Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I've been looking and looking for mutton suet here around Washington D.C., and I cannot find any that doesn't include birdseed already mixed in. In order to keep with the spirit of the dish, beef suet would be the next best I think, but how much would that alter the flavor of the food?

Let's Meat on the Avenue in Alexandria might be able to get it for you. I wouldn't count on them having it in stock if you walk in, but they have a reputation for being able to get just about anything as a special order.

I need to go over there, they've started selling kangaroo and I've always wants to try cooking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

I need some budget stretching help. Can gws help me make this last for 9 days?

Meat:
4x frozen chicken breasts
3lb chicken thigh quarters
2x lb sliced bacon
1 lb bacon ends
3 frozen ribeyes
1lb seafood medley
1lb ham steak
Whole bunch of eggs

Starches:
Large bag brown rice
1lb spaghetti
oatmeal
Grits
Flour (I'm pretty good at bread or pizza crusts)
Potatoes
Dried peas
Lentils

Veggies:
3x artichokes
Carrots celery
Kale
1x red onion
6x green onion
1lb carrots
Cilantro
Tomato x6

Also got a bunch of strawberries and raspberries from the CSA box. Will get another one on Wednesday.

Help me feed my little family through the end of next week?

You could probably feed a family in Africa for a month on this much food. Make flatbread with the flour. Make daal, make curries, make stews. Depending on how thick cut the ribeyes are you can feed (a healthy amount) a family of four with one. Stretch the food by adding filler. Turn the artichoke into a tapenade for bread. Make a curried carrot soup. Make smaller portions of things and top with poached or fried eggs (eggs are the cheapest source of protein by far).

In the future, buy whole chickens. They are significantly cheaper per lb, and you get the carcass to make stock with. Buy white rice, like calrose. It is more shelf stable, faster to cook, cheaper, and tastes significantly better. Instead of ribeyes, buy Sirloin. For some reason since flank, flap, and skirt steaks have gained popularity (and demand outrageous prices) consumer attention has drifted away from this perfectly useful cut. I've seen it go as low as 3bux/lb. Tritip, too, if you're lucky enough to be in a state that knows what that is. Buy onions by the sack, instead of individually, and store them properly. Buy pork shoulder, it is cheap, tasty, and hugely versatile.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hempuli posted:

I guess this question doesn't really follow the standards of this thread, but here we go anyway: might people be interested in a mushroom-themed cooking thread? There're tons of mushrooms in the world and I think it'd be really interesting to hear about mushroom-based foodstuffs in other countries etc. Also it might be useful to those who don't dare to pick mushrooms in fear of picking some poisonous ones. there could even be a short catalogue of common mushrooms in the op and all.

(I haven't posted threads on SA so I felt like asking if one's needed before making it. Does this make me a good person? :shobon:)

Take time to write a long and insightful first post. Google, wiki, and otherwise look up all the things you recommend and/or claim and cite the sources if they're good. Add a lot of pictures. Make a lot of outside reading recommendations, too. In my experience from threads I've posted and threads I liked to follow, threads that offered a lot of information in the first post tend to spark diverse conversation in the thread and therefore become more successful in the long run. Threads that are a paragraph long in the first post that :effort: out on information, wanting other people to start meaningful discussions, or threads that are outright wrong on many points whose OP is outrageously arrogant will get shat on like what. But hey, those threads are fun for everyone, too. Bart hasn't had the opportunity for a good mod challenge in a while :v:

In short, double check your facts, provide lots of resources, add a lot of pictures, cover a variety of topics, and you should be golden.

oh yeah, and don't be a dick. :downs:

Good luck!

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
My super market mislabeled Farmhouse Tilsit as Danish Tilsit (great cheesemonger, or greatest cheesemonger?), so now I've got moldy towel cheese sitting around and I don't want to waste it, so are there any recipes that use it?

Hot tip; don't buy Farmhouse Tilsit.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Ugh. I'm in an absolute rut with dinners. Any good tips for breaking out of a rut? It's like the cooking side of my brain just ripped itself off and took a dive off a cliff.

