Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

Blinkz0rz posted:

Yes it did. Power management has treated WiFi the same way since iOS 3.

In the six months I've had this 4s, I've only seen the 3g icon at home when my router has died. I'm not arguing over the ins and outs of the wifi policy, I'm just trying to get this phone working the same way that it did prior to upgrading to 5.1.1

I'll try AutoProtect and see if that makes any difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Not sure but my WiFi works like Blinkzorz. Plugged in stays on WiFi even when sleeping. Unplugged it shows the 3G icon for 2 seconds when I awake it and jumps back to WiFi. Has done this since I picked up 4s on launch.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Well installing AutoProtect seems to have got it back how it was for me previously - no 3g icon popping up on wake. Huzzah!

BOLLOCKS, literally after I type that it starts doing the 3g poo poo again. gently caress it, had a shite weekend and don't need this winding me up now, will look into it more tomorrow.

dirtyfrog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 10, 2012

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Well that update and JB from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 went pretty seamless, although Cydia does seem to crash a bit more than I'm used to. AptBackup was great as well.

Anyone have any issues with DataDeposit on this JB? I backed up a game (9innings2011) via DD before I JB'ed and it didn't restore my game progress when I tried to restore it.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

I don't know if this exists, but is there something that will let me set language on an app by app basis?

I live in Korea, so I'd like to have my contacts and a few apps sort by Korean. If the device is in English, all my Korean contacts are just under the # sign and not separated right. In Korean everything is fine. But with the device in Korean, my music sucks because the easy-scroll thing is only half English, even though 90% of my music is English.

So is there any jailbreak thing that will let me set contacts and a few other apps for Korean, and keep everything else English? Or vice versa?

Nothing like this exists as far as I know. However, if you put in the English pronunciation of people's names in the "Phonetic First/Last Name" fields, it will get the names out of the # section and sort them in English based on what you put in those fields.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Looks like SiriPort has stopped working on two separate phones overnight. Is anybody else experiencing this?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Zorilla posted:

Looks like SiriPort has stopped working on two separate phones overnight. Is anybody else experiencing this?

SiriPort.ru posted:

Siri Port Server
Published on 6.11.2012 by gdimait in SiriPort.Ru

Currently, work is underway on the server!

The original server and the Russian Siri will resume tonight.

I apologize.

Server will be back soon! Wait please!
via google translate

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
If you weren't already going nuts from countless people going on how useless Siri is to "HOW CAN I GET SIRI WORKING ON MY NON-SUPPORTED IPHONE?", get ready for people to start complaining that their iPhone 4 cannot use Flyover or Turn by Turn Navigation in iOS 6. Those are both reserved for the A5+ devices.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
I've been using Waze for my turn-by-turn on my iPhone 4 without any complaints, Apple would have had to put out something really good to get me to change up anyway.

E:

My SiriPort is back up and running.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 12, 2012

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

iPhone 4 cannot use Flyover or Turn by Turn Navigation in iOS 6. Those are both reserved for the A5+ devices.
Turn-by-turn navigation not being available on the iPhone 4 seems ludicrous. I also don't understand why the 3GS will get iOS 6, but the first gen iPad won't.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

I also don't understand why the 3GS will get iOS 6, but the first gen iPad won't.

I'd suggest it's because they still sell the iPhone 3GS but not the iPad 1.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Klowns posted:

I've been using Waze for my turn-by-turn on my iPhone 4 without any complaints, Apple would have had to put out something really good to get me to change up anyway.

Waze was honestly a godsend when I went on a trip out-of-state recently. Having alerts about oncoming speed traps and other events (likely submitted minutes before) in addition to the turn-by-turn directions was amazing.

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
So how many already jailbroken ipad3 owners are there going to be itching to install ios6 for siri before a jailbreak solution is done ?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I can't think of a single time id ever use Siri. You see people trying to use it on their 4s and having to repeat phrases over and over.

