Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

What? Who doesn't like a good fishsicle every now and then?

Anyway, someone mentioned a slow cooker thread earlier but I couldn't seem to find it so I'll ask here instead. I have a soup that I make in my slow cooker on close to a weekly basis that's pretty tasty but involves almost entirely canned ingredients. As good as it is, I figured it would be even tastier (not to mention healthier) to use fresh ingredients instead. However, I don't know how to convert canned to fresh ingresients while maintaining suitability for use in a slow cooker (or how to convert the recipe for stovetop use). I tried looking through google, but while they had plenty of advice on converting indivdual ingredients from canned to fresh, I'm not sure how well it would work on a whole recipe.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I have a giant thing of pork shoulder country style ribs. First, how can it be both shoulder and ribs? Second, my Gramma cooked these things into the most tender mass of delicious flavor I've ever had, and all I remember from her telling me what she does about three years ago is put them in cold water and bring to a boil. Also, most of the recipes I found involve inhuman amounts of ketchup and sugar.

Does anyone have a good recipe for pork shoulder ribs using this method or something similar?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Golden_Zucchini posted:

What? Who doesn't like a good fishsicle every now and then?

Anyway, someone mentioned a slow cooker thread earlier but I couldn't seem to find it so I'll ask here instead. I have a soup that I make in my slow cooker on close to a weekly basis that's pretty tasty but involves almost entirely canned ingredients. As good as it is, I figured it would be even tastier (not to mention healthier) to use fresh ingredients instead. However, I don't know how to convert canned to fresh ingresients while maintaining suitability for use in a slow cooker (or how to convert the recipe for stovetop use). I tried looking through google, but while they had plenty of advice on converting indivdual ingredients from canned to fresh, I'm not sure how well it would work on a whole recipe.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

What ingredients are you using canned? Beans,tomatoes, veggies?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

But you pretty much are never going to eat a fish that's never been frozen unless you're catching it yourself.

Or you're in Asia. There are some places here that do never-frozen sushi, and at the fish market a good number of the fish are swimmin' in tanks until you choose the one you want.

Last time I cooked crabs they attacked me first. :buddy:

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.

toplitzin posted:

What ingredients are you using canned? Beans,tomatoes, veggies?

What I've got right now is:

1 pound ground beef (cooked)
1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1 ~16oz can black beans
2 ~16oz cans diced tomatoes
1 ~8oz corn
1 medium-sized can green chile
1 packet taco seasoning

Throw it all in the slow cooker, mix it up and cook on low for 4.5 hours or so.

I forget the exact size of the cans, but that's close.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Golden_Zucchini posted:

What I've got right now is:

1 pound ground beef (cooked)
1 pound shredded cheddar cheese
1 ~16oz can black beans
2 ~16oz cans diced tomatoes
1 ~8oz corn
1 medium-sized can green chile
1 packet taco seasoning

Throw it all in the slow cooker, mix it up and cook on low for 4.5 hours or so.

I forget the exact size of the cans, but that's close.

This is a pretty awful recipe to use for a slowcooker.

1) You're not browning your beef, and it doesn't benefit from being slowcooked anyhow.
2) Your beans are going to be overcooked.
3) Corn too.
4) Why are you using taco seasoning?
5) Why are you putting cheese into this instead of topping it with cheese when serving?
6) Seriously this recipe gains nothing from being slowcooked what are you trying to do?

To fix:

- Use a cheap cut of beef or pork, perhaps beef short rib or pork shoulder, cubed, and sear it until it's browned properly.
- Use real spices. They are cheaper and suck less.
- Use dried beans. They're even cheaper and are not hard to cook.
- If you're going to not use dried beans, add them ~ 30-60 minutes before you're going to eat.
- Add the corn at the end too.

What you are doing is not cooking, it's mixing and waiting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Valdara posted:

I have a giant thing of pork shoulder country style ribs. First, how can it be both shoulder and ribs? Second, my Gramma cooked these things into the most tender mass of delicious flavor I've ever had, and all I remember from her telling me what she does about three years ago is put them in cold water and bring to a boil. Also, most of the recipes I found involve inhuman amounts of ketchup and sugar.

Does anyone have a good recipe for pork shoulder ribs using this method or something similar?

"Country style ribs" are basically pig strips. They're often loin but shoulder happens, too. Seldom is there actual rib meat involved. As for boiling them, all your flavor ends up in the water when you do it that way, though you do get them tender in relatively little time.

