Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

gmq posted:

I have been having a great time playing SAS3: Zombie Assault with a friend while using Skype to talk.

Any recommendations for other free multiplayer (via internet) games?

ugh, just downloaded this today because of your post. I haven't been able to put it down at work all day. F this program I'm working on... I'VE GOT ZOMBIES TO KILL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Is there a consensus on the best Android-compatible gamepad? I've been tricking my phone out with some sweet emulators, but my lovely plastic screen makes them a nightmare to control.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

moms pubis posted:

Is there a consensus on the best Android-compatible gamepad? I've been tricking my phone out with some sweet emulators, but my lovely plastic screen makes them a nightmare to control.

PS3 controller?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Tinyn posted:

PS3 controller?
Seconding this. You can get a Wii-mote to work but it has too few buttons for some games. Gamestop sells a branded bluetooth controller specifically for use with Android but I own one and while it's not bad some of the buttons stick or require a harder press sometimes.

Just get a PS3 controller, plenty of buttons and actually designed to work well as a gamepad.

VVV yes that too

landis fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 8, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Not all third party PS3 controllers are Bluetooth though, so be careful. I have a USB/PS2 controller port only one from Saitek, for instance.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
What do you guys use to control the ps3 controller? I see sixaxis via google search. Is that what people need?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

moms pubis posted:

I ordered a Gametel bluetooth controller. It should be here next week sometime. I will post my findings once I have it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Has anyone tried Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land yet and has a review?

T00kus
May 25, 2010

yobbing in a strange land..
Does anyone know when the heck the Phoenix Wright ports are coming to Android? I saw that it was released on the iPhone last month. I've been craving this for sooo long....

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

landis posted:

Seconding this. You can get a Wii-mote to work but it has too few buttons for some games. Gamestop sells a branded bluetooth controller specifically for use with Android but I own one and while it's not bad some of the buttons stick or require a harder press sometimes.

Just get a PS3 controller, plenty of buttons and actually designed to work well as a gamepad.

On the other hand if you have a Classic Controller the Wiimote Controller app is free and works with all the programs you'd think it would work with. In some you'll have to go into the advanced settings and select "Allow Bluetooth keyboard" or something like that.

Also Nyko is releasing a couple of bluetooth controllers that have the added ability to map the buttons to onscreen controls. I'll wait for the reviews to see how well it works but it'll be probably be close to a day one purchase for me.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 8, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Threep posted:

Has anyone tried Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land yet and has a review?
poo poo, AND it's an SRPG? You rear end in a top hat, there went my five bucks. Will report back later.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

coyo7e posted:

poo poo, AND it's an SRPG? You rear end in a top hat, there went my five bucks. Will report back later.

It looks rad, please report back ASAP so I can buy it.

Please don't let it be horrible. :ohdear:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The main menu music scared the piss out of the dog. Right now he's curled up under a table, growling at my phone whenever I turn the sound back up.

Graphics looks sharp, UI is fairly clean and reminds me a bit of fallout crossed with Operation Darkness (in a good way.) You can rotate and zoom, and the interface is definitely intended to be played on a phone, I'm gonna love trying it on my tablet.

FYI the app icon is named "Wasted Lands" which took a b it to locate after I got it.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 8, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, I've gotten through the tutorial and the first mission, and it seems so far to be a very well-polished game with a lot of thought and work put into it. The UI is clean and mostly efficient (although it took me a short while to get used to the tap or tap+hold interface), your units have "overwatch" abilities which let them make free attacks during enemy turns if they have enough Action Points left, and they gain skills and stats for being used in combat.

The story seems to have a good amount of thought and effort put in, with tons of quotes from Lovecraft stories and mythology, and characters which are almost recognizable from his stories as well.

The Operation Darkness comparison still seems fairly apropos this early into the game, although you're in WWI instead of WWII, there's a lot of switching to bayonets to shank enemies at close range, and layering attacks and fields of fire.

