Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Slappy Moose posted:

But he wouldn't loving say anything. Did I just get a lovely, quiet person or what? Is there anything else I can do to lame people on my team?

Griefing only works if the griefee loses their cool. The person in your story defeated your griefing attempts by not responding, so, um, QED?

I'm sure you could get some good reactions. You'll just have to try long enough :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

That sounds less like a grief and more like roleplaying a third world country.

As an RPer, I can't tell where the RP ends and griefing begins. It sounds like legit RP that RPers were pretty chill about. Excepting the permaban on the guy who killed the mayor. That doesn't make any sense from any perspective...

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Howard Beale posted:

Fish oil was easy enough to come by and was worth it. In BC I used to hang around the entrance to Coilfang Reservoir with my shaman and hit the cool kids who jumped off their flying mounts to dive into the tunnel. When they complained, I'd simply tell 'em "NO DIVING, LIFEGUARD NOT ON DUTY."

You could also use it during the Lurker Below fight in Serpentshrine Cavern just before people tried to jump into the water to avoid Lurker's spout attack, but you had to really hate the other 24 people in your raid to do it.

In vanilla fish oil wasn't hard, but it was annoying to get. It didn't drop off all the aquatic enemies like it has since Burning Crusade, you had to go out of your way and farm it, instead of having bags full of it by accident.

I kinda wish I was around to raid in BC. There were so many chances to kill people with water in places like Serpentshrine. For those that don't play WoW, it's a dungeon that's all platforms over water.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SlothfulCobra posted:

That sounds less like a grief and more like roleplaying a third world country.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Slappy Moose posted:

But he wouldn't loving say anything. Did I just get a lovely, quiet person or what? Is there anything else I can do to lame people on my team?
Well, I only play with friends, so I can't speak to that, buuut...

Slappy Moose posted:

He died almost immediately during every boss, and I'd just force him to wait and watch me beat them before taking the loot and leaving as fast as I could, sometimes preventing him from getting any loot himself.
In Diablo3, each person gets separate loot drops that only they can see and they get that loot whether or not they do any damage to the monsters. You even still get achievements for beating the bosses if you're dead. Furthermore, better loot drops just be virtue of having additional players in the game. So basically, you joined his game and killed all the monsters for him, giving him better loot in the process. You just inadvertently... what's the opposite of griefing? Helping?

Yeah. You helped him.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

In Diablo3, each person gets separate loot drops that only they can see and they get that loot whether or not they do any damage to the monsters. You even still get achievements for beating the bosses if you're dead. Furthermore, better loot drops just be virtue of having additional players in the game. So basically, you joined his game and killed all the monsters for him, giving him better loot in the process. You just inadvertently... what's the opposite of griefing? Helping?

Yeah. You helped him.

I don't think loot shows up for people who aren't "present" for the kills.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You get loot no matter what, it drops, its just the matter of going back and geting it. But yea, you are the anti-griefer.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Yeah. You helped him.

This is nitpicky but more players do not increase loot quality or quantity.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Tequila posted:

I don't think loot shows up for people who aren't "present" for the kills.
I've only survived two of my three trips to the butcher and I definitely got loot each time. I was dead but still 'in the room' e.g. I hadn't rezzed, so it's possible that you may get screwed out of loot if you're in town.

Sunblood posted:

This is nitpicky but more players do not increase loot quality or quantity.
I can't find any Blizzard-posted proof, but it's known that loot quality / quantity increases with monster level, and additional players increase monster level. In my experience, rarer items drop more frequently with more players.

Ribbo
Jun 28, 2009

by T. Smith

I've only survived two of my three trips to the butcher and I definitely got loot each time. I was dead but still 'in the room' e.g. I hadn't rezzed, so it's possible that you may get screwed out of loot if you're in town.

I can't find any Blizzard-posted proof, but it's known that loot quality / quantity increases with monster level, and additional players increase monster level. In my experience, rarer items drop more frequently with more players.

Anecdotal evidence does not equal fact. As already stated more players does not increase loot quality or quantity.

When loot is dropped there is however a modifier and that is the % of finding loot bonus which is done as an average of all the players. So if you're not wearing any of that gear when you join, then you are potentially reducing the chance of all the other players to get loot.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Additional players merely give the monsters additional health. The monster level does not increase.

I've been having moderate success baiting racists by typing Chinese in chat in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I usually get at least one guy talking about "ching chong" and "chinks".
Unfortunately I don't really have any idea of how to follow that up and actually get some rage and tears out of them :( Although I did get someone kicked for being racist in an SC2 custom game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Additional players merely give the monsters additional health. The monster level does not increase.