Make this! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/italian-cassoulet-pork-sausage-broccolini-beans-recipe.html

For no other reason than I made it the other day and it was amazing. I even tried the sausage (vegetarian).

Two questions:
Watched an old episode of Hell's Kitchen and they had two girl son who were "beer sommeliers". I did some very half-assed googling and came across this program:

http://www.cicerone.org/

I'm moving soon to an area where I will likely not have a job in my current field. Anyone thinks this Cicerone site looks legit, and if so, any chance that I could actually be hired as a cicerone without much food service experience? I'm guessing probably not, but I like researching different kinds of beer for fun anyways.

Question two:
I'm vegetarian. I have been my whole life. For health reasons, I need to stop. I'd like to make a thread about switching, but I don't know if there's be any interest whether to post it here or A/T. Thoughts? I could really use goonadvice, honestly, because I am having a rough time making the change.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Right now all of tri-tip, chuck cross rib roast, and chuck pot roast are on sale for $3.99/lb. Which of those is the best deal? What is the difference between those cuts of meat as far as preparation, flavor, tenderness, etc?

I tend to use the crock pot on big roasts, but I'm perfectly capable of roasting in the oven or slightly freezing, slicing, and turning into fajitas or stroganoff or just about anything else. I don't have resources for grinding my own, but that's about it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

Right now all of tri-tip, chuck cross rib roast, and chuck pot roast are on sale for $3.99/lb. Which of those is the best deal? What is the difference between those cuts of meat as far as preparation, flavor, tenderness, etc?

I tend to use the crock pot on big roasts, but I'm perfectly capable of roasting in the oven or slightly freezing, slicing, and turning into fajitas or stroganoff or just about anything else. I don't have resources for grinding my own, but that's about it.

They're all about on par pricewise, you shouldn't crockpot the tritip though, grill that to midrare. The two chucks are interchangeable and should be braised. As far as tenderness is concerned, properly braised the two chucks will demolish because they will pretty much fall apart. The tritip is a different beast, though, and I think you should think of it differently. Chucks, think stew, tritip, think fajitas, roast beef, tacos, etc.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

They're all about on par pricewise, you shouldn't crockpot the tritip though, grill that to midrare. The two chucks are interchangeable and should be braised. As far as tenderness is concerned, properly braised the two chucks will demolish because they will pretty much fall apart. The tritip is a different beast, though, and I think you should think of it differently. Chucks, think stew, tritip, think fajitas, roast beef, tacos, etc.

Thanks! I gave the man of the house the option, and he chose tri-tip. I've never cooked tri tip myself, and my former roommates would always crock pot the poo poo out of it until it fell apart and called it pulled beef. I will find something more appropriate to do with it. To grill it, would I cut it into steaks?

I'm not super clear on the difference between roasting and braising. I know you braise stews and that's what the crock pot does to things. Is there a difference besides whether or not the dish is covered to keep in moisture/steam? What about roasting and baking meat? Are they the same process?

I have a lot of cooking experience, but very little of it is even vaguely formal. I know a lot of different methods of cooking, how to look at a stack of basic ingredients and make something delicious, how to make a completely and utterly smooth sauce from a roux, how to read six or eight versions of a recipe and make up my own, and how to get the burned rice off the bottom of yet another of my pans (at least it wasn't my all-clad this time). BUT I don't know a lot of names for things or what cuts of meat do what or the vocabulary for a lot or ridiculously basic processes because I just DO them and have never had a cooking buddy to talk about these things with.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

Thanks! I gave the man of the house the option, and he chose tri-tip. I've never cooked tri tip myself, and my former roommates would always crock pot the poo poo out of it until it fell apart and called it pulled beef. I will find something more appropriate to do with it. To grill it, would I cut it into steaks?

I'm not super clear on the difference between roasting and braising. I know you braise stews and that's what the crock pot does to things. Is there a difference besides whether or not the dish is covered to keep in moisture/steam? What about roasting and baking meat? Are they the same process?

