Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Somebody needs to crash so this thread gets back on topic. Not it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

front wing flexing posted:

Yes, they'd be equally responsible. However, I don't see much bragging about hooning in CA, though. Hardly if ever.
"Search found 80 matches in 0.00 seconds for 'Riding like a dong'" ¹
:colbert:

Not it - I just put Beck's Zebra Plastics on my DRZ yesterday. They are awesome, and gently caress if I'm going to mess them up.

¹ intended as humor

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5jzFJcrao

Crashing is sort of implied with a dirt bike race, but its on pavement so I'll post it. I messed up the audio when I edited the 2nd clip in.

Dude charges up the inside, notices his line is blocked, locks rear and dives right. Crashes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What happened in the second clip? Did the other guy crash into you when you were standing still?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'd guess he tried to jump the dip and landed in a wheelie, and flipped backward. I was about to take off when a front tire was ~2' from my head.

Here is someone else's footage of the jump and us tangled up (0:27s) http://vimeo.com/43485803

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gullous posted:

Crashing is sort of implied with a dirt bike race, but its on pavement so I'll post it. I messed up the audio when I edited the 2nd clip in.

Dude charges up the inside, notices his line is blocked, locks rear and dives right. Crashes.

Did you post other footage of this race already, or are or those strings delineating the course on the pavement pretty common? I'm sure it's different in person, but it looks like it would be really hard to see the course confidently.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The strings were pretty confusing, but you could generally figure it out since most corners were hairpins. Still, there were moments where you had no clue...

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gullous posted:

The strings were pretty confusing, but you could generally figure it out since most corners were hairpins. Still, there were moments where you had no clue...

It took me a long time to figure out which thread I'd asked you this in. "Supermoto...no; Pictures and videos...no" But yeah, that's what I would think. Too bad they didn't use cones better like you mentioned in another post. Looks like a lot of fun anyway.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

My fancy hardware. I'm out of the cast and into a ski / air boot deal. I can't put weight on it yet but I am working on getting range of motion back. I wish somebody warned me how gross my leg would be out of the cast. It was quite a shock when they took it off to remove staples and stitches (23~ staples and however many stitches it takes to close up a 7inch incision). I think the best part is being able to take real deal showers. Now I just need to find a new bike :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Man that looks rad as gently caress. Does it conduct electricity? I wonder if you can feel strong static charges through it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xovaan posted:

Man that looks rad as gently caress. Does it conduct electricity? I wonder if you can feel strong static charges through it.

Dunno about that but he's definitely going to be feeling it anytime the weather changes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

On that note, getting struck by lightning would probably suck. Already your leg would hurt from the weather and the first thing I'd ask when running over to your smoking body would be, "Did you feel it? Did you feel the electricity?"

I'm a terrible person.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Anarchist posted:

My fancy hardware. I'm out of the cast and into a ski / air boot deal. I can't put weight on it yet but I am working on getting range of motion back. I wish somebody warned me how gross my leg would be out of the cast. It was quite a shock when they took it off to remove staples and stitches (23~ staples and however many stitches it takes to close up a 7inch incision). I think the best part is being able to take real deal showers. Now I just need to find a new bike :)

It took me a while to be able to put weight on it (exact same injury a little over a year ago). Didn't help that I'm a fatass. Just keep pushing yourself a little bit harder every day and you'll get there.

Good motorcycle boots can work like a walking boot when you're ready.

Anarchist
Apr 2, 2003

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.
I guess I should look into becoming a weatherman, I'll have a leg up on the competition :haw:

Every day it gets a bit better, I started working on range of motion exercises and all that fun stuff. I'm not exactly light on my feet either but I make progress every day. I think the boot they have me in now works as a walking boot too but I'm not sure. My motorcycle boot sacrificed it self to save my foot, I need to replace them first.

If I'm struck down by lightning I'll only rise again stronger :black101:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Anarchist posted:

I guess I should look into becoming a weatherman, I'll have a leg up on the competition :haw:

Every day it gets a bit better, I started working on range of motion exercises and all that fun stuff. I'm not exactly light on my feet either but I make progress every day. I think the boot they have me in now works as a walking boot too but I'm not sure. My motorcycle boot sacrificed it self to save my foot, I need to replace them first.

If I'm struck down by lightning I'll only rise again stronger :black101:

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. Better . . . stronger . . . faster . . .

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Tamir Lenk posted:

We can rebuild him. We have the technology. Better . . . stronger . . . faster . . .

Conductive!

and in ski boots

(also I'm glad you're recovering)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Anarchist posted:

My fancy hardware.

