Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Flippycunt posted:

Would it be feasible to buy say, one box of infantry and split them up into a couple smaller units to get a feel for the game and decide if its something we're interested in playing?

Edit:
Also Black Powder doesn't seem to have very many pre-written unit stat blocks. Is that something we're just supposed to come up with on our own, or are there add-on books for different time periods?

Sure, easiest way is to just make big squares of cardboard that are roughly the right size, and then plant some miniatures on them so that you can see what they represent. You're probably going to end up with a basing scheme where you have several miniatures on one larger base (the default that Perry ships with is 6 miniatures on one base, I don't know about Victrix). So just plant one of those bases on the square, and everyone can see that it's infantry.

There are books for different periods, or rather, they just released a book covering the Pike and Shotte period in greater details. No doubt there will be more coming later, as they seem to sell plenty of copies of the rules. There are plenty of home-made versions for specific periods if you look at forums and such, start at Warlord Games, who publish the rules:

http://warlordgames.com/forum/index.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On the advice of the thread here I picked Black Powder to do Napoleonics after a dude at a con made me think the period looks awesome on the table. Using HäT plastics I've got the bones of a French and a British army for about 30 euro.

20mil - the scale of KINGS I tell you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

On the advice of the thread here I picked Black Powder to do Napoleonics after a dude at a con made me think the period looks awesome on the table. Using HäT plastics I've got the bones of a French and a British army for about 30 euro.

20mil - the scale of KINGS I tell you.

I'm using 20mm (well, 1/72) for FoF/AA since it's so easy to find vehicles and models.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

20 mm has its points. I had a bit of a hiatus from 15 mm, but now that I'm painting some Peter Pig on commission, it feels drat nice. Will stay with 6mm for napoleonics, though.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
After consulting my friends we changed from 15mm (had a rough time getting things to look right, every company's 15mm is different scale) to 28mm. Perry and Victrix really are great stuff and cheap prices. Try Wayland Games, they airmail stuff to the US and its cheaper that ground shipping here, no idea why. They also both have distributors here in the US (the WarStore carries em both, Victrix have lots of distribs). Front Rank also make a nice looking 28mm napoleonics fig.

Yeah it will take longer to paint up, but this was never a immediate type of purchase for us, we are going big battles using Black Powder, and after painting a few of the 15mms guys I wanted to do more detail right away.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
This seems like the thread to ask this in:

What scale and rules would you guys use for wargaming in the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones universe? Since its basically going to end up as a historicals game with the names filed off owing to the fact that the setting doesn't really have combat magic or anything like that.

So ideally something for 1400's Europe. I am prejudiced towards doing 1/72 because its my favorite scale, but someone else suggested using the GW LotR rules and a combination of LotR and Perry miniatures (since they are the same scale and style).

I would want something that could go from a small skirmish of about twenty guys per side to a more robust a huge conflict.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
At the smaller end of the scale, apparently GW's Legends of the Old West is actually rather amazing at skimish scale and isn't as focused on shooting as you'd think. Never played it myself, but should be cinematic enough for ASOFAI.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Legends of the Old West is Lord of the Rings with the serial numbers filed off. Don't tell New Line :ssh:

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm using 20mm (well, 1/72) for FoF/AA since it's so easy to find vehicles and models.
drat straight it is. I got this dude in Walmart for fivebux.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What scale and rules would you guys use for wargaming in the Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones universe? Since its basically going to end up as a historicals game with the names filed off owing to the fact that the setting doesn't really have combat magic or anything like that.

So ideally something for 1400's Europe. I am prejudiced towards doing 1/72 because its my favorite scale, but someone else suggested using the GW LotR rules and a combination of LotR and Perry miniatures (since they are the same scale and style).

I would want something that could go from a small skirmish of about twenty guys per side to a more robust a huge conflict.
I'd say do small scale with Saga and large with Hail Caesar, at a guess. They seem thematically appropriate. 28mil will work, but 20mil would also work fine with LotR if you stick them on GW bases. 20mil will be a lot more difficult to get minis in for that style so you'll have limited choice.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MasterSlowPoke posted:

At the smaller end of the scale, apparently GW's Legends of the Old West is actually rather amazing at skimish scale and isn't as focused on shooting as you'd think. Never played it myself, but should be cinematic enough for ASOFAI.

Yeah, honestly Legends of the High Seas/Old West is probably better. The main reason LOTR was an option was that it scales up with War of the Ring really well. I like Legends a lot but its not terribly good for medieval skirmish gaming.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
From the sounds of wht you are looking for I would second saga. Since the actual units them selves are fairly generic it would be fairy easy to skin over. At first you could use the army battle boards from the game until you get a feel for them and maybe build up some fluffier ones.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Fantasy Flight Games wargame uses 20mm, I think. Soft plastic and unpainted, but it does exist. The rules are based on C&C/Battlelore, with a few tweaks to make leadership more character-based.

