Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

obi_ant posted:

I decided that I'm not going to the dealer anymore for my car maintenance. They take a bit too long and they're expensive. Their oil changes take about 8 hours, and the last service I had at 20,000 was about $500. How would I be able to look for a nice place to service my GTI aside from going to Yelp? I'm in the San Francisco area if that helps.

Eh? I took mine in over the Memorial Day weekend and they did my 10k service in under an hour, only reason it took that long was because I got there before my appointment. But really, there is no reason to have the dealership do any service unless you are using the "carefree maintenance" that is already included in the price of a new VW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm having my car worked on at the dealer right now (because insurance is paying for it).

That said, they pulled the tranny cover off today and said the internals hadn't gotten damaged. :toot:

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I have a 2012 Audi A4 2.0T loaner, and it's been bugging me all day what transmission it has. When I switch the transmission to manual mode, it has 8 ratios. That seems to indicate that it's the CVT. On the other hand, the car is a Quattro and Wikipedia seems to indicate that those are DSG only. Also, the transmission shifts really smoothly and doesn't do the rubber-bandy thing that DSGs typically do (or maybe it's just tuned really well).

Help! :psyduck:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Admirable Gusto posted:

I have a 2012 Audi A4 2.0T loaner, and it's been bugging me all day what transmission it has. When I switch the transmission to manual mode, it has 8 ratios. That seems to indicate that it's the CVT. On the other hand, the car is a Quattro and Wikipedia seems to indicate that those are DSG only. Also, the transmission shifts really smoothly and doesn't do the rubber-bandy thing that DSGs typically do (or maybe it's just tuned really well).

Help! :psyduck:

Looking at Audi's website it seems that the Tiptronic auto that they use is an 8 speed. http://configurator.audiusa.com/acc/aoa-aoa-aoa-eng.view;jsessionid=AlbspbMM_-HQFiF5HjbyKVsIr3CAl8kpmYCAWNa9?msk=1#engine

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's the ZF 8 speed torque converter trans. Same one Chrysler uses.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bovril Delight posted:

What are you talking about? VW offers a 3yr/36k bumper to bumper and a 5y/60k powertrain warranty. Which, off the top of my head, is the same as Ford, Toyota (& Scion), Subaru, Nissan & Honda.

Cars are cheap in the USA so something has got to give.

VW warranty where I am:

Of course a GTI starts from around $45k USD

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My new (to me) 2010 GTI is throwing P2015, or Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance. Is this always a sign the sensor needs replaced, or can it just be a function of a tune/intake? It just barely crossed 36k miles. :ohdear:

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

My new (to me) 2010 GTI is throwing P2015, or Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance. Is this always a sign the sensor needs replaced, or can it just be a function of a tune/intake? It just barely crossed 36k miles. :ohdear:
Your intake runner sensor is bad OR the actuator is broken. On the driver's side of the intake mani. you should be able to see the solenoid and its linkage - check that its all still connected. The position sensor is on the opposite end of the manifold. I've replaced intake manifolds and sensors for that fault depending on what readings I get from the sensor.

Fistrockbone
Nov 30, 2006
2001 Jetta GL 78k miles

Firestone told me I have a hole in the muffler near the catalytic converter, and would probably run me $1600 since they would have to do take it off, making it labor intensive. How much does that part actually cost? I'm thinking about just trading it in to a dealer, and I don't want too much taken off from the trade-in value(there is a VW dealer across the street from them and I think that they help each other out parts-wise on used cars).

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

10 year 100k mile powertrain on the Touareg. German Craftsmanship :smug:

They did this because all of us with T1's and T2's have catastrophic issues at 60-70k miles, and they can't sell them anymore without it. Meanwhile, I'm researching getting a new transmission for my T2. German Craftsmanship :shepicide:

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Fistrockbone posted:

2001 Jetta GL 78k miles

Firestone told me I have a hole in the muffler near the catalytic converter, and would probably run me $1600 since they would have to do take it off, making it labor intensive. How much does that part actually cost? I'm thinking about just trading it in to a dealer, and I don't want too much taken off from the trade-in value(there is a VW dealer across the street from them and I think that they help each other out parts-wise on used cars).