I have a lot of cooking experience, but very little of it is even vaguely formal. I know a lot of different methods of cooking, how to look at a stack of basic ingredients and make something delicious, how to make a completely and utterly smooth sauce from a roux, how to read six or eight versions of a recipe and make up my own, and how to get the burned rice off the bottom of yet another of my pans (at least it wasn't my all-clad this time). BUT I don't know a lot of names for things or what cuts of meat do what or the vocabulary for a lot or ridiculously basic processes because I just DO them and have never had a cooking buddy to talk about these things with.

Tritip should not be cooked past medium. You can cut into steaks if you want, or grill whole and cut later. Rub with salt, cumin, chile powder, minced garlic, and olive oil. Or marinate in a chimichurri. Take it to about 137F internal temp and rest for 1/4 of the cook time before slicing.

Braising takes meat to well done, then cooks it more, and more, and more to the point where the gelatin binding them meat dissolves and you get tender meat (it's actually grossly overcooked, but it's swimming in gelatin so your tongue can't tell). Roasting is a dry heat thing. Some recipes will make you think that roasting is braising because you cook a meat in a liquid in the oven, but really that is just braised. Roasting is done such that the meat is heated by air. Generally roasting is medium temperature over a longer period of time, grilling is high heat and is sort of a faster version of roasting, kinda but not really. Broiling is upside down grilling, kindabutnotreally. :downs: hope this helps.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tritip should not be cooked past medium. You can cut into steaks if you want, or grill whole and cut later. Rub with salt, cumin, chile powder, minced garlic, and olive oil. Or marinate in a chimichurri. Take it to about 137F internal temp and rest for 1/4 of the cook time before slicing.

Braising takes meat to well done, then cooks it more, and more, and more to the point where the gelatin binding them meat dissolves and you get tender meat... Generally roasting is medium temperature over a longer period of time, grilling is high heat and is sort of a faster version of roasting, kinda but not really. Broiling is upside down grilling, kindabutnotreally. :downs: hope this helps.

It does, thanks.

I found this set of instructions for medium-rare, which is how I like my beef, but the pictures make it look more medium. What would be the correct cooking time to get a perfect medium-rare? I live in a tiny studio apartment with no grill, so I will be oven roasting it.

http://www.scottskitchen.com/2005/12/scotts_lazy_man.html

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

It does, thanks.

I found this set of instructions for medium-rare, which is how I like my beef, but the pictures make it look more medium. What would be the correct cooking time to get a perfect medium-rare? I live in a tiny studio apartment with no grill, so I will be oven roasting it.

http://www.scottskitchen.com/2005/12/scotts_lazy_man.html

It really depends on the shape and mass of the beef as well, as the temperature you're cooking it at, and your oven hot spots, etc. It is far easier to get a probe thermometer, stick it in the thickest part of the meat, pull when it hits 135-140F, and rest it for 1/4 of the time it was in the oven.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

My understanding is that braising is essentially cooking something submerged in liquid for a period of time. However, I was looking up some specifics for braising bok choy and I found these two recipes that call themselves braising. What gives?

stir fry the veg then add a sauce - http://suite101.com/article/braised-bok-choy-a35593
basically a sautee - http://guiltykitchen.com/2010/12/17/garlic-braised-bok-choy/

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

GrAviTy84 posted:

It really depends on the shape and mass of the beef as well, as the temperature you're cooking it at, and your oven hot spots, etc. It is far easier to get a probe thermometer, stick it in the thickest part of the meat, pull when it hits 135-140F, and rest it for 1/4 of the time it was in the oven.

Unfortunately the probe thermometer has not yet been purchased off our registry, and I'm loathe to buy something that I may get a much higher quality version of very soon. I'll wing it. It's what I do best in the kitchen.

Many thanks for the advice!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nifty posted:

My understanding is that braising is essentially cooking something submerged in liquid for a period of time. However, I was looking up some specifics for braising bok choy and I found these two recipes that call themselves braising. What gives?

stir fry the veg then add a sauce - http://suite101.com/article/braised-bok-choy-a35593
basically a sautee - http://guiltykitchen.com/2010/12/17/garlic-braised-bok-choy/

They're just dumb, you're right. The first is just a stir fry, the second could almost be a steam more than anything but 8 minutes of steaming bok choy + bringing it up to temp in cast iron would be overcooked to hell.

