Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Schubalts posted:

They don't do anything, it's just flavor text.

Really? The next time I traveled to the Great Wall after doing the quest for the female bandits, I only encountered basic wolves (well, and the chimera), rather than any bandits or cyclopses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It only effects the female bandits and only if you carry it at least once going to that area (I think). The southern bandits still attack you. The chump played you for a fool. He's no good after that quest anyway, so I just say maelstorm his rear end and laugh yourself back to town.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

It only effects the female bandits and only if you carry it at least once going to that area (I think). The southern bandits still attack you. The chump played you for a fool. He's no good after that quest anyway, so I just say maelstorm his rear end and laugh yourself back to town.

What happens is basically most of the female bandits stop spawning (the few that do will still be hostile, except for the ones in the castle). The male ones don't seem to change at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, it was a nice touch. The male one has to be bugged or they're just a crappy rear end group who lied to you. No Honor Among Thieves is right.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The funny thing to me is that Maul and his buddies in his little encampment never once attacked me. The dudes outside of there still do, though.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I wonder if maybe the southern bandits keep spawning to prevent you from being unable to finish the "Kill 35 bandits by Aernst" quest.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
I wish the magic using pawns kept casting after their initial target died. It's a giant tornado, there's like 8 other dudes it could take out! I guess you just have to set them to Utilitarian/Scather and hope for the best.

Also, someone rented my pawn and sent back a dragonforged dragonblood as a gift. What's up with that, I thought you couldn't enhance equipment.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So I thought a Sorcerer using High Bolide was amazing. Turns out two is even better. And that was with one not being the High version. Meteors everywhere.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The assassin is my new favourite class, for two reasons.

The first is the powder charge. I blew up an ogre's rear end, then when he fell over I blew up his face and he charged around with his head and rear end on fire.

The second is intimate strike, because it has an extremely hilarious name and is perfect for stabbing big monsters right in the gooch.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

McDragon posted:

So I thought a Sorcerer using High Bolide was amazing. Turns out two is even better. And that was with one not being the High version. Meteors everywhere.

I loved running around as a sorc with a 2nd sorc..until I ran into a metal golem. Watching moron for brains pawns try to tackle a metal golem is the most hilariously bad thing in this game. Nice that meteors dmg the sigils, it just takes a year and a half. Worse was I had a ranger pawn that stood next to me the entire time, not attacking even once, just screaming at the top of her lungs "it's no use to attack this foe, we must attack the sigils" there was a lot of screen yelling during that fight...

I did figure out using the "go" cmd next to a sigils makes your pawns attack it eventually

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sankis posted:

I wonder if maybe the southern bandits keep spawning to prevent you from being unable to finish the "Kill 35 bandits by Aernst" quest.

There's a quest to kill 35 female bandits, too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

There's a quest to kill 35 female bandits, too.

Which does actually get (kind of) broken by completing the female bandit's quest. You can get them to reappear and finish it just by angering the female bandit camp though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I want these people making a Berserk game. Swear to god, this game takes so many cues from Berserk it's awesome, and I'm not talking about the special armors.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, thanks Kieyen and ATHMF for gifting me such wonderful items.

I couldn't be assed to do Ophis's badge quest as I was a male character and ATHMF straight up hooked me up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Does anyone have some suggestions for the best inclination for a Sorcerer pawn? Right now mine is Scather/Mitigator which worked great when my pawn was a Warrior, but my Sorcerer is jumping around and trying to staff stuff to death rather than casting her spells. :downs:

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

a kitten posted:

Does anyone have some suggestions for the best inclination for a Sorcerer pawn? Right now mine is Scather/Mitigator which worked great when my pawn was a Warrior, but my Sorcerer is jumping around and trying to staff stuff to death rather than casting her spells. :downs:

My sorcerer is Mitigator/Utilitarian and seems to work well (except for when her secondary suddenly becomes nexus and she stops murdering in favor of throwing my other pawns at me if they get knocked out).

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
There's a sidequest that asks for Maul's badge too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy poo poo the pawn I just hired is using the ballistae! And using them well!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lotish posted:

Holy poo poo the pawn I just hired is using the ballistae! And using them well!

loving how? :psyduck: I just assumed the Arisen was the only one with the power to interact with the world besides to loot it

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Hell no pawns fuckin' love ballistae.

Also holy moly I just decided to try out the assassin's Bloodlust augment and it almost doubles my attack at night :stare:

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 12, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there some inclination that will cause them to use things like that more often? I have also never seen a pawn use one. Like an ore vein when they don't have a pickaxe, they stare blankly at it and wait for me to climb on.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some inclination that will cause them to use things like that more often? I have also never seen a pawn use one. Like an ore vein when they don't have a pickaxe, they stare blankly at it and wait for me to climb on.

I'd like to know this too, one of the recent pawns I hired was picking up every explosive barrel he could find and throwing it at enemies. I think I spent all 30 hours I've played so far throwing barrels at enemies and my pawn won't even pick one up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Anecdotal, but try making your pawns utilitarians.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Utilitarian is the best thing for any non mage type pawn to have as primary because they use their abilities way more. They'll even use Pilfer / Master Thief.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Hackan Slash posted:

Also, someone rented my pawn and sent back a dragonforged dragonblood as a gift. What's up with that, I thought you couldn't enhance equipment.

It's hacked/modded. Equipment has a flag for dragonforged, it's just unused. So people editing their inventories are setting the flag either because they're idiots and don't realize they're pointing themselves out, or because they want to do just that.

It's the same as one that isn't dragonforged except that if you wear it, 12 year olds will think you're badass and everyone else will think you're a douchebag.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Oh man, Griffin's Bane was an awesome fight. But should I put this port crystal down at the top or bottom of the tower?

e: Oh, you can only use it on the map. I'm gonna place right of this tower because it's just so remote but god drat it looks cool.

