Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
So am I the only one for whom the zombie voices are OK (repetitive, maybe, but I like them), but the marine's voice files are WAY too loud? I'm talking "whoops, I accidentally pressed K while wearing headphones and now I'm deaf" here. They also don't match with the (much quieter) Z/X key taunts. I can't find a way to make them quieter, either; is there a way?

That said, I'm good with the new Brutal Doom mechanically (always have been, really; while it's not good for every wad, it makes the game more challenging and has forced me to up my previously mediocre game), although add me to the people feeling pretty uneasy with the whole "real pictures of actual dead people" thing to the point of thinking twice before checking out future versions. I think that, instead of poo poo like that, I'd prefer if future versions tightened up the current mechanics and added support for some of the more popular ZDoom add-in enemies like the shadows, etc. Oh yeah, and bring back the old shotgun!!!

edit: and fix the torch crackle sound already, it is still broken >:|

sharts fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

Alternatively, you could use one of the open source / free to dev commercial pre-made engines like Unity, which already has a pretty decent workflow for it. I've also heard ok things about Panda3D, which is super-easy/fast to develop for because it's all in python (though obviously there's limitations due to this).

I want to avoid Unity because I really want to use an engine that the Doom modding community is very familiar with. This way there are some really passionate people available for hire who can use tools that are like second nature to them. It just won't be the same with Unity.

Speaking of that. Does anyone know if Zdoom's extended engine features allow for Duke 3D type effects like exploding walls?

Also I disagree with Capilarean about shareware not having a place in the Internet world. Of course it does. The shareware model would work well with digital distribution and a low price point. It's the perfect combo for an impulse purchase. It's cheap and you have instant gratification.

The only thing I'd want to tweak is not give away a third of the game for free, and have the first episode be more like a mini episode. I'd be tempted to have multiplayer be available in the full version only too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

iceaim posted:

Also I disagree with Capilarean about shareware not having a place in the Internet world. Of course it does. The shareware model would work well with digital distribution and a low price point. It's the perfect combo for an impulse purchase. It's cheap and you have instant gratification.

I personally think that the modern free-to-play model is the logical evolution of the shareware concept. You get the base game and most of the core content for free, but the advanced features and convenience stuff requires that you put your money down. And like the days of shareware, there's a lot of crap out there, but it's also easier to find the good stuff because there's no real barrier to entry beyond the download size.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

iceaim posted:

Also I disagree with Capilarean about shareware not having a place in the Internet world. Of course it does.

This discussion is hilarious, because shareware only came about because the Internet started becoming popular.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

None of them were any good that i remember. There were tons of shitball noname companies putting them out on BBSes and such back in the day though.

Ok, but I wasn't actually interested in the games so much as the business models they used.

E: also, now that I think about it, what is the difference between "shareware" and "a game with a demo"? Is there even one?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, but I wasn't actually interested in the games so much as the business models they used.

E: also, now that I think about it, what is the difference between "shareware" and "a game with a demo"? Is there even one?

The legal difference was that you had to delete shareware after 28 days if you didn't buy a registered version, whereas a demo could be kept indefinitely. In practice, a shareware version was normally the whole first 1/3 of the game given away for free, whereas a demo would normally consist of a level or two if you were lucky.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Convex posted:

The legal difference was that you had to delete shareware after 28 days if you didn't buy a registered version, whereas a demo could be kept indefinitely. In practice, a shareware version was normally the whole first 1/3 of the game given away for free, whereas a demo would normally consist of a level or two if you were lucky.

What? This isn't true in the slightest. None of the Apogee games had that restriction, and I'm pretty sure the Id games didn't either.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Convex posted:

The legal difference was that you had to delete shareware after 28 days if you didn't buy a registered version, whereas a demo could be kept indefinitely.

Weren't those the rules for rom files? I'm pretty certain shareware was just there to be an extended demo for games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Convex posted:

The legal difference was that you had to delete shareware after 28 days if you didn't buy a registered version

This must be like having to delete ROMs after 24 hours if you don't own the actual cartridge.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there mirrors for the gore mod? The one in this thread sends me in circles. :saddowns:

not a sadist

Incidentally does Brutalized Doom ever stop pulling the SURPRISE BARON poo poo by end of level switches? It reminds me of D3's monster closets, goddammit.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

What? This isn't true in the slightest. None of the Apogee games had that restriction, and I'm pretty sure the Id games didn't either.

I'm trying (and failing) to find anything to back this up, although going by Google results I think it was a 30-day trial period and not 28 days as I said before. I can remember a load of shareware trials having a disclaimer about deleting them after 30 days but can't find anything specific right now.