Valdara posted:

Unfortunately the probe thermometer has not yet been purchased off our registry, and I'm loathe to buy something that I may get a much higher quality version of very soon. I'll wing it. It's what I do best in the kitchen.

Many thanks for the advice!

Honestly, you can never have too many thermometers. Get a cheap dial analog one. They're < $10 and then later you can use it to check the calibration of other thermometers, or use it to hold water at temp for whatever, or as a fry thermometer. Really you can never have enough thermometers.

And dishers.

And strainers.

And measuring cups.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 9, 2012

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a particularly recommended place for Aussie goons to buy kitchenware? Amazon is hit and miss as we're redirected to the European site. In particular someone that carries the Kitchenaid MCP or AllClad.

Clobbermeister
Aug 14, 2004

Clean. Bright. Articulate.
I'm looking to learn to cook more and better this summer, and my cooking tools selection is very bad. Can someone recommend a set or a retailer to pick up the basics without breaking the bank? Looking for that sweet spot of price vs. quality. Thanks you!!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Clobbermeister posted:

I'm looking to learn to cook more and better this summer, and my cooking tools selection is very bad. Can someone recommend a set or a retailer to pick up the basics without breaking the bank? Looking for that sweet spot of price vs. quality. Thanks you!!

Ross or TJMaxx or one of those other discount places where the only problem with the cookware is that it's either overstock or out of ~style~ right now. If there's one anywhere near you, try a Cost Plus World Market. Not only are they ridiculously fun stores in general, they have a lot of really weird and interesting kitchen stuff. There's some basics there, but mostly it's a lot of fun to browse and look around at crazy kitchen things.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Clobbermeister posted:

Go to a restaurant supply store. Buy pots, pans, and bakeware there. Get a skillet, a saute, a sauce pot, and a stock pot. They should have pretty good assorted utensils, too, but avoid buying things that are too big for your applications (at these stores, it is very easy to do that). Buy a Forschner chef's knife, buy a Forschner paring knife, buy a honing steel. Buy a sanituff chopping board. Instead of buying tupperware, buy cambros from the resto supply store. Ross/Marshalls/TJ maxx is good, too, for somethings, but I wouldn't count on them to stock a whole kitchen. Get the calphalon anodized aluminum nonstick duo at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, it is $50 and are fantastic pans. NEVER use metal in these, always wash with only a sponge, not the scrubby side, and NEVER sear food in these.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'd say at least check a thrift store before buying new stuff. I've found old revere ware stainless steel pots & pans at goodwill before (and bought them). Just clean them out real good, stainless steel doesn't really get old and used like nonstick, but don't buy it if it's pitted I guess. You might find cast iron there as well, but those can be in poor shape. It might be worth it to just buy a new one, I think they're relatively cheap.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
So, the SO and I managed to burn another pot of rice last night. I was under the impression I was making supper, he was making rice. He thought he was getting it started and I was minding it after. Oops on both our parts. Communication is key!

But that leaves me with a stupid pan with rice burned to the bottom. I've just read about fifty different suggestions for cleaning it. Which one works best in the humble opinion of GWS? The pan is your basic metal pan. I'm guessing steel, since it's pretty heavy for its size. I acquired it after a move a few years ago, so I have no idea how old it is or where it came from originally.

1) Baking soda and boil.
2) Dish washing liquid and boil.
3) Dryer sheet and leave overnight. Then boil.
4) Vinegar and boil.
5) Cola and boil.
6) Something else I haven't seen yet.

I'm sensing a re-occurring theme, but is there one that works best?

Edit: I needed to get started, and I found another pan with some burned on crap on the bottom (just moved and finding all KINDS of things), so I am trying (1) and (2) above. For both, I added cleaning agent and water, brought to boil, put on lid, turned off burner. I planned poorly with the dish washing liquid and had a brief boil over of hot, sudsy water. I used the spilled water to clean my stove top, which was on my list to do today, anyway. If either works or fails spectacularly, I'll let you know.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 9, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The local supermarket have completed altered their vegetable layout. They have more things in but generally there are 2 main things I'm likely to get that I'd like to know how other people use/how they prepare. The first is that they now stock smoked garlic. I realise is pretty basic but for anyone who uses it when do you prefer it to normal garlic?

