Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Human Tornada posted:

Somebody told me that getting caught with an open beer in one's car (in OH) is only an open container ticket and not an automatic DUI (assuming the driver isn't intoxicated). I find this hard to believe, is it true?

Why would this be hard to believe? This has been the case in the two states I'm admitted in.
A DUI is being too intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle not drinking while driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Human Tornada posted:

Somebody told me that getting caught with an open beer in one's car (in OH) is only an open container ticket and not an automatic DUI (assuming the driver isn't intoxicated). I find this hard to believe, is it true?

Absolutely. Think of it as drinking and driving (bad because it could potentially lead to drunk driving) and drunk driving. (which is punished more harshly because it is actually dangerous)

TOC [e: Transporting an Open Container] is drinking and driving.(But because it's too hard to prove that the driver was actually drinking, the state just says, "OK, no open containers of alcohol in a car.")
DUI is Driving Under the Influence (of alcohol). If the alcohol hasn't influenced you're driving, there's no DUI. (The states have taken shortcuts to proof here, too; since it can be harder to prove your driving was influenced by alcohol, they can just show that there was a certain amount of alcohol in your blood (or by another inference, breath) that is supposed to indicate an alcohol level where the average person's driving would be influenced.)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

nm posted:

Why would this be hard to believe? This has been the case in the two states I'm admitted in.
A DUI is being too intoxicated while operating a motor vehicle not drinking while driving.

Hard to believe because I'm only 28 and "drinking and driving" and "drunk driving" were used interchangeably growing up and it just seemed like one of those zero tolerance things.

But I guess I know now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What's the difference between a DUI and a DWI?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

One letter.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FrozenVent posted:

The state. There is no legal difference.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

FrozenVent posted:

The 'I', Influence or Intoxication. Intoxication is, as defined, alcohol related. 'Influence' encompasses all mind/mood altering substances.

I'm pretty sure most/all state laws are defined in the DUI way even if they are titled in the DWI way.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

The 'I', Influence or Intoxication. Intoxication is, as defined, alcohol related. 'Influence' encompasses all mind/mood altering substances.

I'm pretty sure most/all state laws are defined in the DUI way even if they are titled in the DWI way.

Not in my State. It's OVWI, Operating a Vehicle while Intoxicated, and intoxication is defined as an impairment of thought and action caused by use of alcohol or a controlled substance.

Same thing with PI. The intoxication can be caused by alcohol or a controlled substance.

Also, Black's 9th Ed. defines intoxication as "[a] diminished ability to act with full mental and physical capabilities because of alcohol or drug consumption".

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Intoxicated is generally associated with alcohol, is what I was getting at.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intoxicated

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 10, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
From a legal definition though, jurisdictionally dependent obviously, it tends to mean any chemical substance.

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I think in some jurisdictions the I in DWI is for "impaired". I have no evidence to support that however.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Intoxicated is generally associated with alcohol, is what I was getting at.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intoxicated

Yeah, I mean, you're probably right in a non-legal environment. But the crimes are identical in almost all jurisdictions.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Schitzo posted:

I think in some jurisdictions the I in DWI is for "impaired". I have no evidence to support that however.

Not my particular area of law, but my understanding is that legislatures moved away from this due to difficulty in defining "impaired". For instance, what if you can have 10 beers and pass an FST? You can argue you aren't impaired. However if the standard was intoxicated, it becomes a simple question of "Is there X amount of intoxicating substance in your body?"

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Diplomaticus posted:

Not my particular area of law, but my understanding is that legislatures moved away from this due to difficulty in defining "impaired". For instance, what if you can have 10 beers and pass an FST? You can argue you aren't impaired. However if the standard was intoxicated, it becomes a simple question of "Is there X amount of intoxicating substance in your body?"
If you pass the FST, that's some drat good evidence of you not being impaired, and you probably won't get arrested unless you have an open container or brag about doing 21 shots aloud.

