Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Agreed, it looks just like the MBA hard drive.

Form factor of the PCB looks way different. The MBA one is like a long stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

hannibal posted:

Looks removable to me. The silver part just to the right of the chips is the socket. You can see the edge of the PCB as well if you look closely. The socket looks similar to the one in iFixit's teardown of the Air. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Solid-State-Drive/6371/2

But, will you be able to buy another drive elsewhere with the same form factor? (I've never owned a computer with an SSD so I have no idea if they are standard sizes like regular hard disks are)

Also; can these processors be run with hyperthreading?

I was also hoping for a new iMac today, but I'm considering this new MBP once a few details become confirmed (mainly whether or not the SSD can be removed).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

The Born Approx. posted:

But, will you be able to buy another drive elsewhere with the same form factor? (I've never owned a computer with an SSD so I have no idea if they are standard sizes like regular hard disks are)

I was also hoping for a new iMac today, but I'm considering this new MBP once a few details become confirmed (mainly whether or not the SSD can be removed).

Me too. It's absurd to pay for the 512G right now, but I imagine it'll get quite a bit cheaper in 18 months or so. I really REALLY hope the drat thing is removable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Born Approx. posted:

I'd say it's likely OWC will release something, but I'm sure it will cost at least $900.

The Born Approx. posted:

Yup.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'm surprised there's no :argh: posts about the Mac Pro update, the chips they got bumped with are still the last generation parts, just faster clocks than before with some other minor spec/pricing tweaks.  I guess it was just a minimal "we're not killing the Mac Pro!" update going by this:
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/an-explanation-of-the-news-from-apple/?pagewanted=all

quote:

Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro. An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013.
(I still expect an Ivy Bridge bump for the iMacs soon though, just posting that for the Mac Pro part)

morothar posted:

Does anyone have benchmarks for the 2.3 vs 2.6 handy? I'm trying to figure out if the CPU spec bump is worth the extra cash.
If the chips have the same features (usually the case with MBPs in the past) then the difference is pretty much linear with clock speed.  So at the base clock there, 2.6 will be 11.5% faster.  They also have turbo clock speeds which I think keep the same clock difference, so I guess the difference would be smaller percentage wise as they ramp up.

So if you need justification for going one way or the other just ask yourself whether 10% is enough of a difference for you.  Or just wait for reviews, maybe the 2.6 clocks up higher or something, I don't know the CPU model numbers to be able to tell.

Bob Morales posted:

I always forget how razor sharp Retina text is, then I look at my iPad. If I could have that kind of display in my Terminal windows or code... I could probably go down 4 font sizes.
If you have a VNC app you can scale the Mac down on the iPad to see how tiny text can go :v:.  My display is 1920x1200 and I just leave it zoomed out on my iPad unless I'm chatting or something, it's usable enough but pretty drat small.  If your eyes can handle it for long periods then you can go to town with it if the software renders stuff correctly.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

It's gonna be a long 4 weeks

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bob Morales posted:

Form factor of the PCB looks way different. The MBA one is like a long stick.

Of course, but it's the same idea.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

I guess it was just a minimal "we're not killing the Mac Pro!" update

It's already dead

:emo:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

jink posted:

Welp, just bought a MBPR to replace my 2010 15". I've been waiting for a better screen (IPS) and more RAM as I do photography and use VMs at work. 768GB/16GB here I come! :D

I am hoping the improved cooling system makes for better lap temperatures. My current MacBook can't be used on my lap without some sort of lap 'desk'. Too much heat!

Looks like ship times are 2-3 weeks out regardless of the configuration.

Mine says "Preparing for shipment". This is just to counter that, I'm NOT going to post updates of all my details so as to not annoy (even more).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

When and why would they be proud of the battery being in one piece, especially after the unibody redesign?

I may be wrong and it's not like I really care about it, but I vaguely remember a Jony Ive piece from circa 2008/9 on the Apple site about the 17" where they bring up the "battery" (not batteries) and they're showing this big rectangular thing.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Anyone got any idea how bootcamp will likely handle the retina displays?

Also:

aus apple store posted:

Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers 12/07/2012 - 18/07/2012 by Standard Shipping
That's some weird maths apple.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
FWIW I called a couple retail stores today and got a few different responses. The most promising was the rep who said that they can't sell the new Pros until they have them on display in the store and to check back tonight after 7 or in the morning. He wouldn't say if they had them or not, however. Makes me think they have them in the back and will be available tonight or tomorrow.

edit: I'm in the bay area if that matters at all.

pctD fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 12, 2012

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Destroyenator posted:

Also:
That's some weird maths apple.

I don't understand? 2-3 weeks to ship and then some shipping time before its delivered?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

pctD posted:

FWIW I called a couple retail stores today and got a few different responses. The most promising was the rep who said that they can't sell the new Pros until they have them on display in the store and to check back tonight after 7 or in the morning. He wouldn't say if they had them or not, however. Makes me think they have them in the back and will be available tonight or tomorrow.

I think if it was there would have been pictures of the black pallets with "DO NOT OPEN BEFORE 6/11/12 10 AM" like there usually is when hardware is shipped early. They might get them in overnight though, but they're not there yet if they're not able to sell them. Probably.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

flavor posted:

I may be wrong and it's not like I really care about it, but I vaguely remember a Jony Ive piece from circa 2008/9 on the Apple site about the 17" where they bring up the "battery" (not batteries) and they're showing this big rectangular thing.