They also started stocking samphire. Aside from washing it and a quick steam to people have any other method of preparation?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Go to a restaurant supply store. Buy pots, pans, and bakeware there. Get a skillet, a saute, a sauce pot, and a stock pot. They should have pretty good assorted utensils, too, but avoid buying things that are too big for your applications (at these stores, it is very easy to do that). Buy a Forschner chef's knife, buy a Forschner paring knife, buy a honing steel. Buy a sanituff chopping board. Instead of buying tupperware, buy cambros from the resto supply store.
Echoing this. And I'd add that the Cambro containers aren't just a `cheap but good' solution, I like 'em better than Tupperware, Oxo, and so on for things like storing dried goods (flour, sugar, rice, dried pasta, bulk spices, u.s.w.). They're also great if you need larger food-safe containers for brining, pickling, making kimchee, and that kind of thing.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

ahmeni posted:

Is there a particularly recommended place for Aussie goons to buy kitchenware? Amazon is hit and miss as we're redirected to the European site. In particular someone that carries the Kitchenaid MCP or AllClad.
https://www.petersofkensington.com.au

It's not quite cheap as imports but it's very well priced, especially when they have a sale on. Located in Syd so the shipping is fast and pretty cheap.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
This is probably not worth its own thread, so I am posting here: How do I make good desebrada?

Since I moved to New Mexico in October, I have become obsessed with this delicious shredded beef. Back home there was a large hispanic population and I would always get shredded beef tacos/burritos/whatever, but desebrada offers flavors that I had never seen in the north. Any time I go to a Mexican/New Mexican restaurant, or even a taqueria, whatever I order is going to have desebrada in it. So, I decided to try to make some in my crockpot today. I followed this recipe: http://www.grouprecipes.com/116048/mexican-shredded-beef---carne-de-res-deshebrada--.html

But, after eating a few tacos at home here, it's just not the same as what I get at my favorite taco stand. My beef is way too savory - like I should be eating this stuff with mashed potatoes and gravy. (Aside: I've tried making roast beef in my crockpot for this purpose in the past, and it always comes out dry. Wtf.) I'm thinking maybe the cut of meat might be too fatty - I used chuck roast like the recipe calls for, but I'm not sure what other cuts might be less fatty and thus better for desebrada. I also used more spices and peppers than called for in the recipe (and only a 3 lb cut of meat instead of 4 lb), but I definitely can't taste the onions, peppers or spices. So should I go even crazier on those? Is a crockpot just not a good way to prepare desebrada?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I've been saving bits and bobs for stock in my freezer, and I have all the vegetables and supplies needed except celery. The only way to buy it at the store is to buy a giant bag of the stuff, and the recipe only calls for one rib. I've never particularly enjoyed the stuff either raw or in foods, so I foresee the rest of the bag getting ignored and going bad, which seems like a huge waste.

Can I leave the celery out of the stock, or is it far too important as an aromatic? If so, what do I do with the rest of the giant bag of celery stalks? Maybe it's time I started using a real mirepoix, but that seems like it would take a long time to use up a whole bag. Does celery keep well chopped and frozen?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Just leave it out, it's totally ok.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Valdara posted:

Ross or TJMaxx or one of those other discount places where the only problem with the cookware is that it's either overstock or out of ~style~ right now. If there's one anywhere near you, try a Cost Plus World Market. Not only are they ridiculously fun stores in general, they have a lot of really weird and interesting kitchen stuff. There's some basics there, but mostly it's a lot of fun to browse and look around at crazy kitchen things.

I once found a cooking pot in TJ Maxx that was copper. Outside AND inside.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

bringmyfishback posted:

Make this! http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/italian-cassoulet-pork-sausage-broccolini-beans-recipe.html

For no other reason than I made it the other day and it was amazing. I even tried the sausage (vegetarian).