The cat and muffler(s) aren't really close on your exhaust. The cat comes off the exh manifold flange, goes to a flex pipe then to the cat. At that point there's an exhaust double clamp then the mid muffler then possibly another clamp (if the mid muffler has already been replaced) then the main (rear) muffler. The flex pipe off the cat is a well known leak point as is the weld at the rear of the body of the cat. Any muffler shop should be able to remove the cat in less than an hour and replace the flex joint or repair a rotten weld unless the leak is very large. I think the OEM cats were going for around $1000 so $1600 seems a little steep. We've covered some cats on cars like yours under extended warranty so dropping by your local VW shop might not be a bad idea.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I decided that I'm not going to the dealer anymore for my car maintenance. They take a bit too long and they're expensive. Their oil changes take about 8 hours, and the last service I had at 20,000 was about $500. How would I be able to look for a nice place to service my GTI aside from going to Yelp? I'm in the San Francisco area if that helps.

Two places that I've had good experiences with taking various VAG cars to (GTI, A4, allroad):
http://www.tomassporttuning.com/
http://burlingameindependent.com/

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
(02 A6 2.7) I recently swapped out my old 5HP19 FAQ code transmission with an identical used one (80k miles). I took apart the transmission to swap in and visually inspected it - planetary gears looked fine, as well as the bands, and the valve body seemed to be in good condition.

I installed the transmission and TC and have filled it up with about 8.5 liters of fluid (transmission was completely empty, a little bit of fluid in the TC but not much and hardly any fluid in the cooler lines). I've read that these transmissions have a capacity of 9.3 liters or so. I'm fine in 1st and 2nd, but from third up there's some really major slippage. RPM goes high like it's in neutral, then it slams into gear and goes into limp mode. My traction control light is stuck on too, and the ABS and BRAKE lights flash occasionally. Here's my codes, pulled with VCDS from the tranny module:

17118 - Gear 4: Incorrect Ratio
P0734 - 35-00 - -

18114 - Transmission Faulty
P1706 - 35-00 - -

Also throwing this one on and off:

17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring: Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0730 - 35-00 - -

I plan on getting it on four jacks (for the fourth time) tomorrow to see if I can get more fluid in. Would the slippage be that bad if it was a matter of fluid?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

(02 A6 2.7) I recently swapped out my old 5HP19 FAQ code transmission with an identical used one (80k miles). I took apart the transmission to swap in and visually inspected it - planetary gears looked fine, as well as the bands, and the valve body seemed to be in good condition.

I installed the transmission and TC and have filled it up with about 8.5 liters of fluid (transmission was completely empty, a little bit of fluid in the TC but not much and hardly any fluid in the cooler lines). I've read that these transmissions have a capacity of 9.3 liters or so. I'm fine in 1st and 2nd, but from third up there's some really major slippage. RPM goes high like it's in neutral, then it slams into gear and goes into limp mode. My traction control light is stuck on too, and the ABS and BRAKE lights flash occasionally. Here's my codes, pulled with VCDS from the tranny module:

17118 - Gear 4: Incorrect Ratio
P0734 - 35-00 - -

18114 - Transmission Faulty
P1706 - 35-00 - -

Also throwing this one on and off:

17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring: Incorrect Gear Ratio
P0730 - 35-00 - -

I plan on getting it on four jacks (for the fourth time) tomorrow to see if I can get more fluid in. Would the slippage be that bad if it was a matter of fluid?

If the fluid level is low then you can have slippage for sure or if the fluid is incorrect. I've never seen those codes before though.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

obi_ant posted:

A good friend of mine just recently started his own shop in SF

https://www.facebook.com/MotorArzt
http://www.motorarzt.com/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I love nothing more than spending money out of pocket for insurance deductibles, but out of curiosity, how much would this likely cost to repair? A lot of the plastic bits inside the mirror mount are utterly shattered.

The mirrors are motorized! So I can fold them in whenever I park! So no one fucks with them on accident! Goddammit! What I love coming back to after an already subpar night on the town! I have no idea how this could be accidental in any way other than someone going "gently caress that guy! :smug:"

I've got some driving to do tomorrow (Well, later today I guess). I was going to try to cleanly remove the mirror so it isn't dangling down and dinging the poo poo out of my door. I assume this won't be a big deal for the insurance company?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

If you don't want to pay so much for it, go hit up a junkyard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

smax posted:

If you don't want to pay so much for it, go hit up a junkyard.

My dedudctible is not terrible, I was just more curious how much this would run me if I wanted to avoid making a claim and do it all out of pocket. I don't know how many B7 A4 Dolphin Grey passenger-side mirror assemblies would be in decent condition at a junkyard in Michigan.

I only mention the colour because I can't paint for poo poo, and I bet it would be pricey to get it done.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

What's a good source for accessories for the VW OEM roof crossbars on an '04 Passat wagon? I'm looking for something appropriate for securing things like 2x4s and having zero luck without resorting to buying a whole system from Yakima or Thule and gently caress that noise because those things are expensive, even on eBay.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Got my passat back from the body shop, and the steering is still off (tracks right when you're steering dead ahead), and about 5 minutes into driving home I got a CEL.