However, passing a FST is tough for perfectly sober people.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I passing like not wobbling at all or what? Cause I have no nystagmus and can do the heel to toe, 10+ steps thing fine but I might wobble a bit with arms down looking straight ahead.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Lord Gaga posted:

I passing like not wobbling at all or what? Cause I have no nystagmus and can do the heel to toe, 10+ steps thing fine but I might wobble a bit with arms down looking straight ahead.
Depends, it could be viewed as a fail. That's where other factors come in; if you then get arrested, submit to a breath/blood test, and blow .00, you'd probably get the whole thing tossed. But a .19, and you might have trouble convincing a judge that a wobble isn't a fail.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
This happened in suburban Cook County IL, and I am wondering if it is legal.

This afternoon, one of the drivers who works for the small trucking company I work for did something stupid. He parked the truck and trailer in a parking lot of a flea market, which was a no truck parking zone. He ran across the street to pick up lunch, and in the 10 minutes he was gone someone from a local towing company took a master key for his particular truck and physically opened the truck and drove in to their impound lot. They then charged us 1400 to get it back.

I know that the driver was illegally parked, that is in no doubt, but is it legal for a towing company to break in and "steal" a truck like that?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Abugadu posted:

Depends, it could be viewed as a fail. That's where other factors come in; if you then get arrested, submit to a breath/blood test, and blow .00, you'd probably get the whole thing tossed. But a .19, and you might have trouble convincing a judge that a wobble isn't a fail.

Not to mention that in some states driving with an unlawful blood alcohol level is a separate crime even if you aren't impaired.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

And this is why in states that allow it you should refuse the FSTs

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

nm posted:

And this is why in states that allow it you should refuse the FSTs

One of these days I should stop being lazy and hop on Westlaw and figure out where Utah sits on that spectrum.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Arcturas posted:

One of these days I should stop being lazy and hop on Google and figure out where Utah sits on that spectrum.

Fixed that for you. I don't know why they keep teaching westlaw/lexis in law school. Need to learn how to search westlaw? Google it!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

prussian advisor posted:

Not to mention that in some states driving with an unlawful blood alcohol level is a separate crime even if you aren't impaired.

True, but you usually don't get to the breath/blood test without having hosed up in some other way first.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Bugsy posted:

This afternoon, one of the drivers who works for the small trucking company I work for did something stupid. He parked the truck and trailer in a parking lot of a flea market, which was a no truck parking zone. He ran across the street to pick up lunch, and in the 10 minutes he was gone someone from a local towing company took a master key for his particular truck and physically opened the truck and drove in to their impound lot. They then charged us 1400 to get it back.

I know that the driver was illegally parked, that is in no doubt, but is it legal for a towing company to break in and "steal" a truck like that?

Holy poo poo that's a massive fee. Is THAT legal? There must be some limit to what a tow company can charge.

Out of curiosity I have a geographically related question. I passed through Chicago yesterday and the street I parked on has signs saying, in addition to various other parking restrictions, "Tow Zone - No Parking 5pm-10pm During Cubs Night Games". Is that really legal? I have no clue even what loving sport the Cubs play, much less what their schedule is (yes, I'm a terrible nerd, sorry). How can parking be restricted based on something that a driver won't necessarily have any knowledge of?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Bugsy posted:

You could try this:
https://www.icc.illinois.gov/downloads/public/mc/complaint.pdf
or call the number on the form.
Max rates are supposed to be $700 for a 40k pound vehicle tow plus $140 per day storage. How long did they wait to get it back?

Stealing requires an "unlawful" taking. If it's done in accordance with the law, it's lawful.
Pertinent:
Laws
Administrative regulations

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Abugadu posted:

True, but you usually don't get to the breath/blood test without having hosed up in some other way first.

Do FSTs in Guam somehow involve coconut crabs? Because that would be spectacular

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

So a buddy (in NYC) was walking home (to a traditionally low income neighborhood which has seen been seeing aggressive gentrification) when a random cop stopped him and demanded to see ID (presumably because he's a scrawny white guy and looked "out of place" but again he doesn't really in 2012). He just moved last month, so the ID still had an old address on it, and the cop told him to start carrying around a piece of mail addressed to him at his current address should this sort of thing come up again.