I can't wait to see one of the bigger, monstrous enemies, and then take him out with an artillery strike called in via homing pigeon! :D

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Welp.

Space Hulk is an old favorite, you had me at "Overwatch". It's kinda funny, the only other game I've spent this much on was Elder Sign. Lovecraaaft! :argh:

Thanks for taking one for the team!

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 8, 2012

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I have just upgraded my iPhone to a Galaxy S3, are there any games with fantastic graphics yet? The equivalent on iOS would probably be Infinity Blade, but I am happy with practically any genre for this as it is mainly a tool to show off the speed and screen!

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Blood and Glory is a pretty blatant Infinity Blade clone.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

coyo7e posted:

Okay, I've gotten through the tutorial and the first mission, and it seems so far to be a very well-polished game with a lot of thought and work put into it. The UI is clean and mostly efficient (although it took me a short while to get used to the tap or tap+hold interface), your units have "overwatch" abilities which let them make free attacks during enemy turns if they have enough Action Points left, and they gain skills and stats for being used in combat.

The story seems to have a good amount of thought and effort put in, with tons of quotes from Lovecraft stories and mythology, and characters which are almost recognizable from his stories as well.

The Operation Darkness comparison still seems fairly apropos this early into the game, although you're in WWI instead of WWII, there's a lot of switching to bayonets to shank enemies at close range, and layering attacks and fields of fire.

I can't wait to see one of the bigger, monstrous enemies, and then take him out with an artillery strike called in via homing pigeon! :D

Thanks for this review, helped me spend another $5 I don't have :negative:

Skam
Jan 6, 2008
has anyone tried using a gamepad on the gameloft fps's?

I just noticed that NOVA 3 appeared on my tablets market and was thinking of grabbing it, but id like to use my ps3 pad with it

also the same question for any football (soccer) games, Im thinking of getting fifa 12

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a poker app? Looking for Hold'em, Omaha would be a nice bonus too. There used to be a good WSOP I heard but I can't find it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TG-Chrono posted:

Thanks for this review, helped me spend another $5 I don't have :negative:
Seems like the Cthulhu game is legit, license-wise as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-08-call-of-cthulhu-the-wasted-land-hits-android-today

quote:

You'll need Android OS version 2.3 (aka Gingerbread), OpenGL ES 2.0 plus a touch screen to run the game. The developers have tested the game on a range of devices including HTC, Samsung and Acer and are confident it will work on most touchscreen tablets and phones.
I'm gonna try it on my Transformer tonight after I charge it.

Skam
Jan 6, 2008

rock2much posted:

Can anyone recommend a poker app? Looking for Hold'em, Omaha would be a nice bonus too. There used to be a good WSOP I heard but I can't find it.

pokerstars have an app, both real and play money and pretty much the best on ive found, you need a pokerstars account i guess

http://www.pokerstars.co.uk/mobile/

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Cthulthu game, Wasted Land, is really unresponsive on my mytouch 4g.. The game runs well and there's no problem with the animations, but when I try to press the buttons they just don't respond half the time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Agesilaus posted:

The Cthulthu game, Wasted Land, is really unresponsive on my mytouch 4g.. The game runs well and there's no problem with the animations, but when I try to press the buttons they just don't respond half the time.
I had the same issue until I learned the difference between tapping and holding on stuff, now I have no trouble.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

coyo7e posted:

I had the same issue until I learned the difference between tapping and holding on stuff, now I have no trouble.

thanks, I started playing around and am now getting the hang of it. I'm not too interested in this whole cthulthu thing, but I like turn based strategy.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Is there much done with tablets in mind? Im looking at a Transformer Prime, and was wondering what the game specific support of it is.

ie games made with tablets in mind.

