Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Anyone interested in a gray Abath?

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5919-FS-2012-Fiat-Abarth&p=561751#post561751

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Aw, come on. At least beat on it a bit before you sell it. :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That spoiler was obviously a bit of a waste of money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wait, didn't you cancel like 3 orders for the car, change the oil and drop it already? No offense, but your decision making seems to be completely seat of your pants style. Maybe you should slow it down a bit because you're going to take a huge financial hit here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Wait, didn't you cancel like 3 orders for the car, change the oil and drop it already? No offense, but your decision making seems to be completely seat of your pants style. Maybe you should slow it down a bit because you're going to take a huge financial hit here.

Maybe he's jealous of all the attention ultimateforce gets.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That spoiler was obviously a bit of a waste of money.

It's the only thing keeping it upright.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Bovril Delight posted:

Yes, what he said.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just rolled by my local Fiat store when I was looking to get my current vehicle serviced. They had just sold their demo Abarth and didn't have any in, though the guy said I could sit in one if I came back next week since they were getting a customer car in.

I really wanted to see how much better the interior upgrades are :(

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
Has anyone had an "oh poo poo" moment as a result of the stability control yet? As you may recall from my earlier rants, it is not really off when you switch it to off.

I took a hard 90 degree left turn onto a highway onramp a few days ago with sport on and ESC off and the car freaked out. While it's true that I drive with great gusto (much harder cornering than any sane human should attempt), I do not want to die in a fiery wreck because the ESC system thinks it needs to apply brakes randomly to correct a problem that doesn't exist.

I called fiat to complain and I'm thinking about pulling the yaw sensor in hopes that it will properly disable the system. I wish they would hurry up and release the factory service manual.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does it let you left-foot-brake, or does it neuter the throttle when you try? Because that's an equally massive failing, and one that I've found is on newer Puntos.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
not an oh poo poo moment, but equally as frustrating. I got stuck in sand in the middle of a three point turn around on a dirt road. even with the esc turned off it still would not stop cutting power and poo poo. had to pull it out with a truck, even though I had wood and such under the tires and the front wheels were only about a foot off the road. off really should mean off, not less.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

InitialDave posted:

Does it let you left-foot-brake, or does it neuter the throttle when you try? Because that's an equally massive failing, and one that I've found is on newer Puntos.

Iirc from my test drive, the dbw throttle sucked, and lfb definitely didn't work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
As a continuation of my Mazda2 pimping in this thread: I just found out how to disable the brake override in the 2. Gonna LFB all over the place. :dance:

edit:

1. Turn key to On position, but don't turn over the engine
2. Wait 5 seconds for all of the lights to illuminate, then half+ of them will go away
3. Fully depress the gas and brake pedal for 15 seconds
4. Release the gas and brake, clutch in and start the car

This needs to be done within 30 seconds of turning the car from completely off to the On position.

Phone fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 18, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phone posted:

As a continuation of my Mazda2 pimping in this thread: I just found out how to disable the brake override in the 2. Gonna LFB all over the place. :dance:

Please share the lurid details, I may be in the market for a 1.5 Mazda 2.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I bought a nifty roof rack for my 500.

*edit*

to make a long story short, the quality was poo poo and the company went out of business right away. I had to threaten them many times to get my money back.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 11, 2013

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

I really like the look of it, but I dunno, $500 seems a little much. Isn't that more than the factory rack? It sure does look better though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hate to tell you, but there's no way around the wind noise without a fairing on a rack like that. It does look cool though.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

There's no reason that wouldn't fit on an Abarth, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

WT Wally posted:

There's no reason that wouldn't fit on an Abarth, right?

It will fit.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I finally caved and just got back from putting a deposit on this.

I fell in love with the 500 the first time I drove one at Goodwood a couple of years ago, so I knew it would only be a matter of time. Didn't go for the Esseesse kit for now but likely will do when I have the spare cash. But for now, I am super excited and I'm going to pick her up on Tuesday. :D

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

leica posted:

I hate to tell you, but there's no way around the wind noise without a fairing on a rack like that. It does look cool though.

