Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Man, what a ripoff. Glad I landed a decent plan a couple months back. We have some obscenely bad cellular service in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Welp, glad I love my Droid 4, I guess. Not like there seems to be anyone lining up to make phones I want anyways.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Verizon Wireless Megathread: June 28, 2012 - Bend over, please.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So it looks like if you take a discounted upgrade out of unlimited, you don't have to take a shared package, but if you don't then you'll end up having to take a $30/2GB data bucket.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

The Verizon Wireless Megathread: June 28, 2012 - Bend over, please.

BOHICAWOKY! I was hoping that they would be pretty decent but I'm not entirely sure what to think about it. I'm also curious as to what portions of the bill will be eligible for employee discounts.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

If I were Sprint, I'd be doing whatever the hell I could to get some better spectrum and spreading coverage as hard and fast as I could. They stand to make money hand-over-fist if they can capitalize on VZW basically giving their client base two middle fingers.

vv Oh I know. I'm just saying, if I were a decision maker there, I'd be putting every spare resource towards making it happen.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 12, 2012

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kyrosiris posted:

If I were Sprint, I'd be doing whatever the hell I could to get some better spectrum and spreading coverage as hard and fast as I could. They stand to make money hand-over-fist if they can capitalize on VZW basically giving their client base two middle fingers.

That types out a lot easier than it actually is to accomplish. Sprint has all sorts of troubles not to mention actually putting up towers is the easy part - getting the space and approval to have them is what takes forever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Exec 1: "People aren't using voice and texts as much now since they communicate though the internet!"

Exec 2: "Yes, people are just opting for the most minimal voice/text plans we have and mainly using data on their phones!"

Exec 3: "I know, we'll just force them to pay for unlimited voice and text!"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

vv Oh I know. I'm just saying, if I were a decision maker there, I'd be putting every spare resource towards making it happen.

They're working on it. They have backhaul issues, which can only be solved with money.

On the good side, though, they're working with the FCC to allow them to use their 800MHz iDEN space for EV-DO and LTE data. If they manage that, then their building penetration will be much better than the absolute zero they get right now, which will be huge for them.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Right now my wife and I have a shared plan (minutes and text only) which is $93 a month. We had talked about getting smartphones and getting data but we did not want to pay $60 more a month. When I heard Verizon was doing shared data plans, we were both excited. Now, we have no idea. Before we would have to get two 2gb data plans for $30 a piece. When the shared data comes into affect, we would get one 2 gb data plan to share between us for $60.

This new shared data plan no longer seems like an incentive for us to upgrade.

What prepaid carriers use Verizon's network? Some carriers offer $45 for unlimited talk, text and data so we could do both of us for around $90. The major thing keeping us with Verizon was the idea of data on their network.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I was really hoping these new plans would make it attractive to switch off unlimited for some people.

What they did was give everyone unlimited voice, which no one gives a poo poo about, and charge MORE for capped data.

I need to find a new line of work, I am getting to old for this poo poo.

But hey....FREE HOTSPOT!

I know a lot of people hate the idea of a contract on a tablet, but say goodbye to any subsidized pricing on tablets as well.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mighty Horse:

Will you (and other parties) be getting SGS3 stock before the 28th?

If my only option is existing stock (RAZR MAXX, etc) and maybe the Incredible 4G LTE, I'll be supremely pissed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Right now my wife and I have a shared plan (minutes and text only) which is $93 a month. We had talked about getting smartphones and getting data but we did not want to pay $60 more a month. When I heard Verizon was doing shared data plans, we were both excited. Now, we have no idea. Before we would have to get two 2gb data plans for $30 a piece. When the shared data comes into affect, we would get one 2 gb data plan to share between us for $60.

This new shared data plan no longer seems like an incentive for us to upgrade.

What prepaid carriers use Verizon's network? Some carriers offer $45 for unlimited talk, text and data so we could do both of us for around $90. The major thing keeping us with Verizon was the idea of data on their network.

Straight Talk isn't prepaid, per-se, but they have $45/month unlimited and use CDMA phones if you're in the right area.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The Verge has plenty of coverage of how crap this is: (I didn't see this linked)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/12/3080245/verizons-share-everything-plans-miss-the-mark

So let's see, about $40-50 a month right now for a pseudo unlimited plan (those family plans that let you do the "these numbers are free" things) + $30/phone for unlimited data. I only use about 300 minutes outside of those family circle number things or whatever it's called.
or I could choose to go with the new plan of: $100 + $40/device and a 10GB cap across all phones (which we will bypass in a month easily).

Gee, which of these sounds like a better deal? this would double my costs. No loving thank you.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Exec 1: "People aren't using voice and texts as much now since they communicate though the internet!"

Exec 2: "Yes, people are just opting for the most minimal voice/text plans we have and mainly using data on their phones!"

Exec 3: "I know, we'll just force them to pay for unlimited voice and text!"