On an iPad I imagine it would be even less useful, as I don't carry my iPad with me 24/7 like I do my phone. And typing to me seems less cumbersome than trying to get an app to recognise a brittish accent, as dictation on the ipad3 is poo poo enough.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

by astral

Hamburlgar posted:

I can't think of a single time id ever use Siri. You see people trying to use it on their 4s and having to repeat phrases over and over.

On an iPad I imagine it would be even less useful, as I don't carry my iPad with me 24/7 like I do my phone. And typing to me seems less cumbersome than trying to get an app to recognise a brittish accent, as dictation on the ipad3 is poo poo enough.

Agreed. Until voice recognition works flawlessly, I will always type over talk to my electronic device/computer. Repeating myself, or speaking at the speed of a toddler isnt appealing to me. If I could literally chat to my ipad and get results, I would give it a shot. Suppose i ll just have to wait. Plus Siri really doesnt like UK northern accents. Or southern come to think of it.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Siri works pretty decently for me on my phone, but I definitely wouldn't bother un-jailbreaking an iPad for it. I just can't see it being that useful on a tablet, especially when don't have a data plan on it anyhow.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
I'll lose the jailbreak for a couple of reasons: 1) there's nothing about the jailbreak that's so great anyway and 2) I can always use tiny umbrella to go back.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Looks like Music Controls Pro got updated finally. Adds 5.1.1 support and better app compatibility. I know that for me at least, it's now working with the latest Spotify!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I'll lose the jailbreak for a couple of reasons: 1) there's nothing about the jailbreak that's so great anyway and 2) I can always use tiny umbrella to go back.

You can revert from iOS beta without needing to have tinyumbrella blobs. At least, that's how it's been in the past.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Hamburlgar posted:

I'll admit that I spent an inordinate amount of effort on getting it to work, knowing that it was a gimmick. It was just a petulant little tantrum "I can't have it? There's no good reason why not! I'LL SHOW YOU APPLE."

And now I've just disabled it. Because saying "Play "Dark Comes the Night"" and then waiting awkwardly for 10 seconds is not easier than just finding and playing it normally.

The only useful thing is texting while cooking or cleaning, but at that point I feel like I should just call on speaker phone.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Shmoogy posted:

You can revert from iOS beta without needing to have tinyumbrella blobs. At least, that's how it's been in the past.

Oh really? That's nice. I remember back in the days of the iOS 3 beta, you couldn't go back without some sort of hackery.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

The Aphasian posted:

The only useful thing is texting while cooking or cleaning, but at that point I feel like I should just call on speaker phone.
This how I feel about Siri and I have a 4S. Though, Siri's also good for making quick reminders and notes, and also the weather. Great for timers though.

Also, having AnyVoice set up and giving Siri the Australian accent is awesome no matter what you ask of her.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Blimpkin posted:

This how I feel about Siri and I have a 4S. Though, Siri's also good for making quick reminders and notes, and also the weather. Great for timers though.

So almost all her advertised features :)?

I also find stores and poo poo on her a bunch while driving.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

So almost all her advertised features :)?

I also find stores and poo poo on her a bunch while driving.

True, I don't really use her for commands where it just makes sense to use my fingers . She's really fun at reading text messages though. Especially with accents. The other day, I received a text while carrying my groceries, and asked her to read it. Hilariously, it wasn't from the girl I had been talking to but my buddy to inform me of what happened to a dude who stole money from me. Siri read in an Australian accent "Nahh bro, he be dodgin niggas here too."

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Anyone have any experience with IntellID its supposed to show who is calling you from an unknown number, but I can't figure the drat thing out I get 2 trial look-ups before I have to buy the app but if I can't figure how to get the trial to work I have little interest in purchasing the thing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have an iPad 3. At present, what bluetooth controllers (that currently exist and aren't the WiiMote (because I already know about that one.)) can be made to work with the iPad for gaming?

Can the Sony DS3?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The tendency to refer to Siri using a gender-identifying pronoun is really unsettling.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bucket Joneses posted:

The tendency to refer to Siri using a gender-identifying pronoun is really unsettling.