Two questions:
Watched an old episode of Hell's Kitchen and they had two girl son who were "beer sommeliers". I did some very half-assed googling and came across this program:

http://www.cicerone.org/

I'm moving soon to an area where I will likely not have a job in my current field. Anyone thinks this Cicerone site looks legit, and if so, any chance that I could actually be hired as a cicerone without much food service experience? I'm guessing probably not, but I like researching different kinds of beer for fun anyways.

Question two:
I'm vegetarian. I have been my whole life. For health reasons, I need to stop. I'd like to make a thread about switching, but I don't know if there's be any interest whether to post it here or A/T. Thoughts? I could really use goonadvice, honestly, because I am having a rough time making the change.

I'd be interested in reading about it. I'm sure a lot of the vegetarian/vegan GWS posters will come at you with questions about what in your vegetarian diet is/was causing your health problems and/or why you feel that becoming an omnivore would help solve those problems. The posters in the vegan thread are all quite knowledgeable and may even be able to help you bridge the nutritional gaps in your current diet.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

I've been saving bits and bobs for stock in my freezer, and I have all the vegetables and supplies needed except celery. The only way to buy it at the store is to buy a giant bag of the stuff, and the recipe only calls for one rib. I've never particularly enjoyed the stuff either raw or in foods, so I foresee the rest of the bag getting ignored and going bad, which seems like a huge waste.

Can I leave the celery out of the stock, or is it far too important as an aromatic? If so, what do I do with the rest of the giant bag of celery stalks? Maybe it's time I started using a real mirepoix, but that seems like it would take a long time to use up a whole bag. Does celery keep well chopped and frozen?

If you plan to make continental dishes you need the traditional mirepoix, with celery. Any other stock such as a Chinese doesn't need it. I've never frozen celery, but we have rabbits so we have a constantly cycling supply of greens.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Valdara posted:

I hate celery I never use it in anything, you don't have to put it in stock you'll be fine. You don't have to make a "real mirepoix" either cook how you like, not because of traditions

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm looking at making eclairs this week, but am having a bit of confusion as to the ratios for making Pate a Choux.

Rhulman says the ratio is 2 parts water: 1 part butter: 1 part flour: 2 parts egg, but in another one of his posts he says it to be 2:1:2:2.
Then another recipe shows 1:1:1:1.

And to add even MORE confusion, my copy of Gisslen's Professional Baking has the ratio at 2:1:1.5:2.5

pre:
Ingredients            U.S.    Metric  %
Water, milk, or 50/50  1 lb    500g    133
Butter                 8 oz    250g    67
Salt                   1 tsp   5g      1.5
Bread flour            12 oz   375g    100
Eggs                   1lb 4oz 625g    167
Total weight:          3lb 8oz 1755g   468%
Edit: Added links.

Edit2: Duh forgot the question. Can anyone point to which ratio works the best?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 10, 2012

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I have two cans of 100% pumpkin that I bought a long time ago with the intention of making pumpkin pies. That did not happen, and now I'm trying to find ways to use them up in savory dishes. My research has turned up nothing helpful. My SO does not like soups, so that's out, and the pasta sauces I found only use a 1/2 cup per giant batch of sauce. I'm desperately trying to find wanton wrappers to make my own ravioli, but nowhere around here has them and I haven't had the chance to venture outside my neighborhood yet.

The only other thing I can think of is pumpkin bread, but I've already got a lot of baking ahead of me this summer since I'm trying to make my own wedding cake. I've managed to use up most of what has been sitting fallow in my pantry for a while, but those cans of pumpkin are silently mocking me every day.

Edit: A question about frying. I've never done more than pan frying, because it kills me to use that much oil for one meal, I have an irrational knee-jerk negative reaction to the idea of fried foods, and quite frankly I'm a little scared of a giant pot of hot, sizzling oil. Is it possible to re-use the frying oil, like re-bottle and use it later? Or should I suck it up and deal since canola oil is so cheap? Is canola even what I want to use?

The knee-jerk reaction and fear are things I'll get over by just doing it a couple times, so the oil waste is by far the largest mental block right now. By the end of the summer, I want to be passingly knowledgeable in all the major methods of food prep, but frying is the one that will require the most getting over myself.

