Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CestMoi posted:

There's a load of mods that add the ability to play as Muslims already, for example, Wiz's CK2Plus mod. You need to register your copy of CK2 to look at the mod forum but that's not too difficult, once you've got an account just click My Games in the top bar and enter your CD key.

Yeah, but the thread told me that there was an 'official' CK2 expansion coming out with stuff for said Muslim rulers, so I'll just wait for that and compare the two later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Major_JF posted:

General question for the castle. Have you bought a game because someone LPed it?
The flipside of this is, have you not bought a game because someone LPed it?

For me it took an LP for me to buy a few games because they didn't have a demo or I never heard of them.
And no, a LP has never caused me not to buy a game that I was considering buying.

I'm convinced a large chunk of the sales of Dominions 3 are because of the various LPs that have been done here of it, my copy included.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Major_JF posted:

General question for the castle. Have you bought a game because someone LPed it?
The flipside of this is, have you not bought a game because someone LPed it?

For me it took an LP for me to buy a few games because they didn't have a demo or I never heard of them.
And no, a LP has never caused me not to buy a game that I was considering buying.

Yeah, I'd heard bad things about the Wolfenstein reboot, but Your Evil Twin did a bang up job of reminding me of the values that Wolfenstein espouses, even in the remake: Killing Nazis with incredibly deadly superweapons!

There have been a couple of others, but mostly I buy games either because I think I'll enjoy them, or I think they might make good LPs (which, with few exceptions, amounts to the same thing for me). Which leads to another question for the thread...

...How many of you have bought a game because you thought it might be good for an LP, and then found it utter, utter poo poo?

I can count two just in the past year, and a couple more previously. These include such "masterpieces" as Judge Dredd: Dredd Versus Death, Disciples 3, and The Black Sun Project.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JamieTheD posted:

...How many of you have bought a game because you thought it might be good for an LP, and then found it utter, utter poo poo?

I can count two just in the past year, and a couple more previously. These include such "masterpieces" as Judge Dredd: Dredd Versus Death, Disciples 3, and The Black Sun Project.

I've not bought a game with the intention of doing an LP, but I have gone through my library between LPs to see what I would want to play. There wee a few that looked good on paper, but playing them wasn't fun for me and wasn't fun to watch. I ended up doing GRAW without testing it out, which was a mistake.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed - Let's Play Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption is a sandbox game in the style of Grand Theft Auto, set in the Old West. It was developed by Rockstar San Diego and published by Rockstar Games. It was released for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 in May 2010. I'll be playing the PS3 version.

About the game

Red Dead Redemption is set in 1911 during the decline of the Old West, in and around the fictitious state of New Austin. The game is centered around John Marston, former outlaw and gang runner. Marston spends his days as a farmer, but the Federal Government swoop down and kidnap his wife and child, holding them ransom in exchange for his co-operation in hunting down and capturing one his old gang members, Bill Williamson. Marston's interactions with the residents of New Austin form a series of stories that flesh out the in-game world and give it incredible depth and beauty.

The game is massive, and involves a ton of travelling from place to place (usually by horseback). I won't put you guys through that, though. Any non-mission related travelling will be cut out, because having 30 minute videos where half of it is riding to the destination isn't really that fun. I'll probably also be cutting down on travelling during missions when there isn't any dialogue - but I'll see when it comes down to that.

I'm going for a 100% run which hopefully won't be too hard. I've done it before but that was a couple of years ago. Should be a piece of cake.

Videos

Test Video - YouTube

Please let me know what you think of video/audio/commentary etc.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BFC posted:

The forum these days has gotten away from just sitting down and playing a game together, so let's do just that.

Let's Play some Board Games.
Shouldn't this be in Play-by-post? Looks a lot like the games going on there.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=103
Check those out, see if you agree or not.

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!

MeccaPrime posted:

You appear to be doing something really similar to what I proposed last week. I'm not generally opposed to two threads for the same game, but only when they're markedly different from each other. Since it seems that you'll probably start this thing before I do, I suppose I'll pass the mantle on to you and figure out something else to do. No need for me to go through all that work subtitling mission segments when there's basically the same thread going on.

Good luck!

Oh, my bad. I didn't even know someone else was doing Fusion. I don't mean to compete or try and take over the spot for fusion or anything like that. But hey, good luck to you too.