Laminate this along with a doctor's note on the reverse or you'll never fly again. Well, unless you enjoy being ankle-groped :)

Speedy recovery.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Marv Hushman posted:

Laminate this along with a doctor's note on the reverse or you'll never fly again. Well, unless you enjoy being ankle-groped :)

Speedy recovery.

I flew with similar hardware last month and went through the backscatter scanner three times. My leg with the hardware never alerted. They did have to grope anomalies on my other leg (MSY) and my back (ATL), though.

Edit: I haven't been through a magnetometer yet, but my understanding is that titanium, when it's inside you like that, won't usually set off the detector.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I posted this in another thread on CA, but I think it fits here better. Here's the synopsis:

While drunk and on Vicadin, a co-worker of mine "laid down" his Harley a few weeks ago. He was wearing a skid-lid and some gloves and no other gear.

Most of the damage was to his face and he smacked his shoulder fairly hard. Road rash on his arms and cheek.

The guy is a moron and I'm surprised he's still alive after 54 years of life on Earth and apparently has never changed his ways.

He had just spent over $5,000 on the road king getting it tuned and some new custom pipes and a replaced shock. The crash bars did their job and his custom saddle bags got some damage, but nothing bad enough for him to replace (his windshield cracked though). He claims the cops showed up, but I'm pretty sure he just picked up the bike and rode home. Drunk off his rear end.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I posted this in another thread on CA, but I think it fits here better. Here's the synopsis:

While drunk and on Vicadin, a co-worker of mine "laid down" his Harley a few weeks ago. He was wearing a skid-lid and some gloves and no other gear.

Most of the damage was to his face and he smacked his shoulder fairly hard. Road rash on his arms and cheek.

The guy is a moron and I'm surprised he's still alive after 54 years of life on Earth and apparently has never changed his ways.

He had just spent over $5,000 on the road king getting it tuned and some new custom pipes and a replaced shock. The crash bars did their job and his custom saddle bags got some damage, but nothing bad enough for him to replace (his windshield cracked though). He claims the cops showed up, but I'm pretty sure he just picked up the bike and rode home. Drunk off his rear end.

A coworker's husband did the exact same thing. 7 bars into it, he drove off the road into some trees. His buddy ditched him 'cause he was already one DUI deep. Dude drove home, claimed a deer jumped out.

:wtc:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Jesus. I don't ride on anything less than caffeine. "Pay attention or die" has been my motto since day 1. Even through my horrendous ADHD it works extremely well.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I won't get on my bike if I've had any alcohol at all, and if I have anything more than one beer I don't drive. Probably a little extreme, but it works for me.

I saw a really bad accident last night. Weather was beautiful so of course all the weekend warriors were out on their bikes, naturally with no gear besides a pair of sunglasses. I was driving back after dinner and came across what remained of a motorcycle. I didn't witness it but the pieces of the bike were spread pretty far along the road and in the ditch, and if I had to guess, a car or the bike ran a red light. I don't know if the rider survived or not, when I got there the I only saw the driver of the car; the ambulance had already left. The intersection is pretty bad for accidents; last year a motorcycle got hit and killed a dad and his kid. Anyway guys, be safe out there.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

americanzero4128 posted:

I won't get on my bike if I've had any alcohol at all, and if I have anything more than one beer I don't drive. Probably a little extreme, but it works for me.

Not only is this not extreme, as I understand it it's pretty much the law. This is exactly my own personal policy and If every one did this a lot of lives wouldn't end early. Kudos.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

kenny powerzzz posted:

Not only is this not extreme, as I understand it it's pretty much the law. This is exactly my own personal policy and If every one did this a lot of lives wouldn't end early. Kudos.

+1 on this not-at-all-extreme policy.

Definitely won't ride with any booze in me. I am enough of a newb and/or dumb rider straight.

Won't drive with more than one drink in me, and then only after getting some food in me and some time has passed since that drink. IOW, if I have a glass of wine with dinner, I'll wait and have a coffee before driving. That's for the extra time to drink the coffee, not to use the caffeine against any alcohol -- that doesn't work.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

One "Standard" drink is not by definition drunk driving, I would NOT trust myself to drive my motorcycle if I had only one "standard" drink but I would still drive my car. The reason being that while I may reasoning and physical ability is good enough for a car, it is not for a motorcycle.

Edit: In other words I have a zero tolerance policy on drinking while driving my motorcycle.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Or you could be like me and not drink at all :science:

Unless it's Motomind's delicious margarita, those are worth drinking.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Vendagoat posted:

When I purchased my bike I made a promise to myself. "I don't care what it is, I will not ride my bike while I am under the influence of ANY substance." I have not broken that promise, nor will I, ever.

My promise is still very much intact.

Vicadin and alcohol...

