Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I haven't seen Ep2 in a couple years, but don't they say a million more units well on the way, not a million more troops? They don't specify how many a unit is. It could be an individual trooper, or a squad, or a platoon.
(:goonsay:)

Yeah, this is right. I also believe that some sourcebook that came out around the time of AOTC also implied the unit =/= trooper idea. Plus there's a lot of anecdotal stuff that Lucasfilm put out around the time of AOTC which would imply more than 3 million clones, like the Republic ordering enough troop ships to carry several billion troopers.

However, more than the 3 million number itself is the way in which she handled it. Even before Travis was hired by Lucasfilm, the 3 million clones thing came up in Stover's Shatterpoint. When fans asked him about it, he said something to the effect of, "It's dumb but it comes from Lucasfilm so there's nothing I can do about it." And fans were fine with it.

Traviss however did stuff like make "Noble Three Million" the official clone trooper marching song and compared anti-3 million fans to Nazis and the Taliban and talked about how she had fantasies of garotting them. I think the 3 million issue is so associated with her not because she's the only one to do it but because her rear end in a top hat personality exacerbated the issue so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Traviss aside, 3 million clone troopers makes far more sense in the context of the Sith's grand strategy, there's no loving way one planet of cloners made THAT many clones mass-production or not, and the Star Wars universe has never been about big raw numbers--there's never been any sizable fleet/military action over/on any planet in the entirety of the OT that would imply those numbers were needed.

Quadrillions? Really? gently caress that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 10, 2012

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Not trying to turn this into PYF but does anyone have a unfinished or cut Star Warrs book they'd like to haven seen?

The Alien Exodus would've been an amazing trainwreck and the fallout from them being accepted as canon would've been amazing.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Exodus

quote:

The Alien Exodus storyline is divided into two parts. The main storyline followed a Human slave named Cosmo Hender, and his struggle to free his people from their Varlian overlords. The second storyline consisted of excerpts from The Human Exodus, a chronicle of the origins of the first Humans to find their way to the Star Wars galaxy.[1]

Main storyline

"An even longer time ago, in a galaxy far, far away …." ¯Robert J. Sawyer's opening lines for Chapter 1 of Alien Exodus[src]
The main story opens with Cosmo Hender, leader of the Human slaves on the Varlian planet Forhilnor. Forhilnor's slaves include Humans, Bith, Ithorians, Kubaz, Ortolans, Kitonaks, Twi'leks, Mon Calamari, and Sullustans. The Varlians—giant insectoids who rule a large star empire—have Rodian and Gamorrean henchmen to oversee the slaves. The slaves are being forced to build a massive stone temple, which by this point has reached a height of one thousand meters. A secret council, consisting of the leaders of each slave species, plots to somehow gain freedom, though their people have been enslaved for at least five generations. The slave council note that all their people are weary, even more than can be explained by the hard work and short rations.[1][2]

When Hender is temporarily taken from his regular job in the quarries, and from his pregnant mate Sallee, to serve in the palace of the Varlian governor, Kaxa, he learns several important things. Firstly, he discovers that the Varlians have advanced technology and machinery that could easily complete the stone temple without the use of slave labor. Secondly, he hears about a plague called the Changa Bloodrot that nearly wiped out the Varlians centuries ago (a disaster that they believed to be divine retribution for failing to enslave the primitive Wookiees.) Most importantly, after the governor's daughter Delba teaches him to read, he comes across a book called The Human Exodus, which tells of the origin of Humanity in the galaxy. The story of Humankind's escape from a previous group of oppressors inspires him.[1]

When he rejoins his people, Hender sets in motion a plan to free the slaves. Hender makes it appear that several slaves who died of overwork really died of Changa Bloodrot. Of all the species on Forhilnor, only the Rodians would be immune to this plague—a fact that inspires the Rodians to put their own plan in motion to find a sample of the Bloodrot and spread it amongst the Varlians. Meanwhile, Hender and three other slave leaders (Ridbrek the Mon Calamari, Ugerat the Kubaz, and Galarax the Bith) put their own plan into motion, and poison the water supply in the palace.[1]