It's probably not what you want, but it is a Game of Thrones miniatures game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
True, I forgot about that actually.

No Pun Intended posted:

From the sounds of wht you are looking for I would second saga. Since the actual units them selves are fairly generic it would be fairy easy to skin over. At first you could use the army battle boards from the game until you get a feel for them and maybe build up some fluffier ones.
Well let's see:
Stark: Vikings/Saxons.
Greyjoy: Vikings/Saxons.
Baratheon: Normans.
Lannister: Normans.
Martell: Normans.

I think Saga works pretty well.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
So a couple of my friends have started playing Flames of War and I am interested in getting in on the action but I am having a bit of trouble deciding on what to play. I was thinking about starting a US Cavalry Recon Troop but then I heard someone say that armored car armies were really annoying to play against so I ask you guys; Am I going to be "that guy" if I play a armored car recon force?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So I am interested in maybe some historical battles with Roman Legionnaires, Nepolianic allies and maybe some modern stuff(UN Peace keeping force) and I already have models in 15mm(1/100) so I was wondering if there are some pretty good stuff for this and some rules that may work for me.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

The Red Rabbit posted:

So a couple of my friends have started playing Flames of War and I am interested in getting in on the action but I am having a bit of trouble deciding on what to play. I was thinking about starting a US Cavalry Recon Troop but then I heard someone say that armored car armies were really annoying to play against so I ask you guys; Am I going to be "that guy" if I play a armored car recon force?

I would argue that person needs to grow a pair of balls and stop whining, and learn to build an army. Seriously, Armored Infantry and Armored Cav roll around in what, FA 1? A 37mm will kill that easily. The only thing I can think he's upset about is that Recon/Recce platoons can remove 'Gone to Ground' status from dug in troops. Oh, boo hoo, his dug in Confident Vet German fortified company can now actually be killed.

Play what you want. There really isn't much in the way of cheese right now, so you'll be fine with anything you pick.

Otherwise, "Devil's Charge" has been officially announced, with Audie Murphy as a featured warrior. Could be fun.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I'm in a bit of a bind. I bought a couple of packs of historical wargame minis a couple years back - they are plastic and 15mm I believe. I don't remember the brand name of the packs but I want to buy some more in order to paint them and use them for a tabletop game my friends and I are running that will soon feature massed battles. Anyway, I did some searching around and just can't find more packs like them.

The first pack is about 20 or so pikemen in various poses with shields that peg on their backs. The second is a group of 15 or so crossbowmen in various stages of firing/reloading.

I'm wanting to get more like these on the cheap. Where would be a good place to start looking?

Edit - I looked at Corvus Belli and I don't think my figs are from that company. The figs I have look more like tiny Perry figures (more realistic) but of lesser quality than Perry.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 22, 2012

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Any chance you can take pictures? That would help immensely.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Especially if you have a ruler nearby in the photo!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Sure - I'll post pics as soon as I get home.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Herr Tog posted:

So I am interested in maybe some historical battles with Roman Legionnaires, Nepolianic allies and maybe some modern stuff(UN Peace keeping force) and I already have models in 15mm(1/100) so I was wondering if there are some pretty good stuff for this and some rules that may work for me.
Hail Caesar, Black Powder and Force on Force are the default suggestions here.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm curious, is there a (good/playable) ruleset that lets me mix and match sides/units from different time periods? Like I want to play a modern mechanized infantry company against late medieval armies or something like that? Preferably in 6mm scale so I could field a superior company vastly outnumbered by a low-tech force.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Does anyone have any favorite websites/recommendations for 6mm terrain? (collecting 6mm baccus napoleonics)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pierzak posted:

I'm curious, is there a (good/playable) ruleset that lets me mix and match sides/units from different time periods? Like I want to play a modern mechanized infantry company against late medieval armies or something like that? Preferably in 6mm scale so I could field a superior company vastly outnumbered by a low-tech force.
DBA kind of does that, if you're trying to fight Bronze Age armies against late Midieval knights, but it doesn't really account for army size.

Oddly enough your best bet here may be Warhammer Fantasy 4th edition and 40k 1st ed/Rogue Trader. There were rules in the Siege book for mixing things that way and actually taking weapon and armour differences into account. Also Chaos Lords could have meltaguns in regular Fantasy back then and it was silly by GW standards.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Or just play a Civilizations game :v

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Or just play a Civilizations game :v
I have. Also Rise of Nations, Age of Empires and anything I could find that lets me gently caress around with different eras simultaneously. The boardgames too. I'm looking for a miniature game that does the same and can account for the differences in weaponry etc. I'm not that insane to ask for points list balanced for all eras at once, I'm content with something that lets me make a scenario and work out the force composition, but still has the same mechanics for modern units/ancients/medievals/blackpowder armies. I hoped you guys might know about it if it exists, given the number of obscure systems cropping up here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't know if any rulesets exist per se (although it's the internet, they probably do) but you could extrapolate some of it based on any Zulu rulesets (like Black Powder), or even Ambush Alley (just give the irregulars close combat weapons only).

