Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilvy
Jun 8, 2012

spaceship posted:

I really, really, really hope the new pros have dual thunderbolt ports.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind having two thunderbolt ports; the displays can chain together, and there are too few storage options to warrant it for bandwidth issues...

Anyway, the IOSification of OSX in Lion and Mountain Lion has really turned me off to the whole idea of buying a mac anytime in the future. I like being able to change all of the settings on my computers, and Install what I want. I don't see that in the future of OSX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mountain Lion still lets you install what you want because Gatekeeper is configurable.

I love the knee-jerk reactions that are exactly the same as when UAC was introduced.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mountain Lion still lets you install what you want because Gatekeeper is configurable.

I love the knee-jerk reactions that are exactly the same as when UAC was introduced.

Yeah, it's really been quite silly. UAC was annoying as poo poo in Vista, but has been dialed back to a reasonable amount in 7 and is even configurable. ML looks like it's just starting with configurability right off the bat.

I'm not thrilled about the skeumorphism, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Even something as egregious as calendar had a mod in Lion, so I'm hoping for the same in ML.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PDP-1 posted:

I don't follow mac stuff very closely - when there is a new hardware release do the refurb/used markets typically get glutted with older models as ten million hipsters all upgrade at once?

Basically my nephew is going to turn seven in a few months and the family was thinking about pooling gift money together to get him a laptop. Both his parents are mac folks so it would make sense to go that route, but it seems kind of insane to drop a thousand bucks on a new MBA when all he really needs is the Apple equivalent of a cheap-o netbook. If the timing works out to score a decent refurb model that's 2-3 years old that'd be great.

7-year old? Macbook Air?

:3:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bilvy posted:

I don't really understand the reasoning behind having two thunderbolt ports; the displays can chain together, and there are too few storage options to warrant it for bandwidth issues...

You could connect 2 non-Thunderbolt monitors. That means two $100 monitors from Staples (or ones you already own), without having to buy at least one Thunderbolt monitor that costs $800.

Bilvy posted:

Anyway, the IOSification of OSX in Lion and Mountain Lion has really turned me off to the whole idea of buying a mac anytime in the future. I like being able to change all of the settings on my computers, and Install what I want. I don't see that in the future of OSX.

You really can't change poo poo in OS X as it is. You can't even change the fonts, colors or sizes of UI elements or window titlebars (except for 'accessibility' settings)

What settings are you afraid of losing?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

If I bought a Time Capsule and moved my media to it, could I then point iTunes to my media's new location over the network? Really hate all of these drat USB cables.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 11, 2012

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Abel Wingnut posted:

If I bought a Time Capsule and moved my media to it, could I then point my iTunes library over the network to my media's new location? Really hate all of these drat USB cables.

You can, but it gets slower, especially at things like adding new music to your library. If your library isn't that big, it will work fine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bob Morales posted:

You could connect 2 non-Thunderbolt monitors. That means two $100 monitors from Staples (or ones you already own), without having to buy at least one Thunderbolt monitor that costs $800.

There's also a few external devices that don't already have daisy chaning on them. See the new matrox docking station, and smaller things like the seagate 2.5" connector. It's non ideal, but 2 ports is a suitable workaround.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

chimz posted:

You can, but it gets slower, especially at things like adding new music to your library. If your library isn't that big, it will work fine.

My library's pretty big...drat.

What exactly gets slower? iTunes? Network speed? Streaming problems?

Maybe it's just easier to describe what I'm trying to do. I have a lot of songs and videos that I want to access from my Air, iPad, and TV. My Air isn't always here so I can't just share from the computer via iTunes.

Is there another solution?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 11, 2012

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

PDP-1 posted:

I don't follow mac stuff very closely - when there is a new hardware release do the refurb/used markets typically get glutted with older models as ten million hipsters all upgrade at once?

Basically my nephew is going to turn seven in a few months and the family was thinking about pooling gift money together to get him a laptop. Both his parents are mac folks so it would make sense to go that route, but it seems kind of insane to drop a thousand bucks on a new MBA when all he really needs is the Apple equivalent of a cheap-o netbook. If the timing works out to score a decent refurb model that's 2-3 years old that'd be great.

:stare:

At the absolute, absolute most, I would get a 7-year old a refurbished first-gen iPad for less than $200.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Abel Wingnut posted:

My library's pretty big...drat.