You might have been thinking about this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diaQlJmS18

It was more about the importance of developing new battery technology and switching to non-removable batteries to increase capacity.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

It's already dead

:emo:
So was the Mac mini, you gotta believe! [parappa.gif]

Destroyenator posted:

Anyone got any idea how bootcamp will likely handle the retina displays?
Hilariously? I'd guess it'd see it as 2880x1800 or whatever so everything would be small as hell, but at least Windows has scaling for interface elements. Just bump everything up until it looks usable.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

If any of you are in NYC, I called the 5th Ave, Grand Central and Upper West Side Apple stores; the first two said they didn't know when they'd have the MBP:TNG available for purchase, but UWS said tomorrow at 9am. Take with requisite grains of salt.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

mike- posted:

I don't understand? 2-3 weeks to ship and then some shipping time before its delivered?
Oh right. I read shipping as delivery time. :doh:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Sinestro posted:

I love timing sometimes. I finally get money and, hey, new MBP! Is the 2.6 -> 2.7 worth it if I am using it as a desktop replacement, and likely to have to stick with it for a refresh or two?
If you're not doing anything intensive, I doubt you'd notice. I do heavy Xcode builds, so I spurged on the CPU.

Fat Whale
Feb 20, 2012

O O O O O O O O O O
According to David Pogue, Apple is currently redesigning both the iMac and Mac Pro, and they're underway for a release in 2013.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah it's definitely a separate board:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Oneiros posted:

You might have been thinking about this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diaQlJmS18

It was more about the importance of developing new battery technology and switching to non-removable batteries to increase capacity.

Yeah that was pretty much it and the battery - like the other non-removable MBP ones I've seen do also - looks pretty rectangular. It may of course have these little ones under the cover.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Fat Whale posted:

According to David Pogue, Apple is currently redesigning both the iMac and Mac Pro, and they're underway for a release in 2013.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/11/david-pogue-new-imacs-and-mac-pros-coming-probably-in-2013/

Update:

MacRumors posted:

A MacRumors reader writes in to share an email he received from Apple CEO Tim Cook after he asked about the future of the Mac Pro:
Our pro customers are really important to us...don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Sounds like Ivy Bridge E, with a few months for volume availability of IVB-E Xeons.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress, ordered back when it was 5-7 days. Showing up now as 2-3 weeks!!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I think the fan technology is so neat. I love how much Apple puts into their designs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AnandTech shows some examples of how the RBP/MBP:TNG scales the desktop.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I currently have a 13" 2011 MBA with 4gb of RAM. Will the new 13" MBA with 4gb of RAM prove noticeably faster? I don't really care about storage.

I really wanted Retina. :(

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
If I snagged one of those new MacBook Airs, would I be able to run dual monitor, one being the 27" Thunderbolt display and DVI through the other?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think the fan technology is so neat. I love how much Apple puts into their designs.

I really admire that about them. They may be a pain in the rear end at times, but I'm glad Apple is around just to show the world how beautiful technology can be.

As for the Mac Pro stuff, I guess we just have to accept the fact that people need to have patience with Apple.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I don't know if anyone has posted it, but this new display panel screenshot from anandtech rocks.

the article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5996/how-the-retina-display-macbook-pro-handles-scaling

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Amazon needs to stock the new, non Retina 15"... now.

Butt Savage posted:

As for the Mac Pro stuff, I guess we just have to accept the fact that people need to have patience with Apple.

This post would have made sense a year ago.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 12, 2012

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
Just got back from 5th Ave. NYC. They have new Airs in stock, but not on display. No word on MBP:TNG.

Something interesting I noticed. Nowhere on the New MacBook Pro: TNG does it have any MacBook Pro branding. This could be a result of the display construction change.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

Mega Boris posted:

Just got back from 5th Ave. NYC. They have new Airs in stock, but not on display. No word on MBP:TNG.

Something interesting I noticed. Nowhere on the New MacBook Pro: TNG does it have any MacBook Pro branding. This could be a result of the display construction change.

It's on the bottom case, not on the screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

echobucket posted:

I don't know if anyone has posted it, but this new display panel screenshot from anandtech rocks.

the article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5996/how-the-retina-display-macbook-pro-handles-scaling
Nice, hopefully they'll do some UI scaling option for other machines (realistically they won't and someone will find a plist hack for it) so my mom can run her machine at native res with big elements.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If you check the photo gallery in that article, it looks like the UI elements are just double sized, as every resolution is doubled and then scaled to the panel (e.g. "1920x1200" is a 3840x2400 screenshot).

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Today I installed Air Display on my iPad 3rd gen see what a HiDPI display would look like with Lion. And then I realized that the iPad is already at retina, so it looked normal. :doh: With HiDPI disabled though, holy tiny fonts and screen elements!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

kuskus posted:

Today I installed Air Display on my iPad 3rd gen see what a HiDPI display would look like with Lion. And then I realized that the iPad is already at retina, so it looked normal. :doh: With HiDPI disabled though, holy tiny fonts and screen elements!

Um, I don't think you understand HiDPI mode. It shouldn't have looked "normal" it should have looked much better than "normal".

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Sorry if this has been brought up already but I just want to make sure: nothing was announced today as far as iMacs are concerned, correct? I've been holding off on buying one because I thought they were due for an update soon.

Even Macrumors' buying guide says not to buy one, although they're saying that 2013 is when the new one is likely to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

japtor posted:

Nice, hopefully they'll do some UI scaling option for other machines (realistically they won't and someone will find a plist hack for it) so my mom can run her machine at native res with big elements.

This would be great. I cringe at putting a 27 inch iMac at 1280 by whatever for my dad, but that's what works best for big elements. I was really hoping for resolution indepence at some point on OSX.