Yeap, looks just like the old racks I had for my bug, those will howl.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I finally caved and just got back from putting a deposit on this.

I fell in love with the 500 the first time I drove one at Goodwood a couple of years ago, so I knew it would only be a matter of time. Didn't go for the Esseesse kit for now but likely will do when I have the spare cash. But for now, I am super excited and I'm going to pick her up on Tuesday. :D

I'm taking one for a test drive on Saturday, hopefully I'll be able to overcome the urge to order one on the spot (still have to give the Panda a go).

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
Yesterday I made a deal to trade my 2012 base pop in on a new Abarth. It should be here in a few weeks. Terrible financial decision but an awesome happiness decision. Overall I think I did well since I'm only losing about 2k on the deal for flipping my 1yr old car.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holdbrooks posted:

Yesterday I made a deal to trade my 2012 base pop in on a new Abarth. It should be here in a few weeks. Terrible financial decision but an awesome happiness decision. Overall I think I did well since I'm only losing about 2k on the deal for flipping my 1yr old car.

poo poo, not too bad of a loss for what I can only assume is much more fun. My GF and VW fanboy friend can't fathom why I want an Abarth so badly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Couldn't find an Abarth to test drive, but still took a regular 500 for a drive. It really reminded me of my '85 VW cabriolet which isn't a bad thing. I'd love to drive an Abarth but they're all sold before they hit the lot and I can't justify picking one over an FR-S without driving it first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finding an Abarth to test drive is loving impossible in my area, which I think is a good sign.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Finding an Abarth to test drive is loving impossible in my area, which I think is a good sign.

Aren't all the US bound ones for the year already sold?

I tried to find one for a few weeks, but no dice. I'm hoping they calm down by next year, having the BRZ around might help with that a bit.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
drat I feel lucky then I when over to look Ary them on a whim wile waiting for an oil change. And they had 4 on the lot there and 8 total in Phoenix.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

Aren't all the US bound ones for the year already sold?

I tried to find one for a few weeks, but no dice. I'm hoping they calm down by next year, having the BRZ around might help with that a bit.

MY12 was dealer-allocated, but not necessarily sold to customers. MY13s should be available by end of August.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone know, will a pair of 190cm skis fit in a 500?

It'd obviously be diagonally, and probably a tight fit, but not being able to fit my skis would be a bit of a deal breaker. I guess the next question would then be how terrible they are in snow, with proper snow tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm already thinking through this ski issue and the best way to go is gonna be a rack.

The thing will be fine in snow with snow tires, just go -1 and get some stock 500 wheels to mount them on. It has DTSC and all that poo poo.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

drzrma posted:

Does anyone know, will a pair of 190cm skis fit in a 500?

It'd obviously be diagonally, and probably a tight fit, but not being able to fit my skis would be a bit of a deal breaker. I guess the next question would then be how terrible they are in snow, with proper snow tires.

I was able to get an 8ft (~244cm) stick of aluminum stock in the car from the passenger footwell to the hatch with an inch to spare. So if no passengers then yes.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Holdbrooks posted:

I was able to get an 8ft (~244cm) stick of aluminum stock in the car from the passenger footwell to the hatch with an inch to spare. So if no passengers then yes.

I knew I remembered somebody who'd managed to fit something ridiculous in one, thanks for the reminder and confirmation. Passengers just need to be flexible, that's all, then everything works fine. I refuse to roof rack skis, and I really hate roof boxes. It's just a requirement that I be able to cram skis in whatever I'm currently driving, whether it was designed for it or not.

Hoping to test drive an Abarth in the near future, comparing against the TDI Golf and GTI. Abarth sounds like a ton of fun, just need to see how it does on the freeway and get a better idea how useful the interior space is.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
It's neat to see a lot of other goons are either getting an Abarth soon, or highly debating it!