Governor Kaxa realizes that a plague outbreak could ruin his plan to seize control of the Imperial throne. He orders that his plan be put into effect quickly. It turns out that the temple was merely a means to keep the slaves occupied, while a crystal in the palace drained their Force energy. Kaxa is using this energy to physically move the Forhilnor system towards the center of the Empire, where he plans to seize power using his slaves as a ready-made army. The movement of the planet causes earthquakes on Forhilnor. When Hender rescues another slave from the rubble, it turns out that Hender has somehow developed the ability to tap into the Force, giving him telekinetic powers. The other slaves nickname him "Skywalker" for his ability to levitate.[1]

Eventually, a disease appears to spread to the Varlians in the palace, causing the Varlian larvae to continue to grow without entering the pupal stage of their life cycle. Astute readers would recognize these giant Varlian larvae, who are petulant and selfish as only an overgrown child could be, as Hutts. The Varlians think this is a mutation of Changa Bloodrot. Believing the slaves to be infected, a panicked Governor Kaxa sends them on board a fleet of ships to leave the planet.[1]

The Rodians turn on their Varlian masters, and attack the palace with what they think is Changa Bloodrot serum. When the Rodian serum is ineffective, Kaxa discovers that he has been tricked, and that the slaves themselves were never infected. As well, Hender and the other slaves managed to steal the Force crystal from the palace. Kaxa sends a fleet of Gamorrean warships against the escaping slave fleet. However, the slaves escape by flying their ships into the Bloodstars, a nearby star cluster. In order to make a path for their escape, Hender uses the Force to move the Bloodstars aside. Though the strain of using the Force to move the Bloodstars mortally wounds Hender, the former slaves continue to their destination—the garden world of Corellia. On his deathbed, Hender names Ridbrek as his successor. The story closes with Sallee holding her infant son Freedom, promising to write down the tale of the Skywalker for future generations.[1]

Flashback storyline

"Another place, another time. A world called Earth, in its early 25th century, is moving toward a totalitarian, computer-controlled society." ¯Robert J. Sawyer,

The Human Exodus begins on Earth, in the 25th century. The three main characters—computer hacker Dale Hender, space pilot Antonia Corelli, and her lover Paxton Solo—are leaders of an underground movement resisting the computers who have taken control of Earth's society. Hender discovers that the computers intend to force-feed the people of Earth drugs to control their emotions. They also learn that the computers intend to strip away the identities and family ties of the Humans under their control by replacing their names with serial numbers (Hender is to become the first of the THX series, THX-0001).[1]

Powerless to stop the computers, the underground decides to secretly convert a comet-mining ship called the Oort Raider to a colony ship, carrying five thousand Humans on a multi-generational journey to Alpha Centauri. After a narrow escape from the computers' forces on Earth, the Oort Raider escapes the solar system. Their long journey is interrupted when they fall through a "cosmic whirlpool" leading to another solar system in another galaxy. To their great surprise, the wormhole is not only a bridge to another galaxy, but to another time, billions of years in the past.[1]

The Humans discover a habitable planet, and land. On this new world, they encounter another ship that had arrived in order to investigate the wormhole. This ship turns out to be a Rodian-crewed slave transport, carrying a cargo of Biths. The Rodians intend to enslave the Humans as well. When the Humans discover this, they try to free the Biths, only to be interrupted by a group of Gamorrean slavers, followed by a group of Varlians. The militarily superior Varlians take control of the situation, taking all of the Humans and Bith as slaves to Forhilnor, and hiring the Rodians and Gamorreans to oversee the slaves. As the slaves are taken away, Paxton Solo and Dale Hender look back on what could have been their new home. To honor Antonia Corelli, who was killed by the Rodians, they agree that the planet should be named Corellia. They also vow that one day Humanity will return to Corellia, and build a free society there.

