Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

God drat it, Apple. Just take all my money already! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
About time! I ordered the 3.33ghz 6-core Mac Pro. Could anyone with a better understanding of the matter than me tell me, or recommend, what third-party RAM I need to order? In the past I've always used OWC memory kits, and they've worked fantastically, but they don't have anything for the newest generation yet (obviously).

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.
Pretty much every international Apple store has updated except the Canadian store.

I want to die. :suicide:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gribble posted:

About time! I ordered the 3.33ghz 6-core Mac Pro. Could anyone with a better understanding of the matter than me tell me, or recommend, what third-party RAM I need to order? In the past I've always used OWC memory kits, and they've worked fantastically, but they don't have anything for the newest generation yet (obviously).

Should be the same stuff - the specs for the Pro says "1066MHz or 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Captain Geech posted:

Pretty much every international Apple store has updated except the Canadian store.

I know, jesus....

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Hovermoose posted:

God drat it, Apple. Just take all my money already! :argh:

I got into the live chat after ten minutes or so of waiting and the trick was to take out the gift card from the order. They said they'd send it later but it already subtracted $100 from the order.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

flavor posted:

I got into the live chat after ten minutes or so of waiting and the trick was to take out the gift card from the order. They said they'd send it later but it already subtracted $100 from the order.
The EDU bug appears to be fixed now.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Captain Geech posted:

It's finally up! :huh:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Ordered the Retina MBP with 2.7ghz and 12gb ram. It came with the 512ssd default so that made that choice easy. Waiting on confirmation email now :f5:.

I can't believe all of the rumors came true about this machine. I'm interested to see what running Windows on it will be like as well.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

if it breeds it leads fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 31, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You're free to swap out the hard drive, optical drive and the ram on your MBP currently though?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tuna posted:

Ordered the Retina MBP with 2.7ghz and 12gb ram. It came with the 512ssd default so that made that choice easy. Waiting on confirmation email now :f5:.
12GB? I only see options for 8 and 16.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mowhonic posted:

None of the current MacBook Pros are able to be user upgraded? I find it silly that a non-retina MBP with 256gb SSD is more expensive than a retina MBP with 256gb "Flash", plus 8GB extra RAM and more graphics memory. What the gently caress?

You can throw all the NewEgg RAM/SSD's you want in a non-retina MBP

Captain Geech
Mar 14, 2008

I've made a huge mistake.

terriyaki posted:

It's finally up! :huh:

It is... and I just bought a new retina MacBook Pro. Should be here in a couple weeks.

I don't get toys like this very often, so I'm pretty excited about this. :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Very late realization on my part:

Intel network adapters are beloved on most OSes and PCs for their quality and driver support. Yet Apple has been shipping Broadcom adapters on their portables almost exclusively, despite the Intel MAC included in each and every single PCH since Sandy Bridge (and possibly older, if they used the right the 5-series SKU).

Did Apple just get access from Broadcom that they couldn't from Intel to write their drivers for OS X? Or maybe Broadcom has better power-management support?

This will get buried in our :gizz:ing over MBP:TNG, but thought I would mention it if there's some really obvious reason I'm missing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doesn't the Broadcom support suck under FreeBSD (or at least it did, there was no support for a Dell R300 we had with them)?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

mowhonic posted:

None of the current MacBook Pros are able to be user upgraded? I find it silly that a non-retina MBP with 256gb SSD is more expensive than a retina MBP with 256gb "Flash", plus 8GB extra RAM and more graphics memory. What the gently caress?

You mean the $2199 MBP with the non-retina display, right? I agree - it's hard to see why that model would be worth buying compared to the one with the high-res display. I guess you might really need that extra .3 GHz?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Gawd, I was really hoping for 15" Air. My keyboard on my late-2008 MacBook Pro doesn't work anymore, but I'm contemplating getting it fixed and adding some more RAM to it, that might add a year or so to its lifespan.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Totally torn between the upper model non-Retina MBP with the 1680x1050 upgrade vs the base model MBPTNG.

:sigh:

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Eight Is Legend posted:

Gawd, I was really hoping for 15" Air. My keyboard on my late-2008 MacBook Pro doesn't work anymore, but I'm contemplating getting it fixed and adding some more RAM to it, that might add a year or so to its lifespan.

the MBP:TNG is pretty much a 15" Air, unless you were looking for a 15" Air that followed the Air price structure.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The new non-retina macbook pros don't have the thinner design, right? Disappointed, I'll probably go for the air then...

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

12GB? I only see options for 8 and 16.