I've been having moderate success baiting racists by typing Chinese in chat in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I usually get at least one guy talking about "ching chong" and "chinks".
Unfortunately I don't really have any idea of how to follow that up and actually get some rage and tears out of them :( Although I did get someone kicked for being racist in an SC2 custom game.
Kick their asses and gloat in broken English.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLfm3B_R9g

What is it with minecraft and mutants posting "Epic Griefing vicdeos!!"? This poo poo is not entertaining or interesting ever.

Although, I must say, Mr. Timelegacy sure has an amazing intro to his videos.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

As an RPer, I can't tell where the RP ends and griefing begins. It sounds like legit RP that RPers were pretty chill about. Excepting the permaban on the guy who killed the mayor. That doesn't make any sense from any perspective...

I assume there was some sort of list of rules and somewhere on the rules-list is a rule against killing the mayor if you are of a certain faction, because they are supposed to roleplay some sort of community and the mayor is sort of the head of all that. And when the mayor goes rogue...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

big duck equals goose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLfm3B_R9g

What is it with minecraft and mutants posting "Epic Griefing vicdeos!!"? This poo poo is not entertaining or interesting ever.

Although, I must say, Mr. Timelegacy sure has an amazing intro to his videos.

I think I got it earlier in the thread, but there is ONE good MineCraft grief video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNGTsWCYmA

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing that killed it was that we didn't get to see the admin freak out about the best things they did before they broke everything.

Kind of griefing their own effort a bit.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I think this one was pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E

AXE COP fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 13, 2012

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

bucketmouse posted:

E: Well-coordinated teams running really stupid team compositions can cause immense amounts of rage/comedy too. This probably isn't worth watching if you haven't played league but it's silly and excellent if you know what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRjJR56LkgU

Oh, it gets much sillier than just stealth characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzsXR4sM_Y

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Oh, it gets much sillier than just stealth characters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwzsXR4sM_Y
:stare: I'm not sure if that was "griefing," but it was REALLY good min/maxing and teamwork.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Tarezax posted:

I've just been pasting korean or japanese or chinese (not like they can tell the difference) translations of the GNU GPL and already got several people banned in League of Legends.

Why are so many gamers so racist/homophobic/etc?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Team AVO does some pretty drat funny griefing videos. This is not a Minecraft video but they mainly do Minecraft griefing; they really go out of their way to grief too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMqUXlvoIc

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Apparently he was permabanned because he shot the mayor when he was in the middle of a firefight. Non-combatants aren't allowed to be shot until the firefight is over or something.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Biowarfare posted:

I've just been pasting korean or japanese or chinese [...] and already got several people banned in League of Legends.

LoL is a "perfect storm" situation for trolling this way, though. It's free to play and runs on nearly any computer, so you get every thirteen-year-old and every person who hauls their craptop to the library playing it. Then you have its matchmaking system that ensures you almost never play with the same person twice, so you have an endless supply of new marks. And of course there's the fact that you're playing a cooperative game in the most rage-inducing genre of all time.

I "grief" in this game just by being polite and playing my best, though. Got a toxic rager on my team? I encourage them: either they'll shape up, or they'll break down and say hilarious things. Loudmouth opponent gloating in allchat? I say stuff like "nice kill, but I'm totally gonna get you next time ;)".

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Biowarfare posted:

I've just been pasting korean or japanese or chinese (not like they can tell the difference) translations of the GNU GPL and already got several people banned in League of Legends.

I've got a younger brother at high school age and there seems to be a trend among his friends and people his age with being purposefully offensive for laughs. It seems to be adopted from Internet culture. I don't "get" it, and don't understand why any of them find it very funny. My brother is even a rational, mature young dude who is generally very polite and respectful-- but I catch him playing games with friends over skype on the PC (stuff like LoL, WoW, that star wars MMO, etc.) and yelling the kind of stuff over the mic that I know isn't part of his regular vocabulary.

I mean, his friends are a bunch of meek, shy nerds who go quiet when my girlfriend or sister and her friends enter the room-- but get them together in an online game and they turn into macho alphas calling their opponents "faggots" and "pussies" and shouting into the mic aggressively.

Maybe it's an outlet for aggression that they don't get in their everyday lives because none of them are athletic or do any extra-curriculars or have any hobbies besides video games. I know none of them are bad kids even in the slightest, but they sure turn into little pricks when they play online games.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a thing they do for fun, I think everyone did it when they were teenagers, but it becomes a thing when they suddenly meet people online who are honestly meaning the poo poo they say and not just throwing poo poo for poo poo's sake.

It's when they realize there are some people out there who honestly think what they are saying and they will probably rethink their efforts when they realize their actions are supportive of these people and propagates a problem.

A problem most of us are already over.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mordaedil posted:

It's a thing they do for fun, I think everyone did it when they were teenagers, but it becomes a thing when they suddenly meet people online who are honestly meaning the poo poo they say and not just throwing poo poo for poo poo's sake.

It's when they realize there are some people out there who honestly think what they are saying and they will probably rethink their efforts when they realize their actions are supportive of these people and propagates a problem.

