Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

She's almost the spitting image of my little doofus! This pic is from when she was really young. She's since lost most of the side/buttfluff other than her 'skirt'.

I trimmed Sam's buttfluff once with these conair pet clippers I picked up from Target and it worked okay. She looked ridiculous for sure. She doesn't currently get much carefresh stuck on her but occasionally she'll get mats that I brush out if I don't get all the pieces of hay out of her mane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Yeah, definately need to get new litter. Tried vacuuming up the shavings while she was out and about. She had a bunny panic attack :smith:. So, I ended up using a broom on the carpet.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise

alucinor posted:

Yesterday's News or Feline Pine are the best litterbox alternatives I've found for poofy rabbits. Both are small hard pellets which don't stick in the fur as easily as shavings. However, both disintegrate when wet, and if you don't keep the box very clean and they lay in it, the smaller particles may still stick.

What about stove pellets?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I thought the thread might be interested in the first entry of this Cracked article. It's been a news story for years, but this is the first time I'd came across it at least.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19861_the-5-most-adorable-stories-in-history-war.html

The337th fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 7, 2012

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
i adopted him like this. they didnt even tell me about the problem and i was dumb to not inspect upon meeting him but oh well... im in love with him and happy im the one caring for him.

he didnt even know what hay was when i got him. im still slowly weaning him to a more hay diet. he had sores on his feet from his soiled bedding, and his cage was a guinea pig STARTER kit. no , he isnt fixed, but hes not spraying everywhere... hes really good with his litter, he pees in it all the time (he wasnt litter trained) and he dropps the odd poo marking but that will stop when i get him fixed. i kinda lost my job so im not too worried about getting him snipped just yet but i will when i can.

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
he honestly chews fine, his molars are in good shape. ill post a pic of hinm tomorrow with what he looks like usually :p that was just a picture of him when he was hanging out his first week.

do you have any enrichment suggestions since he is so ADD with not being able to chew?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Lagos posted:

What about stove pellets?

That's actually what I use but not everyone knows what those are. ;) I never heard of 'em before I moved to the midwest.

beautifck posted:

do you have any enrichment suggestions since he is so ADD with not being able to chew?

Rabbits aren't like rodents who want to chew wood all the time. In the wild they certainly don't chew down trees or anything! Most rabbits will chew in the course of their normal destructive foraging behavior, but it's not their favorite activity like digging and running are. If he's chewing on the bars, that's probably loneliness rather than repressed wood-chewing desire.

Easy enrichments:
Phone book (good for digging at as well as tearing with his tusks)
Cardboard box to hide in/hop on
99 cent plastic baby keys to jangle/throw
More running time
Digging box (rubbermaid container with a hole cut in the side, half full of pelleted litter/hay)
Big pile of hay to dig through
Handful of pellets scattered on the floor/in the litterbox so he has to search for them instead of sticking his face in the bowl
A friend (don't do this till he's neutered even if the friend is neutered!)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Paterson chews on the bars of the cage no matter how many toys he has and regardless of Bitsy. I think it's just something for him to do...

I joke that he must have lines all across his skull from pressing it into the bars like he does.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, definately need to get new litter. Tried vacuuming up the shavings while she was out and about. She had a bunny panic attack :smith:. So, I ended up using a broom on the carpet.

You can get horse bedding pellets from a tack shop, if you have one nearby. I like Yesterday's News, personally. Tack shops also usually are the best places for hay. I get my Timmothy for like $15 a 50 lb bale.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

War Bunny posted:

You can get horse bedding pellets from a tack shop, if you have one nearby. I like Yesterday's News, personally. Tack shops also usually are the best places for hay. I get my Timmothy for like $15 a 50 lb bale.

Seconding Yesterdays News. Its recycled newspaper, so its perfectly fine for the rabbits to eat if somehow they stick it in their mouths. Plus, its really effective, cheap, and easy to clean.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
One of my housemates accidentally left a plastic bag in the bunny room on the floor and when I came home from work Conrad was busy fighting it, so I took a video. Apologies for portrait. I have only just realised that I can take videos on my phone. As in like, half an hour ago. Probably best to watch with sound turned down due to my ear piercing voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-CnHIVB4s4

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

You might want to watch out that that doesn't happen again. The two I have would not hesitate to eat the bag.