Scar Trek
Mar 6, 2002

I was here before this cliché crap and I'll be here long after it's cold and raped and dead in the ground.
Neat, didn't know Wasted Land was getting an Android release, I almost resorted to the PC port but this can sit alongside Elder Sign: Omens on my phone :cthulhu:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Looks great on my tablet! Plays even better than on my phone.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Has anyone been able to build a showcase in Pocket Clothier yet? I can't seem to figure out the requirements.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
So how about X-COM clones? I noticed 2 in the list on the second post (Xenowar and UFO: Alien Invasion), can anyone comment on them or any others I might have missed? Top down turn based strategy games seem like they would be a slam dunk on a phone, and I'd love to get my X-COM fix that way.

Also, how well does Ur'Quan Masters control on a phone? I feel like the combat might be a little hard to translate to a touch interface.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

gently caress yes, finally beat clown car in trainyard.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

I Watson posted:

Has anyone been able to build a showcase in Pocket Clothier yet? I can't seem to figure out the requirements.

You get Large from Stocking and Showcase from Style, possibly vice versa. They're both based on your employee skills earning you a trophy and getting you a trophy reward. Just managed to do it finally in year 11, month 11. I think an employee needs to break 300 in that stat but I'm not entirely sure.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 10, 2012

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

DemonMage posted:

You get Large from Stocking and Showcase from Style, possibly vice versa. They're both based on your employee skills earning you a trophy and getting you a trophy reward. Just managed to do it finally in year 11, month 11. I think an employee needs to break 300 in that stat but I'm not entirely sure.

Thank you very much! I was focusing on leveling everyone evenly, but now I'll pump a few employees up.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So how about X-COM clones? I noticed 2 in the list on the second post (Xenowar and UFO: Alien Invasion), can anyone comment on them or any others I might have missed? Top down turn based strategy games seem like they would be a slam dunk on a phone, and I'd love to get my X-COM fix that way.

Also, how well does Ur'Quan Masters control on a phone? I feel like the combat might be a little hard to translate to a touch interface.

Xenowar is basically a simpler version of X-COM, quite adapted to play on a phone in my opinion. Didn't play Alien Invasion, and the Ur'Quan Masters port works well, but good luck in fights without an actual keyboard.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

LumberingTroll posted:

Is there much done with tablets in mind? Im looking at a Transformer Prime, and was wondering what the game specific support of it is.

ie games made with tablets in mind.

I personally haven't seen anything designed with JUST tablets in mind, however there are a lot of games that support tablets so they're not all stretched out weird and in most cases take advantage of the extra real estate. Also the Prime has a preloaded app called TegraZone that helps you find games that support the hardware, the selection is slim but does have quite a few notables like Shadowgun, Siegecraft, and GTA III (FYI it just links to the Play store, it's not a whole separate store). You can also look for the "THD" keyword (Tegra High Def or Tablet High Def, I forget, either way with the Prime you're covered).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

http://www.tablified.com/category/games/

But there aren't many that would meet an artificial definition of "difficult or impossible to play on a phone".

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
There's that Avadon game. I think that was meant for tablets since it's basically a port of the PC game.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

coyo7e posted:

I turned out have this issue (Nook Tablet running CM7) and no amount of tapping, double-tapping, or long-pressing will select a dude a lot of the time. Usually the buttons work on the second or third tap. There's also no way to exit the app (on an iPad port? shocking), it's a permanent wakelock unless killed from Manage Apps or similar.

On the other hand, both of these issues appear to be a common complaint so presumably they'll be fixed quickly. A $5 game is hard to sell with this kind of thing stacking up in the Play reviews.

Also, for whatever reason, their specific Google Play page has been taken down at least temporarily; all the other app pages I randomly tried load fine, but this one throws a "We're sorry, there was an error. Please try again later." It's an internal error page, not a 404 or something.

I wonder why they decided to implement pinch-to-zoom backwards?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So I'm looking for a Magic:the gathering/Star Wars style card game. Does any such thing exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Cabals; it's heavily freemium but that's consistent with M:tG, right? :v:

• Locked thread