What's going on here? Is that remotely legal, or was the cop bulshitting him for [reason]? And is there a good way to handle that sort of police encounter? It sounds like they thought it's 1982 and he was trying to score.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I received a letter from Liberty Mutual stating that the lawyer for the driver of the other car was requesting a $15,500 settlement because "[I] received the citation for causing the crash." My policy has $25k/person and $50k/accident coverage, so presumably I'd be fine there. I plead no contest a couple weeks ago in court which, to my understanding, is not an admission of guilt from a civil suit standpoint.

In a letter from their lawyer, they stated that "He was first transported by ambulance to Grady Memorial for blunt chest trauma and was treated at the ER and released. He then sought follow-up medical care when he experienced additional injury symptoms in his back... You will note on the doctor's final visit note that [claimant] had residual symptoms of injury in his lower back. His medical bills that I have total $4,952, plus the amount of the EMS bill, which I have no yet received."

Is this a normal outcome? The ambulance was definitely unnecessary as I was unharmed and the passenger in the other car was unharmed. In fact, the driver got out of the car and walked around before requesting an ambulance, getting back into his driver's seat, buckling up, then forcing the EMT's to take him out on a body board with neck brace. The "residual symptoms" are difficult to challenge, however.

Perhaps importantly, the police office said he would note in his report that the other driver was being theatrical, but I haven't seen a copy of it yet. Would my insurance have that or do I need to get one and fax it over?

Obviously, I will call Liberty Mutual tomorrow morning, but I wanted to make sure I had as much helpful info as possible beforehand.
The poo poo never ends: I received a letter from Hertz (the other car was a rental) a few days ago saying that they were processing a claim against me since they had to salvage the car. I was under the impression that had been handled already, but apparently they hadn't even come up with a claim total, nor did they have my insurance information :confused:. My question is whether I could end up having to pay out of pocket. My policy only has property damage coverage of $25,000 per incident, and the car in question was a Nissan Rogue. Blue Book value on a 2011 model seems to top out around $20k, so presumably I would be okay, but the 2012 MSRP can exceed $25k depending on configuration. But shouldn't the salvage value of the car (a couple thousand?) get deducted from their claim amount, putting me in the clear? :ohdear:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The poo poo never ends: I received a letter from Hertz (the other car was a rental) a few days ago saying that they were processing a claim against me since they had to salvage the car. I was under the impression that had been handled already, but apparently they hadn't even come up with a claim total, nor did they have my insurance information :confused:. My question is whether I could end up having to pay out of pocket. My policy only has property damage coverage of $25,000 per incident, and the car in question was a Nissan Rogue. Blue Book value on a 2011 model seems to top out around $20k, so presumably I would be okay, but the 2012 MSRP can exceed $25k depending on configuration. But shouldn't the salvage value of the car (a couple thousand?) get deducted from their claim amount, putting me in the clear? :ohdear:
What did your insurance agent say? They're really not your enemy in this case; their commission comes from selling you the policy, not reducing your benefit. Now, the adjuster is not necessarily your best friend at the moment.

I know this isn't the best advice since you're already in the situation, but it really reinforces the necessity of having an insurance policy with a person you trust on the other end. There's something to be said for being able to call someone and get an honest (whether that's good or bad) answer to your questions. I called last week with a question about rental car coverage and got an answer in about 5 minutes; my old company would have put me on hold for an hour and required nine supervisors to get an answer.

IANAL, IANA insurance guy, etc.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

betaraywil posted:

So a buddy (in NYC) was walking home (to a traditionally low income neighborhood which has seen been seeing aggressive gentrification) when a random cop stopped him and demanded to see ID (presumably because he's a scrawny white guy and looked "out of place" but again he doesn't really in 2012). He just moved last month, so the ID still had an old address on it, and the cop told him to start carrying around a piece of mail addressed to him at his current address should this sort of thing come up again.

What's going on here? Is that remotely legal, or was the cop bulshitting him for [reason]? And is there a good way to handle that sort of police encounter? It sounds like they thought it's 1982 and he was trying to score.