One of my friends told me the other day that he used to have a rabbit when he was little but she died after eating a plastic toy skeleton. They are not good at deciding what is or isn't edible :(

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Yes don't worry. The bag has joined its friends on the fridgetop and the rabbit room is once again free of invaders. I think it blew in when I opened the door as apparently it was hanging off the door. Had a packet of crisps in.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, I think Harriet enjoys playing hide and seek. See, it originally was that when I was trying to get her back in cage, I'd be chasing her from one hiding spot to anohter (under the blue chair, beind the couch, near the bookshelf, etc). I noticed that when she would run from one spot to another, she would randomly jump in the air, or other times, stop midway, make sure I was watching, jump in the air, and continue running. After about 2-3 spots, she'll stop and let me pet her for a couple minutes. My final hint was a couple days ago. Was so exhausted from a 15 hour shift that I lay down on the floor. She poked her head out from her hiding spot, and when it became clear that I wasn't chasing her, she hopped over, then charged me, headbutted my arm (softly), then ran away again.

Am I misreading her, or did I find a fun game to play with her?

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I think Harriet enjoys playing hide and seek. See, it originally was that when I was trying to get her back in cage, I'd be chasing her from one hiding spot to anohter (under the blue chair, beind the couch, near the bookshelf, etc). I noticed that when she would run from one spot to another, she would randomly jump in the air, or other times, stop midway, make sure I was watching, jump in the air, and continue running. After about 2-3 spots, she'll stop and let me pet her for a couple minutes. My final hint was a couple days ago. Was so exhausted from a 15 hour shift that I lay down on the floor. She poked her head out from her hiding spot, and when it became clear that I wasn't chasing her, she hopped over, then charged me, headbutted my arm (softly), then ran away again.

Am I misreading her, or did I find a fun game to play with her?

Definitely sounds like a game to me! Sam's favorite game is 'make mom scream by running over and in between her feet and putting her off balance at all possible times'

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy is acting all weird and suspicious and I think that I saw her turning her head to the side. I'm worried about head tilt :( Hopefully it's just worry.

definitely head tilt. Off to the vet tomorrow. fml.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

luscious posted:

Bitsy is acting all weird and suspicious and I think that I saw her turning her head to the side. I'm worried about head tilt :( Hopefully it's just worry.

definitely head tilt. Off to the vet tomorrow. fml.

Ack! Hope it's nothing and turns out to be Bitsy being a rabbit :3:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I really hope that she's loving with me. We are going to the vet 1.5 hours away since this is a serious thing and I don't trust that the vet here can do anything other than give x-rays and do basic checkups :(

the ultimate prank: you don't get to sleep from worry, you take me to a new vet 1.5 hours away and have to hire us a personal driver and you have to call in sick to work.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

It's her way of showing you she loves you. That and the gnawing, aggression and fountains of piss.

Gosh and I thought my nearest qualified vet being half an hour away was far. I'm guessing you can't afford a car after all the vet bills your two furballs have lovingly acquired for you.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I can, I just can't drive for medical reasons.

This is the most heartbreaking thing that I have ever seen. She can hardly walk... I had to pad all around the cage because she keeps on tipping over into the sides of it. I had to make it a bit smaller, too. The vet said that they don't experience discomfort with the head tilt and it just makes it awkward for them. I was given anti-biotics and something to help her tummy since they said it was doughy. She's drinking and I got them to give her subcutaneous fluids so hopefully it wil be okay. I'm trying to stay away from their room because every time I see her I want to cry.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

okay so tomorrow I'm taking them to the vet in town to get a consult for a chiropractor. I might try to do this balance training thing (http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt_therapy.html) that I found online since it would be so easy with our Sleepypod.

When my boyfriend finishes work we are going to go to Walmart and get a bunch of pool noodles so I can tilt proof everything and make little passageways for her to go up and down.

I called a few physiotherapists in town and I think that they thought I was prank calling them :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

sorry for the post dump but I thought I should update you all on the room modification. My boyfriend and I bought a bunch of pool noodles and attached them to the cage with zipties. She keeps on going over the the walls and falling into them and I felt so bad and knew they had to be padded. I read that it's possible for them to get tangled in towels and tbh, I have no desire to have to throw all my towels out. I think that the noodles work better, too.

Paterson has found that they can be shredded with paws and teeth so I had to wrap one section really well in towels. wtf little man?