I'm unsure if the Dark Horse:Invasion comcis would've been better then the NJO or not.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Horse_invasion_storyline

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

For cut/unfinished stories:

Well, it's hard to beat a full KOTOR II, and I also would have much preferred KOTOR III to The Old Republic. Similarly, I was really upset when the TOTJ-era novel Mandorla was canceled.

Other than that...I believe there were a few X-wing comics stories planned that were never made, including Baron Fel's return to the Empire and service with Thrawn. Would have liked to read those.

Nckdictator posted:

I'm unsure if the Dark Horse:Invasion comcis would've been better then the NJO or not.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Horse_invasion_storyline

I think the invaders being non-humanoid would have been interesting. But at the same time I don't really know how it could have been all that different to the general gist of the NJO, as claimed. I mean, a storyline about an extra-galactic invasion has to have at least some broad plot elements. I'm guessing the Nom Anor infiltration stuff would have been played up.

At the same time, I'm really not a huge fan of the current Invasion comic, though that's mainly due to the characterization issues with the author, who didn't work for Dark Horse before then, so it probably wouldn't have been an issue.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

arioch posted:

Traviss aside, 3 million clone troopers makes far more sense in the context of the Sith's grand strategy, there's no loving way one planet of cloners made THAT many clones mass-production or not, and the Star Wars universe has never been about big raw numbers--there's never been any sizable fleet/military action over/on any planet in the entirety of the OT that would imply those numbers were needed.

Quadrillions? Really? gently caress that.

What the hell are you talking about? Both the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War are portrayed as galaxy-spanning conflicts. There are millions of stars in a galaxy, and the Stars Wars galaxy is typically portrayed as having a high ratio of planets that are inhabited. The big wars of the 20th century (even the small ones) have involved hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of troops committed to a single front or conflict area. Multiply that over hundreds (or thousands) of planets that are being contested and even if you factor in future militaries being more efficient than the ones of today, it's clear that 3 million is woefully insufficient for the purpose of fighting a galactic war.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

SirPhoebos posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Both the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War are portrayed as galaxy-spanning conflicts. There are millions of stars in a galaxy, and the Stars Wars galaxy is typically portrayed as having a high ratio of planets that are inhabited. The big wars of the 20th century (even the small ones) have involved hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of troops committed to a single front or conflict area. Multiply that over hundreds (or thousands) of planets that are being contested and even if you factor in future militaries being more efficient than the ones of today, it's clear that 3 million is woefully insufficient for the purpose of fighting a galactic war.

You're forgetting that what is shown Star Wars is a very technologically advanced society. The more advanced the tech, the less you need warm bodies to do your dirty work. The clones were crucial in situations requiring more finesse, but for the most part the wars are fought via orbital bombardments and ships, then the planet would be blockaded from trade or outside influence until the population is under control.

Plus, really, it was the ARC's and the Commando's who did all the work. The normal clones were little more than security after a planet had been bombed to hell and back.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 10, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

EDIT: Fark. Quoted myself by accident.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 10, 2012

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Esroc posted:

You're forgetting that what is shown Star Wars is a very technologically advanced society. The more advanced the tech, the less you need warm bodies to do your dirty work. The clones were crucial in situations requiring more finesse, but for the most part the wars are fought via orbital bombardments and ships, then the planet would be blockaded from trade or outside influence until the population is under control.

Plus, really, it was the ARC's and the Commando's who did all the work. The normal clones were little more than security after a planet had been bombed to hell and back.

Well, let's look into that. There were something like ten thousand Separatist planets, yes? Three million clones doing security means that as each world falls, it gets a security force of three hundred clones.

Three hundred guys with blaster rifles. Holding an entire planet. So if one of those worlds has the same population as Earth, that's a little over twenty-three million people that each clone has to "secure." Picture one dude with a rifle "holding" the entire state of Texas, and you get the picture.

