Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Lumius posted:

is testcopy not working for anyone else? i get the error "test copy:Invalid destination server : server : test server "

I just tried it and got the same message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Now that it is F2P, is there any sort of Goon presence on EQMac? I am trying it out on my Windows box to see how it is before dropping a few bucks on a Mac, but it feels pretty empty and the Bazaar Search doesn't work on PC.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?&topic_id=186940

:lol:

No notice, to everyone that bought a bunch of SC to keep their account(s) gold, get hosed. It's like they felt some sort of karma imbalance from the great way they handled Al`kabor and had to take a giant poo poo on everyone to even things out.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
drat, thanks for the heads up. There's still a workaround to it, and I had 12000 SC sitting around from the triple station cash promo, since I usually only play 3-6 months at a time. Glad I was able to cash it in for another years worth, at least.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.
Lol. Great decision making there Sony. This is how i paid for my accounts since i don't trust them with my credit card. Not sure what i will do in a month when I lapse back to silver.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Ylide posted:

Lol. Great decision making there Sony. This is how i paid for my accounts since i don't trust them with my credit card. Not sure what i will do in a month when I lapse back to silver.

Your best bet would be the SC cards I guess, you can still directly get a months sub from them when redeeming.

That really is a bad, bad change to make with zero warning though, the frustration of people who had SC put back for that purpose is really understandable.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I just had an epic battle this morning.

It was me (75 beastlord), my warder, my tank merc and my 61 mage bot, his pet, and a 61 bloodbone healer merc.

We spawned Girplan Spiritleech in Dranik's Scar which popped him (dark blue to Balee) and ELEVEN FRIKKIN ADDS! The adds didn't agro immediately but Girplan couldn't be taken below 99% health until all eleven adds were killed. The adds were light blue to Balee.

I started working the adds one or two at a time while Girplan wailed on the tank with the bloodbone healing. Slows were slightly successful.

About a third of the way through the fight the mage took agro and went down fast so I was down one mage and a pet. Once we finished the adds the bloodbone was low on mana and went dry at about 60% of Girplan's health. The tank died shortly afterwards leaving me and my warder. I played pet cleric until I went OOM and then my warder died. I popped my defensive discipline and once that ran out I went head to head with Girplan until he died. I was at 27% health.

That is what EQ is about.

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 7, 2012

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Stupid move on SOEs part. The subs were the only reason to get SC in the first place. Then they say that it was just not a used feature so they take it out? Im willing to bet my left nut that it was one of the MOST purchased.

So now people wont buy their lovely SC anymore, because why? To buy a weapon skin? LOL? And people wont subscribe to their lovely game either because the SC option is gone.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Peechka posted:

Stupid move on SOEs part. The subs were the only reason to get SC in the first place. Then they say that it was just not a used feature so they take it out? Im willing to bet my left nut that it was one of the MOST purchased.

So now people wont buy their lovely SC anymore, because why? To buy a weapon skin? LOL? And people wont subscribe to their lovely game either because the SC option is gone.

Yeah it's sad to read the community relations guy saying something so obviously untruthful, even though you know it comes from higher up. Even the downiest mouthbreather could come to the conclusion that $30 on triple days via Walmart for a year sub is incredible, and people bought the hell out of it.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
The exploitation of the double/triple SC days were the main reason a lot of people were playing. Especially those with multiple accounts. Those people are going to now move on to other games or go F2P. Some money is better than no money IMHO.

If I was in charge at SOE, I would eliminate triple SC days, keep doubles but sporadic and with short notice. When people stock up, I would have things in the store actually worth buying, that way their stockpiled SC would dwindle by the time resub time rolled around.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You'd think like the dozens of illusions to choose from would be cool as poo poo, too. I'd pay a couple bucks for a cool illusion, but there aren't any. They are all junk with lovely default upright poses, slow animations, and wonky attack/running conflicts. They are everyway worse than the Luclin skins from a decade ago.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Well Kodaji and Co still have a few months from the last triple SC, but once those run out, I'm done. Not spending RL cash on 4x accounts when I was happily playing for free by buying triple SC cards for plat.

What a horrible move by Sony

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I was holding onto my extra SC over a 1 year sub after the 3x GC buying bonanza and luckily cashed in another year on my main two accounts last night before they removed SC subs from the website. So both my accounts expire sometime in 2014.

It's still viable to keep one or two accounts going with plat bought cards. But more than that would need an insane plat stream of income, and you lose out on the multi-month deals and 2x/3x deals.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

No More Heroes posted:

I just tried it and got the same message.

Just tried and got copy successful message

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Where the hell is everyone today? I'm sitting here at level 79 now trying to get 80 and there's no goons on to do some poo poo with. What a gyp.

