Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMosesNative
Dec 29, 2011

The Man on the Moon.

Skwirl posted:

I'd watch it, if they got Fassbender and McAvoy again, though I thought it was a mistake to have Magneto become a villain at the end of the First Class, it seemed rushed in the movie and they knew they were going to do a sequel anyways, given the rights issue.

I agree. I definitely think they could have milked out Magneto and Xavier's friendship a little while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Re Ms Bala:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's happened is that everybody's covered their own asses with a very flimsy excuse. Laura is captured, used up, then spat out after providing a juicy tabloid story. The media has someone to blame (in part) and a story tantalizing enough to excuse the lack of investigation. The authorities can claim to be making a dent in organized crime by taking photos of low-level soldiers posed in front of seized caches of arms, money and drugs. Meanwhile, the real players, continue on as usual. Everyone wins except Laura.

Much like Gommorah, this movie is helped by knowing some backstory - not about Laura Zuniga necessarily, but the Mexican Drug War in general.

I kept thinking of Gommorah while I was watching it. But yes, my knowledge of the Mexican drug war is thin.

So, that gives a motive or theme to the ending. But was Lino working with the general? And where is Laura abandoned in the end?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

outlier posted:

Re Ms Bala:

I kept thinking of Gommorah while I was watching it. But yes, my knowledge of the Mexican drug war is thin.

Further reading:

Blog Del Narco
Borderland Beat
El Narco
To Die In Mexico
Murder City
El Sicario (also a documentary now)
Gangland

Fascinating stuff about the "captured" state of modern Mexico and what happened after NAFTA, the weakening of the PRI, the consequences of illegal weed and the success of Plan Colombia.

quote:

So, that gives a motive or theme to the ending. But was Lino working with the general? And where is Laura abandoned in the end?

She's abandoned into anonymity basically, she's been used so she's back to being nobody. As for Lino and the general, it's kind of like the cop Laura runs to at the beginning of the movie - there's no clear hierarchy or sense of the protected people in authority. The general might have been working FOR Lino, for all we know.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ShadowMosesNative posted:

I agree. I definitely think they could have milked out Magneto and Xavier's friendship a little while longer.

The impression I got was that Xavier thought it was a friendship, and Lensherr was merely tolerating the smug telepath as long as it served his purposes. I mean, they knew each other for what, like a month? If they wanted the audience to take their "friendship" seriously it definitely needed more development.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

In the Fahrenheit 451 movie, what exactly is going on in the early few scenes where Montag is teaching trainee firemen? I'm just wondering about the part with the two trainees who get told not to sit together and then get yelled at or something by the captain.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The impression I got was that Xavier thought it was a friendship, and Lensherr was merely tolerating the smug telepath as long as it served his purposes. I mean, they knew each other for what, like a month? If they wanted the audience to take their "friendship" seriously it definitely needed more development.

Except if Magneto's all like "Heh, I'm just tolerating this smug telepath as long as it serves my purposes," you would think that any telepath worth his salt would pick up on that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Except if Magneto's all like "Heh, I'm just tolerating this smug telepath as long as it serves my purposes," you would think that any telepath worth his salt would pick up on that.

His inner monologue is obviously in German, which Xavier doesn't speak.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Skwirl posted:

I'd watch it, if they got Fassbender and McAvoy again, though I thought it was a mistake to have Magneto become a villain at the end of the First Class, it seemed rushed in the movie and they knew they were going to do a sequel anyways, given the rights issue.

It was up in the air because 1) This was the next movie made after Wolverine, which did not receive a very warm welcome, and 2) there was a lot of hemming and hawing about how they got all the 'facts' wrong in regards to first class, before the film was released (Fanboy stuff like "These characters weren't alive at this time"). It's possible that if the film tanked they would have been willing to sell off the rights. Possible, but unlikely.

Xavier has a pretty bad habit of not reading His friends' minds without their expressed consent. It's easy to hide something from someone who's not looking.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 8, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: Wrong thread.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Out of the three movies of Pier Paolo Pasolini up on netflix currently (The Decameron/Arabian Nights/The Canterbury Tales), which would be the best entry point for someone who's never seen something of his before?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

In the film The Innkeepers, who was the old man, who were the three ghosts the psychic lady was able to contact(we only see Madeline, and the old man who was only recently deceased) and what was the mistake the psychic got all freaked out about? They hid a body for a few days, they didn't murder Madeline they mishandled a corpse basically. Was the old guy somehow related to the Madeline suicide story?.

