Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

iceaim posted:

Do you guys think there would be interest in a indie developed old school game in the same tradition of Doom or Duke where the first episode was released free, and then rest could be bought on gog / steam / iOS for say 5.99 so the project could at least break even?

I really want to get into game development, and I'd love to hire a team to make something like this. The reason I choose to go the professional route is so this can be developed rather quickly instead of done during someone's spare time as a hobby. Despite this, I intend on putting a lot of creative love into something like this.

I have plenty of project management experience as well as software and website development experience. There would be no kickstarter, I can self fund something like this myself. So it's all about finding time to start this, which I hope to have in maybe 2 to 3 months.

Although I intend on using my existing coders (though I always make exceptions for exceptional coders), I would be interested in hiring map designers and artists who are established in the Doom and Duke community.

I intend on making this project totally open source too.

If , for example, you used the Build engine, wouldn't you have to pay the Build engine's owner royalties for using it in a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If , for example, you used the Build engine, wouldn't you have to pay the Build engine's owner royalties for using it in a game?

Depends on the engine license. Build specifically is free for noncommercial use, so for commercial use he'd have to negotiate something with the owner (which might involve royalties, but that's not a given). On the other hand, the Id engines (Doom and Quake 1-3) are GPL'd, as is the Marathon/A1 engine, so he could use those freely as long as he stayed GPL compliant.

Of course, he hasn't said what engine he's going to use to begin with.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

I am leaning towards the Doom engine, though Duke is pretty tempting too. The Doom engine is going to be slightly less complicated from a licensing standpoint, but I don't imagine Build being a huge nightmare to negotiate either.

If I move forward with using the Doom engine, we'd be using all the bells and whistles of Zdoom rather than shunning them.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 9, 2012

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
it's worth noting that if you use Build you're looking at an insane mess of half assembly half C shitfuck that will make your head spin. or god forbid you use Ken Silverman's shader based engine.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Colon Semicolon posted:

it's worth noting that if you use Build you're looking at an insane mess of half assembly half C shitfuck that will make your head spin. or god forbid you use Ken Silverman's shader based engine.

Well I am pretty sure we would only have to worry about the Polymer renderer code. I need to check with my lawyer on this, but I am pretty sure the Build license won't apply to our work as long as we only use the code covered under GPL only.

The thing is that we want our game to run really nicely even under Intel HD integrated graphics, and Polymer will choke on something like that. I'd need to hire an expert to optimize this. Plagman would be ideal if he is available.

Honestly though, that type of problem is not ideal to have with your first indie game.

The Doom engine is great and can also make some beautiful levels with the engine updates that purists refuse to use.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, Polymer is ambitious and grossly inefficient. If your goal is to get this game to run on pretty much anything, Polymer / Polymost will destroy any hopes of achieving it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That is similar to the business model Binding of Issac and Dungeons of Dredmor use and both have been very successful. Free demo + cheap game + cheap expansions is definitely a good way to go.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'd love to see how your project goes. An indie old-school FPS using an old engine appeals to me (same as WGRealms 2 Siege Breaker). If you get to start it make a thread and post it in here!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, perhaps it slipped under the radar, but Brutal Doom v16 is out now.

I highly recommend the Brutalized Doom WAD to go with it. It's the original Doom 1/2 episodes, expanded. New rooms, lots more enemies, more guns, ammo, traps and all that. Familiar for the most part, but with quite a few new surprises. Toughened up to bring it up to 'modern' standards of difficulty, for the most part.

Edit: The GZDoom version STILL has that annoying torch sound bug.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 9, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

Depends on the engine license. Build specifically is free for noncommercial use, so for commercial use he'd have to negotiate something with the owner (which might involve royalties, but that's not a given). On the other hand, the Id engines (Doom and Quake 1-3) are GPL'd, as is the Marathon/A1 engine, so he could use those freely as long as he stayed GPL compliant.

Having made a TC for Marathon/Aleph One, I have one bit of advice:

Do not do anything with Aleph One.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'm still pretty let down that Brutal Doom never did put its max health value back to 200.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

iceaim posted:

Well I am pretty sure we would only have to worry about the Polymer renderer code. I need to check with my lawyer on this, but I am pretty sure the Build license won't apply to our work as long as we only use the code covered under GPL only.

The thing is that we want our game to run really nicely even under Intel HD integrated graphics, and Polymer will choke on something like that. I'd need to hire an expert to optimize this. Plagman would be ideal if he is available.

This is not a goal compatible with using Polymer.

quote:

The Doom engine is great and can also make some beautiful levels with the engine updates that purists refuse to use.

Given your design goals I'd say yeah, use (gz)Doom. It's relatively clean, it's seen a lot of polishing, it'll run buttery smooth on drat near anything, and you can still get a really nice, stylized look out of it. If you need something a bit more capable you could do the same thing the Retroblazer guys did and adapt one of the Quake engines, and RB shows that there is still a market for fast-paced FPSes with 2.5D aesthetics (and that those aesthetics can be updated for the modern era with detailed sprite, texture and lighting work).