My personal favorite way to prepare them is in the oven. Set the oven to ~225-250 and cover a pan with foil. Salt the meat and give it a coat of oil to keep it from sticking as bad. Stick in the oven and leave it the hell along for 90-120 minutes. While that's happening, take your favorite barbecue sauce and thin it down with some worchestershire sauce or cider vinegar and maybe add some spices to suit you. When the time is up, give the meat a coat of the sauce mixture and turn it over. Every hour or so turn and baste the meat until done.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

dis astranagant posted:

"Country style ribs" are basically pig strips. They're often loin but shoulder happens, too. Seldom is there actual rib meat involved. As for boiling them, all your flavor ends up in the water when you do it that way, though you do get them tender in relatively little time.

My personal favorite way to prepare them is in the oven. Set the oven to ~225-250 and cover a pan with foil. Salt the meat and give it a coat of oil to keep it from sticking as bad. Stick in the oven and leave it the hell along for 90-120 minutes. While that's happening, take your favorite barbecue sauce and thin it down with some worchestershire sauce or cider vinegar and maybe add some spices to suit you. When the time is up, give the meat a coat of the sauce mixture and turn it over. Every hour or so turn and baste the meat until done.

Should I sear them first? What is "done"? Med rare is 135, but is that what I'm after for these?

I was going to make this tonight, but after spending all day grading finals and cleaning, then destroying, then cleaning the kitchen already today to make a (really delicious) frittata, I don't really want to deal with making those AND all the trappings that I'd planned along with it. I can make it tomorrow, instead. Tonight will be something stupid easy and one-pan with pasta.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't. Maybe hit them with the broiler at the end if they aren't dark and shiny enough for you.

Shoulder gets tender in the 180-200 range, iirc. This is low and slow barbecue-ish food, so it'll take 6-8 hours, but it's pretty forgiving if you miss a turn and you're not really doing much to it in that time frame.

Don't forget the foil, you'll never get the pan clean if you do.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 11, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Valdara posted:

Should I sear them first? What is "done"? Med rare is 135, but is that what I'm after for these?

I was going to make this tonight, but after spending all day grading finals and cleaning, then destroying, then cleaning the kitchen already today to make a (really delicious) frittata, I don't really want to deal with making those AND all the trappings that I'd planned along with it. I can make it tomorrow, instead. Tonight will be something stupid easy and one-pan with pasta.

You're braising them until tender. If you pull them at 135F they will be inedible due to the amount of connective tissue.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This is a pretty awful recipe to use for a slowcooker.

1) You're not browning your beef, and it doesn't benefit from being slowcooked anyhow.
Maybe I didn't say it properly, but by cooked I meant browned in a pan first.

quote:

2) Your beans are going to be overcooked.
3) Corn too.
4) Why are you using taco seasoning?
5) Why are you putting cheese into this instead of topping it with cheese when serving?
6) Seriously this recipe gains nothing from being slowcooked what are you trying to do?
This is all answered by the fact that this recipe comes out of a slow cooker recipe book that my mom got me when she gave me the slow cooker. Some of this is part of why I'm trying to find a better way.

quote:

To fix:

- Use a cheap cut of beef or pork, perhaps beef short rib or pork shoulder, cubed, and sear it until it's browned properly.
I'm not sure why I didn't think of that myself. It certainly sounds better than ground beef.

quote:

- Use real spices. They are cheaper and suck less.
I know it'll take some experimenting to get it right, but do you have any suggestions on where to start? Or I suppose I could google up some spice mixtures to try.

quote:

- Use dried beans. They're even cheaper and are not hard to cook.
- If you're going to not use dried beans, add them ~ 30-60 minutes before you're going to eat.
Getting away from the canned ingredients was kind of the point of the post. Do I need to keep anything special in mind when converting to dried beans or can I just use whatever google comes up with?

quote:

- Add the corn at the end too.
Would be any benefit from using frozen corn instead of canned, or is canned the way to go for this sort of thing?

quote:

What you are doing is not cooking, it's mixing and waiting.
Quite possibly. I've always been kind of lazy, both in the kitchen and elsewhere. I'm trying to change this which why I'm here. I'm pretty good at following directions in the kitchen but when it comes to deviating from the recipe I get kind of lost. I guess there's no particular reason to keep it in the slow cooker. I just don't know what order or when to add the ingredients or how long to cook it for.

So can I just take the conversions I find on google for tomatoes and beans or will that turn into a horrible mess?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Let's talk about salmon!

I got a job seining this summer in Alaska, and in addition to everything a regular deckhand does, I'll be cooking for all five of us. To keep food costs down, we'll be eating salmon every day. The galley is equipped with a diesel oven though, so it takes forever to change the temperature, and the range and oven heat at the same rate. Lastly, I'll only be able to cook in twenty minute spurts, then the food will be unattended for forty minutes at a time.