Loved the film, just wondering about a few points left vague.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Power of Pecota posted:

Out of the three movies of Pier Paolo Pasolini up on netflix currently (The Decameron/Arabian Nights/The Canterbury Tales), which would be the best entry point for someone who's never seen something of his before?

I would say you figured out the order on your own. Decameron first, then Arabian Nights, then Canterbury Tales.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Do we know yet when the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They list will be updated? I know it relies heavily on the Sight and Sound list which is due out sometime this year. Does anyone know when that sometime is?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

ZenMaster posted:

In the film The Innkeepers, who was the old man, who were the three ghosts the psychic lady was able to contact(we only see Madeline, and the old man who was only recently deceased) and what was the mistake the psychic got all freaked out about? They hid a body for a few days, they didn't murder Madeline they mishandled a corpse basically. Was the old guy somehow related to the Madeline suicide story?.

Loved the film, just wondering about a few points left vague.

As far as I can tell, the old man is the husband of the ghost in the wedding gown (Madeline O'Malley?). It is inferred that he kills himself in the room that Madeline killed herself in on their honeymoon (there is a shot of her hanging in the room by a noose). I'm not sure if it is fully explained who the three ghosts are and what the mistake is.

The alternative explanation is that it was all in Claire's head and the psychic was loving with her because she was being a dick. Remember, Luke claimed that he had made all of the ghost stuff up and the only "paranormal" stuff he encounters is auditory.

I didn't really like the movie, basically because some of these details where left too vague to be ambiguous (if that makes any sense).

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

caiman posted:

Do we know yet when the They Shoot Pictures, Don't They list will be updated? I know it relies heavily on the Sight and Sound list which is due out sometime this year. Does anyone know when that sometime is?

They tend to update in January so the last reissue was 6 months ago

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

caiman posted:

I'm assuming it's gonna be released in September since that was when the previous list from 2002 was issued.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

foodfight posted:

As far as I can tell, the old man is the husband of the ghost in the wedding gown (Madeline O'Malley?). It is inferred that he kills himself in the room that Madeline killed herself in on their honeymoon (there is a shot of her hanging in the room by a noose). I'm not sure if it is fully explained who the three ghosts are and what the mistake is.

The alternative explanation is that it was all in Claire's head and the psychic was loving with her because she was being a dick. Remember, Luke claimed that he had made all of the ghost stuff up and the only "paranormal" stuff he encounters is auditory.

I didn't really like the movie, basically because some of these details where left too vague to be ambiguous (if that makes any sense).

Madeline killed herself in the 1800s, so it couldn't be the old man. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but if I remember correctly, the psychic makes a point to say that her powers aren't linked to any specific time. So, Madeline is the first ghost, the old man is the second, and Claire is the third ghost. That was my take on it, anyway.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

morestuff posted:

Madeline killed herself in the 1800s, so it couldn't be the old man. It's been a while since I saw the movie, but if I remember correctly, the psychic makes a point to say that her powers aren't linked to any specific time. So, Madeline is the first ghost, the old man is the second, and Claire is the third ghost. That was my take on it, anyway.

Welp that makes perfect sense.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
What's the story on when John Dies at the End will be released nationwide? The last I had heard, it played at SXSW, but then....nothing. Has it found a distributor yet?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
In The Skin I Live In when Antonio Banderas kidnaps Vincent, is he wearing a mask or was there something else going on?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

foodfight posted:

In The Skin I Live In when Antonio Banderas kidnaps Vincent, is he wearing a mask or was there something else going on?

(Skin I Live In) Yeah he has on a fake nose and stuff

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What would you guys say were the most popular/well-known romcoms from the 90's?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
When I think of 90s Romantic Comedy, I think of Hugh Grant, Meg Ryan, Richard Gere, and Julia Roberts. So movies like Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle, While You Were Sleeping, My Best Friend's Wedding, Runaway Bride, Four Weddings and a Funeral, You've Got Mail, and Notting Hill.

But then there's this list, which is much more objective and comprehensive than I could ever possibly be.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just watched The Shining for the first time in years and I'm enthralled. Anyone have any articles/analysis/spergrants about the film? I would love to read more about the story and the making of the film.

On that note, I can't be the only person who thinks the movie plot line/characterization is vastly superior to the book right? Granted, I haven't read the book but having read the plot line and the differences from the movie the novel just seems so bland.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I think the only person who doesn't think The Shining film was superior to the book was Stephen King.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Twin Cinema posted:

I think the only person who doesn't think The Shining film was superior to the book was Stephen King.