I took out their litterbox and am using the lid to a giant tupperware. She managed to get into a litterbox but kind of fell on her side trying to jump out and was flopping around like a fish. To keep from that happening this has no sides. I have no idea if she will even GO in / on the litterbox but at least she won't get stuck in it :(

I raised her water and food dishes and am hoping that will be okay. I also gave her CC today while I gave her the meds that we were given.

She still seems curious and outgoing and wants to know what is up with life. I think that she's still getting used to walking like she is and it will take some more adjusting for all of us. It is what it is and that's all I can do. Like I said, we are going to the vet in town to get a referral to the chiropractor.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

luscious posted:

I called a few physiotherapists in town and I think that they thought I was prank calling them :(

You called regular, ordinary human physiotherapists to ask if they'd treat a rabbit?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

they didn't specify what or who they treated. Maybe they know other people who do deal with animals. And to be quite honest, I think that anyone dealing with a bunny with head tilt would be on their last nerve enough to call people and ask strange things of them. She can't even walk without falling over ffs.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I've heard the head tilt mentioned before around here, I thought it was because of some kind of infection that was treatable, wasn't aware there could be more causes for it. (An ear thing or something?) What did the vet say exactly?

And yeah don't expect Paterson to have the best bedside manner, those pool noodles probably look delicious to him.

Lagos
Mar 17, 2004

Hates Loud Noise
Sorry to hear about bobble bunny. =:( She's lucky to have someone to go out of their way to keep her comfortable.

I have a question about fruit rations: I generally follow the House Rabbit Society guidelines, which specify that 2 oz of fruit/6 lbs of rabbit/day is okay. I've been using fuji apples (fairly succulent compared to, say, delicious) as training treats: Checking on my kitchen scale, I'd say I rarely go over 1 oz/day, cut into small pieces and divided into two training sessions.

Avery really loves them, but as a 'first time parent' I'm paranoid about giving her too much sugar. Am I just being silly?

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Was your vet able to determine a cause?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Was your vet able to determine a cause?

They took a bloodtest to check for EC. I am so totally not okay with the first checkup that she got so I am taking her to the vet in town today. I have a guy booked to take me to Toronto on Saturday if I'm still unhappy with the care they receive today. I'm going to ask for Panacur and Ponazuril. They gave me Baytril which is for Snuffles but she is showing NO signs of any respiratory issues.

beautifck
Feb 4, 2012
so i figured i should post pics of Zo when his teeth are freshly trimmed, I go about once a month now.

hes now on mostly hay with 1/4cup of pellet a day :)

every morning i snuggle him and put him outside in his day pen and wahtever, i come home we chill, play abit and i let him chase the cats. more outside pen time, and he only comes in at night to chill and sleep. I would like to say i spend quite abit of time with him ansd keep him busy (i swear he gets a little crazy because he wants to chew but he cant)

so is there anything with the aboe schedule i could improve on or add to make him a little happier? he is obviously spoiled.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

luscious posted:

They took a bloodtest to check for EC. I am so totally not okay with the first checkup that she got so I am taking her to the vet in town today. I have a guy booked to take me to Toronto on Saturday if I'm still unhappy with the care they receive today. I'm going to ask for Panacur and Ponazuril. They gave me Baytril which is for Snuffles but she is showing NO signs of any respiratory issues.

You could try calling your vet and asking them to phone in a prescription at a human pharmacy for empirical treatment :(

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Hopefully the last Bitsy update for at least a day:

Got her to the vet and on Metacam and a stronger antibiotic. I also switched her from the original gut mobility drug to the leftover Regan I had because it is apparently somewhat anti-nausea. They didn't have Panacur in the dose that I needed so we decided to wait for the bloodtest results ANYWAY before starting her on that if necessary.

She seems calmer and is still drinking water. I can't really tell if she is eating so I'm giving her CC which she is happy about (even though she only lets me give her a bit at a time). I have herbs all over their cage for her to munch on (including different heights and angles) and Paterson thinks that this is amazing and runs around eating them all :(

He is doing okay with it all. I wasn't really expecting him to be affected either way since he is so dumb. He's still happily sitting infront of the fan shredding the pool noodles. And thank god for them... they're really helping her. She's like a bumper car or a pinball :( at least it isn't painful.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So I'm considering getting my Charlie a companion bun, and I'm wondering what is the best way to pick one out and to introduce them together for maximum household harmony and happiness on both of their parts (and ours as well). Any tips on introducing rabbits for cohabitation?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Imalloutofideas posted:

So I'm considering getting my Charlie a companion bun, and I'm wondering what is the best way to pick one out and to introduce them together for maximum household harmony and happiness on both of their parts (and ours as well). Any tips on introducing rabbits for cohabitation?