What exactly gets slower? iTunes? Network speed? Streaming problems?

Maybe it's just easier to describe what I'm trying to do. I have a lot of songs and videos that I want to access from my Air, iPad, and TV. My Air isn't always here so I can't just share from the computer via iTunes.

Is there another solution?

Buy a Mac Mini?

The TV and the iPad won't be able to stream stuff from the TC directly. You still need to run iTunes to access the content. (unless you want to fiddle with jailbreak stuff)

iTunes gets a bit laggier because AFP to the TC is higher latency and less well cached than local disk access. I also noticed that adding songs to my library took absolutely forever and it got way faster when I hooked up the drive directly. I think that iTunes pokes every single file in your library to make sure it's not a dupe before adding new songs, and the poking process is way faster on a local disk. Not really sure why it needs to do that, but it did.

It is livable but annoying, however you do get the benefit of having no USB cable.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

illcendiary posted:

At the absolute, absolute most, I would get a 7-year old a refurbished first-gen iPad for less than $200.

Yah, I'd be more inclined to find a used Clamshell or G3 Powerbook, but maybe kids these days don't want to touch anything that can't run youtube efficiently. I mean, he's not playing modern games right? Load it up with Swamp Gas, Oregon Trail, etc.

They're sturdy enough that they should handle a few drops, so that's nice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PDP-1 posted:

illcendiary posted:

^This, times a million. I mean, I guess you could spring for the lowest tier iPad 3 or an iPad 2 so that he wouldn't have any problem playing new games, since their GPU performance is a lot better than the original model's and they have cameras so he can draw on pictures of his face or something. He's loving seven. He's going to want to go to nickelodeon.com, play some games, maybe watch some youtube videos, and possibly watch movies and draw a little bit.

Even the lowest spec Core 2 Duo macbook air is tremendous overkill for a 7 year old. I mean, an Air might be "Apple's equivalent to a cheapo netbook" but it's a fully-specced, and expensive, notebook- and even a netbook is TREMENDOUS OVERKILL FOR A 7 YEAR OLD.

I know macs get a "ha ha, they're overpriced toys for hipsters who can't handle a real computer" rep on other parts of the internet- and these forums- but I don't know how you'd make the leap from that to "it'll be perfect for Billy, he can color inside the lines now!" Don't buy a second grader a laptop.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Bob Morales posted:

7-year old? Macbook Air?

:3:

Yeah, that's the thing I'm trying to avoid. The little dude is freaky smart for his age and has taken a shine to computers in general, so we'd like to direct any birthday present money toward something he will like that will also be educational. If his parents weren't both mac-centric graphics designers who are bewildered by a PC, he'd be getting a $300 netbook. Unfortunately Apple doesn't really cater to that low-end market.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Yah, I'd be more inclined to find a used Clamshell or G3 Powerbook, but maybe kids these days don't want to touch anything that can't run youtube efficiently. I mean, he's not playing modern games right? Load it up with Swamp Gas, Oregon Trail, etc.

They're sturdy enough that they should handle a few drops, so that's nice.

That's not a bad idea. He'd have tech support from his Mom & Dad while being able to do basic web/email stuff, which is all he needs at this stage.

Thanks to those of you who clarified the refurb/aftermarket stuff. It sounds like a refurb is out given the price range and timescale we have to work with, but I'll fish around on ebay/SAMart in a couple of weeks and see if I can get lucky.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

So did I. Big deal. Chances are if you have the Air, you're not doing anything with it that's going to be greatly affected by upgrading.

I use it for web design and app development. If the new Airs come with retina displays then I might do something really stupid. :negative:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 11, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

Yeah, that's the thing I'm trying to avoid. The little dude is freaky smart for his age and has taken a shine to computers in general, so we'd like to direct any birthday present money toward something he will like that will also be educational. If his parents weren't both mac-centric graphics designers who are bewildered by a PC, he'd be getting a $300 netbook. Unfortunately Apple doesn't really cater to that low-end market.

That's not a bad idea. He'd have tech support from his Mom & Dad while being able to do basic web/email stuff, which is all he needs at this stage.

