Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That big dumb chicken griffon thing is still being brought to the capital despite the fact I've done a few quests. Every time I go out exploring and walk by the soldiers and the body I always get nervous cause drat game, that thing is big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lotish posted:

I'm almost level 60 now, and cyclopes seem to have stepped up in terms of difficulty. The last two I fought never went down no matter how hard we hit them or where. They just kept trucking. I can only imagine there's some degree of level scaling going on but it's just not enough to keep up with how broken the Arisen can be.

I came across a Cyclops, set up ruinous sigil and a couple magick cannons. He walked into it and my mage shot fireballs and the game slowed to a crawl. The winning music played before the game visually displayed his health at 0 and had him go into his death animation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TescoBag posted:

So, has anyone got a support mage with ice/fire/holy affinity, that has utilitarian/medicant?

Honestly this is actually impossible to find. Pawns that the search finds are useless.
How much effort are you putting into examining pawns before you hire them and try them out? I generally begin with a level range search, then choose the one class I want to narrow it down to, and then I use the shoulder bumpers to pan through all of their abilities and make sure that the pawn generally has only the spells I want. Then, finally, I check out their personality and battle/helpfulness ratings.

I rarely get pawns which suck, although Guardian/Medicant fighters are pretty useless.

likecnsnnts posted:

Speaking of bashing Cyclopses on the head, how do you get a helmet off? My pawns seem to be able to do it, but I can never manage it.
If you shoot off their tusks they may knock their helmet off while they cry about their broken toof; it's easiest to just climb up on their shoulders and hang out when they aren't being pummeled too heavily by your party.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I just remembered a thing that happened while I was in Gran Soren yesterday. I'd just turned in a quest item and collected my reward and was still standing in the alehouse when I heard a scuffle. Two town guys started fist fighting right outside the alehouse. I ran over and talked to each of them thinking maybe it was a quest or something but nope, they just said their regular townsperson throwaway dialogue and walked off in opposite directions.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Do I ever get to fight the hydra proper? I just cut off one of its heads and suddenly it was gone after the movie that shows the head flying off. No retreat, it just disappeared. I saw that it had a LOT of healthbars, so I'm not sure what happened there.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

notZaar posted:

Do I ever get to fight the hydra proper? I just cut off one of its heads and suddenly it was gone after the movie that shows the head flying off. No retreat, it just disappeared. I saw that it had a LOT of healthbars, so I'm not sure what happened there.

It will ask for a rematch later in the game. No really, it posts a classified on one of those notice boards.

Single Hydra, looking for chewy Arisen and Pawns for revenge. Please apply...

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

TescoBag posted:

So, has anyone got a support mage with ice/fire/holy affinity, that has utilitarian/medicant?

Honestly this is actually impossible to find. Pawns that the search finds are useless.

My pawn is about level 58 and meets all of those save one, he doesn't have fire. He's guaranteed to use it when I'm fighting hellhounds and will not rebuff me with something else while its active so I just took it off him. I'm on PSN, 'ArcticZombies'.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 11, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

coyo7e posted:

Griffons piss me off so bad, they almost always get away from me. :(

I grabbed the griffin during the "chase" sequence at Blue Moon and it was clever enough to feed me to the brine.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Lotish posted:

I grabbed the griffin during the "chase" sequence at Blue Moon and it was clever enough to feed me to the brine.

I really wanna see someone bring a bunch of stamina restoring items, do the griffon hunt quest, and grab onto it as it flies to Blue <oon. I wanna see if someone can ride it the whole way there :allears:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
A direwolf cloak tops off the crusading knight look, and just down the corridor a matching one for my pawn! :gay:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

A direwolf cloak tops off the crusading knight look, and just down the corridor a matching one for my pawn! :gay:

For this drat game, someone has to make an emoticon that's between :gay: and :black101:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Is the strider the most agile ranged class in the game? I want to check out the other ranged vocations, but I would hate missing out on being so drat fast and evasive.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I wish these named bandits that I occasionally fight had more significance past 'they're a little harder and actually use abilities.' Are they actually other peoples' pawns that are just tossed at you as enemies here and there?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Assassin, Ranger and Magick Archer are just as agile if you use daggers.

Any ideas for what inclination to put on a Sorceror pawn? I was thinking Utilitarian as primary and Challenger for secondary.

Also, there are a bunch of augments that I'm not sure would work with Magick Archer skills or not.

Emphasis - 2 - 1,200 - Spell Knockdown increased
Articulacy - 9 - 9,000 - Spell casting 15% faster
Conservation - 7 - 6,000 - Magick-weapon skill stamina usage reduced by 15%

Any idea?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

fookolt posted:

Is the strider the most agile ranged class in the game? I want to check out the other ranged vocations, but I would hate missing out on being so drat fast and evasive.