Ante Christ
May 8, 2007
I was waiting for another double or triple SC promotion and three box for a month. Is the Test Server still Gold for everyone regardless of subscription level? I may just got back to the Test Server and 3 box anyways. Wasn't like I was in a group all that often.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

Ante Christ posted:

I was waiting for another double or triple SC promotion and three box for a month. Is the Test Server still Gold for everyone regardless of subscription level? I may just got back to the Test Server and 3 box anyways. Wasn't like I was in a group all that often.

You can't buy subs with SC anymore. You must not have read the last page or two. SOE spontaneously pulled it from the store with no warning, and a single cryptic forum response where a community relations person said "It wasn't a heavily used feature"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Looks like they'll be back for a bit if you have sc laying around:

Smed posted:

I've asked the team to put them back up for a week to let people buy them with existing SC. We should have been more thoughtful about this and I apologize for handling it the way we have. I'm not sure when it will be back up. Maybe today or maybe Monday (a lot of our team went to E3).

Smed

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Looks like they'll be back for a bit if you have sc laying around:

That's mighty white of 'em. It was either that or CS would have to grant a truckload of refunds I guess.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm afraid I hit the burnout too. I'm not sad though, I think it's amazing that we had a goon rush going for close to half a year, in a 13 year old game like EQ. I'm almost certain that this is the biggest combined goon population EQ has had, and I had a ton of fun. That's nothing to cry about for certain! :)

But of course, I burned out just a few days after I bought 3 month subs for all my boxes and VOA for my bard box. :downs: Seriously, this happens every single time I buy a big subscription package for an MMORPG.

I will definitely be back at some point though.

JustJeff88 posted:

By the way, someone remind me of the buff rule... isn't it something like only buffs of spell level 49 or less can work on characters 49 or less, but any buff of any level can work on a character 50+ (maybe it's 60+)? It's fairtly straightforward, I just can't remember the bloody thing. On that subject, does it apply to mercs or are they exempt? (I doubt it, but that would be grand... my druid has a 55-point DS now)

Here's a table from (near the bottom of the page):

http://samanna.net/eq.general/buffs.shtml

Level of spell: Minimum level for character
1-50: 1
51: 40
52-53: 41
54-55: 42
56-57: 43
58-59: 44
60-61: 45
62-63: 46
64-65: 47
66+: 61

As jetz0r said, as soon as you're level 61 you can receive even the highest level modern buffs, which rocks.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Pilsner posted:

I'm afraid I hit the burnout too. I'm not sad though, I think it's amazing that we had a goon rush going for close to half a year, in a 13 year old game like EQ. I'm almost certain that this is the biggest combined goon population EQ has had, and I had a ton of fun. That's nothing to cry about for certain! :)

But of course, I burned out just a few days after I bought 3 month subs for all my boxes and VOA for my bard box. :downs: Seriously, this happens every single time I buy a big subscription package for an MMORPG.

Hah, me too. I don't know why I never get burnt out at the very end of my subscription cycle rather than 3-4 days into it. At this point I'm kind of just waiting for the AA boost. Once that hits, I feel like it'll be a lot of fun to go back and do older stuff I missed out on (entire underfoot expansion, a few HoT zones, etc) and get some ok-ish AA while wrapping up the older content (which should be more fun at 95 with the best group gear, no pressure to level, get alaran language, etc)

Someone PM the gchat password? I'm entirely too lazy to log into luclin.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 9, 2012

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tolain posted:

Hah, me too. I don't know why I never get burnt out at the very end of my subscription cycle rather than 3-4 days into it. At this point I'm kind of just waiting for the AA boost. Once that hits, I feel like it'll be a lot of fun to go back and do older stuff I missed out on (entire underfoot expansion, a few HoT zones, etc) and get some ok-ish AA while wrapping up the older content (which should be more fun at 95 with the best group gear, no pressure to level, get alaran language, etc)

Someone PM the gchat password? I'm entirely too lazy to log into luclin.

Underfoot still has some good augs that you can either get from drops or buy with brellium which is purchasable from baz if you do the progression.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
SC non recurring memberships are back in the store, with just under a week timer on them. Cash your SC in while you can.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Hit 80 and got J5 mercs tonight. Thanks Loon, you are a king among men.

I guess now I work on gear and 81 for the jump in merc power and 81 mage pet and hopefully the aa patch comes out soon.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I finally started a Dark Elf SK to complement my bard and druid - I fancy that those 3 plus mercs (cleric, rogue, wizard, perhaps) would make a nice one-man group.