Pulled the CEL code when I got home and it wasn't any code I've had before. Instead it was P1522- Camshaft Adjustment; Bank2: Malfunction.

Going to call the shop and the morning and get it dropped back off for them to fix this crap. Hopefully the CEL is just a bad/loose sensor, but having that pop up just after an accident doesn't inspire much hope. Still shocked that they didn't total this car after seeing the $6000 bill the shop is sending the insurance company.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

movax posted:

I love nothing more than spending money out of pocket for insurance deductibles, but out of curiosity, how much would this likely cost to repair? A lot of the plastic bits inside the mirror mount are utterly shattered.

The mirrors are motorized! So I can fold them in whenever I park! So no one fucks with them on accident! Goddammit! What I love coming back to after an already subpar night on the town! I have no idea how this could be accidental in any way other than someone going "gently caress that guy! :smug:"

I've got some driving to do tomorrow (Well, later today I guess). I was going to try to cleanly remove the mirror so it isn't dangling down and dinging the poo poo out of my door. I assume this won't be a big deal for the insurance company?

I don't suggest cutting any cables to remove it. When this happened to my old car the insurance agent told me that I most likely would have had to pay for anything I damaged after the fact. I just duct taped it to the window so that it wouldn't swing around and gently caress up the paint.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

vanilla slimfast posted:

A good friend of mine just recently started his own shop in SF

https://www.facebook.com/MotorArzt
http://www.motorarzt.com/

Does he also work on TDI's specifically or is he a generalized mechanic? We have "TDI mechanics" around here but they don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground. One thought I had a fuel pump issue, I politely said I didn't think it was going to work out and left the shop.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

keykey posted:

Does he also work on TDI's specifically or is he a generalized mechanic? We have "TDI mechanics" around here but they don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground. One thought I had a fuel pump issue, I politely said I didn't think it was going to work out and left the shop.

Not sure, to be honest. I would call him and ask.

Disclaimer: I've never actually had him work on any of my cars, since he lives in a different state. But I've used him several times for second opinions via phone/text when getting work done locally.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Just heard back from the shop, they realigned it and found a bad vac hose which was causing the camshaft adjuster error.

Time to go pick it up :ohdear:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ask for the alignment spec printout

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

Just heard back from the shop, they realigned it and found a bad vac hose which was causing the camshaft adjuster error.

Time to go pick it up :ohdear:

Camshaft adjustment isn't controlled by a vac supply. Sounds like someone forgot to plug the cam adjuster solenoid back in or it's got some filings in it - happens once in a while.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

movax posted:

My dedudctible is not terrible, I was just more curious how much this would run me if I wanted to avoid making a claim and do it all out of pocket. I don't know how many B7 A4 Dolphin Grey passenger-side mirror assemblies would be in decent condition at a junkyard in Michigan.

I only mention the colour because I can't paint for poo poo, and I bet it would be pricey to get it done.

With new OEM parts, likely around $400 with paint. It should take an hour or so to do.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

With new OEM parts, likely around $400 with paint. It should take an hour or so to do.

Seriously? Shop quoted like $1700 or so. Maybe I'll just do it myself; what source for the parts?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

my1999gsr posted:

Camshaft adjustment isn't controlled by a vac supply. Sounds like someone forgot to plug the cam adjuster solenoid back in or it's got some filings in it - happens once in a while.

The guy who tried to explain it to me was with the body shop and not the VW dealer that actually fixed it, so I'm guessing that they fixed the plug and just fixed a vac line while they were at it.

Either way, the car is driving much better than when I picked it up yesterday. Handling right, drives straight, no CEL. :neckbeard:

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

movax posted:

Seriously? Shop quoted like $1700 or so. Maybe I'll just do it myself; what source for the parts?

Interesting. I'll ask my parts guys for a more accurate price but that sounds a little steep.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Quick question - I have an MKV GTI (2007) and lately it's having a few minor issues that might be related. One is that it has a very small oil leak- about one drop on the garage floor every couple days. Two - when accelerating such as passing someone, I get a puff of visible exhaust, gray. Three - when taking off from stop signs etc, it seems to be a bit "jerky" and not smooth acceleration. It used to accelerate pretty smoothly from a stop. Could these be related and what is causing them? Car is a DSG transmission and has 29k miles. Thanks.

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!

my1999gsr posted:

Interesting. I'll ask my parts guys for a more accurate price but that sounds a little steep.