I'd play it; it's biggest problem, I think, is going to be getting people to see it as a game in its own right and not as just another Doom TC, but one that they have to pay for.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sergeant_Mark_IV posted:

At the 0.16 development, I have planned to replace some gib sprites to be made of real pictures of actual dead people.

I think this guy needs a holiday.

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Dominic White posted:

Brutalized Doom
Thanks for posting about the update. I mean, how dare you post this tasteless gameplay-ruining garbage. I'm not sure what I mean.

Like the changes/voices, good poo poo Chinese Tony Danza. What's this in the changelog about adding Juggernaut and nerfing Belphegor?? Do these show up in the Brutalized maps?

The Brutalized maps seem pretty cool so far. The lighting effect in the E1M2 dark maze bit was nice . Do you have a link to the hi-res textures you're supposed to be using? I generally don't like hi-res but since there's some built in anyway it'd be nice if they at least didn't clash. (EDIT: Built into Brutal Doom now? really? ugh) Speaking of clash, I'm not crazy about the realistic gibs. The eye reminds me of ROTT though which is nice.

ExMortis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 10, 2012

iceaim
May 20, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

I'd play it; it's biggest problem, I think, is going to be getting people to see it as a game in its own right and not as just another Doom TC, but one that they have to pay for.

Indeed. Which is why I am hoping a low enough price point + shareware style demo will be able to attract some of these people. I mean it seemed to have worked with The Binding of Issac and that was essentially a flash game.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

There appears to be some kind of bug in the new Brutal Doom: taking an enemy hostage gets you infinite ammo thanks to the way the rifles/shotguns work. Since they don't deduct ammo until you reload and you can't ever reload while taking a hostage, wha-bam :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Convex posted:

I think this guy needs a holiday.

There was a big argument over it on the ZDoom Project forums. It's certainly strange that the resources are directly pulled from actual photos, but it wouldn't be the first time a game did it (Doom 3 and Dead Space come to mind.) Wildweasel and I kept arguing that the biggest issue was how badly the new resources clashed with the older, hand-drawn ones. Of course, nobody grasped this argument, and insisted that people just couldn't handle the bleeding edge concept of tracing over pictures of dead people.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think this is the first Brutal Doom version that I don't like for various reasons:

-Monster sounds are really weird now. They feel like they don't belong to this game at all.

-Aiming down the sights with the shotgun. Wasn't needed but when you use it is slow, buggy (sometimes just sticks to it and refuses to let you hipfire).

-Gore is way too much (not because of the violence but because its too much and you waste ammo trying to shoot something behind the body). I didn't bother with the "improved" gore.

Seems that I'll just stick to 0.15 because this version is not only putting Danny Glover's voice back in :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

This is not a goal compatible with using Polymer.

Polymer wouldn't even run properly on my 4 GHz quad core with an NVidia GTX 460. It's really a mess right now, and there's only one dude working on it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

I think this is the first Brutal Doom version that I don't like for various reasons:

-Monster sounds are really weird now. They feel like they don't belong to this game at all.

Also the new Zombie sounds in particular are incredibly loving loud. Their chatter drowns out everything else. It's ridiculous.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Also the new Zombie sounds in particular are incredibly loving loud. Their chatter drowns out everything else. It's ridiculous.

If we're talking about Brutal Doom peeves, my biggest one is the new sound for firing both barrels on the Super Shotgun (it's the sound for the AWP from Counter-Strike.) It's a sharp, loud snap that doesn't sound at all appropriate for a shotgun. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That is similar to the business model Binding of Issac and Dungeons of Dredmor use and both have been very successful. Free demo + cheap game + cheap expansions is definitely a good way to go.

Yeah uh, that's basically just plain old shareware, not a new business model.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

It's also not really what DoD or Isaac are doing, which is (as he says) "demo + cheap base game + cheap expansions" - shareware is (at least in games) traditionally "episodic game + first episode is free" (and, at least if it's Apogee making it, is anything but cheap).

Which is actually the business model described for his game, it's just not the same one that (say) DoD uses.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicFrog posted:

It's also not really what DoD or Isaac are doing, which is (as he says) "demo + cheap base game + cheap expansions" - shareware is (at least in games) traditionally "episodic game + first episode is free" (and, at least if it's Apogee making it, is anything but cheap).