Sorry, but are you implying that you can have multiple mercs active at once?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Pretty sure he means that having three characters active at once gives him three mercs to use, one merc per player.

He's triple boxing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Keith Stone posted:

Pretty sure he means that having three characters active at once gives him three mercs to use, one merc per player.

He's triple boxing.

A 3 box + 3 mercs is pretty amazing. My team was around 3500aa each, Necro, Bard and Sham with a tank, cleric and melee dps merc and there wasn't any group content I couldn't handle. I gets lonely playing with by yourself though. :smith:

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
Going to reinstall this game after... like 9 years.. wow. Hoping to join the awesome goon community.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

No More Heroes posted:

A 3 box + 3 mercs is pretty amazing. My team was around 3500aa each, Necro, Bard and Sham with a tank, cleric and melee dps merc and there wasn't any group content I couldn't handle. I gets lonely playing with by yourself though. :smith:

Well, I'm actually kind of on the fence about what mercs to choose, and I'm stuck with one slot per PC because I can't afford $15 each for extra merc slots. My SK is 52.99 (I hit 53 last night but ate a death in order to do Vox - still laughing that I fell into the pit and, while trying to get back out, landed in Vox's lair and aggro'd her... hooray for FD!), my druid is 67.75, and my bard is 68.2, roughly. I'd like to get everyone to 71 soon because that level unlocks a lot of new level-restricted gear (Sypherr has a full suit of Elegant Defiant Plate and 2 new weapons waiting for him), but my SK's experience gain is starting to slow down and I don't know where the good leveling spots are anymore.

If I ever start 3-boxing, I'm not sure if I am going to do cleric/tank/wizard mercs or cleric/rogue/wizard mercs and have the SK tank. I know that my SK won't be able to out-tank a merc without very good gear and a ton of AA, but my SK puts out very little DPS and having him tank with a wizard merc nuking and a rogue merc backstabbing would certainly chew through the mobs faster. Little known fact, but bards do get a 55% percent slow song in the early 60's, and that's a lot of damage mitigation.

I see your point about getting lonely, but having a one-man group to do things with, for me, is very liberating. One thing that ended up putting me off of EQ years ago was having to group to do anything and having to waste time doing nothing while trying to get a group, and I don't like being dependant on people for something as simple as AA grinding or leveling. One thing that WoW did much better than EQ ever has is that any class can solo to max level (though some are better than others) and with the queues for instanced group content that teleport you to the dungeon automatically, you could be doing quests and exploring, go do an instanced dungeon, and then come right back to where you left off rather than sitting on your rear end for 2 hours in Seb because nobody wanted to group with druids. :P (Yes, I am a little bitter)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think its crazy I have to two box in order to be effective with my rogue. It is quite frustrating. I died in POF and am still pissed. BUT! My level 80 monk on another server is RIDICULOUS. Solod' Trakanon, and Gonna go mess up Sleepers/ToV tonight I think since he's ridiculously geared.

Stupid rogues.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Past 65 pretty much everyone needs a second box to be effective. The notable exceptions being certains classes with a shitload of AAs. (SKs and rangers, I'm lookin at you)

So don't feel bad. It's worth it for the second merc alone.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Okay, I'm going to ask for some input on this.

Well, Sypherr has been 68 for a while and Nylander made 68 tonight (thank you Pyotr - watching you pincushion a good portion of the Plane of Fire was hilarious, productive, and profitable). Kaverin, my SK, is 53. After experimenting I have learned that he can group and get experience with my higher level characters, so I would like to ask for suggestions how I can group him with Sy & Ny so that all 3 benefit. Right now, I am planning to have Sypherr grab a DPS merc (not sure which), Nylander keep his tank (kind of attached to the little froggy), and have Kaverin bring a cleric merc (because they don't directly attack the higher level mobs and I have Nylander for more healing) and just stay "dead" to avoid trouble while the other 2 PC's and 3 mercs do their thing.

Trouble is, I am not sure quite where to go. I was thinking Roost, or possibly go down to farm Juggs/Mycondis in Old Seb (which admittedly isn't great for the higher level lads, but good for a 53) because it's good money and I can keep an eye out for Trakanon as well. I'd like to be in a situation where all 3 PC's can advance in level but Kaverin, being 15 levels lower, will narrow the level gap over time. If anybody has any suggestions for places and/or methods, I am all ears. If and when Sy & Ny get to 71, I am going to put them on full AA until Kaverin catches them up.

Thank you for your input.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
A 68 bard and druid should be able to destroy the captain level of roost. You'll get "just ok" level xp but awesome AA xp and your SK will level quickly. The money is also outstanding.