Shelter dates :) Most shelters are very open to it. You can see that way of Charlie takes a particular liking to someone.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Bitsy is still doing as well as can be expected. We are still waiting on the Panacur (the vets simply WILL NOT dispense this to me despite how calmly aggressive I am in asking for it) and in the meantime, she's still eating CC (from the syringe) and drinking from the water bottle and is walking around as much as she can. I'm actually really happy that she is still active (even though it's depressing to see her walk around) because it shows me that she's still fighting in there. She hardly rolls at all unless something startles her but she does walk around in circles from time to time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, for the next few days, my city is under a heat advisory because with humidity, it's gonna be 42-44C here (110f for you folks south of the border who don't use a sane measurement system). I'm kinda worried about Harriet, especially since she has alot of fur. Since I will be at work all day, I was thinking of making sure she has a second water bowl in her cage (she doesn't use her water bottle at all) as well as running my AC while I'm at work. Anything else?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, for the next few days, my city is under a heat advisory because with humidity, it's gonna be 42-44C here (110f for you folks south of the border who don't use a sane measurement system). I'm kinda worried about Harriet, especially since she has alot of fur. Since I will be at work all day, I was thinking of making sure she has a second water bowl in her cage (she doesn't use her water bottle at all) as well as running my AC while I'm at work. Anything else?

You can always freeze a water bottle and leave it in the cage wrapped in a towel. I've used that for the ferrets during road trips. Also, I've seen other people recommend putting a ceramic floor tile in the freezer and then plopping that down in the cage for them to lay on.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

If the AC keeps the room at a normal temperature and they have a way to get out of direct sunlight I don't think there would be much of an issue. You probably want the extra water bowl anyway since AC will dry the air.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Serella posted:

You can always freeze a water bottle and leave it in the cage wrapped in a towel. I've used that for the ferrets during road trips. Also, I've seen other people recommend putting a ceramic floor tile in the freezer and then plopping that down in the cage for them to lay on.

My rabbits loved the poo poo out of a frozen liter bottle of water. Especially if you can get something weird shaped. Minute Maid has a bulkier, blocky-bottle of juice that lays flat and let my bunnies snuggle up to it when it got too hot.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I put a fan beside the cage (like right next to it) and Paterson lays in front of it. Right now I have curtains that hang from a shower curtain like rod that cuts my apt. in half. The living room and kitchen don't get cooled, the bunny room and my room do.

I have a fan that blows the air from my room to the bunny room. It isn't a perfect system by far but it works pretty well. My room is cooler but this whole half of the apt is noticeably cooler by a lot.

Finally got the Panacur (banana) and she looooves it. We are getting really good at medicine / food / water time. I'll spare you all the details of angling her / whatever else (but if you do have a bunny with head tilt message me and we will talk okay) but I will tell you that she loves to be held / cradled by me while she lays on her back and gives herself a full bunny bath. Apparently trancing doesn't apply when a bunny has head tilt. I rest her against me and after she is done eating she takes her time to use me to give herself the leverage to clean up. She even rubs her cheeks down with her paws.

Still moving around, eating more, drinking more, seems alert and aware, broke out of the cage earlier today.... still has the power of Satan on her side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

luscious posted:

Finally got the Panacur (banana) and she looooves it. We are getting really good at medicine / food / water time. I'll spare you all the details of angling her / whatever else (but if you do have a bunny with head tilt message me and we will talk okay) but I will tell you that she loves to be held / cradled by me while she lays on her back and gives herself a full bunny bath. Apparently trancing doesn't apply when a bunny has head tilt. I rest her against me and after she is done eating she takes her time to use me to give herself the leverage to clean up. She even rubs her cheeks down with her paws.

Still moving around, eating more, drinking more, seems alert and aware, broke out of the cage earlier today.... still has the power of Satan on her side.

We had a foster bunny with terrible, sudden head tilt. He ended up making a rather miraculous full recovery- never would have guessed he ever had a problem! Hopefully your girl will fare as well.

Our guy loved his meds, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggmxcb2nOjo