Signal Interrupt
Dec 31, 2011

Danzel Glovington posted:

Alright guys I'm back, my Mystical Ninja LP OP ... adjustments and ... new short test videos

I compared the flash video player's stats between the old and new videos to make sure I wasn't crazy for not seeing any improvement, and it shows the same extremely low framerate for the new videos. If you think you've already done basically everything you can to fix it, with no results, then I wouldn't personally begrudge you for going ahead with the thread as it is. But I mean, it is pretty bad.

Does it look like < ~10 fps when you're actually playing it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Going back to the board game thread idea, I floated around a similar idea before, except focusing on less well-known games to introduce people to the awesome board games that exist beyond the likes of Monopoly and Risk. Also, the focus would be on showing off the rules and general strategies of the games and less on actual playing, since that kind of stuff probably belongs more on the Play By Post forum anyway. In particular, I'd show off a couple of my favorites and then invite others to show off their favorite board games in similar ways.

So perhaps instead of doing board games everyone already knows and are familiar with, instead you could show off games people are less familiar with, thus exposing people to new games while still keeping the "people goofing around on Skype" atmosphere. God knows there's a ton of awesome board games you could do this with. Of course, it still comes down to whether it'd be better suited in Play By Post than here, but I'd love to have a thread that exposes more people to less-known board games, and this forum would be great for doing that.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Wasn't it said somewhere that games tend to go in Play By Post if it involves recruiting people to play? In the test post he said they already had a set group of people and wouldn't be getting anyone new, which I assume would mean it belongs in LP.

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue
Also, Play By Post is for, y'know, playing games on a post-to-post basis, right?

That doesn't really fit what he's trying to do at all, sitting down and playing the game all at once, with the skypecall going.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Sudden Javelin posted:

Wasn't it said somewhere that games tend to go in Play By Post if it involves recruiting people to play? In the test post he said they already had a set group of people and wouldn't be getting anyone new, which I assume would mean it belongs in LP.
This. I'm not looking to recruit, only goof off with goons I know.

Mega64 posted:

So perhaps instead of doing board games everyone already knows and are familiar with, instead you could show off games people are less familiar with, thus exposing people to new games while still keeping the "people goofing around on Skype" atmosphere. God knows there's a ton of awesome board games you could do this with. Of course, it still comes down to whether it'd be better suited in Play By Post than here, but I'd love to have a thread that exposes more people to less-known board games, and this forum would be great for doing that.
Man, I love this idea. This was originally what I was going for: including fun games everyone's familiar with, along with hidden gems in Board Games that I had a great time playing as a kid with family and friends.

The problem with the idea is that you have to find an online multiplayer version of each one, and that is a very, very hard task. If you have any suggestions as to where I can find said online versions, I'm all ear. Just don't go :filez: on me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BFC posted:

Man, I love this idea. This was originally what I was going for: including fun games everyone's familiar with, along with hidden gems in Board Games that I had a great time playing as a kid with family and friends.

The problem with the idea is that you have to find an online multiplayer version of each one, and that is a very, very hard task. If you have any suggestions as to where I can find said online versions, I'm all ear. Just don't go :filez: on me.

Vassal is compatible with a lot of games, though the interface for some modules can be clunky and you'll have to rely on your group to follow the rules accurately, usually. I also see BrettspielWelt thrown around as a good place to play board games online, though I've never tried it for myself. I think there's a similar site, but I don't remember what it is or how good it is. And there's several sites that are built around some of the more popular types of these games.

And that's not getting into games that are available on the likes of the 360 Arcade and iOS, though those would obviously be harder to LP with.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Vassal is compatible with a lot of games, though the interface for some modules can be clunky and you'll have to rely on your group to follow the rules accurately, usually. I also see BrettspielWelt thrown around as a good place to play board games online, though I've never tried it for myself. I think there's a similar site, but I don't remember what it is or how good it is. And there's several sites that are built around some of the more popular types of these games.
Congratulations. You just saved LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nah. If anything, I just ruined it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

If you have to gif everything you should just make a video.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mega64 posted:

Vassal is compatible with a lot of games, though the interface for some modules can be clunky and you'll have to rely on your group to follow the rules accurately, usually.

I prefer ACTS for card tracking and dice rolling, with Cyberboard used to keep the game board up to date...modules for practically every board game can be found at Limey Yank Games (approved by the manufacturers).

Currently playing a couple of games of Paths of Glory, Here I Stand, and Virgin Queen this way.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Mega64 posted:

If anything I actually think this is really well done and clean looking. I assume it's a joke post but I'd still watch it.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Niggurath posted:

If anything I actually think this is really well done and clean looking. I assume it's a joke post but I'd still watch it.