Thanks to those of you who clarified the refurb/aftermarket stuff. It sounds like a refurb is out given the price range and timescale we have to work with, but I'll fish around on ebay/SAMart in a couple of weeks and see if I can get lucky.
Eh I wouldn't get anything older than an Intel Mac if you're going the Mac route...unless you hated the kid or his parents I guess. If you go too old the experience is pretty bad even for basic stuff, and the relative lack of compatible software could be an issue. Get an iPad 2, perhaps a keyboard (like Amazon's $40 one) as well if you're paranoid about loving up his typing development with the touchscreen or he's used to regular keyboards or something.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Just sold my 2 month old top-spec MBP15 about an hour ago. Lost $100 on what I paid, so pretty happy with that. Bring on WWDC!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

PDP-1 posted:

Does it have to be a laptop? A refurb Mini would be pretty cheap, and there'd be no chance of him dropping it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Alright, deep breaths. Relax. There's just going to be new chips, no re-designs or retina displays. Don't go crazy when they show Macbook Pros that still have DVD drives and you'll be okay.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think people should start :toxx:ing themselves guessing at what changes will be implemented, that would make this thread way more fun

(or maybe that is more for YOSPOS)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

That doesn't have to fit in a normal PCI slot though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

:wom:

MD846LL/A – MBAIR 13.3/2.0/8/512FLASH-USA

MD831LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.7/16GB/768GB FLASH-USA

:monocle:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a goon-populated IRC channel for the keynote?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

My white whale.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Nothing to see here...

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 11, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

:wom:

MD846LL/A – MBAIR 13.3/2.0/8/512FLASH-USA

:monocle:

And just like that, I want to upgrade.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shmoogy posted:

And just like that, I want to upgrade.

Eager enough to pay the rumored $4000 asking price?

EDIT: Plus $30 a piece for a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor and a Thunderbolt to VGA adaptor, plus $60 for an optical drive?

vvvvv One can only hope that's the explanation, but given the going price for 768GB of flash memory and an (unlocked) iPad 2...

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 11, 2012

gregday
May 23, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's probably the Australian price.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
New MacBooks will definitely be announced today.

Edit: and definitely a MagSafe adapter.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the rumored price for that Air?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT: Plus $30 a piece for a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor and a Thunderbolt to VGA adaptor, plus $60 for an optical drive?

vvvvv One can only hope that's the explanation, but given the going price for 768GB of flash memory and an (unlocked) iPad 2...

Not even a little bit-- but I kind of want more than 4gb ram 256 gb ssd and 1 thunderbolt port that my mb air currently gives me. I blame the 1440p monitor that I picked up.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the rumored price for that Air?

No idea. The $4000 price is what's floating around for the top-of-the-line MBP. I don't think I saw anything on pricing for the Air. (And frankly, the "price leak" is unusual for Apple, based on my recollections, so I'm not surprised that nothing else has a rumored price)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gregday posted:

That's probably the Australian price.

P.S. And just to remind you how much 720GB of flash memory costs: $2329 (Of course 600GB goes for $1000, so it might be a little lower)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

Not even a little bit-- but I kind of want more than 4gb ram 256 gb ssd and 1 thunderbolt port that my mb air currently gives me. I blame the 1440p monitor that I picked up.

The lack of 8GB option RAM-wise for the MBAs was a big complaint for me, though I guess swapping to a SSD isn't all that bad.

hamza
Mar 3, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

Except for the Thunderbolt part, both of those are easily upgraded yourself. Or am I missing something here?

E: Oh, is this for the MBA?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

hamza posted:

Except for the Thunderbolt part, both of those are easily upgraded yourself. Or am I missing something here?

E: Oh, is this for the MBA?

Yeah-- Ideally (dreamland) 13 inch MBA with 512 SSD 8gb ram (or user upgradeable so I could go to 16 without ridiculous costs) and 2 thunderbolt ports.

Or a thinner MBP which would let me get everything I want cheaper without too much of a portability loss.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about iOS 6, OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", new Macs, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the WWDC thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Do you want to know all about iOS 6, OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", new Macs, and all of the other cool poo poo Apple talks about as it happens?! Of course you do! Click the gigantic image or right here to head over to the WWDC thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

OH MY GOD RETINA MACBOOK!

Seriously, only $2200 for the base? :circlefap: MBP:TNG is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
I'm mashing refresh on the apple store. How long does it usually take for it to come up again?