Ugh, and don't even get me started about his miniseries version.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

the Bunt posted:

Ugh, and don't even get me started about his miniseries version.
What's your favourite part? Where Tony is a lazily green-screened floating dork? Or where it turns out that Tony was future Danny all along? The topiary animals that look like something out of a Quake machinima are pretty good too.

Anyway. One of the largest online analyses of Kubrick's film is Rob Ager's lengthy dissection of the film. For the record I think a lot of his arguments are rubbish, but he covers the wonky geometry of the Overlook in pretty exhaustive detail.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Twin Cinema posted:

I like the book more. The book has this really strong father/son dynamic to it that makes Jack's descent into insanity heartbreaking. The movie misses out on the dichotomy between Jack, a father who still feels guilty about breaking his son's arm while being a little too rough way back when, and what the hotel is doing to him.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

User-Friendly posted:

I like the book more. The book has this really strong father/son dynamic to it that makes Jack's descent into insanity heartbreaking. The movie misses out on the dichotomy between Jack, a father who still feels guilty about breaking his son's arm while being a little too rough way back when, and what the hotel is doing to him.
I think that's a fairly surface reading of the film. I think we're supposed to at least entertain the possibility that the Overlook is just a building, and as such isn't doing anything whatsoever to Jack. This places Jack's abuse of Danny, and Wendy's panicked and ineffectual obliviousness to it, as the central dramatic fact in the entire narrative.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

As much as I try, I can't convince my mom, a die-hard King fan, that the movie is good. It's just too different from the book for her.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've never read the book, but I'm not particularly a fan of the movie. It feels too overdirected and lifeless to be scary to me. Generally speaking, I'm a fan of Steven King and Stanley Kubrick, but the movie doesn't do it for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the very best thing about The Shining is that you could show a still of any random moment in the film, and never be mistaken as to what movie it's from.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think the very best thing about The Shining is that you could show a still of any random moment in the film, and never be mistaken as to what movie it's from.

a trailer, on the other hand...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SubG posted:

Anyway. One of the largest online analyses of Kubrick's film is Rob Ager's lengthy dissection of the film. For the record I think a lot of his arguments are rubbish, but he covers the wonky geometry of the Overlook in pretty exhaustive detail.

Holy god I've been reading this poo poo since you posted it and I can't stop. A ton of what he writes is way too circumstantial for me but its all so interesting, I hate you.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I think I spent a good four days last summer when I was only working weekends just poring over his analysis. There's tons of great stuff in there.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

computer parts posted:

a trailer, on the other hand...

I'll always love this. Even though they cheat with using dialogue from About Schmidt.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I've never read the book, but I'm not particularly a fan of the movie. It feels too overdirected and lifeless to be scary to me. Generally speaking, I'm a fan of Steven King and Stanley Kubrick, but the movie doesn't do it for me.
I know what you're talking about, but I really think that's one of the most striking things about the film. It shows up on every goddamn list of the `best' horror films, but it's really just barely a horror film. This is true in the same broad thematic sense that, say, Jacob's Ladder (1990) looks and feels like a supernatural horror film but isn't (although The Shining isn't as explicit about it), but also in the structural sense that there's really never any horror `money shot'. It feels kinda like the later (and lesser) The Exorcist III (1990), which is also a long slow buildup that goes nowhere. But where this is a weakness in The Exorcist III, the lack of tidy dénouement is very much the point in Kubrick's film---so much of the film makes no sense and is contradictory, from the impossible geometry of the Overlook to the apparent narrative inconsistencies: Charles Grady versus Delbert Grady, the twins' ages being given as eight and ten, the mysterious photograph in the final shot, and so on.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
In all fairness to King, in Danse Macabre he does mention that it's a great horror film, he just think it sucks as an adaptation. I can see his point given how personal that book is to King.

And while I think Rob Ager is a little too up his own rear end, his video piece about the geometry of the Overlook Hotel is brilliant.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know the general consensus is that Kubrick intentionally designed the sets to portray tons of geometric and layout contradictions but does anyone know whether that was actually taken into account in pre-production or was it Kubrick taking the limitations of the set designs and just running with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SubG posted:

But where this is a weakness in The Exorcist III, the lack of tidy dénouement is very much the point in Kubrick's film---so much of the film makes no sense and is contradictory, from the impossible geometry of the Overlook to the apparent narrative inconsistencies: Charles Grady versus Delbert Grady, the twins' ages being given as eight and ten, the mysterious photograph in the final shot, and so on.

It's what you'd call "existential horror" - where that's usually shorthand for Old Ones! R'yleh! Innsmouth!, here it uses a slightly but noticeably disordered reality as the source of unease.