Every once in a while I feel like you and me are posting on the same wavelength.

Then you say you'd watch a SSLP of SMB3 and that feeling goes away.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Absolutely anything can be LPed in any fashion with the right mind behind it.

Or a K-hole of some sort.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Proteus4994 posted:

Every once in a while I feel like you and me are posting on the same wavelength.

Aye, but this is coming from a standpoint where someone has done a screenshot LP of Resident Evil 4 and someone on the previous page was offering the idea of an LP of Monopoly. For some reason the idea of a screen shot LP of SMB3 didn't seem so bad. I do always feel a tad bit down though when I remember you seem to mentally compare me with Deceased Crab; I do respect your opinion and your willingness to state it, I sometimes feel that either people are not apt or feel they might be too critical in their opinions. You though usually seem apt to give it and it's something people need to try to do more often at times.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Proteus4994 posted:

Not that I think this is a good idea, but I don't think you can call this a SSLP. SSLP implies still, static screenshots - these are like pseudo-videos.

Interesting approach though I don't think it's a particularly effective one. Not for this game, anyways.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
I was really just being snarky. :v:

In reality, the level of effort needed to do an LP like that would totally outweigh the benefit. It's neat but I don't see any situation where it'd be better than video.

Edit: I do sorta feel compelled to respond to this though.

Niggurath posted:

I do always feel a tad bit down though when I remember you seem to mentally compare me with Deceased Crab

I don't do that at all actually. Your attitude is nothing like DC's and you seem like you genuinely want to help LPers which is definitely not a thing I remember DC doing very often. It was really just an offhanded comment about how you sorta appeared and started cranking out the LPs, same as he used to do. I didn't meant for you to take it seriously or anything. My bad.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheGreatGuy posted:

Also, Play By Post is for, y'know, playing games on a post-to-post basis, right?

That doesn't really fit what he's trying to do at all, sitting down and playing the game all at once, with the skypecall going.

There's also a Risk LP in the archives, so there's precedent.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I always think it's funny when the word "precedent"gets used in the context of LPs.

Also the board game LP sounds cool and I say go for it.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Vicas posted:

I always think it's funny when the word "precedent"gets used in the context of LPs.

Also the board game LP sounds cool and I say go for it.

LP precedent can, in fact, be quoted in legal memos and appellate briefs, in many cases, it is more compelling than a Supreme Court decision. If the precedent is set by an LP Superstar, only a statute holds more persuasive power.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

CommissarMega posted:

There's also a Risk LP in the archives, so there's precedent.
I have to read how well the Battletech LP is going because if you can LP a Battletech game you can LP any game. Though Battletech does actually have a ton of background to talk about though outside of most other games.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Brassherald posted:

LP precedent can, in fact, be quoted in legal memos and appellate briefs, in many cases, it is more compelling than a Supreme Court decision. If the precedent is set by an LP Superstar, only a statute holds more persuasive power.

Now as to why my blind LP employed little to no editing and contained several video containing no progress whatsoever, I'd like to cite Slowbeef vs. Metroid Prime...

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Jenner posted:

Camel Pimp posted:

Tithin Melias posted:

Are you planning on doing Lunar 2? I never actually finished that game - got all the way to the last dungeon but rana out of mana / healing items on the second last floor.
I really, really hope to. I may not get to it immediately after this game, but I love the hell out of Lunar 2 and more people need to see it.
If he doesn't, I might.

Hey guys, look what I dug out of storage.

This will be a Screen Shot LP, I will include either links to or host the animated FMV sequences myself and I will be supplying music via tindeck links because the CD has all the music on it.

However, Althena took pity on that world and transformed it into a place of beauty and wonder.
She called that new world Lunar. Time and circumstance soon forced Althena to populate Lunar
with people from the Blue Star. And, just as on the Blue Star, life was held in a delicate balance.
Through times of peace, war, chaos, and battle the Blue Star loomed large as the only constant
in the new world. Thousands of years passed, burying the origins and purpose of the Blue Star in
the sands of time. Eventually, the inhabitants of Lunar forgot why the Blue Star was there or how
it came to be. Until a girl awakened that could join the two worlds...
Or tear them apart forever.

Back in the mid-to-late nineties and early aughts was a period of time known as the Golden Age of RPGs. This was an era when the love of the art and the game mattered more than the profit of its sales. Yes, that's right, once upon a time video games were good, really good. This is one of those games.