Uh... Why? Siri has a decidedly female voice. How is it any more unsettling than referring to anything else that way? What about boats or cars?

crsktn
Jun 12, 2012
This user is an Objectivist and a 'brony' lmfao get a load of this dipshit's post ->

lol, right? :smugdog:

Funkmaster General posted:

Uh... Why? Siri has a decidedly female voice. How is it any more unsettling than referring to anything else that way? What about boats or cars?

You can have sex with a boat or a car, I can't have sex with a remote software database.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

crsktn posted:

You can have sex with a boat or a car, I can't have sex with a remote software database.

Why the hell not? There's a server bank somewhere with some open expansion slots.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I'm a dinosaur and still wandering around with an iPhone 3g on AT&T.

Whats the preferred method of jailbreaking now?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Robzilla posted:

So I'm a dinosaur and still wandering around with an iPhone 3g on AT&T.

Whats the preferred method of jailbreaking now?
Check jailbreakmatrix.com and consider trying whited00r.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

randyest posted:

Check jailbreakmatrix.com and consider trying whited00r.

Wow, Jailbreaking has come a long way since I JB'd my iPhone 3 way back on iOS 4.0. The new tools are completely automated, it's amazing.

I may just have to JB my 4 for shits and giggles.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I'm loving my new iPad, but I'm going crazy without Swype. I know there's an app called iSwipe on Cydia for jailbroken devices, but I can't find any recent reviews of it, and some of the old ones state that it only works for Apple apps like Notes that I never use. This is really the only reason I'd want to JB my iPad, does anyone have any experience with it?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Zodium posted:

I'm loving my new iPad, but I'm going crazy without Swype. I know there's an app called iSwipe on Cydia for jailbroken devices, but I can't find any recent reviews of it, and some of the old ones state that it only works for Apple apps like Notes that I never use. This is really the only reason I'd want to JB my iPad, does anyone have any experience with it?

Would SwipeSelection more or less be the same thing as Swype? I have that on both my iPad and iPhone. It works with anything the keyboard pops up for.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ibntumart posted:

Would SwipeSelection more or less be the same thing as Swype? I have that on both my iPad and iPhone. It works with anything the keyboard pops up for.

That's not exactly the same thing, but now I have two reasons to jailbreak my iPad. Swype is an Android keyboard that works sort of like T9, but by analyzing finger swipes across the keyboard. It feels a lot more natural to me than tap typing does on a touch device without tactile feedback. Almost any writing work feels really tedious to me on the iPad, where part of that comes from an imprecise selection and editing interface, and part comes from the lack of gesture typing. iSwipe is supposed to replicate the gesture typing of Swype for iPad.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

crsktn posted:

Sorry you can't have sex with Siri and hold grudges!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

I think it speaks more to Siri and Apple, and how people associate their phone with a gender. It takes a lot of marketing (or something) to have your phone act as something more organic.

I know I catch myself saying "she" every once in a while and I'm generally not that "nerdy"

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I don't understand the discomfort at all. It's very human to empathize with or anthropomorphize an inanimate object, especially one that you can actually have a (limited, non-Turing passing) verbal "conversation" with.

While we don't have a gendered language we typically assign gender roles to objects and ideas, even when we don't assign them pronouns (I remember a study where most Americans felt "fork" was masculine and "spoon" feminine, due mainly to cultural gender tradition and a host of other things, but none of them said Mr. Fork and Ms. Spoon).

Even before Siri, did none of you ever cuss out a hammer that you hit your own thumb with, or call a computer/car/coffee maker a piece of poo poo when it stopped working?

I mean sure, make fun of the inevitable crazy guy "marrying" Siri and mspainting an anime simulacra of her on an awkward photo he took of himself hugging air, but this whole discussion is very :bahgawd::goonsay::spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Funkmaster General posted:

It's equally unsettling to me when people identify cars and boats as women, yes.

• Locked thread