Free, unlimited salmon every day. What would you do?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Golden_Zucchini posted:

1) I know it'll take some experimenting to get it right, but do you have any suggestions on where to start? Or I suppose I could google up some spice mixtures to try.

2) Getting away from the canned ingredients was kind of the point of the post. Do I need to keep anything special in mind when converting to dried beans or can I just use whatever google comes up with?

3) So can I just take the conversions I find on google for tomatoes and beans or will that turn into a horrible mess?

1) Chili powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin are the big three "taco" seasonings. play around with the ratios by making some ground beef tacos, then apply the ratio to your crock pot meat.

2) The beans will swell a little as you soak them overnight. You'll probably only need one bag of beans per batch, or you can mix your bean types if desired.

3) The canned tomatoes are actually ok for this, you could try the rotel brand if you want some different flavor instead of "just tomato"

Bonus: there is an entire slow cooker thread here, check it out!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're braising them until tender. If you pull them at 135F they will be inedible due to the amount of connective tissue.

Right. Would this work better in a crock pot? Should I still turn every hour?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Valdara posted:

Right. Would this work better in a crock pot? Should I still turn every hour?

If you go the crockpot route be sure to stick them under the broiler briefly to get the sauce nice and sticky. They'll likely wind up swimming in their own juices like in pulled pork since it's the same hunk of pig.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SubG posted:

I'm not sure what that's about. `Fresh' fish from a fishmonger on a pier has still been on ice. But no telling how long, to what temperature, or how it was handled after it was thawed for sale as `fresh'. This isn't an issue if you're planning on cooking the fish well enough to kill any foodborne pathogens, but if you're planning on consuming it raw you definitely want to know it's been frozen and held long enough to kill anything in the fish you don't want in you.

But you pretty much are never going to eat a fish that's never been frozen unless you're catching it yourself.

So let me see if I've got this right

1) Most fish is frozen at sea anyway
2) You don't know how a fish monger has been handling their thawed fish, so it's no better than the thawed-out fish at the supermarket (because both were frozen)
3) Just buy frozen fish and thaw it yourself to minimize the risk of illness?

Right?

Thanks!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

QuarkJets posted:

So let me see if I've got this right

1) Most fish is frozen at sea anyway
2) You don't know how a fish monger has been handling their thawed fish, so it's no better than the thawed-out fish at the supermarket (because both were frozen)
3) Just buy frozen fish and thaw it yourself to minimize the risk of illness?

Right?

Thanks!
More or less. If you're planning on consuming the fish raw, you definitely want the fish to have been frozen prior to consumption in order to insure that parasites have been killed. If you buy fish that isn't frozen, then you're either going to have to rely on the prior handling of the fish, or on re-freezing it yourself. Repeatedly freezing and thawing fish hurts the quality of the product, so that's undesirable. If you have confidence that the fish was handled correctly (and frozen properly) prior to purchase than this isn't an issue. The complication is that there aren't any commonly adhered-to industry standards or labelling, so just seeing a sticker that says `sushi grade' doesn't tell you anything meaningful.

For the record, the FDA recommends one of:
  • Freezing at -4°F (-20°C) for 7 days
  • Freezing at -31°F (-35°C) until solid, then holding at -31°F (-35°C) for 15 hours
  • Freezing at at -31°F (-35°C) until solid, then holding at -4°F (-20°C) for 24 hours
These are maximum temperatures and minimum times; colder or longer is fine (from a food safety standpoint).

Edit:

Grand Fromage posted:

Or you're in Asia. There are some places here that do never-frozen sushi, and at the fish market a good number of the fish are swimmin' in tanks until you choose the one you want.

Last time I cooked crabs they attacked me first. :buddy:
Yeah, in China you can get a fish served to ya still breathing. I meant fish-fish in North America. Shellfish are sold alive and it isn't unusual to get crustacea that way.

SubG fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 11, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Still looking for a superior mango lhassi recipe. Anyone?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SubG posted:

Edit:
Yeah, in China you can get a fish served to ya still breathing.

I saw the video of that, and really, why in the gently caress would you want to do that to something with a central nervous system?

:nms:Wrap the head and gills in a wet towel, deep fry the rest of the body, and then pick the flesh off while the creature gasps for air in front of you?:nms:

I can't see any valid culinary reason.

I mean really, at least the French have the decency to hide under a napkin for Ortolan. What. The. gently caress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

toplitzin posted:

I mean really, at least the French have the decency to hide under a napkin for Ortolan. What. The. gently caress.