Lunar: Eternal Blue is a sequel to Lunar: The Silver Star, it was released in 1995 and sold well. It was one of the first games of its age to utilize fully voice acted FMVs. They did it long before Final Fantasy X, and with much greater quality. The Lunar series is known for its beautiful musical score (thanks to famed composer Noriyuki Iwadare) and colorful dialog (thanks to Working Designs.)

Lunar has a sordid history, known for its countless remakes and lovely prequel NOTHING ELSE. But, Lunar is the series that got me into RPGs and gaming. Lunar: Eternal Blue is one of my all time favorite games ranking among such front-liners like Final Fantasy IX and Phantasy Star 3. Along the journey I will be sharing with you this world and some neat little tidbits as well as providing my own failing efforts at humor.

It is an understatement to say that I hold a great deal of love for this amazing game. Lunar: Eternal Blue is truly a beautiful experience and I strongly recommend those of you who can to join me in this adventure do so.

Now then, let's begin.

With a desolate wasteland

But there's something in the flurry...

A grand spire, and within...

A crystal.

Okay... more than a crystal.

A young woman, rests dreaming...

That's... gonna leave a mark.

Welp.

Going...

Down

So, while we're going through this pretty large intro...

Let's tell you a little bit about what's going on in these scenes.

Big evil monster looms and menaces, lightening around it suggests it is making a mess of things.

As an aside, I find it amusing that Victor Ireland's name is on the monster screen but that's neither here nor there.

People take up arms against it...

And each other.

With predictable results.

The survivors pray for salvation.

It comes in the form of evacuation.

But someone stays back, interred and guarded in a crystal.

Now, she walks through the ruins of what's left behind.

Alone.

Clean up in aisle everything.

"This is not the time for my awakening... Something's gone terribly wrong."

Oh hey, that looks familiar where have I seen that before...

Oh... right.

"Oh no, Lunar."

And now for somewhere completely different.

Eventually we'll navigate through the long, but beautiful and awesome, introductory sequence. We'll then be introduced to, and be put in control of, the main character, Hiro, and his companion Ruby.

Hiro is a semi-silent protagonist, in that he is not just a vacant proxy for the player to project themselves into. But rather, his own person who has character development. This characterization is not dumped on you all at once, but slowly cultivated over the course of the game. Hiro speaks in cut scenes and has lines of dialog that're more than just ellipsis.

Oh, thanks for that, rear end in a top hat.

Anyway, let's get down to the nitty gritty, controls, display, and combat.
In the bottom right you'll see names hit points and magic points of your current line up, that is always down there except during FMVs and other unique situations. Pressing what would be the "C" brings up the menu and displays your party.

Quick rundown of the menu, Right now we've just got Hiro and Ruby in our party, and you can see them in the line up. The character that is selected steps forward in the line-up. Here we have Hiro selected, and to the left ate the options Magic, Equip, Item, Status.

Equip is pretty self explanatory, it lets you change out your gear. Status is also pretty easy to get, it shows you your current stats and how far you are from your next level.

You would think the Item and Magic commands would also be pretty intuitive, and they are, you have the option to use and drop items but there's a new gimmick and we can see it when we select Item.

Ruby? What the gently caress does that mean? Well, let me explain. Just like in its predecessor, the mascot character of this game acts as the save function. However, this game also added extra utility such as the ability to store items. Increasing your inventory space (which was a major complaint of the original)

Ruby's ability to store extra items is also the source of a really neat game bug/glitch that I'll be getting into much, much later... (the glitch has it's own story.)

Anyway, lets take a look at Hiro's magic.

Hiro has two spells, Boomerang a wind element spell, and Poe Sword a martial attack. Both spells cost MP and both only target one enemy. But, there's a catch... In the previous Lunar game you gained spells as you leveled. That's not the case in Eternal Blue.

How do I level my magic, you may ask. Well,

Ruby ALSO has the magic command! When I first saw this back in 1995 I was psyched. I thought this meant I could control the mascot character! It doesn't. In this game your elemental spells must be leveled up by investing Magic Experience (M) into them...

Poe Sword and other martial skills will unlock as Hiro advances in level, however.

Anyway, Ruby also has other commands, Item, Tactic, and System. Item opens the item storage and you can use items from there. Tactic lets you set up macros to make battles a little faster (and I'll show that off later.) It also lets you set your field position by selecting the order command.

Why? Because in Lunar, your characters have movement. They'll move around the field and field position plays a vital part of the game. You'll see this in action very soon.