A problem most of us are already over.

I agree with this guy. Back in late junior high/early high school I did the same things.

For content. My friends and I still play L4D2 because it's a short easy game to play when there's an hour to kill but we spend every chance we get loving with each other. It's not true griefing because nobody leaves mad but it's fun. It's just little things like running past gas cans and shooting them to slow everyone behind you down, hitting someone pounced by a hunter/knocked out with molotovs/pipebombs/boomer bile/grenades, and running past tanks while it's preoccupied with beating the poo poo out of each other. The minute the rescue vehicle shows up it becomes a death match to see if you can be the only survivor. It adds a lot of fun to the game playing like assholes since we've played through all the levels normally way too many times.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I haven't committed to trolling any chat anywhere in about a decade and a half so, yeah, time has made me pretty uninterested in pissing off random internet people. I love reading about it though, bless you goons. I kind of miss the impetus to be an immature smug rear end in a top hat though. Now I, you know, act that way to buddies when drunk, and even then it just doesn't provide the fix I want.

I used to use the names of politicians as my player name just to get a rise out of people. Pat Robertson was always good for a laugh, and figured highly in my name for a couple years of compulsive gaming. I also played some :420: servers where the admins would get ridiculous and do hour long grenade and knife rounds with all sorts of fuckery which would eventually crash their servers. When I was 19 I politely asked a hacker to leave a CSS game and I've never been the same (dude actually left amidst the outpouring of tactless hate and insults).

On the other hand kids these days are pretty crude and unimaginative as this amazing thread showcases. Calling someone a human being via your microphone is just not as good as emptying someone's house in an unforgiving archaic MMO or destroying a virtual economy or crashing servers or causing a plague or generally exploiting chaos mechanics or creating them.

It's good to know there's hope for mature griefing... I just wish I had a go-to online game anymore. A lot of them seem like colossal timesinks and investments, though I may start playing TF2.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
The Pat Robertson thing reminded me of one of the few times I ended up griefing people, not even intentionally.

It was in Infantry, a top-down 2d shooter way back in the day. Most of the gametypes didn't really have long-term gains for your character to aim for, so making a bunch of alts with joke names was common.

After a history class in high school, I made one named Zhou Enlai, and convinced friends to roll out with Mao Tsetung, Deng Xiaopeng, etc. We basically played the game completely as normal, just occasionally inciting the workers of the world to unite, and cheering the proletariat to arise.

I didn't expect people to get incredibly furious.

Keep in mind this was a game where it was pretty standard for players to drop a macro saying 'nInJaBlAdE just OWNED *yourname*' each time they killed you, so much so this rarely elicited much anger. This time, though, they'd stay mad for a half hour or more, and got more vitriolic than I'd ever seen before or since. And I used to play CounterStrike a lot.

For some reason people absolutely lost their poo poo when Deng Xiaopeng told them their suffering was regrettable but necessary for the Great Leap Forward :shobon: I guess they really loved capitalism or something.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Slum Loser posted:

When I was 19 I politely asked a hacker to leave a CSS game and I've never been the same (dude actually left amidst the outpouring of tactless hate and insults).

Hahahaha, that actually sounds like me. I used to do a bunch of wallhacks/aimbotting in CS:S servers when I was younger, but if people asked politely I'd leave. People would bitch up and down at me and swear uncontrollably and think of the greatest creative new racist/sexist/homophobic slur combinations, but as soon as somebody said "please", then I'd leave.

Or banned :v:

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Cowman posted:

Team AVO does some pretty drat funny griefing videos. This is not a Minecraft video but they mainly do Minecraft griefing; they really go out of their way to grief too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nMqUXlvoIc

Holy poo poo what a condescending sperg this is incredible. That game is so.... stupid.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Blog Free or Die posted:

After a history class in high school, I made one named Zhou Enlai, and convinced friends to roll out with Mao Tsetung, Deng Xiaopeng, etc. We basically played the game completely as normal, just occasionally inciting the workers of the world to unite, and cheering the proletariat to arise.

Holy poo poo, I think I actually remember running into (some of) you. I remember having at least one guy leave because I pointed out an inaccuracy in his routine (just to be an rear end myself) and suggested that the government had someone on their way to "re-educate" him in the ways of glorious Chinese prosperity.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Holy poo poo what a condescending sperg this is incredible. That game is so.... stupid.

Can someone explain what the exactly is going on in this jailbreak thing?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheSpiritFox posted:

Can someone explain what the exactly is going on in this jailbreak thing?

