Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I heard this was a squirrel thread too..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

These guys were having quite a scrap. It was difficult shooting with all the fighter jet acrobatics going on. This is the best of the bunch:

IMG_6042.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

I few minutes prior I came this --->.<--- close to getting the elusive "eagle squirting poo poo" photo. Better luck next time, I guess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ That's a pretty awesome photo.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > The Dorkroom > Birds: I came this close to getting the elusive "eagle squirting poo poo" photo.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rot posted:

These guys were having quite a scrap.

Some birds are just assholes. I had finally cornered a Great Blue Heron to get a good shoot started when out of no where this gently caress head red winged blackbird screwed everything up. :mad:

All I could do was jam down the shutter and not fall over in the muck (scared the poo poo out of me).

Chased it all the way down the side of the lake.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Some birds are just assholes. I had finally cornered a Great Blue Heron to get a good shoot started when out of no where this gently caress head red winged blackbird screwed everything up. :mad:

I like this one.

"ok gently caress you then, I'm leaving."

Unfortunately I wasn't carrying my camera at the time, but here's a Bird Battle story.

Anyone in Vancouver knows this tree: the giant one in Vanier Park, right in front of the Coast Guard office. There's this gigantic eagle's nest in there.

One day my brother and I were walking by and *plop* this hunk of meat and grey feathers drops down right in front of us. The screams of young eagles followed as mom eagle and a couple sea gulls come blasting out of the tree. Mom tore one of the remaining gulls in half and dropped the pieces into the ocean while the final gull got the gently caress out of dodge.

Usually you see the smaller birds chasing off the eagles but it's pretty :black101: to see them hold their ground.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rot posted:

Usually you see the smaller birds chasing off the eagles but it's pretty :black101: to see them hold their ground.

You'll like this then.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Awesome.

In the spring/summer/fall I spend two weeks of every month working in northern BC and frankly eagles are as common as gulls and ravens up there. 90% of the time they're doing this:

IMG_6286.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Just sitting there, looking kinda scruffy, and not doing anything particularly photogenic.

Eaglechat:
Last year one of our pilots called me to report that he hit a salmon with his Longranger.

WHAT?!?!

Apparently he surprised an eagle trying to get away with the fish and dropped it into the flight path. What a mess that was.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Chased it all the way down the side of the lake.

Hahaha, yeah I've been in the same situation. I was creeping up on a heron and some tiny bird I couldn't recognize divebombed right onto the back of the heron. The heron let out such a blood curdling "scream" it probably scared away any other wildlife in the area for rest of the day, including itself.

Those little birds remind me of chihuahuas, thinking they're much bigger than they really are.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I don't know if it's mostly males or not, but if it is, those little birds are being superbadass in an effort to impress the ladies.

Littlebirdy: "I fukin' took on a heron!"
Littlebirdy 2: "An EAGLE! gently caress yeah!"

Ladybirdy: *swoon*

It's my running hypothesis for why you can usually get pretty close to a red-wing blackbird when he's screaming out his territory boundaries. You're proof of his bravery. Testosterone is common across vertebrates, at least.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Those little birds remind me of chihuahuas, thinking they're much bigger than they really are.

He seemed quite pleased with himself. Here he is returning from his anti-heron strafing run.

I'm really itching to pick up a cheap x-300mm lens. This 55-200 just isn't cutting it in the wild. It's fine for parks but that's about it.

mobot
Apr 19, 2003

A baby Wood Duck contemplates its jump to freedom.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mobot posted:

A baby Wood Duck contemplates its jump to freedom.

This is really god drat good. Props.

bread radar by jankyangles, on Flickr

fuzz ball by jankyangles, on Flickr

morning shakedown by jankyangles, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

There were four of them at the lake, and these are the first I've seen that are semi-close to Edmonton.

These are loving awesome.

Just got back from a vacation in the Southwest and am now in Tampa for work. Safe to say, I'll have a few photos to post once I get time to post.

Glad to see people experienced two of my favorite birds who happen to be utter assholes when a camera comes out: Wilson's Warbler and American Kestrel.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Saw these two ducks in a pond in Germany, I suspect they're related to Mallards but that's all I know. Plus they wouldn't come near me and I only had my 17-55 :(

Schloss Charlottenburg by hookshot88, on Flickr

Plus this dude had really interesting colouring on his head:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Mandarin Duck is what they are. Not too closely related, Mallards are in a big genus, Mandarins are in a different, small, genus that just has the Mandarin in Europe/Asia and the Wood Duck in North America

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

neckbeard posted:

Mandarin Duck is what they are. Not too closely related, Mallards are in a big genus, Mandarins are in a different, small, genus that just has the Mandarin in Europe/Asia and the Wood Duck in North America

Oh cool, thanks for that! I can definitely see the resemblance to the wood duck now that you mention it, hadn't even thought of it before.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Installed Lightroom 4.1 and I am hugely impressed by its highlight recovery feature. Shots I had put aside (but thankfully not deleted) because of blown highlights LR3 could not help with have had new life breathed into them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
110 degrees in the park today. All the birds were panting up a storm.

industry avian 2 small by jankyangles, on Flickr

derp grackle small by jankyangles, on Flickr

This one terrifies me. I didn't know grackles had that horrific looking thing for the inside of their beaks. :stonk: What are those teeth looking things?

grackle alien small by jankyangles, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Some DUCKIES!!! and Mystery Bird (that I think is probably related to the goose family) from Helsinki.

