Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:

Random Stranger posted:

Pitch me an episode that the SA Team has worked on that a new viewer should watch.

#64 - Sonic the Hedgehog. Right off the bat you get Arino pranking the audience and staff to set the mood, there's a clear progression in his skill from beginning to end, it goes down-to-the-wire (of course), and there's a feature on the 'GCCX Museum' from early 2008, putting the spotlight on notable staff members, the first DS game, and mementos of past challenges. Also, there's a great bumper for the Cannes (France) episode at the end.

Also also, let's not forget The Curious Introduction Of Mr Nakayama (ft. "Ponkoron"). This alone would be worth the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

zari-gani posted:

:3: Gotta admit, I truly appreciate comments like that, especially towards something I know not everyone likes.

For what it's worth, I just started watching this show last night and I love those little touches. It makes the translation feel more natural, and it's funnier.

I wish I could visit all of these arcades and game shops they travel to. At the very least, I wish we had more stuff like that in the US.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
My favorite episodes:

Ghosts N' Goblins: Arino does the classic trilogy and all 3 episodes are great. Great episode, but not the best of the three. My favorite is Ghouls N' Ghosts. Introduces Arino's hate of dragons and flying enemies. One of the few games Arino deems as totally difficult.

Megaman 3: I love all the Megaman Challenges, but this is my favorite of the 3 subbed. Arino learns from the previous 2 he played and showed shome great moments in the episode. But Arino still manages to make the same mistakes in each Megaman game. I reccomend all the Megaman challenges, but this ones is tops. Can't wait for 4 to be subbed and 5 in the future.

Yu Yu No Quiz de Go! Go!: All the quiz episodes are great as it brings the staff together to play the game with Arino. The Yu Yu episodes is my favorite as it involves more of the staff than the other quiz episodes. Recommend all the quiz episodes.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

My favorite untranslated episode is in those last three remaining episodes. You guys are in for a treat.

Well maybe not favorite since I have trouble pinning things down that far. But top three definitely.

Are you refering to episode 100 where he plays Wrecking Crew. For episode 100, there are also some great special moments.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

:3: Gotta admit, I truly appreciate comments like that, especially towards something I know not everyone likes.

I take notice of this as well. It is easy enough to spot with quality translators because you guys won't throw that flavor in there if it isn't actually coming from the source. It is clear that Arino maintains a very light, relaxed environment when he plays games so it makes sense that his speech follows the same and your translations definitely show it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Sorry, she's taken. Watanabe got married after leaving the show and now works with her husband as a jeweler.

Wait, are you sure? She's still listed as an employee of the Gascoin Company, talks about location scouting and she recently says in her Twitter she now works on a TV show called OMOJAPAN. I don't see any mention of a husband either.
Incidentally, Emoto sells jewelry these days.

Crotch Bat posted:

It is clear that Arino maintains a very light, relaxed environment when he plays games so it makes sense that his speech follows the same and your translations definitely show it.

Thank you! It's not just that, but the Kansai dialect involves shortening words and dropping syllables and is regarded as a rather improper, sometimes borderline rude way of talking, so I feel it's a good English equivalent. Also the distinction between casual speech and formal speech is important in Japanese and I try my best to show it.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 11, 2012

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Wait, are you sure? She's still listed as an employee of the Gascoin Company, talks about location scouting and she recently says in her Twitter she now works on a TV show called OMOJAPAN. I don't see any mention of a husband either.

"Omo"? Something to do with toys, then? :raise:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

As in "omoshiroi" (fun, funny, amusing, etc.). Upon further research it's actually OMOJAN, a Fuji TV show hosted by Matsumoto of Downtown. It's a word game where two words are put together to form a new term.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

Thank you! It's not just that, but the Kansai dialect involves shortening words and dropping syllables and is regarded as a rather improper, sometimes borderline rude way of talking, so I feel it's a good English equivalent. Also the distinction between casual speech and formal speech is important in Japanese and I try my best to show it.

It definitely shows. And yea, I've always though of Kansai dialect as the Japanese equivalent to Southern English so it echoes well with me.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

It definitely shows. And yea, I've always though of Kansai dialect as the Japanese equivalent to Southern English so it echoes well with me.

The funny part is, even non-Kansai comedians begin to adopt the dialect for their shows, since the dialect is strongly associated with comedy.

Imagine every US-Comedian speaking in a Texan drawl.

But yeah, I can't stress enough how good the translation work is. I'm not even sure I spotted a typo or something, and it flows drat well.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

Every professionally translated manga or game I've seen with a Kansai character, they've been turned southern, so it seems to be an industry standard. I don't go as far as using southern US jargon though, like "reckon" or "y'all," except for the Kansai guy in Night of the Sickle Weasel just to show how over-the-top Kansai that game made him. I think the staff was laughing at Arino reading his lines. I don't think I'll ever get to use "What in tarnation?" again.

Random Stranger posted:

Pitch me an episode that the SA Team has worked on that a new viewer should watch.