Yea, what the hell is the point of that game? Get Bossed Around by an rear end in a top hat: The Game

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Snatch Duster posted:

Yea, what the hell is the point of that game? Get Bossed Around by an rear end in a top hat: The Game

It's to REBEL AGAINST THE POWER IN INTERESTING WAYS. Except most people playing as the assholes will basically be watching you completely and reduce the chances of this happening forever.

what it actually is however, it's just playing Simon says where you die if you gently caress up and have to sit and watch the thrilling conclusion of a long, drawn out game of Simon Says where spineless fucks just listen for the rest of the game and die.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think playing that mod is griefing yourself. I do find it enjoyable that Sperg Cop bought admin. He doesn't own the server or anything. No, he just thought he'd buy admin on whatever lovely server to enforce his stupid rules.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
I remember there being a jailbreak map for original Starcraft, too. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't make sense now.

Here's some more good gmod stuff along those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oXlvBWc3w

Even though I've seen it probably a dozen times now I still can't keep a straight face at the clip from 1:13 to 1:24.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 14, 2012

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
IIRC Jailbreak maps in Starcraft: Brood War were a totally different beast from the GMod stuff. They were a sort of obstacle course map, not a prison RP.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Blog Free or Die posted:

The Pat Robertson thing reminded me of one of the few times I ended up griefing people, not even intentionally.

It was in Infantry, a top-down 2d shooter way back in the day. Most of the gametypes didn't really have long-term gains for your character to aim for, so making a bunch of alts with joke names was common.

I didn't expect people to get incredibly furious.

Keep in mind this was a game where it was pretty standard for players to drop a macro saying 'nInJaBlAdE just OWNED *yourname*' each time they killed you, so much so this rarely elicited much anger. This time, though, they'd stay mad for a half hour or more, and got more vitriolic than I'd ever seen before or since. And I used to play CounterStrike a lot.

For some reason people absolutely lost their poo poo when Deng Xiaopeng told them their suffering was regrettable but necessary for the Great Leap Forward :shobon: I guess they really loved capitalism or something.

Infantry owned, I was so sad when I read that it was being shut down. Some popular griefs in that game involved one of the game modes (actually a few of them) that did have some long term gain sorts of things where you could basically grind money or XP or something (it's been a while, can't precisely remember) to purchase gear. One such class was infiltrator, which had a cloak and typically meant that you'd use a melee weapon and stab dudes, or grenade them and unload at close range with either a shotgun or the gauss rifle (super long range sniper rifle.)

If they had the gauss rifle, they had to zoom in to really be effective. In a top-down game that meant that the screen would actually scroll over, causing you to not see your dude. Cue infiltrators backstabbing snipers that never saw it coming, causing huge amounts of rage (think useless snipers on 2fort in TF2, or wookies in BF2 that never leave their hill.) Other fun griefs involved dropping a turret or some other solid object in the path of the gauss round. They would zoom in so far that they'd never see why their bullets simply weren't getting there.

Enemy players tended to clump together for fire support (or healing, or whatever), making it hard to sneak up on them cloaked. Waiting for a team of cloaked infiltrators to get into position, then one person decloaking and firing off a few plasma rounds (which made you show up on radar) often caused the entire enemy team's heavier loadouts to spam explosives in your direction, killing all the infiltrators who so carefully wasted time getting into position.

Other fun tricks: stealing people's hoverboards, hiding the enemy flag in some useless corner of the map surrounded by mines and chatting at people that you were too scared from all the violence to move back to your base and capture it; announcing enemy concentrations or flags in some random sector (would cause people to teleport there and find nothing....or get ambushed).

Yeah that game was awesome.

Cosmic Rift was basically spaceship version of the same thing. If you've ever played the Space Rangers series, it's very similar to the "Wormhole" mechanic. There was lots of potential for griefing people by putting down repulsor bombs that would repeatedly prevent them from getting to where they wanted to go (or smash them into walls for damage). Also, the community was full of 10 year olds (compared to Infantry's slightly better 14 year olds) so just about anything you'd say would cause a chat eruption of racial slurs.

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe

Tarezax posted:

IIRC Jailbreak maps in Starcraft: Brood War were a totally different beast from the GMod stuff. They were a sort of obstacle course map, not a prison RP.

Yeah those obstacle courses ruled. Also in warcraft there was a map of hostage negotiation and nobody would ever bargain for the hostages just run in killing all the badmen. One time I just gave them the money and people were PISSED. I ruined their Swat fantasy power and when the game restarted I played as the bad guys and executed all the hostages ending the game in 30 seconds. I got angry whispers for the rest of the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

bucketmouse posted:

I remember there being a jailbreak map for original Starcraft, too. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't make sense now.

Here's some more good gmod stuff along those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oXlvBWc3w

Even though I've seen it probably a dozen times now I still can't keep a straight face at the clip from 1:13 to 1:24.

I've watched a few more of his videos and Jesus Christ! I knew there was some anger to be had in TF2, CS:S, Gmod, etc but this is incandescent rage at its best. What is it about source games that will bring out the absolute worst in people?

• Locked thread