leagues by refs when players are arguing, complaining, etc. However, there is a ref in my league that will start to argue back at the player and in some cases when the player starts to swear at the ref and insult the ref, the ref will dish it right back and almost egg on the player. It almost seems like the ref wants to be the focus of attention in situations like that. I would expect that it not professional in nature to do something like that as a ref, but he has gotten a reputation from doing these things. What are your thoughts on that, and the ref?

A ref in my league did that a few weeks ago, kept egging on our player and suspended him for 3 games when he yelled back at him.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reminder that pro teams are going to be having their equipment sales soon. These are really really worth going to.

The Barons one is next Sunday, I'll be going. If any one wants me to look for anything specific post or send me a PM.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Hockles posted:

IMHO, officials who don't know how to establish presence and authority in more productive ways try to do it this way and it's kind of embarrassing. There are definitely times when I would like to say some really smartass and spiteful things to players but typically I hold my tongue and ignore it. How are you supposed to earn respect that way?

For the record, I will talk hella trash as a player. But I feel like I have to kind of don a different mentality when I go onto the ice representing USA Hockey like that. Keep a sense of humor for sure - if I know a player I'll joke around with them when I'm reffing - but why try to bait and trap people just to show that I can throw them in the box? Everybody knows a ref can do that already...

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 10, 2012

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Topoisomerase posted:

Everybody knows a ref can do that already...

One of my favorite dialogues consisted of the player giving poo poo to the ref as he casually ignored it all. Finally as the puck is about to be dropped the ref says "You forget that I'm the ref, so whatever I say goes." Puck drops and the game continues. Entertaining as all hell to hear it right when the draw occurs. Cool that the ref just took it in stride and played right back at the mouthy player.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

Reminder that pro teams are going to be having their equipment sales soon. These are really really worth going to.

The Barons one is next Sunday, I'll be going. If any one wants me to look for anything specific post or send me a PM.

Is there a trick to finding out when and where these things are?

There's three AHL teams within a few hours of me, plus the Blackhawks. So it seems like the chances of being able to get sweet gear would be high.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

On days I'm dragging, I chow down on almonds like they're going out of style. The calories really add up, but they get me bouncing in my chair if I eat enough of them (something like 1-2 cups of them over a 3 hour period).

I do it both before hockey and before gym workouts, and it's the best solution I've found that doesn't involve exotic concoctions.

Never thought of that.. I will try it out

So this guy on my ice team was going to quit roller and decided to go out in style :)

http://beerleaguehockeystories.com/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

By being a massive shitheel? Why would you want him on your team, again?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 weeks in a row, those :argh: REFS :argh: failed to count 2 shots of mine that hit the inside crossbar and came out.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just remember: Beer league players == Beer league refs. They're going to miss poo poo, be lazy, and generally be bad at it. Just like every other person on the ice. Jawing at the refs will do absolutely nothing to change any of these facts, aside from potentially getting you an unsportsmanlike. :dealwithit:

--

Two games in a row last night after taking a month off to rest the knee. I am dragging rear end today.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a guy I've been playing with, who for the entire year I've known him, never wore a helmet with a cage or shield. This time he showed up with a shield on so of course I had to ask what up.. said he took a stick in the nose and broke it. Said he's broken his nose at least once a year for the past three in similar incidents.

This raises two questions: what the gently caress is wrong with beer leaguers that they can't keep their stick down, and why the gently caress would you skate with these clownshoes and not wear at least a shield?

Said he'll take the visor off as soon as his nose heals. :eng99:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've got a game tonight but I just rode a century (100 mile) bike ride yesterday in 80-90º heat and just not sure my legs are really going to have the energy.

Most NHL shifts are about 45 seconds to a minute long, I think it will take me that long just to get to and from the bench.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

There's a guy I've been playing with, who for the entire year I've known him, never wore a helmet with a cage or shield. This time he showed up with a shield on so of course I had to ask what up.. said he took a stick in the nose and broke it. Said he's broken his nose at least once a year for the past three in similar incidents.

This raises two questions: what the gently caress is wrong with beer leaguers that they can't keep their stick down, and why the gently caress would you skate with these clownshoes and not wear at least a shield?

Said he'll take the visor off as soon as his nose heals. :eng99:

All it took was one high stick to the mask to scare me into never wearing a visor, ever. Is there a rule against masks in the NHL, or is it all just MASCULINITY issues? I mean, this is a game where people weren't even wearing helmets not too long ago, so I can totally see that. I guess NHL players can also afford a new set of teeth when they retire.

Also, as a lower-than-clownshoe skill player, I don't take kindly to being called a clownshoe. :mad: :v:

Also, took a slapper in the rear end a few days ago. Big loving bruise. Feels good man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NHL actually does have rules against using metal cages, they need doctor or NHL authorization.