No, that's a completely standard shareware model. It kinda sounds like you forgot how shareware worked back at its peak.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
I can't speak for the recent Brutal Doom updates, but Brutal Doom Lite + Russian Overkill are a perfect synergy.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Install Gentoo posted:

Didn't mean to imply it was new, but those are examples of current games that work the same way.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Anybody know where I could find older versions of Brutal Doom? I used to scalp them off of the skulltag rave.fm file host, but ever since somebody decided to rename Skulltag to "Rendordodrum" or whatever dumbass name it now has, I can't find the host.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

There was a big argument over it on the ZDoom Project forums. It's certainly strange that the resources are directly pulled from actual photos, but it wouldn't be the first time a game did it (Doom 3 and Dead Space come to mind.) Wildweasel and I kept arguing that the biggest issue was how badly the new resources clashed with the older, hand-drawn ones. Of course, nobody grasped this argument, and insisted that people just couldn't handle the bleeding edge concept of tracing over pictures of dead people.
Honestly, that whole thing made me really uncomfortable. I didn't want to become known as the guy who did voice acting for that project with the chopped up bits of dead people in it. No matter how you try and justify it, it's pretty tasteless, and as has been pointed out, they don't even match graphically.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

No, that's a completely standard shareware model. It kinda sounds like you forgot how shareware worked back at its peak.

This is entirely possible, as my main exposure to shareware back in the day was the Apogee and Id games (both following a "3-episode game, episode 1 is free, 2 & 3 are pay" model). What games are you thinking of?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

iceaim posted:

I am leaning towards the Doom engine, though Duke is pretty tempting too. The Doom engine is going to be slightly less complicated from a licensing standpoint, but I don't imagine Build being a huge nightmare to negotiate either.

If I move forward with using the Doom engine, we'd be using all the bells and whistles of Zdoom rather than shunning them.

Alternatively, you could use one of the open source / free to dev commercial pre-made engines like Unity, which already has a pretty decent workflow for it. I've also heard ok things about Panda3D, which is super-easy/fast to develop for because it's all in python (though obviously there's limitations due to this).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicFrog posted:

This is entirely possible, as my main exposure to shareware back in the day was the Apogee and Id games (both following a "3-episode game, episode 1 is free, 2 & 3 are pay" model). What games are you thinking of?

None of them were any good that i remember. There were tons of shitball noname companies putting them out on BBSes and such back in the day though.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Dominic White posted:

So, perhaps it slipped under the radar, but Brutal Doom v16 is out now.

I highly recommend the Brutalized Doom WAD to go with it. It's the original Doom 1/2 episodes, expanded. New rooms, lots more enemies, more guns, ammo, traps and all that. Familiar for the most part, but with quite a few new surprises. Toughened up to bring it up to 'modern' standards of difficulty, for the most part.

Edit: The GZDoom version STILL has that annoying torch sound bug.

I love Brutal Doom but I had to kind of :stare: at this:

Brutal Doom Dev posted:

Real Gore:
At the 0.16 development, I have planned to replace some gib sprites to be made of real pictures of actual dead people. This caused a lot of controversy, and many people stated that it is "crossing the line" even for a violence mod.

Plus some people said that the high resolution sprites of pieces of smashed brains doesn't looks good with doom's pixelated sprites. Also, I noticed that it can cause some lag if these sprites are spawned in high volumedue the resolution of the sprites. So, I decided to make it a separated module.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bd9qqsw63cs97tr

Uh... right, buddy. That's just a little... right. No.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
What the gently caress? :stonk:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
After seeing v0.16's weird and unecessary sound changes, along with SgtMarkIV's classy as hell gore mod, I think he needs to take a break. He's becoming less "genuinely good modder" and more "mediocre modder that got lucky".

The new Doomguys voices are cool tho.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 10, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

While the gore density is becoming a bit much, the new "voice acting" and bloop tube make up for the minor faults. Now that the lovely gore sprites are a separate module, I'm completely okay with this release.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

While the gore density is becoming a bit much, the new "voice acting" and bloop tube make up for the minor faults. Now that the lovely gore sprites are a separate module, I'm completely okay with this release.

If by "Bloop Tube" you're referring to the grenade launcher, do you feel like the sprite could use some touching up? It feels really blurry to me.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Wait, there's a grenade launcher now? Where the hell is it?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

How is that shareware? Shareware simply meant that instead of selling the games retail, you had a free, limited version which was supposed to be freely distributed among people and which had contact info so you could obtain/ unlock the unlimited version. It has pretty much no place in the internet world.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I dunno it seems like the internet's the perfect place for shareware. It relies on being distributed among people, and how easy is it to distribute stuff nowadays thanks to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Thompsons posted:

Wait, there's a grenade launcher now? Where the hell is it?

It appears as a random drop from dead Mancubuses in wads that don't normally spawn it, but the chance for it is really low. With a larger blast radius than the rocket launcher, it makes rooms full of low-health monsters very entertaining.

So far I'm enjoying the new release, but I won't touch the new gib sprites no matter how high-resolution they turn out to be. So far I'm still a fan of the new doomguy and zombie sounds; they're more-or-less the same voices used by the old Doom 3 Alpha.