Tell yah what, next time hand him a revolver with two bullets in it. I'd wager it's better odds at survival than driving a bike while on those two substances.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
He told me there was one time he was riding home from the bar and he was so drunk he couldn't even put his feet down at stop lights without falling over, so he ran all of them.

What. The. gently caress.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or you could be like me and not drink at all :science:

Unless it's Motomind's delicious margarita, those are worth drinking.

Dude it's so true. I don't know what magic he puts into those things but I don't drink otherwise.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

XYLOPAGUS posted:

He told me there was one time he was riding home from the bar and he was so drunk he couldn't even put his feet down at stop lights without falling over, so he ran all of them.

I mean drinking and driving is not cool and not funny. But that got a chuckle out of me, then a disappointed sad face at myself.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

A friend of mine said he got so drunk the night before he had trouble putting his feet down at stoplights and I almost hit him I was so furious. Even after a lot of his friends repeatedly told him he was a loving idiot for riding drunk he still continued to do it if one of us didn't go out of our way to get his keys from him. He's had a few minor spills after drinking that he always chalks up to "ice" or some bogus nonsense. Finally one night he had a minor spill that bent his forks so that finally took him off the road without a major injury. While I miss having someone to ride with, I'd rather ride alone than worry about his dumb rear end all the time.

I don't ride to the bar, I'll bus, walk, or cab it, and if I have to take the car or the bike, they always stay parked in front of the bar until I can pick them up the next morning after I've slept it off.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ElMaligno posted:

One "Standard" drink is not by definition drunk driving, I would NOT trust myself to drive my motorcycle if I had only one "standard" drink but I would still drive my car. The reason being that while I may reasoning and physical ability is good enough for a car, it is not for a motorcycle.

Edit: In other words I have a zero tolerance policy on drinking while driving my motorcycle.

I'm allowed .02 promille in my blood which is like a quarter of beer. WOO PARTY TIMES

Xovaan posted:

Dude it's so true. I don't know what magic he puts into those things but I don't drink otherwise.

I'd like to try one of these famed margarita's. Is there technology to turn liquid into bytes yet? Could you send it.com to me over the internet? It shouldn't be hard since I only need about 25%. Thanks.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

KARMA! posted:

I'd like to try one of these famed margarita's. Is there technology to turn liquid into bytes yet? Could you send it.com to me over the internet? It shouldn't be hard since I only need about 25%. Thanks.

You will need to procure certain inputs, such as quality tequila, limes, water, and agave nectar. You will need to juice the limes, and mix all ingredients at the appropriate ratios. Put ice in a pint glass and pour mixture into your glass. It is ready to drink immediately, but there is no need to worry about meltage. It will mellow out over time without loss of enjoyment.

I put together a rudimentary margarita party calculator and spreadsheet that I can share with you: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AotzHEtt3JK3dF9La0xwcXZpZDUwNnF3Z3daZVA5cWc&output=html

For my part, I think riding dirt bikes on private land while drinking beer is a wholesome all-American activity.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Here in Japan, the limit's 0% BAC (for cars too), and any passengers in a drunk driver's vehicle can also collect their very own DUI charge as well. If you're in a car you can at least get a daiko, which is a cab service that has a second driver to drive your vehicle back home for you too (doesn't really cost any more than a regular cab, strangely).

If you're on a bike I assume you're SOL in that department, I know a guy with a bike who doesn't like to drink, so he's got a pretty much airtight excuse not to partake. My Muslim friend is not so lucky and still gets kinda badgered about it at work parties.

nsaP posted:

Instead of hating on the cop I'd look up how liability in a parking lot works in your state. I don't think they ever assign blame in parking lots here. I'm stupid careful in them as a result. Not to mention you were essentially in his lane. If I saw you right here and I was where he was, I might assume you were going left and try to cut under you.

I got backed into at a gas station in California last year (I was stationary :suicide:) while driving a rental car and had the cops come out. They couldn't write a full report because it happened in a parking lot and not on public roads, but had a separate form for that sort of incident where we basically exchanged insurance info. Her company called me up a few days later and took down my account of the accident, they were a little slow in paying but once Avis called me looking for their $1300, I sent them her insurance info and never heard from them again.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 19, 2012

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
Content!

My Dad and I decided to go for a little trip on the Easter long weekend a couple months ago, up the sunshine coast in British Columbia, Canada. It's a nice road, but I had heard that it can be treacherous - and I learned all about that!

Weather was sunny leaving the ferry. Beautiful. About half an hour of riding later it began to rain. Rain's no problem, we slowed down quite a bit here. This continued for about 5 minutes - And then a hailstone hits my helmet. And another. And then a hundred more. I decided that I should not be riding in hail, and that I need to pull over. There was nowhere for me to do that where I was, (no shoulder, just a ditch) so I (wrongfully) decided to see what was around the bend and stop there.