I got a $900 quote for a new drivers side heated mirror, and repairing some body damage on the door and fender on my Golf TDI yesterday, so that does seem pretty high.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

beejay posted:

Quick question - I have an MKV GTI (2007) and lately it's having a few minor issues that might be related. One is that it has a very small oil leak- about one drop on the garage floor every couple days. Two - when accelerating such as passing someone, I get a puff of visible exhaust, gray. Three - when taking off from stop signs etc, it seems to be a bit "jerky" and not smooth acceleration. It used to accelerate pretty smoothly from a stop. Could these be related and what is causing them? Car is a DSG transmission and has 29k miles. Thanks.

Oil leak could be drat near anything, only way to pinpoint that is to get under it and clean everything really well, then check it again until you find it. When I had a mystery leak it turned out to be the oil pressure sending unit. It had a crack in it that made for a very small drip here and there until it finally let loose and dumped pretty much the entirety of the oil pan on the road, as I was pulling into a car show no less. The puff of smoke likely indicates some oil blow by, which if I recall, the 2.0t is pretty well known for burning oil. How often do you need to top off the oil?

The car jerking, is this only when it's cold? all the time? same rpms? Need a little more info on that. Hesitation could be any number of things. Now that I think about it, didn't the 2.0t also have coil pack issues? Or was that just on the 1.8t.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It does the "rough" acceleration in any temperature and at any level of the engine being warm. I know this isn't a great description of the problem. It's just like, I used to be able to press a little on the gas and just take off nice and smooth, now when I first start pressing the gas, not much happens, then I get to a certain point and it takes off all of a sudden. It's just a thing where I got really used to the way it drove for 4+ years and all of a sudden it's different. I read somewhere that it could be a dirty air filter or MAF sensor.

I have to top off the oil somewhat often, it definitely burns oil and always has. It's within "spec" according to the manual.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

beejay posted:

It does the "rough" acceleration in any temperature and at any level of the engine being warm. I know this isn't a great description of the problem. It's just like, I used to be able to press a little on the gas and just take off nice and smooth, now when I first start pressing the gas, not much happens, then I get to a certain point and it takes off all of a sudden. It's just a thing where I got really used to the way it drove for 4+ years and all of a sudden it's different. I read somewhere that it could be a dirty air filter or MAF sensor.

I have to top off the oil somewhat often, it definitely burns oil and always has. It's within "spec" according to the manual.

My old 95 2.slow did that. Never did figure out what the cause was. Does the rough acceleration happen at full throttle or just partial throttle. If it's only at partial throttle I'd lean towards a bad MAF or possibly a coil pack. Has it thrown any codes?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Only partial throttle I believe but I'll have to test again. I haven't had any lights or warnings. I don't have anything to read the codes, but would it have any if it hadn't shown a light?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

beejay posted:

I dont know much about the oil leak but I had a very similar problem with the jerkiness of the car.

I have an 08 DSG GTI and I thought the jerking was "normal". But according to the forums I've read it should be more or less smooth. It happens on and off and it's very hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Example: I would be on a flat road and when I release my brake the car would "shutter". If I'm reversing without pushing on the gas it would shutter even harder

To make things short, I brought my car to the dealership and they said it was a faulty DSG. Something about the computer chip not doing something correctly. Anyway, they ordered the part and replaced it for free.

Note: It did me about two trips and explaining it to them a few times before they looked into it.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Was the free replacement under warranty or were they just being nice? I was under the impression anything to do with the DSG was super expensive so that worries me!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

obi_ant posted:

I dont know much about the oil leak but I had a very similar problem with the jerkiness of the car.

I have an 08 DSG GTI and I thought the jerking was "normal". But according to the forums I've read it should be more or less smooth. It happens on and off and it's very hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Example: I would be on a flat road and when I release my brake the car would "shutter". If I'm reversing without pushing on the gas it would shutter even harder

To make things short, I brought my car to the dealership and they said it was a faulty DSG. Something about the computer chip not doing something correctly. Anyway, they ordered the part and replaced it for free.

Note: It did me about two trips and explaining it to them a few times before they looked into it.

There were issues with the mechatronic unit in some of the older DSG trannies. That's most likely what the issue was.

Partial throttle hesitation could be the MAF, because at wide open throttle it pretty much doesn't check the MAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

beejay posted:

Was the free replacement under warranty or were they just being nice? I was under the impression anything to do with the DSG was super expensive so that worries me!

It was under the warranty for me. Like veedubfreak mentioned it was that malfunctioning unit and it was pretty common for our DSGs I think. Call up the dealer and ask if they cover it, they should and I would be surprised if they didn't.