Duckies by hookshot88, on Flickr

Helsinki Bird by hookshot88, on Flickr

mobot
Apr 19, 2003

HookShot posted:

Sweet! I love the little line of ducklings marching up the rocks. Shot in the dark: you didn't happen to capture any video of this scene by chance? I'm looking for these kinds of scenes for a PBS show right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mobot posted:

Sweet! I love the little line of ducklings marching up the rocks. Shot in the dark: you didn't happen to capture any video of this scene by chance? I'm looking for these kinds of scenes for a PBS show right now.

Sorry, I only have a 30D and it doesn't take video, otherwise I definitely would have :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

HookShot posted:

Some DUCKIES!!! and Mystery Bird (that I think is probably related to the goose family) from Helsinki.

Looks like a Barnacle Goose. Nice shots.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I'm still finding my way around the camera, photoshop, and photography in general, but I like photographing birds and I'm happy with how a few have come out so far.

This panning shot taken at dusk turned out ok, at least at lower resolutions.

Engage Paddle Factor 5 by Scissors B, on Flickr

Taken from a moving boat.

Black Oystercatchers - Tough Crowd by Scissors B, on Flickr

Another shot taken in shadow at dusk. I can see it's a flawed shot, but I still quite like the overall effect.

Northwestern Crow by Scissors B, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could photoshop, because this guy needs a cane and top hat.

dancing_robin 274 on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This nest was just outside the window on the boarding ramp for the ferry to Tallinn in Helsinki. I only brought my kit lens with me so thankfully they were so close I was still able to get good photos:

Birds by hookshot88, on Flickr

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You live near Helsinki? Going there Tuesday evening, not sure how much time I will have for any shooting but bringing the E-M5 along. Any area in particular worth visiting?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You live near Helsinki? Going there Tuesday evening, not sure how much time I will have for any shooting but bringing the E-M5 along. Any area in particular worth visiting?
I just visited there, don't live there sadly. Suomenlinna Island was pretty cool (there's some shots from it in my photostream) if you get the chance to go there. It's only 15 minutes by ferry, which leaves from Kauppatori. I can't really recommend anything else sorry, I was sick for most of our trip so we really only went there and Tallinn.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

A juvenile cormorant

I'm really happy with this shot of a painted bunting

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Hope you don't mind a deluge of Florida birds.

Possibly the most beautiful bird I've ever seen:

Swallow-Tailed Kite by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Wild Turkey Tom by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Black Vulture by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Great Egret by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Prothonotary Warbler by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Prothonotary Warbler 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Yet Another White Ibis by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Willet by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

White Ibis Attacks by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Purple Martin by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Snowy Egret by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

20120602-20120602-_MG_0437.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Adult Sandhill Crane by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Juvenile Sandhill Crane by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

crow by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Finally got to work on my photos from Kauai I took in late April.

Cock of the walk by faltion, on Flickr

Soulful by faltion, on Flickr

Nene by faltion, on Flickr

Free by faltion, on Flickr

Asura by faltion, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Faltion posted:

Free by faltion, on Flickr

Loving these 2. :)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I only had my 17-55 when I took these, but oh well.

Goose by hookshot88, on Flickr

Duck by hookshot88, on Flickr

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...
Here's a couple of shots I got on my last photo-shoot. Taken with a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS with a 1.4x Kenko Extender on my Canon 60D. I'm new to shooting birds, still working on the whole capturing moving things on camera aspect of it.

Here's a pelican flying over the San Francisco Bay.

And a lowly pidgin wandering Fisherman's Wharf. I was just testing out my extender but am really impressed with the bokeh and sharpness of the pic!

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I startled a Great Horned Owl during the day. He flew off and then walked around looking all pissed-off. Sorry guy. :(

DSC_3374 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Canyon Towhee

DSC_3654 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Maybe a Black-chinned Hummingbird? She flew right to her nest and made like a leaf once I walked up.

DSC_3487 by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Oh God baby hummingbird. :3:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Faltion posted:

Finally got to work on my photos from Kauai I took in late April.

This is great- we actually just bought a print that looks like this for a labmate who studies peafowl...

edit- I'm selling that same extender that Arob1000 used in the buy/sell thread if anyone wants one!

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 12, 2012

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Canada Geese goslings by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I'm like 95% sure this is a brown-headed cowbird, can someone confirm/deny?

Brown-headed Cowbird female by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

neckbeard posted:

I'm like 95% sure this is a brown-headed cowbird, can someone confirm/deny?

Brown-headed Cowbird female by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Confirm. They do that weird looking up thing all the time for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bird at Jokulsarlon by hookshot88, on Flickr

Bird at Jokulsarlon by hookshot88, on Flickr

Jokulsarlon by hookshot88, on Flickr

Jokulsarlon by hookshot88, on Flickr

Bird by hookshot88, on Flickr