System is where you save and load, and it comes with its own catch.

It costs Magic Exp (M) to save, Magic Exp is the same thing you need to level up your spells. There were some huge complaints about this back in the day, but I really like it. It adds a bit of danger.

However, Fusion has a save state function that I can exploit. Though, I'll probably opt not to.

Also, word of advice for those playing along at home. Don't level up Hiro's magic, you'll rarely use it.

But enough talk, let's see this in action!

Bulettes this early in the game? WTF DM, this'll be a TPK.

Right, so, combat.

AI has your character act according to the computer's whims. The AI isn't actually that stupid in this game (considering other AIs of its day, like Vay's.) But, it's inferior to human control. Tact lets you select one of those macros you set up via Ruby's menu. Run tries to escape and has a low success chance. (I've actually never succeeded in a Run and I think it's just a trick to get you to kill yourself.) Selecting CMND (short for command) brings you into a new menu.

AI is the game's way of asking if you're absolutely sure you don't want it to kill you. Magc lets you select spells. Defend raises your defense and makes you run to a new location on the screen. Atk attacks, Item uses an item and Run is suicide.

Let's see that magic in action, or as a celebrity on MTV Cribs would say, "Here's where the magic happens."

"Squish squash, sling that slang! I'm always right back at ya, like my...
"
-Sokka

He wondered why the boomerang was getting closer, and then it hit him. :downsrim:

Alright let's see what this one does.

:krad:

The enemies also have their own skills, and enemies will project what attack they're gonna use via sprite behavior. The sharks will spit rings of sand at you or belly flop you.

The ring attack is projected by them bouncing with their heads above the sand (I think)

The belly flop is projected by the shark being under the sand with just its fin out.

All enemy types (even bosses) have their own unique animations and tells for giving away what they're about to do. The winning strategy is to learn what those tells are to properly prepare. I'll be showing animations and explaining the associated attacks of each boss. (And maybe some enemies.:effort:)

Oh I almost forgot, both the player and the enemies have a small chance of scoring a critical hit on a melee attack, when you do it gets its own unique animation which looks like this:

Additionally, you can tell how injured an enemy is by how it reacts to your melee attacks. If, when you hit an enemy, it is moved from its position and away from the attacker it means its low on HP and near death.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 14, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Balgaer posted:

So how are you planning on doing the hunting in the game? And do you plan on doing the DLC as well, cause I think that would really add to the overall LP. Otherwise the video looks good and it'll be good to see someone pick this up after Organic Robot dropped his (I think he was the one that did it before). I just hope you're in for the long haul cause I remember getting a 100% did take quite a bit of time.

TwoPair posted:

Now as to why my blind LP employed little to no editing and contained several video containing no progress whatsoever, I'd like to cite Slowbeef vs. Metroid Prime...
Ah yes, I've had that court case brought before me regarding the Niggurath vs. RunButton hearing of 2012. Truly a landmark case that ummmm raised all the stakes?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Proteus4994 posted:

In reality, the level of effort needed to do an LP like that would totally outweigh the benefit.

It's actually not that hard thanks to AvsPmod. I think that update actually took less time than a regular-sized update in my current LP. Plus there'd be less GIFs in the future since the first level is all about demonstration.

As is, this was sort of a proof of concept of an idea I've been throwing around rather than a serious idea I was planning to pursue. If I did LP SMB3, it would most likely be video, probably one where I'd have a ton of people guest once for a couple levels and simply talk to them about how the Mario series has affected them.

That said, I would argue there's a couple situations where a screenshot LP of a platforming game may be more beneficial than a video:

* A LP with an emphasis on speed running, tool-assisted and no. In this scenario, the LPer would probably rather highlight key frames and go in-depth on the important techniques to use in those instances using a SSLP format rather than try to handle that in a video LP, though of course even then it'd be better as a hybrid to show off said speed running skills.

* A LPer has way too much interesting stuff to say about a game, so much so that it wouldn't fit on a video, perhaps due to the game itself being short. Of course, that's almost never the case.

Of course, this theoretical LP doesn't fall into either case, but it seemed like a fun idea, and I like what came out of it. I probably won't pursue it, and even if I do, it won't be for a few months anyway as I'm busy with another LP, but I figured I'd give it a try to see if it'd work and then show it off for laughs.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Niggurath posted:

So how are you planning on doing the hunting in the game? And do you plan on doing the DLC as well, cause I think that would really add to the overall LP. Otherwise the video looks good and it'll be good to see someone pick this up after Organic Robot dropped his (I think he was the one that did it before). I just hope you're in for the long haul cause I remember getting a 100% did take quite a bit of time.