Choosing episodes for new people to watch is tough. Many, many of my all-time faves are in the Kotaku 12/Discotek 17. (At least the DVD will make a good gift for a GCCX newbie?) And there are a lot of fantastic episodes that I feel are better watched after getting familiar with some of the staff members and the way the show works, such as Quiz: The Feudal Lord's Ambition. Also, everyone gets something different out of the show, and I like to recommend episodes based on what the viewer likes best (as seen here). So a starter episode should show a good range of what the show involves.

My picks:

Adventure Island - This one has yet to fail me as an episode to get someone interested in GCCX. It's a great starter for several reasons: one, the game is truly unfair and hard, so it gives a new viewer a real sense of "oh god, how many times has he played this part?!" "this game is impossible! He has the patience of a saint!" Two, it's an early episode so there aren't any inside jokes, nor is knowledge of certain staff members required. Three, it follows a very basic GCCX flow -- Arino suffers, checks the manual, AD steps in to help and even buys food for him, Arino gets stuck on a single spot. Last but not least, that infamous ending that shows how serious this program is about getting to the end of the game.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja - It's a great-looking game so I think it makes it fun even for non-gamers to follow. Again, there's not much prior knowledge of the show needed, and the team-up between Arino and Inoue in this one is hilarious.

And then I branch off into preference-based picks shown in my post I linked to. If I ever do one of the episodes TV-Nihon has done already, Ghosts'n Goblins would be first for sure. That's another great starter episode.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

And then I branch off into preference-based picks shown in my post I linked to. If I ever do one of the episodes TV-Nihon has done already, Ghosts'n Goblins would be first for sure. That's another great starter episode.

I hope the other Makaimura games get translated soon. I thought that Ghouls N' Ghosts was going to be a Clover sub, but looks like clover is done subbing.I love all the shows featuring Capcom game which is alot by the way. They seem to give him a lot of trouble.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Maybe I got my wires crossed. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

zari-gani posted:

Every professionally translated manga or game I've seen with a Kansai character, they've been turned southern, so it seems to be an industry standard.

I've always considered the Kansai accent as more of a Brooklyn accent. They seem to fit part of the same niche culturally: "This guy is from a rougher, more blue collar background than the rest of the cast." The southern accent in the US is also cultural shorthand for "rural" which makes the Brooklyn accent connect better in my opinion. Brooklyn also connects with a bit with the US's comedy accent since that's also from the New York City area (though that's decades out of style).

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

As a word of warning the next episode that I'm doing has a moment not for the weak of stomach. I have to go through it with just the audio initially so I didn't notice anything wrong at first but now that I'm working against the video I just hit a moment that made me wince.

...oh my. Perhaps you could spoiler it when you release it? I've only ever seen one thing on Japanese TV that made me wince (if you've seen the Downtown Test Your Luck onsen tour, you know what it is), but perhaps knowing its coming is safer.

Hymirvetr posted:

The funny part is, even non-Kansai comedians begin to adopt the dialect for their shows, since the dialect is strongly associated with comedy.

Imagine every US-Comedian speaking in a Texan drawl.

It's happened before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

...oh my. Perhaps you could spoiler it when you release it? I've only ever seen one thing on Japanese TV that made me wince (if you've seen the Downtown Test Your Luck onsen tour, you know what it is), but perhaps knowing its coming is safer.

It's during the arcade trip segment which is to a fishing pond. Arino goes fishing there and hooks one of the fish in the eye. They give you a nice close up of the fish with an arrow pointing to where it is hooked.

The images could have been a lot worse but injury to the eye is one of those things that can easily put people off even when it's only to a fish.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I can't think of anything from that LINCOLN except the prawns cut in half but still moving.

Or Udo's bare rear end.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 11, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's during the arcade trip segment which is to a fishing pond. Arino goes fishing there and hooks one of the fish in the eye. They give you a nice close up of the fish with an arrow pointing to where it is hooked.

The images could have been a lot worse but injury to the eye is one of those things that can easily put people off even when it's only to a fish.

If it is the episode I think it is, it is a familiar NES game. I saw the raw of that episode and remember that Tamage moment as it one of the rare fishing Tamagae segments.

Hint to what I guess is the next episode:
Sequel to a popular 1 or 2 player arcade game with many ports. The sequel which he is playing was not as good as the original, but still a good NES game.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 11, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

joek0 posted:

Hint to what I guess is the nesxt episode:
Sequel to a popular 1 or 2 player arcade game with many ports. The sequel which he is playing was not as good as the original, but still a good NES game.

That's almost certainly going to be Double Dragon II

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

redmercer posted:

There is no episode for that game. Are you joking? I'm guessing that you are.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

redmercer posted:

The answer is Tetris

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Random Stranger posted:

I'm afraid of fish, so seeing that happen on screen would probably make me never watch this show again. Jesus. I can't thank you enough for that warning. I had enough of a hard time trying to act cool when I was in Japan and they serve you like an entire loving fish on a plate, skin face and all.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Regarding the spoiled thing: maybe add a disclaimer to the beginning of the video, or before the segment in question, like one of those 'viewer discretion is advised' things? So people know to skip ahead?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I truly don't think it warrants a warning like that. You can barely see what's going on, and despite having the same sensitivity as Random Stranger, I had no problem with it. Screencap of the part in question.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Poor guy. :smithfrog:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, poo poo, you learn something new every day. Yoiko is ゐ, not い, haha.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

FredMSloniker posted:

Regarding the spoiled thing: maybe add a disclaimer to the beginning of the video, or before the segment in question, like one of those 'viewer discretion is advised' things? So people know to skip ahead?