But I think it's just an excuse, even if they were allowed players would be idiots and not use them. Beer leaguers who don't have world class insurance that don't use cages are even bigger idiots.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

At the NHL level, cages actually can/do affect your vision significantly. It's understandable why no one uses them.

Visors? Not so much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

At the NHL level, cages actually can/do affect your vision significantly. It's understandable why no one uses them.
Sounds like a great way for the NHL to put more scoring in the game, mandate cage use. :science:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a great way for the NHL to put more scoring in the game, mandate cage use. :science:

"The crease will be eliminated, and goaltender interference is now legal. In fact, goalies must now face 180 degrees away from the puck at all times. Why? MORE GOALS." -Gary Bettman, in his nightly utopian dreams

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Just remember: Beer league players == Beer league refs. They're going to miss poo poo, be lazy, and generally be bad at it. Just like every other person on the ice. Jawing at the refs will do absolutely nothing to change any of these facts, aside from potentially getting you an unsportsmanlike. :dealwithit:

I dunno, our beer league refs have reffed ECHL leagues, gotten awards at that level, and work with the NHL as in arena video officials. Another was a college level goaltender. That's not always true and you cannot always assume that the level of the official matches the level of the play.

Jawing at the officials won't help but in the right context bringing something up can help you with explanation or help them understand your position. I know that once after a game I brought up to an official that I thought it was pretty terrible to assign an additional penalty to us after we called timeout and the timeout clock was running. That made it look like the timeout just gave them extra time to further punish us when we called the timeout early to save everyone the energy and time of skating down to the faceoff dot just to call timeout and skate back. If we hadn't called timeout they wouldn't have held up the game another minute to talk about it further (the game was behind already) and we would have been better able to talk about our plan and personnel on the ice.

He tried telling me that it didn't matter and the timeout gave us our rest which is what we needed, and the situation wouldn't have changed personnel or strategy wise if we had 4 guys on the ice or 3. I told him that at bronze it does matter as half of my team are a bunch of idiots. While we disagreed I can tell you that this official will now make it a point to explain his reasoning and be approachable about complicated calls. It really helped with mutual respect being able to express disagreement while being understanding and calm.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

xzzy posted:

NHL actually does have rules against using metal cages, they need doctor or NHL authorization.

But I think it's just an excuse, even if they were allowed players would be idiots and not use them. Beer leaguers who don't have world class insurance that don't use cages are even bigger idiots.

I don't think it is an excuse. NFL does the same thing when it comes to visors. You need to have eye problems or some poo poo in order for the NFL to let you go all Darth Vader. As far as the NHL/NFL is concerned: they want people (fans) to be able to see who you are. Darth Vader visors and cages make it tougher to see the player's face.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ban playoff beards.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ban playoff beards.

I sincerely hope this is a reference to the recent proposal to do just this.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So I guess I really have to start playing in the beginners league, dropped money on elbow pads, pants, shin guards, gloves. Just need shoulder pads, helmet, jock/garter. I think.

Sales were kind of... crappy and I guess I missed the big chances for the big deals but couldn't drop the money sooner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shoulder pads are technically optional, unless your rink are assholes about rules. I stopped wearing my shoulders about a month ago, it's just too drat hot with them on. Feels good to step on to the ice, run a lazy lap, and get air conditioned at the same time. :smug:

Jock and helmet are required gear though. I took a wrister to the nuts in my very first scrimmage.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I would never go on the ice for hockey without a cup. That's just asking for trouble.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Doctor Butts posted:

So I guess I really have to start playing in the beginners league, dropped money on elbow pads, pants, shin guards, gloves. Just need shoulder pads, helmet, jock/garter. I think.

Sales were kind of... crappy and I guess I missed the big chances for the big deals but couldn't drop the money sooner.

You should check with your league to see what they require for face protection. It's probably going to be worth it to just buy that with your helmet.

shyguy posted:

I would never go on the ice for hockey without a cup. That's just asking for trouble.

It's seriously the dumbest thing a player can do.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

I sincerely hope this is a reference to the recent proposal to do just this.

What? Like, the NHL wants to get rid of the playoff beard? That's just WRONG.

Also, missed my game tonight due to a fuckin' case of pneumonia. The fever-induced hallucinations are about the only thing good about it. My biggest hope at this point is that I'll be well enough to play next week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What? Like, the NHL wants to get rid of the playoff beard? That's just WRONG.

No, some ignorant EPSN blogger does. Because fans won't recognize the stars anymore when they shave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

No, some ignorant EPSN blogger does. Because fans won't recognize the stars anymore when they shave.

Yeah, and he's dead serious about it. ESPN goes out of their way to deride hockey, but Christ in heaven.