Do you mean the Hunting Challenge? I'll probably only show the harder challenges, because a video where I kill five coyotes or whatever doesn't seem interesting to me. Gang Hideouts and Strangers etc would probably go in bonus videos, but I'll tackle that when I come to it.

I haven't played the DLC yet but it's something I wouldn't mind looking at, but again that's a bit of a way off.

Yeah, I'm in a circumstance at the moment where I have a lot of free time, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your input!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Belgaer posted:

Is a 100% run necessary? I mean sure there's a lot to show off, but once you've seen one bounty mission or hunting challenge, you've seen them all. Seems like you'd end up with a lot of interchangable bonus videos.

Niggurath posted:

And do you plan on doing the DLC as well, cause I think that would really add to the overall LP.

Do you mean the Undead Nightmare DLC? Because I don't think it would - what plot it has is disjointed and stupid in a boring way and the gameplay is repetitive and tiresome to actually play, let alone watch. LPing it would involve editing out just about everything to the point where each video would be a cutscene reel.

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 12, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If I might add one more post to the earlier discussion about buying games based on LPs, I was one of at least thirty people who bought Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts based on Rooreelooo's LP of it. I think that thread even sold a few Xboxes.

Also the ongoing legal-precedent analogy is kind of silly but the Risk LP was objectively awesome and I'm in favor of anything that gets us more content like that. As long as we don't get oversaturated like we were with Diplomacy LPs.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crane Fist posted:

Is a 100% run necessary? I mean sure there's a lot to show off, but once you've seen one bounty mission or hunting challenge, you've seen them all. Seems like you'd end up with a lot of interchangable bonus videos.

That's when you bring in guests and bullshit your way over everything. As long as it's still entertaining, that's all that really matters.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That's when you bring in guests and bullshit your way over everything. As long as it's still entertaining, that's all that really matters.

No, that's when you use the magic of editing. Just because they do all the samey stuff doesn't mean we need to see every iteration.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jenner posted:

Yea or Nay? I'm having a hard time not getting the sound to bug out at certain points while recording the cut scenes and FMVs in specific places (seems to occur most often during Ruby Dialog which might be a blessing when you think about it.) I'm using Fusion and running directly off the CD. So any help sorting that would be appreciated.
Let's see...

- Your title is bad.

- Your screenshots are incredibly artifacted and jagged, but that's okay because .jpgs are supposed to look that way*.

- Your test post is five screens and a comment.

- In those five screens, you have said nothing of interest.

- Your only joke or comment is "a naked woman exists," which is reused from the thread title.

- You provide no background or insight into the game beyond an out-of-focus picture of the CD.

0/10 see me after class.

Provide a full update (preferably from the first dungeon so there's some gameplay or something, rather than just the first update), work on making your screenshots less bad, and rebuild your commentary from the ground up so that it's either informative or funny.

*That is not actually okay. Don't use .jpgs for screenshots.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Jenner posted:

[/pre]

Yea or Nay? I'm having a hard time not getting the sound to bug out at certain points while recording the cut scenes and FMVs in specific places (seems to occur most often during Ruby Dialog which might be a blessing when you think about it.) I'm using Fusion and running directly off the CD. So any help sorting that would be appreciated.

Your images aren't very well done. I never had a Sega CD, so I could be wrong - but I don't think it used a 170:81 (according to Image Properties) Aspect Ratio. In fact, I've never seen anything run in 1042 x 502.

You should definitely put the game back in native mode (presumably 4:3, so 640x480) and capture either as high quality JPGs or as PNGs. And yes, you're sorely lacking in content for the test post.

FactsAreUseless posted:

- Your screenshots are incredibly artifacted and jagged, but that's okay because .jpgs are supposed to look that way*.

*That is not actually okay. Don't use .jpgs for screenshots.

A high quality JPG will give almost the same detail as a PNG for a fraction of the image size when used with anything but sprite-based games, I believe.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 13, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SourceElement posted:

You should definitely put the game back in native mode (presumably 4:3, so 640x480)

320×224 or 256x224, not sure which Lunar 2 uses or even why it has two listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

320×224 or 256x224, not sure which Lunar 2 uses or even why it has two listed.

256x224 is 8:7, which as far as I know is the native aspect ratio of an SNES game. 320x224 is 10:7, and I have no idea what the hell uses that.

• Locked thread