Valdara fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 10, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ive always been under the impression that you can reuse frying oil as long as you don't really over heat it while cooking (it will have an off taste if you take it up too high) and you strain it afterwards before storing it.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

FishBulb posted:

Ive always been under the impression that you can reuse frying oil as long as you don't really over heat it while cooking (it will have an off taste if you take it up too high) and you strain it afterwards before storing it.

I've always done this, strain to make sure you don't have food parts (which breed bacteria/ disease) and store in something that is airtight and blocks sunlight (or in a dark area). Don't reuse for different types of cooking like doing fish and chips then vegetable tempura.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

The Born Approx. posted:

This is probably not worth its own thread, so I am posting here: How do I make good desebrada?

Since I moved to New Mexico in October, I have become obsessed with this delicious shredded beef. Back home there was a large hispanic population and I would always get shredded beef tacos/burritos/whatever, but desebrada offers flavors that I had never seen in the north. Any time I go to a Mexican/New Mexican restaurant, or even a taqueria, whatever I order is going to have desebrada in it. So, I decided to try to make some in my crockpot today. I followed this recipe: http://www.grouprecipes.com/116048/mexican-shredded-beef---carne-de-res-deshebrada--.html

But, after eating a few tacos at home here, it's just not the same as what I get at my favorite taco stand. My beef is way too savory - like I should be eating this stuff with mashed potatoes and gravy. (Aside: I've tried making roast beef in my crockpot for this purpose in the past, and it always comes out dry. Wtf.) I'm thinking maybe the cut of meat might be too fatty - I used chuck roast like the recipe calls for, but I'm not sure what other cuts might be less fatty and thus better for desebrada. I also used more spices and peppers than called for in the recipe (and only a 3 lb cut of meat instead of 4 lb), but I definitely can't taste the onions, peppers or spices. So should I go even crazier on those? Is a crockpot just not a good way to prepare desebrada?

Are there no fans of this delectable spicy meat? :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I want to make sushi, but I'm having difficulty judging whether a cut of fish is "sushi grade". With Google searches I've found a lot of conflicting information with the only common consensus being "there are no regulations on whether a piece of fish is really sushi grade, so good luck!"

Do I just go for the freshest fish out there? Should I look for something that has been frozen for awhile so that any parasites are less likely to survive? I live near the sea, should I go to a fish market and buy tuna fresh off the boat or should I just buy some cheap Costco tuna steaks?

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
You definitely want sushi to be frozen before you eat it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I want to make sushi, but I'm having difficulty judging whether a cut of fish is "sushi grade". With Google searches I've found a lot of conflicting information with the only common consensus being "there are no regulations on whether a piece of fish is really sushi grade, so good luck!"

Do I just go for the freshest fish out there? Should I look for something that has been frozen for awhile so that any parasites are less likely to survive? I live near the sea, should I go to a fish market and buy tuna fresh off the boat or should I just buy some cheap Costco tuna steaks?

"Sushi Grade" Fish is just marketing bullshit much like Kobe Beef, (Forbes article here). There is no USDA (or fish equivalent?) grading of fish. Just go for the nicest freshest looking fish you can find. If you can get fresh caught fish (and you trust the source) do that, next being fully frozen. (look up how to check for larger worms/parasites yourself, or freeze them out yourself.)

The reason I say get the frozen fish is 9 times out of ten, fish is flash frozen and processed at sea. When it gets to the fish market they just thaw it again to sell to you. Why not just thaw it yourself in small portions, know what I mean?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

if your town has a fish market, it'd be better to get it from there.

The Born Approx. posted:

You definitely want sushi to be frozen before you eat it.
:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'm not sure what that's about. `Fresh' fish from a fishmonger on a pier has still been on ice. But no telling how long, to what temperature, or how it was handled after it was thawed for sale as `fresh'. This isn't an issue if you're planning on cooking the fish well enough to kill any foodborne pathogens, but if you're planning on consuming it raw you definitely want to know it's been frozen and held long enough to kill anything in the fish you don't want in you.

But you pretty much are never going to eat a fish that's never been frozen unless you're catching it yourself.