I haven't seen the episode in question but I think anyone who has ever been fishing and seen a fish being gutted has seen worse. I'm not exactly an old nature-dweller myself, but I have a hard time imagining people being quite THAT sheltered. Unless it's an outright phobia like with one of the people here, of course. And no I'm not going to spoiler this you people are being silly. :colbert:

zari-gani posted:

I truly don't think it warrants a warning like that. You can barely see what's going on, and despite having the same sensitivity as Random Stranger, I had no problem with it. Screencap of the part in question.

Yeah, seems like a really extreme reaction for something that small. All this spoilering made me imagine a lot worse.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Kanfy posted:

And no I'm not going to spoiler this you people are being silly. :colbert:

Still! Still! I like to go in FRESH!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

zari-gani posted:

OK I'm the guy afraid of fish and it really isn't all that bad at all.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Kanfy posted:

I haven't seen the episode in question but I think anyone who has ever been fishing and seen a fish being gutted has seen worse. I'm not exactly an old nature-dweller myself, but I have a hard time imagining people being quite THAT sheltered. Unless it's an outright phobia like with one of the people here, of course. And no I'm not going to spoiler this you people are being silly. :colbert:

Yeah, seems like a really extreme reaction for something that small. All this spoilering made me imagine a lot worse.

The spoiler request was in case it was show sequence or gag specific, not if it was gross. Not to mention that none of us knew what Random Stranger was talking about, so asking for a warning was more a cautious shot in the dark than a plea for help.

Looking at it, it's not that bad, if certainly wince-worthy. I get why it could be an eye trigger.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I agree with everyone; it's not worth a warning on the video but like I said, it made me wince so I thought I'd mention it here.

And I was using spoilers because it's an episode people will be watching in a few days not because of an added squeemish barrier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Going back to favorite episodes, I always feel like I have to go back to Wai-wai World from the tv-nihon days, at least for top three. Mostly because it brings in the "puts down the controller" thing in truly cruel schadenfreudian* form :v:

*gently caress you that's a word

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Unfortunately it turns out that school in Australia couldn't manage to translate the Princess Tomato ep. They got ten minutes in before the most interested students had to graduate. So it's up for grabs now. Rejoice, Percy fans! That episode may be subbed soon, because I'm going to start filling in the gaps!

Random Stranger, in the OP's episode do you think you could alter the titles of the episodes that aren't available due to licensing? Italicize them or put an asterisk next to them, something like that, just so people are aware we can't fansub them?
(and also because they always trip me up when I'm scanning the list to see what hasn't been translated yet)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Random Stranger, in the OP's episode do you think you could alter the titles of the episodes that aren't available due to licensing? Italicize them or put an asterisk next to them, something like that, just so people are aware we can't fansub them?
(and also because they always trip me up when I'm scanning the list to see what hasn't been translated yet)

Yeah, I can do that for you. But only because it's you.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

zari-gani posted:

Unfortunately it turns out that school in Australia couldn't manage to translate the Princess Tomato ep. They got ten minutes in before the most interested students had to graduate. So it's up for grabs now. Rejoice, Percy fans! That episode may be subbed soon, because I'm going to start filling in the gaps!

aaaaaaaAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

zari-gani posted:

I remember that game from way back. I had just finished getting slaughtered in a plethora of ways in Shadowgate and the same format with a very different tone confused the hell out of me.

By the way, I just found this thread randomly and I'm now completely addicted. I'm not at all a fan of anime or anything else even really remotely like this, but for some reason this has charmed the hell out of me. Thanks a ton for all the work you all have put in.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I like a lot of the suggestions people have already made, so I'll add this one:

Milon's Secret Castle. The game isn't especially hard, but it's another early episode (so not many in-jokes) and it features one of Arino's famous "continue fails," which are always hilarious. Also, Arino screwing himself over when he runs away from the bosses one too many times and falling to a previous floor.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I tried making a good write up about it but kept making it sound hokey so here's my simple recommendation:

Densha de Go!

I cannot properly describe why this episode is so entertaining, so this picture will have to do it for me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Arino asking if Abe is about to drift the train gets me every time.

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

cronox2 posted:

I tried making a good write up about it but kept making it sound hokey so here's my simple recommendation:

Densha de Go!

I cannot properly describe why this episode is so entertaining, so this picture will have to do it for me.

The Densha de Go! episode I'd recommend as well.
I'd love to play that in the arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

joek0 posted:

Downloading raw of Captain Tsubasa episode now and hope to have it uploaded on my YT channel by Sunday night. Can someone translate the next episode hint.

http://imgur.com/OceIo,MQYOv

If it wasn't obvious from the episode preview, he'll be continuing Captain Tsubasa.