I'm really fighting the urge to get the TMC tuning box for mine, as I'm quite content with the stock power/delivery but at the same time I know I'd love the extra POWAAHHH. For those goons in Europe who have the 135hp A500, you need to get the tune, 160hp is perfect for this car.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

GramCracker posted:

It's neat to see a lot of other goons are either getting an Abarth soon, or highly debating it!

I'm really fighting the urge to get the TMC tuning box for mine, as I'm quite content with the stock power/delivery but at the same time I know I'd love the extra POWAAHHH. For those goons in Europe who have the 135hp A500, you need to get the tune, 160hp is perfect for this car.

I know it will gnaw at me to not get the tune but I can't spare the £2000 or so extra plus on Britain's roads the stiffer suspension and 17" wheels it will rattle me to death during my commute. :(

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

GramCracker posted:

Yeah, I am actually trying to work in a dealer install for the tuning box with the car, I was wanting more when I was driving it, but I was driving a big turbo STi with 3x the power right before so that might be why.

In other new I figured out how to get in the tracking system for the Abarths orders and mine will be here next week. But it will be going to a shop straight from the dealer for some mods, and then more as soon as I get it back home. I think I have a problem...

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

GramCracker posted:

I wonder if the abarth is suffering from exaggerated speed... In fast cars with not so loud exhaust its not as visceral so i dont know how fast im going, slow cars with loud exhaust at all revs seem to be much more exciting at first but you quickly learn that you arent going that fast. Its basically a facade.

1:15 power to weight ratio really isnt that amazing. 135i is 1:11. To get 1:11 with the abarth would require about 217 horse power which is a lot to ask from a 1.4l engine.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

coolskillrex remix posted:

I wonder if the abarth is suffering from exaggerated speed... In fast cars with not so loud exhaust its not as visceral so i dont know how fast im going, slow cars with loud exhaust at all revs seem to be much more exciting at first but you quickly learn that you arent going that fast. Its basically a facade.

1:15 power to weight ratio really isnt that amazing. 135i is 1:11. To get 1:11 with the abarth would require about 217 horse power which is a lot to ask from a 1.4l engine.

I would agree with you on that one, however I do think that the Abarth is "quick" for what the car is and I (personally) don't think the exhaust is a facade. It definitely makes it more fun, interesting, and it gives the car a shitload of character/spirit.

Funny thing is the 160hp rating is actually to the wheels and not the crank :getin:

Gilganixon posted:

I know it will gnaw at me to not get the tune but I can't spare the 2000 or so extra plus on Britain's roads the stiffer suspension and 17" wheels it will rattle me to death during my commute. :(

I agree 100% as that is a ridiculous cost for a performance kit. Just get the TMC tune, it's something like £300 and install will take you 15 minutes.

Holdbrooks posted:

Yeah, I am actually trying to work in a dealer install for the tuning box with the car, I was wanting more when I was driving it, but I was driving a big turbo STi with 3x the power right before so that might be why.

In other new I figured out how to get in the tracking system for the Abarths orders and mine will be here next week. But it will be going to a shop straight from the dealer for some mods, and then more as soon as I get it back home. I think I have a problem...

Haha sounds like you have quite the mod addiction. I'm the exact same way (my B5 S4 was modded to high hell) only I'm somehow restraining myself with this car. I have one mod: H&R Springs, but those aren't low enough for me so I'm debating ordering some Eibach Sportlines and swapping them out.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

GramCracker posted:

Haha sounds like you have quite the mod addiction. I'm the exact same way (my B5 S4 was modded to high hell) only I'm somehow restraining myself with this car. I have one mod: H&R Springs, but those aren't low enough for me so I'm debating ordering some Eibach Sportlines and swapping them out.

That what I have on my current fiat, and they will be going on the Abarth as soon as it gets back home.

right after the install, they have settled a bit.

lol stock, I bought the wheels and spring before I bought the car, I only drove it home like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Stock ride height on the 500's (and even the Abarth) is a freakin' joke. I could literally stick my head between the wheel and fender.

• Locked thread