Anyway, looks like I was wrong about it being a legal requirement at least, as the Doom shareware doesn't seem to have any restriction.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Capilarean posted:

How is that shareware? Shareware simply meant that instead of selling the games retail, you had a free, limited version which was supposed to be freely distributed among people and which had contact info so you could obtain/ unlock the unlimited version. It has pretty much no place in the internet world.

Shareware distribution would also often involve the third step - after free demo and reasonably cheap "full" game, there'd be more expansions to buy.

And uh, shareware distribution only really picked up with BBSes and the early internet, since that allowed the distribution to actually be free. Shareware compilations where you had to pay for the floppies or CD it was on for distribution still happened of course.

ToxicFrog posted:

The traditional distinction between "game with a demo" and "shareware game" was that a shareware game should have the free portion be reasonably complete when on its own. EG you'd have the first complete episode free of a DOOM or in a puzzle game with 500 puzzles you could do the first 75. Some games of a simpler kind would let you play the full game but disable saving/loading. Or let you play the full game but attempt to lock you out after a trial period. And more importantly, the full game usually wasn't available on store shelves, especially when the game was first launched - you'd need to order by mail/fax/phone/internet.

A commercial game with a demo however, would generally only let you play a very short section of the game. Imagine DOOM launching as a full game on retail shelves, and online/bbs you can download a demo of it that only lets you play E1M1.

Convex posted:

I'm trying (and failing) to find anything to back this up, although going by Google results I think it was a 30-day trial period and not 28 days as I said before. I can remember a load of shareware trials having a disclaimer about deleting them after 30 days but can't find anything specific right now.

Anyway, looks like I was wrong about it being a legal requirement at least, as the Doom shareware doesn't seem to have any restriction.

That was in fact a very common thing with shareware, but it's not a requirement to be shareware. Shareware games and programs were often released where you got essentially the whole package for free, but it only functioned for 14 days or 30 days. Or other times it would be both a features-restricted demo AND the features restricted demo would only last a certain amount of time.

Generally, the "allow use for X time, then lock everything out until purchase" mechanic was used for non-game programs, but same games did have it.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

I played all the games in the OP an whole lot and they're very good. I recommend everyone check them out.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

poptart_fairy posted:

Are there mirrors for the gore mod? The one in this thread sends me in circles. :saddowns:

not a sadist

Incidentally does Brutalized Doom ever stop pulling the SURPRISE BARON poo poo by end of level switches? It reminds me of D3's monster closets, goddammit.

Brutalized is fun enough but it's such a tasteless addition. It's like Plutonia: oh joy, Chaingunners and Revenants around every corner, I am so surprised. Also, I loved how maps 2 through 5 all had these pointlessly added exterior areas to the beginning of the level that were ugly and under-detailed, and all of them had a "secret" if you walked around the back of the building rather than going inside.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RyokoTK posted:

This must be like having to delete ROMs after 24 hours if you don't own the actual cartridge.

I.e. bullshit.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Has anyone mentioned Malice? It's an "ultraconversion" for Quake released in 97. It had some really cool mechanics like hoverboards, submarines, parachutes, a 3rd person camera, manual reload, and cheesy cutscenes with worse voice acting. I got it bundled with Quake in the Resurrection Pack when they were still selling boxed PC games in stores. :rolleyes:

I just stumbled across a playthrough on youtube and thought I'd post about it. It's a pretty sick total conversion overall.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Vertigus posted:

This discussion is hilarious, because shareware only came about because the Internet started becoming popular.

You're absolutely correct. The Internet, BBSes, and mail order distribution is what made the shareware business model successful. These days distribution is much easier compared to the early 90s.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I accidentally loaded the Nazis mod with Heretic. I'm enjoying it a lot more now. It feels like a 1930s-40s archaeological dig that went too deep and unleashed something unspeakably evil, door to another world, etc., etc.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

LvK posted:

I accidentally loaded the Nazis mod with Heretic. I'm enjoying it a lot more now. It feels like a 1930s-40s archaeological dig that went too deep and unleashed something unspeakably evil, door to another world, etc., etc.

It's like a medieval version of Jumanji with you playing as a spell-slinging Robin Williams. :psyduck:

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Heretic with the Nazis! mod is kind of strange, since the guns in the mod don't seem as powerful as normal Heretic weapons, so monsters are now bullet-sponges.

Since you now have weaker weapons with the same amount of ammo spawns as in normal Heretic, it becomes a strange game of ammo conservation and rushing hordes with the shovel (which can kill low-end mobs surprisingly quickly). I suppose all the shovel-rampaging adds to the pulp-archaeologist adventure vibes.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Skulltag server suggestions(for me to host): GO!