It's pretty hosed up. I've never heard of it here in Korea. We have sannakji, which are octopus tentacles that are still moving since they've been freshly cut off a live octopus. At least those are dead, though they don't look it.

FooGoo
Oct 21, 2008
Is there not a knife/kitchen utility thread or am I blind?

What's a good knife that will hold up with regular kitchen use? I'm done with the cheap crap but I don't need to shell out $1000 for a knife handmade by Japanese gnomes either. How is the quality of Henckels? What would you recommend? Thanks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FooGoo posted:

What's a good knife that will hold up with regular kitchen use? I'm done with the cheap crap but I don't need to shell out $1000 for a knife handmade by Japanese gnomes either. How is the quality of Henckels? What would you recommend? Thanks.

The Honsho Kanemasa 240mm Gyuto is a good entry level stainless Japanese knife http://japan-blades.com/big-seller/1667.html

If you want to take the plunge, you don't really need to spend too much more for a carbon steel Gyuto. The Moritaka Aogami #2 at 240mm http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moao2gy24.html is pretty affordable.

BTW don't be afraid of the word "gyuto" it is roughly the same shape as a chef's knife.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

FooGoo posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Someone put together all the recommendations later in the thread, here's the bit about knives:

quote:

What knives should I get?
Cheap: Victorinox (Forschner)
Fancy: Shun, Wusthof, Messermeister, Henckels (the higher end ones)

Generally we recommend against getting knife sets. You end up buying a bunch of knives you don't need when most people do fine with just three or four knives. Most people never need a boner, for example *cough* The most important knife (and maybe your most important piece of kitchen equipment) is the 8 inch chef knife. Second most important knife is the paring knife. After that, it depends what you need the knife for. A santoku is mostly redundant with a chef knife, except for the occasion when you need to butterfly a pork chop or other delicate thin-slicing operations (on the downside it lacks the heft a chef knife will have when cutting tough vegetables like giant radishes). A serrated knife is good for things that have tough skins and squishy insides (bread, tomatoes, etc). A slicer is for long clean cuts of big roasts/hams. Fillet or boner is for separating meat from bones or removing fish skin cleanly and with the meat intact. There are varying opinions on the high end; Shun or Henckels or Wusthof or Messermeister, etc. Most of those are great although Henckels does have a lot of cheapo crap you should probably avoid on the low end. For low end budget knives, there is a pretty good consensus that you should get Victornox knives. They're well reviewed, cost a fraction of most high end knives and will work pretty drat well.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

toplitzin posted:

1) Chili powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin are the big three "taco" seasonings. play around with the ratios by making some ground beef tacos, then apply the ratio to your crock pot meat.

2) The beans will swell a little as you soak them overnight. You'll probably only need one bag of beans per batch, or you can mix your bean types if desired.

3) The canned tomatoes are actually ok for this, you could try the rotel brand if you want some different flavor instead of "just tomato"

Bonus: there is an entire slow cooker thread here, check it out!

Just remember that if the beans are kidney beans, they have to be boiled at a rolling boil for at least ten minutes before they go into the slow cooker to destroy the phytohemagglutinin. Cooking at low temperatures in a slow-cooker actually increases the toxicity of this substance up to five times, so just boil the beans while you're browning your meat.

edit: Also don't use the soaking water to boil them in, and don't put the boiling water into the slow cooker.

Dogfish fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 11, 2012

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
The local market has wild sockeye for $8.99/lb, which seems pretty reasonable. I'd like to pick some up for glazed salmon. I would also like to smoke some. Any tips/recipes/guidelines for smoking salmon?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Valdara posted:

I made pulled pork from these a while back. I rubbed them with salt, pepper, and lots of cumin, threw them in a crock pot with a bunch of sliced onions and garlic, and cooked for about 8 hours. Afterwards I separated the solids from the liquids (the onions and garlic were too soft to be palatable so I tossed them), pulled the pork, dumped the delicious cooking liquid into a pan to reduce by about half, tasted for salt level (there was enough residual salt that it didn't need any after reducing), then tossed the pulled pork with the reduction. With some fresh corn tortillas and cilantro, it was amazing!

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

The Midniter posted:

I made pulled pork from these a while back. I rubbed them with salt, pepper, and lots of cumin, threw them in a crock pot with a bunch of sliced onions and garlic, and cooked for about 8 hours. Afterwards I separated the solids from the liquids (the onions and garlic were too soft to be palatable so I tossed them), pulled the pork, dumped the delicious cooking liquid into a pan to reduce by about half, tasted for salt level (there was enough residual salt that it didn't need any after reducing), then tossed the pulled pork with the reduction. With some fresh corn tortillas and cilantro, it was amazing!