IANAL. Here in PA they have a law about having 90-days to change your address on state ID's and was a $25 fine. There could be a similar law on the books in NY. Your buddy can do this through the DMV's site, even.

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that insurance covers for the value of the vehicle insured, not a brand new replacement. If my Datsun got wrecked, does it sound reasonable for my insurance to give me the value of a new Nissan? Same concept.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have a labor law question. I live and work in New York, Company A was based in NH, and Company B is based in Texas.

I was hired by Company A, to work as a consultant for Company Z. I've been in this position for over 2 years now, but I'd like to change to a new company, while remaining a consultant for Company Z.

However, my contract with Company A has a non-competition clause that says I can't do work for Company Z unless I'm represented by Company A. Let me post the relevant parts of the contract. I assume the agreement is to prevent Company Z from hiring me outright without paying a finders fee to Company A.

quote:

This Agreement entered into May, 2010, between Guy Axlerod (‘Employee’) and Company A, inc. (‘Company’).
Wheras, Company desires to hire Employee as an at-will, temporary Employee for work to be performed at Company Z (‘Client’)
..Snip..
Employee shall be assigned to Client during the term of this Agreement, which is approximated to be 8 months. Thereafter, Employee may be assigned to Client for successive one-month periods, unless either party gives notice of its intention to terminate this agreement, as provided in Section 6 below.
..Snip..
Non-Solicitation/Non-Competition. Employee shall not accept employment as an independent contractor, hourly employee or full-time (permanent employee, or solicit, directly or indirectly, any contract activity or full time employee with Client (or Client’s client for a period of one (1) year following the termination of ths Agreement, without receiving the Company’s prior written consent. In the event of an actual or threatened breach of this paragraph, Company shall be entitled to an injunction restraining the Employee from accepting such employment. Nothing herein stated shall be construed as prohibiting Company from pursuing any other emedies available to the Company for such breach or threatened breach, including the recovery of damages from Employee. The Employee is required to give the Company notice of any solicitation or offer for employment by the Client within 48 hous of the offer or solicitation. Employee further agrees to advise any person or business entity of the existence of this provision at the time of solicitation or offer. The Employee agrees that if sh/he would like to refer, directly or indirectly, candidates for employment to the Client, Client’s customers, or other clients of the Company, the candidate must be referred to and represented by the Company. Any direct or indirect referral of a candidate to a Client or Client customer without the Company’s involvement shall constitute a breach of this Agreement.

I don't know if this might change anything, since the agreement was signed:
  • Company A was bought out by Company B
  • Company Z spun off the department I do work for into a new Company Y. Company Y is wholly owned by Company Z.

Is this clause enforceable?

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

My question is whether I could end up having to pay out of pocket. My policy only has property damage coverage of $25,000 per incident, and the car in question was a Nissan Rogue. Blue Book value on a 2011 model seems to top out around $20k, so presumably I would be okay, but the 2012 MSRP can exceed $25k depending on configuration. But shouldn't the salvage value of the car (a couple thousand?) get deducted from their claim amount, putting me in the clear? :ohdear:

Their payout will be what the vehicle was worth at the time, not the replacement value. Meaning, it'll be the bluebook for that actual vehicle, not the MSRP on a new one or even the used sales price. They do have to subtract the salvage value, but it's usually only a couple hundred bucks (once you factor in towing, etc, you don't usually get much for salvage).

I can't tell you at all how it will work out, but that's the angle on their valuation.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

IratelyBlank posted:

I live in Florida and I was hit by an uninsured driver last Friday. At the time, I didn't know he was uninsured because he gave me his license and insurance card and I took pictures of both, but when I said I was calling the police to get a report he said he needed to leave and just took off. I flagged down a cop that happened to be driving by after he left and she said that I wouldn't need a police report and that I should just call the insurance companies and have them deal with it. I called his insurance company and it turns out he cancelled his policy last year and hasn't been returning calls from anyone. I also looked him up on the clerk of courts and on the DMV and his license is suspended and he has over 30 cases with the court, about 1/3 of them being domestic violence and the rest being DUI/driving on a suspended license and other traffic violations.