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
For mixing ancients and moderns, you could look at Hordes of the Things (or Hott), a DBA fantasy variant. It might not be exactly what you're after as differences in weaponry or army size won't be that big, but it allows you to build armies of pretty much anything imaginable. Here's a site with lists: http://meadhall.org.uk/listlist.htm

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Jim Wallman's War in Hell (PDF) isn't totally serious, and is fairly abstract, but you can mix modern, sf, historical and fantasy figures in the legions and choirs.

He has a lot of games, and they're well worth browsing no matter what period or genre you're into.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Does anyone have any favorite websites/recommendations for 6mm terrain? (collecting 6mm baccus napoleonics)

Timecast http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/
Angel Barracks http://angelbarracks.co.uk/

Both are run by nice people that I talked to before launching my own line, and they were super friendly.

In other news, I played my first game of Lasalle, so I thought I would review it.

Lasalle is a game of Napoleonic warfare. You play as the leader of a couple of brigades, so imagine a meeting between small armies or a section of a larger battlefield.

The rules are simple, and fast. Really fast. Only one of us had "read" the rules before, and even with him teaching me and another beginner with only the PDF rules, we managed to learn the rules and play a game in the time that the neighbouring table got through half a WHFB game. Lasalle has a simple army building system, covering most participants between 1806 and 1815, divided into several periods. We tried to play with armies half the size of the standard armies of the rulebook, and it worked great. So as the attacker I fielded four brigades of line infantry (each one four bases), two brigades of dragoons and one battery of foot artillery. The defending side had two brigades less. Even with full armies, the pace of the game meant that it would have been over in 2-3 hours.

The only real speed bump was the turn sequence. You start with making reactions to your opponents phase, such as firing weapons or trying to change formations. Then you resolve any combats, which means that in your turn you only resolve combats that your opponent initiated. After that you make your moves, including your charges (which will then be resolved in your opponents turn). This works out well, since it means that you get the chance to fire upon charging brigades or form last-minute squares, but it was confusing at first to remember exactly which player's turn it was!

As expected from a Napoleonics game, much of it resolves around using formations properly. Infantry on a line can fire more, but has a lower density in a melée, and a column is very good for marching, but also very bad if someone is shooting or charging you. The second part is disruption. As you get fired upon or get repulsed when charging, your units gets more and more disrupted. Disrupted units can still fire just as well, but they get a lot easier to rout in a melee.

I was impressed with what this meant for cavalry, as they get disrupted even when winning a melee. This means that cavalry are, correctly, very strong against infantry that are not prepared for a charge. But even when running down panicked infantrymen, their order deteriorates until they reach a point where they are easily chased away with a good volley. This happened a lot in the period, with reckless cavalry pursuits leading to the victorious units themselves becoming worthless as strategic entities on the battlefield. All this means that the use of cavalry means a lot more headscratching than other games I've played.

As a whole, everything just 'clicks': the balance and unique roles of cavalry, infantry and artillery, the formations, and the army organization. Even if I find other periods more interesting historically or aesthetically, I can now say that I have more of an understanding of why Napoleonics is such a juggernaut in historical gaming. Army scale wargames simply have an easier time to represent warfare that works like Napoleonic warfare, and it is a kind of warfare that is very interesting on an army scale level.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well that's a pretty glowing review really. I'll have to give it a go.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Hail Caesar, Black Powder and Force on Force are the default suggestions here.

Danke. Those can be 15mm ya?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Herr Tog posted:

Danke. Those can be 15mm ya?

They can all be pretty much whatever scale you want.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Force on Force starts getting awkward below 10mil and you start having to invent rules for moving fireteams as one and keeping notes on who is alive and who is dead but other than that they are all scale-less.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
So if I use 1/72 scale figures for force on force, I can just go ahead and use the regular ranges in the book for things, or do I need to adjust the scale?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Not sure what the new edition says, but in the first edition they suggested doubling the ranges for 20mm-28mm to make it look better. The rules still work fine, though. I'd say 20mm is borderline, because the basic ranges are meant to look right with 15mm figures, and a lot of those are more like 18mm.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I play it with 1/72, and the book even says 1/72 (or 20mm) is a perfect scale for the game.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Excellent. I went with 1/72nd because access to plastic soldiers and vehicles was cheap as chips, thus making it a cheap game to run. Good to hear I made the right decision.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You made the exact right decision. It can be run and run well for an investment of no more than 10 euro after buying the rulebook. 20mil is CHEAP.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok here is a pic of the plastic miniatures I mentioned in my previous post:

Any idea what brand they might be and where I can get more like them for (relatively) cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Perry miniatures perhaps? The plastic ones they sell in large unit boxes?