They're in the crock pot, salted, peppered, and oiled. No onions or garlic, though. I'm not going for pulled pork this time, but I have definitely made it before. I also discovered that out of the six "bone-in" shoulder ribs in the package, three of them did not, in fact, have any bones.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Questions about defrosting meat.

1) Is it okay to defrost a frozen chicken breast by just leaving it out all day while I'm at work? poo poo is frozen rock hard in the AM.

2) If I defrost 2 pounds of chicken, and only need to use 1.5 pounds of it, can I refreeze the remaining 1/2 pound? Does it gently caress up the meat?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ahmeni posted:

Someone put together all the recommendations later in the thread, here's the bit about knives:

For the price, I would not get any of those "fancy" knives. You get much better bang/buck by going Japanese.

Victorinox/Forschners are great though. Also Kiwi and Shibazi cleavers.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 12, 2012

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Is it possible I will ever like smoked food or cilantro? I just taste ash and soap.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

indoflaven posted:

Is it possible I will ever like smoked food or cilantro? I just taste ash and soap.

You may be a supertaster, in which case the answer is probably not, unless you pick up a hefty smoking habit or something else that dulls your sense of taste.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Someone please tell me:

1. How to cook a steak in a pan and have it taste good

2. How to cook chicken breasts that i can then refrigerate over night and eat at lunch after being microwaved that tastes good.

Healthy is the key. Thanks!

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 12, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leave steak on a rack in the fridge overnight to help get rid of excess moisture. An hour before cooking, set oven to 500 degrees and put a cast iron skillet in there. Also put steak out on counter to get room temp and give it a generous dose of salt. After an hour, move the skillet to your stove top with the heat as high as it'll go. Blot up any excess moisture from the surface of the steak and toss that bitch on the crazy hot skillet, if it has a fat side put it on that for 30-60 second to render off some fat. Leave it the hell alone for 60-90 seconds, then turn and leave it the hell alone for another 60-90 seconds. It will smoke, open a window and don't panic. Put steak back in the oven for a couple minutes per side or until desired doneness (I've been known to just sear and plate leaner cuts).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

hayden. posted:

Someone please tell me:
1. How to cook a steak in a pan and have it taste good
Buy a good steak. Sprinkle it with salt and let it come up to near room temperature. Put a skillet (cast iron or stainless---not nonstick) on a high heat until it's lava hot. Add a small amount of a neutral oil, just enough to give the cooking surface an oily sheen. Put the steak in the skillet for 30, 45 seconds a side to about two minutes a side, depending on what level of doneness you're after. Rest for a couple minutes, serve.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Any suggestions on my earlier pate a choux recipes? I don't really want to waste ingredients.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

In the future, buy whole chickens.

This is a point of contention between my wife and me. I like buying chicken thighs or quarters because of the price and I like dark meat better. The Mrs doesn't like meat in the bone so i tend to do things like adobo or enchiladas where I can shred the chicken. The breasts are part of the "freezer pantry" for random quick meals or times like right now.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Your steak will stay rarer if you sear it while it's cold, not sure why you guys are warming it up.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is a point of contention between my wife and me. I like buying chicken thighs or quarters because of the price and I like dark meat better. The Mrs doesn't like meat in the bone so i tend to do things like adobo or enchiladas where I can shred the chicken. The breasts are part of the "freezer pantry" for random quick meals or times like right now.

You can debone and shred all parts of the chicken and a whole chicken comes with two (quite buxom!) breasts. Benefit of doing it yourself is A)cheaper and B)bones for stock. A broken down, deboned chicken thigh or breast can be frozen in ziploc bags. There is no reason to buy IQF BSCB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can debone and shred all parts of the chicken and a whole chicken comes with two (quite buxom!) breasts. Benefit of doing it yourself is A)cheaper and B)bones for stock. A broken down, deboned chicken thigh or breast can be frozen in ziploc bags. There is no reason to buy IQF BSCB.

I agree. Convenience and keeping the Mrs happy. Iqfbscb are for her. I think they're pretty flavorless. Price wise, Ive found thighs and thigh quarters to be cheaper than whole chicken, but nothing crazy. Usually .69/lb for thigh quarters vs .99/lb for whole.

I dunno how the amount of bones in the whole bird vs thigh make a difference in the stock. I usually get a pot of stock out of either the whole or the thigh bones, though I think I remember somewhere about the wings being good and snipping the tips off before throwing them in the pot.