Minutes and texts aren't the issue. For what I'm paying for 450 minutes, I'd get unlimited minutes and texts under the new scheme. It's that data is going up by a lot. (and I don't even care about unlimited. I use less than 3gb a month, so that doesn't hurt me now.)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
gently caress. Well, guess I'll be burning my upgrade before the 28th. Either Inc4g, or the Razr Maxx. And unless the girlfriend really wants to hop onto a family plan, I'll stick with my current plan until they kick me off, then hop to a more reasonable carrier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Athenry posted:

Minutes and texts aren't the issue. For what I'm paying for 450 minutes, I'd get unlimited minutes and texts under the new scheme. It's that data is going up by a lot. (and I don't even care about unlimited. I use less than 3gb a month, so that doesn't hurt me now.)

The plan structures are completely different to the point where you can't make that comparison. Under the old scheme you paid for a minute/text plan and then paid for a data add on. Now, they are forcing you into a higher voice/text tier and bundling it in with the data. It's not so much the data is getting more expensive, it's they are forcing you to take unlimited voice/text. Assume you are paying the same price/GB as before and it becomes clear where the rate hike is.

Basically, Verizon saw that too many people were getting by on the basic $69.99 700 minute family share plan and minimal messaging plans, so they decided to force everyone to a higher voice/messaging tier.

What REALLY went up is texting price. Consider before you could pay $30 for a full family share plan to have unlimited texting and pay $9.99 per line as long as you didn't have the unlimited minutes plan. Now dumbphones are $30 per line and smartphones are $40 per line. That's a $20-$30 price increase per line. Consider a family of 4, all with dumbphones, and you can see instead of paying $30 for 3 additional lines and $30 for unlimited texting (for a total of $60), they now pay $90 (3x$30). That's a 50% increase. Sure they get some data now, but they likely aren't using it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 12, 2012

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I want to add another line (dumbphone for kid) should I do it before the 28th as well?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Something I was wondering was; if you upgrade after the 28th, are you forced into a data plan? Can you just get a family plan with minutes and texts only?

Also, does an employer's discount count for everything (line access fees and your plan) or only your plan?

Example: Using my previous information:

Smartphone Access Fee $40
Smartphone Access Fee $40
2gb Shared Plan $60

TOTAL $140

Is a 20% discount going to knock off $28 (everything) or only $12 (shared plan only)?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I left my AT&T unlimited data plan to get a thunderbolt with unlimited 4g, put up with your stupid 4g build out issues and nationwide outages, upgraded phones not once but TWICE on my own dime to get something that wasn't absolute poo poo, and now you're going to tell me that you're going to force me to pay full price on all phones going forward in order to stay with your stupid battery eating dinosaur CDMA network that has absolute poo poo for 3g speeds and loses 4g when you look at it funny?

Bloodsucking parasites.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

AppleCobbler posted:

I left my AT&T unlimited data plan to get a thunderbolt with unlimited 4g, put up with your stupid 4g build out issues and nationwide outages, upgraded phones not once but TWICE on my own dime to get something that wasn't absolute poo poo, and now you're going to tell me that you're going to force me to pay full price on all phones going forward in order to stay with your stupid battery eating dinosaur CDMA network that has absolute poo poo for 3g speeds and loses 4g when you look at it funny?

Bloodsucking parasites.

I hear you. I bought a Thunderbolt last year, and I paid the extra $70 to only have a one year contract. (Yet another thing Verizon has killed off.) I'm really tired of this phone, but the Galaxy Nexus hardware left me very underwhelmed. I was holding out for something else, but I might just get one now to extend the contract and then buy something else later.

Is there really much of a chance at this point that Verizon releases the Incredible LTE or Razr HD before this deadline? I expect that now that this has been announced they won't release anything of note before the 28th.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

You could pre-order the GS3 now and then just leave it in the box when you get it. Then turn it around for enough to buy whatever is available at retail and go that way.

That's my current plan right now, since it looks pretty clear that the RAZR HD isn't going to drop this month.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So is it still possible to keep my unlimited by pre-ordering a GS3? Because I'd really rather not have to settle for a GNex/Razr but there's no way I'm going back to a 2gb data cap.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Mighty Horse:

Will you (and other parties) be getting SGS3 stock before the 28th?

If my only option is existing stock (RAZR MAXX, etc) and maybe the Incredible 4G LTE, I'll be supremely pissed.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/05/verizons-galaxy-siii-orders-will-ship-by-july-6/

According to Droid-life Verizon wont even be shipping preorders of the SIII till july 9th so it doesnt look good.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-verizon-share-everything-details-20120612,0,1106995.story

According to the LA Times:

quote:

Verizon Wireless customers can opt to keep their existing plans if they wish, including users with grandfathered unlimited data plans -- although they will be required to pay the unsubsidized price the next time they want to buy a new phone if they want to keep their unlimited data.