And that's with NOBODY left doing any actual fighting. Or manning all those capital ships doing the orbital bombardments. Or piloting fighters to defend those capital ships. Or sticking around to do any blockading. If any of those jobs have to be done, the planetside "security" job gets even more hopeless.

Sorry, the numbers just don't work out at all with only three million troops. Even three million per separatist world is really pushing it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Esroc posted:

The "finesse" we saw playing out in the movies was "a bunch of Clone Troopers ran towards a bunch of battle droids". I haven't followed the Clone Wars cartoon that closely, but from the movies I got the impression that both sides fought the war by hurling the bodies of their dead soldiers at each other, and for that kind of warfare 3 million soldiers really seems rather low.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So how many jack asses who 'wrote' for SWOTOR end up writing for Mass Effect 3? I've come to ask you goons who despise Bioware because the renegade conclusion of one of the big story arcs felt like something torn out of Legacy with Mass Effect stuff filled into the blanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Other than that...I believe there were a few X-wing comics stories planned that were never made, including Baron Fel's return to the Empire and service with Thrawn. Would have liked to read those.

As I understand it, Zahn and Stackpole co-wrote a conclusive story arc for the whole X-Wing comic book series some years ago and it would have covered points like that. Apparently their scripts have been completed for more than a decade, but since there doesn't seem to be much interest on the part of the publishers they've just been sitting around unused.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

As I understand it, Zahn and Stackpole co-wrote a conclusive story arc for the whole X-Wing comic book series some years ago and it would have covered points like that. Apparently their scripts have been completed for more than a decade, but since there doesn't seem to be much interest on the part of the publishers they've just been sitting around unused.
Put me down for that, that's what I want to see.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Yeah the Episode 2 "three million clones" thing or wherever it came from is really dumb and the same basic problem the Harry Potter universe has regarding numbers of wizards.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Are you motherfucking kidding me???

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

The backbone of the Imperial Fleet is the Imperial Star Destroyer, which carries 50000 total (crew and combat), and we've been quoted a number of 25000 to cover the entire galaxy, so in general there's probably not more than a couple of them per sector.

These things are big and bad enough to lay siege to and blockade entire planets each. They can individually slag entire unshielded planets.

How many soldiers do they carry? ~10000 troops. Per.

6 lousy squadrons of TIE Fighters. That's 72 flight officers, plus or minus another couple dozen.

Yes, the GCW was a galaxy-spanning conflict, but you're trying to extrapolate from a WW1/WW2-style war. That's never been the case for anything shown in the OT.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Star Wars EU: You are not allowed to actually have fun nerds.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

They won't even give the go ahead to print up the other two books of Zahn's trilogy in Anniversary Editions even though it would most likely just be like printing money instead.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

So how many jack asses who 'wrote' for SWOTOR end up writing for Mass Effect 3? I've come to ask you goons who despise Bioware because the renegade conclusion of one of the big story arcs felt like something torn out of Legacy with Mass Effect stuff filled into the blanks.

Pretty sure they had the same writers (as opposed to Dragon Age, which was a different writing team). I know Karpyshyn at least was one of the main writers for both TOR and Mass Effect. Also, I know the TOR art team cut and pasted ship designs from Legacy early on, and only came up with 'original' ship designs (ie, basically just copied from the OT) later on.

Why, what was the ending in question?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that's what I've heard. It has a short page on Wookieepedia.

Speaking of stories that never quite managed to get published, this may not strictly qualify, but one thing I've always been kind of interested in is what direction Star Wars: Republic might have gone if Quinlan Vos and his supporting cast hadn't basically taken over as the main characters after the Clone Wars stories began. Don't get me wrong, those are great comics, but I would have liked to see more of Ki-Adi-Munid as the main protagonist.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 10, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Pretty sure they had the same writers (as opposed to Dragon Age, which was a different writing team). I know Karpyshyn at least was one of the main writers for both TOR and Mass Effect. Also, I know the TOR art team cut and pasted ship designs from Legacy early on, and only came up with 'original' ship designs (ie, basically just copied from the OT) later on.