Ranger is a little slower.

Assassin might be up there with Strider.

e: f, b

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, my nephew erased my saved game by mistake since he didn't know about the single save system in this game. Not much to do but to start over with a new character. I think I'll start out as a fighter in order to give myself some extra survivability in the early levels, even if I'll miss the swiss army knife that is the Strider.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Is there any way to take less wounding?

I think I just suck at this. I set out to do a quest but after the numerous bandit packs/harpies/etc my health bar and that of all my pawns is already at half of its max or worse by the time I even reach the objective. Really killing the enjoyment of the game having to start out then head back because there's no way to complete a mission. All my pawns consistently run in and die it seems (most of them are challenger profile). I'm running a mage pawn for healing, my main pawn is a tankish fighter, and my other is either a sorcerer or a strider type, and I'm currently around level 16 and about to go mystic knight - still a fighter right now.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Cbouncerrun posted:

Thanks, but what is the difference if you use bows?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You have two slots for weapons, primary and a secondary. Daggers are primary, bows are secondary. The core skills for daggers(double jump, dodge) are what make Striders so agile.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Cbouncerrun posted:

You have two slots for weapons, primary and a secondary. Daggers are primary, bows are secondary. The core skills for daggers(double jump, dodge) are what make Striders so agile.

Ah yeah, I'm aware of that. I just thought you meant that non-Striders are slower with bows.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Red87 posted:

I think I just suck at this. I set out to do a quest but after the numerous bandit packs/harpies/etc my health bar and that of all my pawns is already at half of its max or worse by the time I even reach the objective. Really killing the enjoyment of the game having to start out then head back because there's no way to complete a mission. All my pawns consistently run in and die it seems (most of them are challenger profile). I'm running a mage pawn for healing, my main pawn is a tankish fighter, and my other is either a sorcerer or a strider type, and I'm currently around level 16 and about to go mystic knight - still a fighter right now.

Hire higher level pawns to help that know the area or enemies.

Also, if a pawn dies it's fine. Just go aid it before it's permanent. They come back with a fair about of health and stamina. Use the healing stuff on yourself and don't worry too much about them.

Also, riftstones completely restore pawn health. So if you see one you can go into it and exit.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 11, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

fookolt posted:

Ah yeah, I'm aware of that. I just thought you meant that non-Striders are slower with bows.
Shortbows are the fastest bows yes, mostly thanks to the augment/core skills.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Holy crap. I didn't know this game existed until just now. Demon's/Dark souls are currently my two favorite games, so I'm pretty sure I need this in my life as soon as possible. I'm also a big fan of the DMC series, and Elder Scrolls. Everything I've read about this game makes it sounds like it was custom made for my tastes.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Red87 posted:

Just to be perfectly clear, you know that using healing items heals your wounding as well as your health? There's no reason not to go into a big fight with max health. You don't need to rest at an inn to recover max hp.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Codependent Poster posted:

Hire higher level pawns to help that know the area or enemies.

Also, if a pawn dies it's fine. Just go aid it before it's permanent. They come back with a fair about of health and stamina. Use the healing stuff on yourself and don't worry too much about them.

Also, riftstones completely restore pawn health. So if you see one you can go into it and exit.

I want to add that sometimes is better to have two fighters, rangers and one fighting/healing wizard instead of two wizard... and don't forget to chose wizards and 2 handed fighters with an higher knock-out resistance: having that split second just helps downing more critters. Just adjusting the balance sometimes helps a lot.

Also I had to do some grinding before being able to hit the northern bandit fort before sundown (and even then I avoided the second cyclops/bandit group). Don't be afraid to map, search plants and find a way to combine items to get dehydrated herbs, or to get meat from buffalos or to carry fish.

In the end don't forget to clear wizards, archers, assassins before warriors and giant monsters.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Cbouncerrun posted:

Any ideas for what inclination to put on a Sorceror pawn? I was thinking Utilitarian as primary and Challenger for secondary.
Scather/Challenger will work pretty well for a Sorceror. They're all about causing massive amounts of elemental damage, so combat-focused inclinations work best for them.

Cbouncerrun posted:

Also, there are a bunch of augments that I'm not sure would work with Magick Archer skills or not.

Emphasis - 2 - 1,200 - Spell Knockdown increased
Articulacy - 9 - 9,000 - Spell casting 15% faster
Conservation - 7 - 6,000 - Magick-weapon skill stamina usage reduced by 15%

Any idea?
I'm not certain about Emphasis or Conservation, but Articulacy does work.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Earlier in the thread I saw a guy post a pic of his/her warrior with over 2100 strength because of "stacking bonuses." I've got a lot of +Str gear and both Clout and Vehemence, but I still haven't cracked 1k. What's the secret?

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.
I took a quest to investigate a chalk man on a hill.

