Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

The owner of the place I DJ at gave me a broken DJM 500 - It doesn't accept input on any channel and the VUs don't light up.
Anything obvious I should look for if I decide to open it up? Otherwise it's going on eBay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

vas0line posted:

The owner of the place I DJ at gave me a broken DJM 500 - It doesn't accept input on any channel and the VUs don't light up.
Anything obvious I should look for if I decide to open it up? Otherwise it's going on eBay.

I would scrap it, honestly. The DJM 500 is not a very good mixer compared to anything modern, and a broken one even less so

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I played my first set last night for a group of high school kids. Overall I think most of it went great, just a few sloppy bits. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to research how to record it, but I was crunching just to construct the set. I've only been learning for 3 weeks. Here are a few notes/things I learned from it.

-Less than 20% of the set was top 40 songs, but everyone danced to most of it anyway. Some of the most well received jams were the obscure, experimental and instrumental tracks that I mixed together, so that felt really good.
-I'm still inexperienced so I decided not to take requests and just stick to the setlist, but even that had some holes in it, so some of it was improvised. It all went swimmingly.
-There was however one embarrassing moment that although was well practiced, ended in disaster; a sad display for everyone there. It was the dreaded switch from 85bpm to 130bpm, sync was turned off, everything was cued up, and I made the chop over to the left track at just the right time. I started dancing because switching tempo is tough but I found just the right track with just the right drop and oh man after all that practicing the payoff sounds great! It wasn't for several seconds until I noticed everyone staring at me and asking what happened. ...The volume on the left deck was all the way down. I flicked it back up and hung my head in shame. If that track wasn't particularly bitchin' I don't think the crowd would have forgiven me.
-There was no alcohol there, but high schoolers can get positively nasty on the dance floor. I felt dirty facilitating it.
-In the DJ Mixes megathread SA goon 'Tracer Bullet' posted supplemental tracks to go with his mixes. I admittedly jacked some (all) of them to augment my own collection. I soon learned that these tracks were missing intros and outros, and sometimes mixed with each other. So the consequence was that I had to get creative with harmonic mixing, and it payed off. Thanks Tracer, your tracks helped me learn, and find my footing with finding good music by good artists (the Beatport song index is a frightening, wild frontier)
-This was my first time mixing with unrestrained volume, and I think I got the nack of mastering, however I'm finding the equalizer on the Kontrol S2 to be imprecise.
-Does it Offend You, Yeah? is not good dance music, but it was requested in advance by the hostess. It is also an example of a track that sounds worse when people are mingling and yelling over it.
-People gave me comments on how they couldn't tell when one track ended and another one began, so mission accomplished. B-)
-Before I was set up they asked me to play something random to dance to, so I played the Levels Set from this thread. It was surprisingly well received. I laughed when once guy showed up late and requested Levels.
-I didn't plan an ending so I just let the last track fade out and then asked for a request. I ended the night with Single Ladies.

Tracklist:

quote:

Modeselektor - Happy Birthday
Teddyloyde - Cherryboy Riot Pt. 2
Never Will Be Mine (R3hab Remix)
Walden Vs Lights - Brightness Breaks Glass (Hyperbits Bootleg)
David Guetta ft Usher - Without You
Stardust - Music Sounds Better with You
Grouplove - Tounge Tied (Gilgamesh Remix)
Frenssu - Candy Mountain
Tradelove - Pum Back (Original Mix)
Umek vs Bass Kelph - Pitch Machine (PATT & Bertelli Bootleg)
Axwell vs Fede Le Grand vs Illegal Beat - Resurrect a Different Paradise (PATT & Bertelli Bootleg)
Ester Dean ft Chris Brown - Drop it Low
Big Sean ft Nicki Minaj - Dance (rear end)
Rihanna ft Chris Brown - Birthday Cake
The Bloody Beetroots ft Steve Aoki- Warp 1.9 <-This was the trainwreck
Gareth Emery - Tokyo (Ben Gold Remix)
Ivan Gough & Feenixpawl ft Georgi Kay - In My Mind (ROYAAL Remix)
Muse - Map of the Problematique (Does it Offend You, Yeah? Remix)
Firepower vs La Roux - In for the Kill (Wolfgang Gartner Remix)
Katy Perry - Last Friday Night
Hypercrush - Werk Me
Felix Cartal - Tripple Deke
Hataris - Spaced Invader (JFK $ St Mandrew Remix)
Green Velvet - La La Land (Pleasurekraft Remix)
Above and Beyonce - Diva (Karmatronic Club Remix)
R3hab - Chainsaw Showers
Skindive Inc. - Fly Away Now
Porcelain Black &Lil' Wayne - Rock n Roll (R3hab's Remix)
Modeselektor - Godspeed
Beyonce - Run the World (Girls)
Flosstradamus - Total Recall
[silence]
and of course...
Beyonce - All the Single Ladies
Man, if only I had known that recording through Traktor 2 Pro was as easy as 2 clicks...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nice work, all in all it seemingly went really well... Certainly beats my first time out playing to an empty room with a sideroom full of people talking and the rest of the people who knew me crowding the 'booth'. Pretty much just played for myself that evening.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Just did my first gig with the Twitch. Went pretty well, other than for some reason the sound guy and I not being able to wrangle any audio from the mic input (I later went home and figured this out on my own and it was pretty simple, ah well.) I played a few current top-40 things and then mainly 80s/90s hits (I was told to keep it pretty mainstream and high energy.) Also, it was for a tater-tot eating contest at a bar. I hope to do more gigs there, as the male:female ratio was quite nice:

It was a pretty good low-pressure situation to sort of do some learning while getting paid.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Dude came up to the booth during my regular/terrible top 40 gig on Friday, I gave him my card and he sent me this the next day:

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Start selling your lovely top40 sets, pitch it as some sort of sex advice.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shovelbearer posted:

I hope to do more gigs there, as the male:female ratio was quite nice:
Something Awful DJ thread exclusive: Bitches love tater tots.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I'm not really into controllers, but I just had an idea for a product that someone like me would use: A CDJ-like controller without the CD player inside. Just the jog wheel and all the various buttons/knobs. It would connect to your computer via USB and you could use a cat5 to daisy chain any others.

So yeah, basically a CDJ sans CD playing capabilities, and at a lower price point. Maybe there could be a more expensive version that could have a simple 2 channel audio interface and took USB drives for usage without a computer.

Does something like this exist that is of the same quality of a CDJ-1000? It would enable a DJ to use whatever mixer they want and would be slightly more portable than a big rear end controller or CD deck.

If a Pioneer/Denon/Rane person is reading this you can mail me a check for the idea, thanks.

edit: It appears I just described a Denon DN-SC2000 if it had a slightly larger jog wheel. :shrug:

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 12, 2012

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

vas0line posted:

I'm not really into controllers, but I just had an idea for a product that someone like me would use: A CDJ-like controller without the CD player inside. Just the jog wheel and all the various buttons/knobs. It would connect to your computer via USB and you could use a cat5 to daisy chain any others.

So yeah, basically a CDJ sans CD playing capabilities, and at a lower price point. Maybe there could be a more expensive version that could have a simple 2 channel audio interface and took USB drives for usage without a computer.

Does something like this exist that is of the same quality of a CDJ-1000? It would enable a DJ to use whatever mixer they want and would be slightly more portable than a big rear end controller or CD deck.

If a Pioneer/Denon/Rane person is reading this you can mail me a check for the idea, thanks.

Well, if you look at the photo I posted a few posts back... that's the Novation Twitch. Does it look far off from what you're describing? It has touch strips instead of jog-wheels but they have a really nice feel.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
There's always this thing by Numark, the V7

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Or the just-announced Denon SC2900. The jogs aren't motorized but they're big like a CDJ and it supports USB drives and has native Traktor support.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Pen Expers posted:

That looks pretty cool. It's like a mashup between a CDJ and a turntable.
Numark says it has the same motor as a TTX, which was great. Love the knobs and stuff.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

qirex posted:

Or the just-announced Denon SC2900. The jogs aren't motorized but they're big like a CDJ and it supports USB drives and has native Traktor support.