Why, what was the ending in question?

It was the really dumb endings to the huge story arc between the Geth and Quarrians which boiled down to an equally dumb binary choice of killing off either. I could pull a better ending out of my rear end.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was the really dumb endings to the huge story arc between the Geth and Quarrians which boiled down to an equally dumb binary choice of killing off either. I could pull a better ending out of my rear end.

You know there was a third option right? Like there always is if you have enough Paragon/Renegade.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

You know there was a third option right? Like there always is if you have enough Paragon/Renegade.

I was almost maxed out on Paragon too. Like eighty five loving percent. Link me a post spoilering this option for me in the ME3 spoilers thread.

So how about them Star Wars? Still uh...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was almost maxed out on Paragon too. Like eighty five loving percent. Link me a post spoilering this option for me in the ME3 spoilers thread.

So how about them Star Wars? Still uh...

Just watch this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oES7oUpoNhc. The description claims that there's a hidden statistic that determines whether it can work out, no idea if that's real.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Just watch this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oES7oUpoNhc. The description claims that there's a hidden statistic that determines whether it can work out, no idea if that's real.

From what I remember to get that ending you have to have made the correct choices in ME2 in regards to this questline.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

From what I remember to get that ending you have to have made the correct choices in ME2 in regards to this questline.

Basically, I was space Jesus but because I was dumb and picked Legion to do something at the end of ME2 and got him killed I messed up.

I wonder how that SWG emulator is doing?

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

arioch posted:

The backbone of the Imperial Fleet is the Imperial Star Destroyer, which carries 50000 total (crew and combat), and we've been quoted a number of 25000 to cover the entire galaxy, so in general there's probably not more than a couple of them per sector.

These things are big and bad enough to lay siege to and blockade entire planets each. They can individually slag entire unshielded planets.

How many soldiers do they carry? ~10000 troops. Per.

6 lousy squadrons of TIE Fighters. That's 72 flight officers, plus or minus another couple dozen.

Yes, the GCW was a galaxy-spanning conflict, but you're trying to extrapolate from a WW1/WW2-style war. That's never been the case for anything shown in the OT.

Let's take those numbers for a second. 50,000 crew per ISD and 25,000 ISDs means a total crew of 1,250,000,000. That's 1.25 billion people or 416.67 times the supposed amount of clones (3 mil).

And that doesn't take into account planetary security forces, the many people in VSDs, Carrack Cruisers, SSDs, the Death Stars, etc etc etc.

3 million is a stupid number, and interestingly, you've just proven that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TheCommodore07 posted:

Let's take those numbers for a second. 50,000 crew per ISD and 25,000 ISDs means a total crew of 1,250,000,000. That's 1.25 billion people or 416.67 times the supposed amount of clones (3 mil).

And that doesn't take into account planetary security forces, the many people in VSDs, Carrack Cruisers, SSDs, the Death Stars, etc etc etc.

Disregarding the fact that I just said "crew", good thing this is ~25 years after the start of a galaxy-wide military build-up and not, you know, at the very beginning or something. Given that the Clone Wars was like 3 years (eh? not sure on the timeframe) you'd have to be deep in the kool-aid to think it was all that all-encompassing rather than something thrown together for war theater.

And the GCW took, in the EU, at least 20 years to wrap up, even though the numbers of the forces in conflict was never all that high at any given time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 12, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Basically it boils down to Lucas having the imagination of dried toast, like always.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

TheCommodore07 posted:

You're assuming that the republics armed forces consisted entirely of clones. Which is something Lucas is probably dumb enough to say, but if he never said such a stupid stupid thing then I think we can assume there were normal people taking up arms for the republic as well.

I mean the whole war was stupid as hell anyway. What's the point of two proxy armies fighting each other? They might as well just have a football game to settle it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean the whole war was stupid as hell anyway. What's the point of two proxy armies fighting each other? They might as well just have a football game to settle it.