It turned out to be quite a bit further away than I had expected afternoon is passing when I leave the city.

So I passed a castle on the way and had a snoop around, nothing special but it has allowed evening to draw further in.

I save and press on thinking "if it all goes wrong, I can just load the save and come back at some other point".

So I press on, I spot in the distance a cyclops. So I think that must be the goal/target, no sweat, I reckon I can take a cyclops.

Just then I get bowled over and the screen flashes red. Almost a one hit kill, almost 900 hp gone in one hit.

Then I'm hearing howling and giant white wolves flashing past, there must be almost 10 at this point.

I'm trying to trip as many as I can just to give the casters some respite.

After much healing, herbs, potions, curse words and raging we finish off the 10 wolves, just in time to hear more howling, I haven't walked on 5 paces at this point.

More wolves! This goes on another 3-4 times, just more and more wolves, the gang is in bad shape now, so I run away from the path towards the cliff edge and run parallel to the path.

This seems to be working!

Screen goes red again, a few wolves have followed us.

I can't run away as we've stumbled into a patch of zombies! Christ.

I manage to finish off the zombies and wolves, more howls.

Screw it!

I run towards the cyclops, more wolves rush down to meet us from the hill beyond the cyclops.

I jump on the cyclops, this is the safest place all journey!

I'm hacking at it's neck, pawns are falling down all over, I'm picking them up.

The cyclops is sweeping the wolves with a flaming tree trunk!

The cyclops goes down before the bloody wolves do.

At this point I start to run for the castle until it's pointed out that the quest hasn't completed...the cyclops wasn't the target!

I run, trailing wolves to the standing stones and I'm met by a mysterious stranger...but no wolves.

Christ this game!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AggroJagg posted:

I jump on the cyclops, this is the safest place all journey!
Dragon's Dogma: I jump on the cyclops, this is the safest place all journey!

Also, Grapnel (the mage spell) works quite well on direwolves in the early game, before you and your pawns can reliably deal enough damage to stun or knockdown them. Their mobility is the biggest problem.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really, really wish the game autosaved every time you finished a fight and kept your last few saves. I inevitably get too excited in dangerous areas to remember to save and then suddenly a gargoyle permanently kills my only tank pawn and my last save is before I even entered Ragefire Chasm. :negative:

Petrification is bullshit, by the way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What are the must-have skills to get as a mage and sorcerer before I switch to magic archer/knight?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red87 posted:

Later on you can get a bunch of augments to reduce damage from various sources, but I imagine a big thing is that you're probably taking a lot of hits with your weapons put away (i.e. during/after sprinting). You take a bunch of extra damage if you get hit with weapons away - moreso than you would regularly. Assassins get an augment that reduces that significantly, but generally you want to be careful when you sprint near enemies and try to redraw your weapons whenever possible.

Another thing is that the game starts out really hard for some reason. At level 16 it can be nasty but by the time you're in the 30's things will feel a lot easier.

Mystic Knight is also a pretty hardy class (they get some nice damage reduction and blocking augments), so you may notice a difference as them as well.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Found first dragon. Fought it for a while and everything was going well until it mind tricked my pawn who then killed me in two shots from a longbow

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Samurai Sanders posted:

What are the must-have skills to get as a mage and sorcerer before I switch to magic archer/knight?

Acuity and Articulacy from Sorcerer, rank 9. At least for MA.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mystic Knight also has a shield ability that regains health with each block. So let that guy shoot arrows at you, he's helping!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What exactly does focused bolt do? What is an "enchantment" as far as it is concerned? If my staff has fire on it for example, and I hold square instead of just tapping it, it doesn't do anything different.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Rascyc posted:

Shortbows are the fastest bows yes, mostly thanks to the augment/core skills.

Ah, I see. Is the magick archer significantly slower with ranged attacks? I feel like the guide says they're actually faster.

I just want to play something that fucks poo poo up from range and is agile.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

What exactly does focused bolt do? What is an "enchantment" as far as it is concerned? If my staff has fire on it for example, and I hold square instead of just tapping it, it doesn't do anything different.

You need to hold it down for a really long time - you'll know when it's been long enough. The other staff skill is like that too.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I know this has come up a few times but I can't remember where exactly the information is buried, so for trials and tribulations How do I get an innocent verdict? I already have one innocent affadavit from reynard

RME fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Red87 posted:

As Cheshire Cat said the game does start stupidly hard; I had some frustrating times (especially the drat armies of bandits all over the place).

But I just got to around level 25 and once you are even in the 20s you get some breathing room (at least in the early areas)and it becomes less terrifying to walk anywhere.

I remember just blasting bandits in the face with arrows and wondering why it didn't hurt them at all while even the most basic enemies would kill me with between 1-3 hits.

• Locked thread