RME fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 12, 2012

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I want these people making a Berserk game. Swear to god, this game takes so many cues from Berserk it's awesome, and I'm not talking about the special armors.
Hell, when you create your character you'll even see both Guts and Caska as selectable body types.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Funkmaster General posted:

It's hacked/modded. Equipment has a flag for dragonforged, it's just unused. So people editing their inventories are setting the flag either because they're idiots and don't realize they're pointing themselves out, or because they want to do just that.

It's the same as one that isn't dragonforged except that if you wear it, 12 year olds will think you're badass and everyone else will think you're a douchebag.

Er, doesn't your equipment become Dragonforged when you kill a drake/dragon?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cbouncerrun posted:

I'm guessing the Dragonblood is an accessory, which you can't upgrade.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So it's like Dark Souls and Skyrim had a baby and Shadow of the Colossus might be the real dad, with a bunch of cool mechanics and plenty of numbery RPG level uppy goodness.

I'm really wishing I wasn't so broke right now, with the amount of videogames I've got on my slate to play that I actually own, I can't justify picking this up until it's like £25 or something.

I'm not sure if places that sell it in dollars and poo poo (I'm from Britain) use the conversation rate or just swap the $ for an £ otherwise I might be able to swing it.

Guess it'll have to wait a couple weeks, but when I do get this I'm probably going to barricade myself in my house with a half ounce.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cbouncerrun posted:

I meant to say accessories, sorry. The item he's referring to is a ring.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So I'm not too far in, just made it to Gran Soren. I'm enjoying it so far, but I have to say that the combat is a little more chaotic than I thought it would be; once it starts, my pawns are all over the place and I seem to have a real hard time keeping track of it all. Best is when one of them yells out that a bad guy is near and I'm always like "loving where?!" and then it's suddenly eating my face.

I really like the pawn system though. Just from reading the thread I know people are sick of them talking but I kind of like it, rolling through the countryside with an adventuring party is neat. I'm playing as a strider, my pawn is a fighter; it's great when he picks up goblins and I get free target practice.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What the gently caress. Thanks game you big fat rear end in a top hat

Just got back from the encampment far away, beat the two wraiths or whatever and dropped by the castle. Oh there's a quest, Duchess in Distress? Cool.

Literally marked failed before I can even move. Is there some secret I'm not getting because this is stupid as gently caress and infuriating that it's telling me I failed even though I quite literally haven't taken a single step.

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What the gently caress. Thanks game you big fat rear end in a top hat

Just got back from the encampment far away, beat the two wraiths or whatever and dropped by the castle. Oh there's a quest, Duchess in Distress? Cool.

Literally marked failed before I can even move. Is there some secret I'm not getting because this is stupid as gently caress and infuriating that it's telling me I failed even though I quite literally haven't taken a single step.

If I remember correctly, the window to do that quest is after you start that last quest you did, but before you finish it. Yeah, it's pretty hosed up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been thinking about the mystic knight's shield counter abilities and thinking, they will never do anywhere near the damage per second that an offensive skill will, for the simple reason that in action games in general, enemies will never ever attack as frequently as your main character does. If the counterattacks were instakill or close, or caused some horrible disability on hit that would be one thing, but for the damage they do it seems to be always worth your effort to just say gently caress it and attack.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

mystic knight's shield counter abilities

I find this as well, but it's still pretty fun to magic up your shield and let the Hypnotoad do the talkin.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
If you're just talking about the regular blocks, yeah they're kinda crap. Perfect blocks, however, do very significant damage, while making you completely invincible during the entire animation. Also, if you're just standing around, baiting an attack, you're doing it wrong.

Also also, I am not sure about this, but I believe my riposts have inflicted topor/poison while wielding the rusty mace. I do know for certain that ruinous glyph / great cannon DO inflict the status effects.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cthulhuchan posted:

If you're just talking about the regular blocks, yeah they're kinda crap. Perfect blocks, however, do very significant damage, while making you completely invincible during the entire animation. Also, if you're just standing around, baiting an attack, you're doing it wrong.

Also also, I am not sure about this, but I believe my riposts have inflicted topor/poison while wielding the rusty mace. I do know for certain that ruinous glyph / great cannon DO inflict the status effects.
What I mean is, given a choice between going on the offensive and attacking the enemy with the intent to stagger and/or knock them down as soon as possible, and waiting for then to attack you so you can do a reposte, offense seems the better choice in basically every situation (other than like, times when you literally can't reach an enemy that's firing arrows at you). It's just the way the game is made, with how fast and agile both you and your enemies are.

edit: basically, when in doubt, blink strike, don't block.

edit again: drat I wish mystic knight meant staff in left hand, sword in right hand. Didn't anyone learn anything from Gandalf in the LOTR movies?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 12, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cakeequals posted:

If I remember correctly, the window to do that quest is after you start that last quest you did, but before you finish it. Yeah, it's pretty hosed up.

That's frustrating. Also judging that my next quest is titled "The Final Battle" I'm pretty sure I wanna do all I can, are there any story quests that I CAN do?

I just did Bad Buiseness and not sure where else to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apso
May 30, 2008

The "story" quests are linear, and not hard to miss. There are loads of side quests that sometimes require tedious back-tracking (unless you're swimming in portcrystals and ferry stones) to acquire, but after two play-throughs haven't affected the plot significantly as far as I can tell.

Regarding failed quests, there are vague checkpoints at which many side quests will instantly fail without warning, which can seem unfair but hey, there's always NG+

• Locked thread