I'm bored, damnit, help a guy out.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 10, 2012

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

RyokoTK posted:

Brutalized is fun enough but it's such a tasteless addition. It's like Plutonia: oh joy, Chaingunners and Revenants around every corner, I am so surprised. Also, I loved how maps 2 through 5 all had these pointlessly added exterior areas to the beginning of the level that were ugly and under-detailed, and all of them had a "secret" if you walked around the back of the building rather than going inside.

It also doesn't make Sandy Petersen's levels any less lovely to play through.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
On the last episode of Scythe2, really enjoying it. How similar is Scythe and Scythe X? I also picked up Alien Vendetta, because I read the Scythe2 was sorta similar.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

x!te bike posted:

I played all the games in the OP an whole lot and they're very good. I recommend everyone check them out.

Oh alright, I'll check out this "doom nukem" you guys keep talking about.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seriously, though... if you guys want me to host ANYTHING on skulltag, I'd be happy to. Even some whadafuck.wad, if you know what I mean. Jesus, I'll even make an event in the steam group!

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I'd say reelism, but gzdoom needs to get itself a drop-in-drop-out dedicated server type thing first.

How about Half-life Zdoom? http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-zdoom It's half life in doom! :D

edit: wait that's zdoom too. How about that wolfenstein map set again?

edit edit: and also Half life zdoom is quite bad.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 11, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Any Final Doom mods worth dicking with? And is there a compilation of the PSX-specific levels for Final Doom? I remember them being different from what we got on the PC. :psyduck:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Any Final Doom mods worth dicking with? And is there a compilation of the PSX-specific levels for Final Doom? I remember them being different from what we got on the PC. :psyduck:

PL2 and PRCP

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea what those acronyms are. :saddowns:

Also, PSXDoom and Brutal Doom work surprisingly well together. Sure the DIE MORTAL stuff is rather at odds with PSXDoom's more ambient soundtrack, and your ammo counter doesn't work at all, but the added violence and mobility adds an even darker edge to the PSX lighting.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

QwertySanchez posted:

How about Half-life Zdoom? http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-zdoom It's half life in doom! :D

Paranoid is a far, far better 'Half-Life for ZDoom' mod.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Soon enough Carmack will be demoing a device that you can plug your entire face into and basically enter the jaw-chattering Matrix:

@ID_AA_Carmack posted:

I wonder if you can respond faster with a bite than pressing a button, due to shorter nerve path. Pro gamer accessory? :-)

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 11, 2012

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

poptart_fairy posted:

I have no idea what those acronyms are. :saddowns:

Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited Community Project.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

jerkstoresup posted:

Soon enough Carmack will be demoing a device that you can plug your entire face into and basically entire the jaw-chattering Matrix:

A buddy of mine's dad used to play NES with the controller buttons facing down so he was manipulating them with his fingers instead of his thumbs for this exact reason. It kind of blew my mind a bit.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is there a music mod for Duke Nukem similar to Doom's 2011 soundtrack? Had a quick look around and can't see anything.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dominic White posted:

Paranoid is a far, far better 'Half-Life for ZDoom' mod.

Can we get a download link? The one on the site is dead.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Is the zdoom engine capable of doing some of the Build-like effects like swinging doors and exploding walls? I'm not super familiar with the extended features of the engine aside from true 3D rooms and slopes.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

iceaim posted:

Is the zdoom engine capable of doing some of the Build-like effects like swinging doors and exploding walls? I'm not super familiar with the extended features of the engine aside from true 3D rooms and slopes.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

Their wiki is actually pretty well maintained and describes most of the ZDoom-specific features. Polyobj_DoorSwing does exactly what you'd think, and ACS functions can do things like exploding walls.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

jerkstoresup posted:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

Their wiki is actually pretty well maintained and describes most of the ZDoom-specific features. Polyobj_DoorSwing does exactly what you'd think, and ACS functions can do things like exploding walls.

Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to check out this whole wiki!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

jerkstoresup posted:

Soon enough Carmack will be demoing a device that you can plug your entire face into and basically entire the jaw-chattering Matrix:
I like to think, after this latest tweet series, that the ending part of the Matrix Reloaded where Neo asks if they're still in the Matrix would be answered "of course not, there's no lag!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

poptart_fairy posted:

And is there a compilation of the PSX-specific levels for Final Doom? I remember them being different from what we got on the PC. :psyduck:

Apparently, the PSX version of Final Doom was made up of 13 of the Master Levels, 11 TNT levels, and 6 Plutonia levels. So, technically, there are no PSX exclusive levels. Well, they were stripped down a bit from the PC originals, so in that sense they're all exclusive, but... I guess what you're looking for is most likely the Master Levels.

Also, the latest version of the PSX Doom TC now contains PSX Final Doom in addition to Doom 1 and 2. There's also a version with just PSX Final Doom.