I'd arrange it with the Bard and druid having a tank and healer and a rogue or wiz merc on the SK. Pull 5-6 mobs and aoe them down.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
how about paw at those levels? It might be hard to get in deep managing 3 boxes, but there are lots of spawns at the front you could do.

I did the same thing with a mage bot. I got him to a level where he could duo with Balee and then just used his pet as extra damage and his cleric merc to do some healing. It worked out rather well and the mage has leveled quickly. I think he's gained from 54 to 62 while Balee was still around 75.

Pretty_Llama
Nov 11, 2009
I would think you would be able to do Paw, but I didn't find the xp that great.

Gnolls in the Steppes? My wife and I have been there for a couple levels and they are pretty low hp and there are tons of them to chain pull.

Any good suggestions for a 71 ranger (500aas) and a 66 wizard (10 aas)with a tank/cleric merc? We're bored of the Steppes at this point.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
A lot of people will tell you The Hole. I'm not a fan, it's heavily contended and boring. Try the farm in Dragonscale Hills. The mobs will be red/yellow but they hit really weak ane have low hps. Just stick to the scarecrows, birds, and beetles...don't pull the clockworks they hit like dump trucks.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Well, I'm actually kind of on the fence about what mercs to choose, and I'm stuck with one slot per PC because I can't afford $15 each for extra merc slots. My SK is 52.99 (I hit 53 last night but ate a death in order to do Vox - still laughing that I fell into the pit and, while trying to get back out, landed in Vox's lair and aggro'd her... hooray for FD!), my druid is 67.75, and my bard is 68.2, roughly. I'd like to get everyone to 71 soon because that level unlocks a lot of new level-restricted gear (Sypherr has a full suit of Elegant Defiant Plate and 2 new weapons waiting for him), but my SK's experience gain is starting to slow down and I don't know where the good leveling spots are anymore.

If I ever start 3-boxing, I'm not sure if I am going to do cleric/tank/wizard mercs or cleric/rogue/wizard mercs and have the SK tank. I know that my SK won't be able to out-tank a merc without very good gear and a ton of AA, but my SK puts out very little DPS and having him tank with a wizard merc nuking and a rogue merc backstabbing would certainly chew through the mobs faster. Little known fact, but bards do get a 55% percent slow song in the early 60's, and that's a lot of damage mitigation.

I see your point about getting lonely, but having a one-man group to do things with, for me, is very liberating. One thing that ended up putting me off of EQ years ago was having to group to do anything and having to waste time doing nothing while trying to get a group, and I don't like being dependant on people for something as simple as AA grinding or leveling. One thing that WoW did much better than EQ ever has is that any class can solo to max level (though some are better than others) and with the queues for instanced group content that teleport you to the dungeon automatically, you could be doing quests and exploring, go do an instanced dungeon, and then come right back to where you left off rather than sitting on your rear end for 2 hours in Seb because nobody wanted to group with druids. :P (Yes, I am a little bitter)

Yeah I could just log in and immediately go to accomplishing things, whether it was camping gear or augs or just general xp. Everyone else is LFG and can't do poo poo in voa or even hot without a group but there I go. Was pretty sweet, if a guildie is LFG just drop a merc and plop them in there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ylide posted:

A 68 bard and druid should be able to destroy the captain level of roost. You'll get "just ok" level xp but awesome AA xp and your SK will level quickly. The money is also outstanding.

I'd arrange it with the Bard and druid having a tank and healer and a rogue or wiz merc on the SK. Pull 5-6 mobs and aoe them down.

The problem is that the level 53 wizard would have all of his spells fully or at least partially resisted by the higher-level mobs, and the rogue would have the same problem, doing little to no damage. Unless I am missing something, I think that Balee's suggestion is the better one. I'm quite familiar with the roost and Sypherr is already "keyed" to the royal level, but I would have to do the quests for Kaverin and Nylander. I think it's best if I give Kaverin a cleric merc (so that Nylander can focus on AA damage and not waste mana on healing) and have Sypherr pull with a wizard merc for more AA damage.

I will keep other suggestions in mind, but I must confess that I am hesitant to go back to the Steppes. I went in there just very recently and pulled a light-blue conning goblin near the zone-in. He brought a friend and my merc picked up one, but the other one came to me and killed Nylander in seconds, hitting for over 600 a go. That seems pretty ridiculous for a mob that is, at most, in its low 60's.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
You don't really need the SKs merc, that was really an afterthought. Your druid and bard should be able to plow through everything and level the SK. I bet you could get him into his low 60s in a day of playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are the DSHills decent for a 68 rogue to solo? Or should I hit the steppes? Or stay in PoF?