Oops I meant 16, there is indeed no 12gb option. Confirmation email arrived, says it's arriving sometime between June 21-25.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes it is thinner than the current MBP, it is within .3 inches of the Air, but is not tapered like the Air

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So how does the HD 4000 GPU compare to the HD 3000?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

terriyaki posted:

Totally torn between the upper model non-Retina MBP with the 1680x1050 upgrade vs the base model MBPTNG.
Retina 1680x1050 (so 3360x2100) is what I really wanted in a 16. They'll probably offer that in a revision or two :p

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Ok how easy is it to add RAM and swap out the hard drive in a MBP (not the retina one obviously) because I'm going to order one next week but I don't want to pay for the extra RAM or the SSD when it'll be cheaper just to get it from Newegg.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Space Racist posted:

So how does the HD 4000 GPU compare to the HD 3000?

Favorably. Google for benchmarks. I have it in a PC and it's not what you'd want for high gaming. The consensus was something like "Intel has made a GPU that's not horrible".

It'll be suitable for 13" customers that aren't already driven away by 1280x800.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Daric posted:

Ok how easy is it to add RAM and swap out the hard drive in a MBP (not the retina one obviously) because I'm going to order one next week but I don't want to pay for the extra RAM or the SSD when it'll be cheaper just to get it from Newegg.

Super easy and basically risk-free. I've done it several times on a 2009 13" and a 2011 17" Just don't mention it in a thread called "switching back" or people will get butthurt.

To add: You'll need a screwdriver that's mentioned in the manual and costs about $2-5.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also a torx bit. I use a #00 philips and a T6 torx if you want to do the hard drive. You can be in and out of a hardware store with the stuff for under 5 bux

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Hmmm. So what is up with this retina? If an application hasn't been optimized for it do I have to hover a magnifying glass over everything?

Also curious if these are going to run hot based some previous ivy bridge/macbook pro's.

Edit: holy crap I want one.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Found something to be legit disappointed about: from the pictures it doesn't seem the new Air or the new RMBP has a place to plug in a cable lock. I work in an office where our options are either a) cable lock or b) enormous locking cage for the laptop to sit in. I've used, and much preferred, A; I would hate to have to go with B because of this.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You mean the $2199 MBP with the non-retina display, right? I agree - it's hard to see why that model would be worth buying compared to the one with the high-res display. I guess you might really need that extra .3 GHz?

No, I mean the 2.3ghz 1799 model. The base version + add 256gb ssd = 2299. More expensive than MBP:TNG and much less spec wise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mowhonic posted:

No, I mean the 2.3ghz 1799 model. The base version + add 256gb ssd = 2299. More expensive than MBP:TNG and much less spec wise.

They are kind of different products. The 1799 has easily upgradeable RAM and hard drive. With the Retina you're stuck forever.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Is there a technical reason why the 13" didn't get a retina update or is it just not that practical an application?

Slightly disappointed as I was hoping to get a 13" since all my bags are made to fit them.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Mu Zeta posted:

With the Retina you're stuck forever.

This might be a massive sticking point for me :( Argh.

All I wanted was a simple iMac upgrade and now I'm considering replacing my 2008 MBP instead.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Very late realization on my part:

Intel network adapters are beloved on most OSes and PCs for their quality and driver support. Yet Apple has been shipping Broadcom adapters on their portables almost exclusively, despite the Intel MAC included in each and every single PCH since Sandy Bridge (and possibly older, if they used the right the 5-series SKU).

Did Apple just get access from Broadcom that they couldn't from Intel to write their drivers for OS X? Or maybe Broadcom has better power-management support?

I imagine its due to cost, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel simply charged more money to use the Intel MAC than Broadcom does for an entire IC. Its not driver related as Intel NICs have working OSX drivers and the integrated Intel ethernet works fine on my hackintosh without any effort on my part.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

They are kind of different products. The 1799 has easily upgradeable RAM and hard drive. With the Retina you're stuck forever.

or stuck with a extremely expensive and limited range of thunderbolt products

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Great Enoch posted:

Is there a technical reason why the 13" didn't get a retina update or is it just not that practical an application?

Slightly disappointed as I was hoping to get a 13" since all my bags are made to fit them.
Apple has a habit of rolling out updates to the 15 inch models first.

I expect you'll see a 13 inch with a retina display, it's a question of "when."

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O
Apparently the Retina 15" is IPS.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

a bad poster yall posted:

This might be a massive sticking point for me :( Argh.

All I wanted was a simple iMac upgrade and now I'm considering replacing my 2008 MBP instead.

The cost of SSDs is what gives me pause about the Retina model. When I bought a 256gig Crucial M4 last year they were $330 when on sale. You can regularly find them for $180 now on Newegg or Amazon. By next year I bet 512gig SSDs will be under $300. By that time I'll feel like a sucker for not being able to upgrade the SSD.