Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Dr Solway Garr posted:

I'm mashing refresh on the apple store. How long does it usually take for it to come up again?

The home page was updated, so it hopefully won't be too long now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/desktops.html

Any changes? New laptops reflected...

No 17 inch :(

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

So where can I get a <256gb flash drive for less than $800?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Small White Dragon posted:

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/desktops.html

Any changes? New laptops reflected...

No 17 inch :(

No real need with the new 15" is there?

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
Oh wow it looks like them new MacBook pro can be configured to 16gb but the normal one only goes up to 8gb.

That's a game changer for me.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Best thread title!

Someone pointed out in the WWDC thread, upcoming features include going fullscreen on any monitor as well!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

:f5: I want to see what the upgrades are going to cost

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if you can actually plug three monitors into the new MBP. It has HDMI and two Thunderbolt ports.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So, what are the chances that the new Macbook has Target Display Mode?

Also, I would love to see a size comparison of the 13inch to the next gen MacBook.

I don't know if I can go back to 15inch again...

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

cbirdsong posted:

I wonder if you can actually plug three monitors into the new MBP. It has HDMI and two Thunderbolt ports.

I thought thunderbolt was two monitors each. So couldn't you have five monitors hooked up? Two on each TB and one in the HDMI?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

badjohny posted:

I thought thunderbolt was two monitors each. So couldn't you have five monitors hooked up? Two on each TB and one in the HDMI?

True! I was thinking purely of non-$800 monitors.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
No updates to iMacs, Mac Minis, or Mac Pros.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Dr Solway Garr posted:

Oh wow it looks like them new MacBook pro can be configured to 16gb but the normal one only goes up to 8gb.

That's a game changer for me.

I'm pretty sure the old ones can use 16gb despite their claims.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

No updates to iMacs, Mac Minis, or Mac Pros.

Store just came up and there is a big "new" above the mac pro. running slow so I can't load it up yet.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm pretty sure the old ones can use 16gb despite their claims.

Yes, all 2011 MBPs can take 16GB.

I can get 8GB in my 2009 Aluminum MacBook.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

For non-Retina-Ready (or whatever it's called) apps, basically being stuck at 1440x900, it would be funny if the MBPTNG is actually worse than the regular 15" Pro with the hi-res option

:argh: I'm still pissed about the 1280x800 13"

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

For non-Retina-Ready (or whatever it's called) apps, basically being stuck at 1440x900, it would be funny if the MBPTNG is actually worse than the regular 15" Pro with the hi-res option

:argh: I'm still pissed about the 1280x800 13"

They said there will be pixel doubling for non ready apps-- just like they do for iOS devices. It should work well enough.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

badjohny posted:

Store just came up and there is a big "new" above the mac pro. running slow so I can't load it up yet.

Mac Pro is a pretty incremental update, according to the Verge.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009
No I mean according to their website now, the new normal mbp's can only be ordered with up to 8gb ram. And it also has a geforce 650m, so it's definitely the new one. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it's odd.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

So no Retina Cinema Display?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

They said there will be pixel doubling for non ready apps-- just like they do for iOS devices. It should work well enough.

I know - effectively turning it into a 1440x900 laptop for all but a few apps.

The fonts etc in things like Safari will be sharper and not just doubled, right?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently there's a 3 to 5 week delay if you want a 768GB flash drive. :(

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Space Racist posted:

Mac Pro is a pretty incremental update, according to the Verge.

Ya. I looked it over and could not even see what was new. CPU I think. Does not look like TB is on them or USB3.

Might be the last time we see an update to the Mac Pro...

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

"Sculpted cavities", says Sir Jony of the fans in TNG MBP video.

Sculpted cavities. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dr Solway Garr posted:

No I mean according to their website now, the new normal mbp's can only be ordered with up to 8gb ram. And it also has a geforce 650m, so it's definitely the new one. I guess it's not a huge deal, but it's odd.

You couldn't upgrade to 16GB before (on the Apple website), could you?

The Air 8GB upgrade is $100 which is reasonable I guess. And the i7 upgrade is $150.

But, 256GB Flash Storage [Add $300.00]

Ugh.

edit: 8GB Pro upgrade is only $100 now too.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 11, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Ugh, is 256gb going to be enough? I was going to order the base retina and upgrade the SSD but they won't let you.

Desjardy
Aug 11, 2010
Has there been any mention of when the new retina Macbook Pros will be available in stores? I know that they have said it "ships today" but I assume that is only from online orders.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So is there basically no chance for the retina display to head towards the 13" MBP due to hardware and space limitations?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
After ordering from the store, it just went right back to my cart and no order was registered. Now I can't go to the checkout. Take an introductory class about programming and how to allocate server resources for peak situations, guys! It just never changes.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

cbirdsong posted:

Specs page says yes. Full native res on built in display and up to two 2560x1600 external displays using VGA, dvi, dual link dvi adapters or native MDP.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

So is there basically no chance for the retina display to head towards the 13" MBP due to hardware and space limitations?

Feature debut -> time-tested unit sales and adoption -> standard feature. I'm sure Haswell or Broadwell or whatever proper Ivy Bridge successor will clear away any performance questions computin' for 4x res.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Apple Store posted:

There may be some items in your cart that qualify for a discount. Please refresh this page in your browser. If the issue persists, please try again later or call the Apple Store at 1-800-MY-APPLE.
Over and over again... :argh:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Fuuuuck yeah, thank you for not disappointing me, Apple. There's a laptop that will last me another five years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

13" in the new form factor in a year?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The new Air looks like just what I want. Awesome.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Small White Dragon posted:

Over and over again... :argh:

Same thing. The store must be run by the C team.

Also, in your face to all the people who said "they're going to wait for ML to release new hardware".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh man, just made myself poorer as soon as they announced the price of that retina display model. Pretty good for their servers, went through without any problems, except for double guessing myself.

A little disappointed it's $600 more for double the storage space though. And I know that the HD space can't be updated normally. But whatever, I'm turning the old Hackintosh into a Windows 7 file server, and that's where the movie files are going.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah, the au$700 I saved by buying the base model just went to 4x 3TB drives instead. Time to set up FreeNAS.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kind of a disappointing reveal, at least for my purposes. It'd be great if I could afford the new MBP, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I just got excited because I realized that the 650M performs almost as well as the 5750 (or maybe better, I don't know) that I was going to connect to my MBA via thunderbolt. I would probably be better off just buying the MBP:TNG rather than wasting $400 on thunderbolt eGPU stuff.