I called a lawyer today and he said that my best bet is just suing this guy in small claims court for the cost of the repairs since I won't need to pay for attorney's fees if I go this route. Is this accurate? Should I call the sheriff's office back up and let them know what happened again? I feel like not getting a police report the first time is really going to hinder me when I try to sue this guy since there is no official document saying what happened and all I have is a broken car and pictures of his documents on my phone. I also called my insurance company and they said they won't cover the costs because I don't have collision coverage (which I was unaware of and fixed), so they can't help me out. The car is drivable and the damage is mostly just to my trunk but I don't really want to just let this go.

I posted this a week or two ago. I just got hit again and it was pretty much the exact same situation at the same intersection. I was sitting at a red light and someone hit me from behind, except this time I was hit hard enough to drive me forward into the car in front of me. The guy who hit me this time has insurance and I made sure to insist we both stay until the highway patrol arrived, but the guy who I was pushed into immediately took off.

My question is, it is hard to differentiate what is new damage vs old damage since I was hit in essentially the exact same place and the guy who hit me has the same insurance as the other guy had, so I have already called them and they know that one of their (previous) members was in an accident with me. Are they going to try to deny this outright and say that all the damage was already there? What should I expect when I phone them up?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

woozle wuzzle posted:

Their payout will be what the vehicle was worth at the time, not the replacement value. Meaning, it'll be the bluebook for that actual vehicle, not the MSRP on a new one or even the used sales price. They do have to subtract the salvage value, but it's usually only a couple hundred bucks (once you factor in towing, etc, you don't usually get much for salvage).

I can't tell you at all how it will work out, but that's the angle on their valuation.

Yes, and you should be speaking to your insurance.

Also, get some real insurance. Insurance that doesn't even cover the majority of new cars (average price is like $28k) is goddamn useless.

IratelyBlank posted:

I posted this a week or two ago. I just got hit again and it was pretty much the exact same situation at the same intersection. I was sitting at a red light and someone hit me from behind, except this time I was hit hard enough to drive me forward into the car in front of me. The guy who hit me this time has insurance and I made sure to insist we both stay until the highway patrol arrived, but the guy who I was pushed into immediately took off.

My question is, it is hard to differentiate what is new damage vs old damage since I was hit in essentially the exact same place and the guy who hit me has the same insurance as the other guy had, so I have already called them and they know that one of their (previous) members was in an accident with me. Are they going to try to deny this outright and say that all the damage was already there? What should I expect when I phone them up?
At this point I'd consider suing the city for a dangerous intersection. I'm only kind of kidding.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 13, 2012

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

Do FSTs in Guam somehow involve coconut crabs? Because that would be spectacular

Gotta juggle 'em.

Usually the only problems here are that people are always wearing flip-flops/sandals/zories, and claim the trouble on the heel-toe or any balancing test was because of that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Gotta juggle 'em.

Usually the only problems here are that people are always wearing flip-flops/sandals/zories, and claim the trouble on the heel-toe or any balancing test was because of that.

Your cops couldn't ask them to take them off?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Your cops couldn't ask them to take them off?

I don't think you want these things running around without the leash.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

I don't think you want these things running around without the leash.

I'm sure flip flops are impenetrable for them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

I'm sure flip flops are impenetrable for them.

Cuts through metal, so you may as well be wearing flip flops for all the good it will do you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Abugadu posted:

Cuts through metal, so you may as well be wearing flip flops for all the good it will do you.
Even my steel toed flip flops will be foiled.
Guam is still less scary than Australia. I spent time in a hostel that had a spider the size of my head (golden orb) that lived above the fridge. This was considered normal as it is only moderately poisonous.
That hostel was awesome by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Even my steel toed flip flops will be foiled.
Guam is still less scary than Australia. I spent time in a hostel that had a spider the size of my head (golden orb) that lived above the fridge. This was considered normal as it is only moderately poisonous.
That hostel was awesome by the way.

We have brown huntsman's, but they're not too common. Mostly we get smaller orb spiders, about the size of a half-dollar.