It'd end with the battle droids slamming all into each other like the keystone cops and scoring a goal into their own net whilst the clone players all turn and shoot their Jedi manager to death because of the secret code stored in their genetics or whatever.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Epi Lepi posted:

Keep in mind, the same person—Sidious—was behind both sides, and had the ultimate goal of control of the galaxy. It's natural that he'd want to have the most effective army possible, so he used the war to determine whether one of primarily droids or one of primarily clones worked better.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Epi Lepi posted:

To convince people of the need for strong leadership, and to weaken any rivals.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fact that Palpatine controlled both armies, each of which would have been able to conquer the galaxy by itself, kind of renders both points moot.

I guess the only answer I have ever learned to accept is "because Palpatine likes to be a dick".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yes, hence "war theater", not "theater of war".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Grendels Dad posted:

The fact that Palpatine controlled both armies, each of which would have been able to conquer the galaxy by itself, kind of renders both points moot.

I guess the only answer I have ever learned to accept is "because Palpatine likes to be a dick".

I always figured the point was so that he could be voted into life ruler or whatever, because "A vote for democracy is a vote for GREVIOUS" or something like that.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I always figured the point was so that he could be voted into life ruler or whatever, because "A vote for democracy is a vote for GREVIOUS" or something like that.

I like to pretend that Palpatine came to power because the Galaxy at large wasn't entirely stupid and assumed a force user was behind most everything and just decided "gently caress it."

I mean, seriously. If I lived in a Galaxy that had super-powered monks warring over it every other generation or so I'd finally just have to go: "I'm out. Call me when the Jedi kill your rear end again."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Esroc posted:

I like to pretend that Palpatine came to power because the Galaxy at large wasn't entirely stupid and assumed a force user was behind most everything and just decided "gently caress it."

I mean, seriously. If I lived in a Galaxy that had super-powered monks warring over it every other generation or so I'd finally just have to go: "I'm out. Call me when the Jedi kill your rear end again."

*votes in the most dangerous force user*

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Epi Lepi posted:

You're assuming that the republics armed forces consisted entirely of clones. Which is something Lucas is probably dumb enough to say, but if he never said such a stupid stupid thing then I think we can assume there were normal people taking up arms for the republic as well.

How are you calling Lucas stupid while simultaneously mixing up audience knowledge with character knowledge?

From the Republic perspective, a group of manufacturers were making robots and taking over systems with brute force. Would you conscript your children and send them off to literally be ground up by a machine?

What if someone offered the low hanging fruit of sending a clone instead of your own citizens at the very last second? Every Senator in Congress would say- yeah, send the lab rats instead of constituents sons and daughters in a heart beat, just like they all voted in the Patriot Act without reading it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

TheBigBad posted:

How are you calling Lucas stupid while simultaneously mixing up audience knowledge with character knowledge?

From the Republic perspective, a group of manufacturers were making robots and taking over systems with brute force. Would you conscript your children and send them off to literally be ground up by a machine?

What if someone offered the low hanging fruit of sending a clone instead of your own citizens at the very last second? Every Senator in Congress would say- yeah, send the lab rats instead of constituents sons and daughters in a heart beat, just like they all voted in the Patriot Act without reading it.

It's not mixing up audience and character knowledge, they're literally 2 proxy armies. The separatists are using droids instead of their citizens and the Republic is using clones instead of theirs. I feel like there's no real stakes there.

I think it's stupid because at the end of the day if you make your rockem sockem robot kick my rockem sockem robots rear end then nothing really changes. I can decide that our rockem robot match didn't matter and sucker punch you. Just like the Republic could wait for the relatively small amount of clones to be ground up and then either start sending in real people or sit around and go "well we've got hundreds of billions of people who could probably be raised into an army, but nah, the clones didn't work, I give up."

It makes more sense to me to send everything you've got available, and there will always be volunteers so it's not like the Republic would have had to draft it's citizens. Not that Star Wars ever really made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The in universe choice was can we fight an army of machines with police wizards.. or... okay okay I hear it.