This bend was a blind left, and I think I was doing about 40-50 km/h at this point. Coming around the corner.. Surprise, built up slush all over the road. I tried to slow down and get to the shoulder, and the next thing I know I'm sliding along on my side, thinking "poo poo." and then "How embarrassing." Followed by "I sure hope that Audi behind doesn't hit me". Thankfully he stopped in time.

I picked my bike up myself and waved off offers of assistance from the dude ahead of me and then an EMT asked me if I wanted any help - Wait a sec, EMT? The hell? There's no way they can get here that fast.. I was fine, all I got was a slightly sore shoulder and a tiny bruise on my palm.

I took a wider look around. 100 yards up the road from my fall, this:

50 meters behind me:

He had this truck for all of 2 days. I think he came around the blind left, was surprised by the stopped traffic and slid into the tree.

As far as I know all occupants of the truck were okay, the red car I'm not too sure. They were both taken away in an ambulance, but the news reported nothing on the sunshine coast so I think they were fine.

My helmet: (Shoei Qwest)

Bike inspection time:

flush mounts might have saved my fairing from this mangling. The signal stocks drove into the plastic

Note the lack of a shifting peg in the second image. I thought the trip was over and we'd have to trailer it 150km home. There was no way I could shift up; I tried. The sides of my boot had no edge were the sole began.

Stroke of luck though, there was a shop 1km away that just so happened to be open on a sunday. The mechanic was friendly and we bored a hole into the shift lever, put a screw in there, put on the rubber from the old shifter and secured it with a nut.

Completely in debt to that guy. We continued our road trip and arrived safely back home without incident 1 day and night later.

What I learned:

When weather goes south fast, don't wait to see what's around the corner (figuratively and metaphorically). My Dad has a thermometer (riding a BMW K1200LT) and saw the temp go from 12 degrees to 0 in 10 seconds. He's never seen weather change like that, he told me.

I wasn't 100% observant: My dad has been riding for 30 years, he was behind me and noticed that a car that came in the opposite direction had snow on its hood. He was more careful from then on, but had no way to warn me. This was about 30 seconds before I went down.

I fell because I tried to move to the side of the road. I'm thinking once my front tire went over a part that was more slushy, it slid to the right as the back tire still had plenty of traction. Had I stayed in the slightly less slushy areas left by previous tires I had a good chance of slowing down safely to a speed where I could have moved over and stopped.

sunshine coast my rear end

50 meters behind me and around the corner the road was clear. Knowing that I was not the only driver to be surprised by this slightly mollified me, but I was taking it easy for the rest of the trip.

Sicarii fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 19, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Good to see you came out alright, could have gone a lot worse. Glad I'll never have to ride in snow where I live, sounds like it's like riding on oil.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's a hell of a story...glad you're ok. After commuting into SF and out every day with a buddy who's a new rider with Sena SMH10s, I can't imagine any other way of riding with friends. Not only is it handy to be able to talk to him and entertaining, it's also great for riding tips, warning him about cars, etc. Highly recommended.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wish I had a Jeff on the other line of my Sena :saddowns:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Way to hang in there and improvise. It's easy to succumb to dread and panic under circumstances like this, but you have to press on.

I think after incidents like this, it's our pride conducting the damage assessment and we tend to minimize and restrict it to the cosmetic. Given that this is now ancient history the advice is less appropriate, but for anyone else who may be reading, I say dig deeper. It's probably worth an hour of your time to check the front end for slop and janky behavior. Tighten things down, do a fall away test, etc. I don't know how hard it went down, but that force likely got absorbed by components more crucial than a turn signal. Treat it like a newly-acquired used bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I hopped I wouldn't add to this thread. Thurs on the interstate a car cut me off and slammed on his brakes. I grabbed too much front brake and went over. Rolled a few times and thankfully wasn't hit by anyone. I have some rash on my right leg. Helmet was fantastic, jacket and gloves as well. However I broke my right wrist and almost every bone in my left palm. 4 pins in my left hand and a metal plate in the right wrist.

I keep replaying it in my head trying to find some ther solution, but with traffic to either side I had nowhere to turn. I think the only option would've been to hit the car but I think that would've been just as bad.

I really can't say enough about having gear. My jacket was cheap and it held up extremely well, no rash on my upper body, it had foam in elbows shoulders and back. Helmet was an icon alliance it's scuffed down one side and the back vent is torn off along with the face shield.

Overall, it could've been much worse and I'm sure there was probably a better way to react.

• Locked thread