New customers will not be foreced to get a plan under "Share Everything." Verizon will keep usage-based plans and allow customers the option to pay for voice, message and data differently.
So it sounds like no one will be forced to take these plans. If you want a subsidized price, you lose your grandfathered unlimited data (boo), but you don't need to get on a share everything plan. Or you can pay full price for a phone and keep your existing plan with unlimited data.

The plan is definitely not for everyone. With two smartphones with unlimited data and my wife streaming Siris-XM at work most days, we'd get boned with a shared plan (today is the last day of the cycle and we've only useed 107 minutes and 130 texts, but 8GB of data), whereas my co-worker with three smartphones and two feature phones with low data usage will end up saving a decent amount each month.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My biggest issue is we are getting unlimited data for $10 on both our iphones through a promotion they were doing a couple years back. Not only would i lose that promo but the price would go up even without the promo.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yall think i will I be able to preorder the S3 through Amazon before this kicks in? I've got a bunch of Amazon bux saved, that plus no tax would lighten the load on the credit card this month.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This is probably a really stupid question but I'm having trouble following exactly how this switch works.

My wife and I signed up with Verizon right before they discontinued the unlimited data plans. That was early last year so we're due for upgrades early next year.

When/If we upgrade, will we be forced into the new Share Everything Plan, or will we be able to stay with unlimited for one more contract/upgrade term?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ornamented Death posted:

This is probably a really stupid question but I'm having trouble following exactly how this switch works.

My wife and I signed up with Verizon right before they discontinued the unlimited data plans. That was early last year so we're due for upgrades early next year.

When/If we upgrade, will we be forced into the new Share Everything Plan, or will we be able to stay with unlimited for one more contract/upgrade term?

I'm in the same situation. From what I understand, next year when your subsidy comes up you'll have 3 options.

1. Take the subsidy, switch to a 2GB for $30 plan.
2. Take the subsidy, switch to the new plans.
3. No subsidy, keep things exactly like they are.

This makes me think of a new question. I'm currently on a Droid 3. If I pay full price for a 4G phone, will it knock me off unlimited or do I need to find something 4G to activate quick?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

If you pay full price for your phone, you keep unlimited. If you take a discounted upgrade, it looks like you must either take a $30/2GB data package (according to the Verizon website) or get on a Share Everything plan.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Thanks guys!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

literally a hog posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/05/verizons-galaxy-siii-orders-will-ship-by-july-6/

According to Droid-life Verizon wont even be shipping preorders of the SIII till july 9th so it doesnt look good.

Fortunately, it looks like droid-life did the homework for us and confirmed that pre-ordering does the upgrade trigger, not shipping/activating (whew):

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/12/reminder-you-do-not-have-to-switch-to-verizons-new-share-everything-data-plans/?cmp=SOC-000680

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Verizon's estimator thing told me with 2 smart phones and 3 dumb phones with 8gb data would be $270 a month. Quite a bit more than what I pay now for unlimited.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and keep paying $80/mo for my unlimited plan with base minutes. I'm tempted to start paying the $30/mo unlimited 4G tethering though, instead of just activating it when I need it, just in case that gets eliminated.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

AlexDeGruven posted:

Fortunately, it looks like droid-life did the homework for us and confirmed that pre-ordering does the upgrade trigger, not shipping/activating (whew):

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/12/reminder-you-do-not-have-to-switch-to-verizons-new-share-everything-data-plans/?cmp=SOC-000680

Just went through the preorder process, was able to transfer an upgrade from another line and confirm that my plan still had the unlimited option without loving anything up.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Verizon's web interface works this well.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My upgrade date is 6/29/2012.

Son of a BITCH.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Oh verizon and their data calculator:

"the average user uses 1-2GB per smartphone" Where do you make this poo poo up? statistics studying rural areas with 2g?

I'm at almost 5GB for two phones and we have 10 days left, and I spend 1/3 of the day (and wife half the day) without signal.

and here I was thinking it was just a moneygrab, I love how they don't even show you where they came up with those numbers.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes
Well, I've been sitting on an upgrade for a few months waiting for the RAZR HD. I was really hoping I would get lucky before the plan change, but I knew it was a long shot. I just pulled the trigger on a RAZR MAXX for myself and one for my wife, in order to keep unlimited data. At least it was cheaper than I thought. Just under $300 after taxes. We are both upgrading from the original Incredible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Oh verizon and their data calculator:

"the average user uses 1-2GB per smartphone" Where do you make this poo poo up? statistics studying rural areas with 2g?

I'm at almost 5GB for two phones and we have 10 days left, and I spend 1/3 of the day (and wife half the day) without signal.

and here I was thinking it was just a moneygrab, I love how they don't even show you where they came up with those numbers.

You probably arn't the average user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Fruit Chewy posted:

Just went through the preorder process, was able to transfer an upgrade from another line and confirm that my plan still had the unlimited option without loving anything up.

Frankly, I'm shocked that Verizon's web interface works this well.

Did you do statement billing or buy outright?

Our statement has already closed for the month, so I think if I do statement billing, we won't have to pay for our SGS3's until the end of July.

• Locked thread