CDJ jog wheels aren't motorized :ssh:

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Pen Expers posted:

Speaking of which, I plan to make become a big boy here in the near future and want to make the upgrade from my lovely controller (Numark Mixtrack) to a real mixer. I plan on getting a V7, but I am a little lost as to what I should pick up for a mixer. I have kind of been eyeing Numark's models, the X5,X6, and X9, but wouldn't know what to pick exactly. I am open to more than Numark stuff, it's just all I have really looked at.

I guess I don't really know the benefits of a 4-channel mixer over a 2-channel, other than mixing 4 tracks at a time instead of 2. Maybe someone could explain that to me, otherwise a 2 channel mixer really looks like what I want. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Speaking of which, I plan to make become a big boy here in the near future and want to make the upgrade from my lovely controller (Numark Mixtrack) to a real mixer. I plan on getting a V7, but I am a little lost as to what I should pick up for a mixer. I have kind of been eyeing Numark's models, the X5,X6, and X9, but wouldn't know what to pick exactly. I am open to more than Numark stuff, it's just all I have really looked at.

I guess I don't really know the benefits of a 4-channel mixer over a 2-channel, other than mixing 4 tracks at a time instead of 2. Maybe someone could explain that to me, otherwise a 2 channel mixer really looks like what I want. Any suggestions would be awesome.

I'm pretty happy with the Allen & Heath Xone:22.. good solid build, nice faders, etc, won't break the bank, simple to use, and if you don't know why you'd need 4 tracks then you probably don't need 4 tracks.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Shovelbearer posted:

I'm pretty happy with the Allen & Heath Xone:22.. good solid build, nice faders, etc, won't break the bank, simple to use, and if you don't know why you'd need 4 tracks then you probably don't need 4 tracks.

Seconding this, I love my :22. Perfect 2-channel mixer without too much extra gubbins, plus some nice filters. Plus I just love using A&H mixers, they're designed really well.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

fordan posted:

A DJ on another forum I'm on apparently got asked why he didn't include Levels in a megamix he did. So he did a new mix, here's the track list:

Seinfeld - I'm Building Levels
Levels Avicii
Calling vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Sebastien Ingrosso Ft. Alesso
Good Levels Feeling (Massivedrum vs ''sickindividuals Remix'' Bootleg) Flo-Rida vs Avicii
Levels ( US DRM Edit ) Avicii/www.djrobsonmichel.com
Levels (Alex Ramos 2012 Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Allan Abdalla Remix 2012) Avicii
Levels Right On Time (Bkg Bootleg) Avicii vs. Syndicate Of Law
Avicii - Levels (Saradis Christmas Feeling Edit) Avicii
Levels (Sergi Moreno & Sack Muller Remix) Avicii
Levels Trackster (Rave Radio Bootleg) Avicii vs Miles Dyson
Best Of Levels (David Puentez Mash Bootique 2012) Avicii
Levels (John von Wh1te Mashup) Peter Luts vs. Avicii
Drifting Levels (Rudedog vs Felix Leiter Bootleg) Avicii vs Rudedog
DYNAMITE LEVELS (((POWER HOUR MASH-MIX))) Taio Cruz/Avicii/DJ DEVILLE
Hello Loca Levels vs. Lunar (Andrew G Monster Mashup) Avicii vs. D. Guetta & Afrojack vs. Sak Noel
Flash Levels (Marco Zanfardino 2012 ReDUB) Avicii & Clockwork vs Green Velvet & Nicky Romero vs A.M.R
Good Feeling (Levels Version) (Dark Intensity Remix) Flo Rida feat. Avicii
Good Feelin' Levels (Cloud Epic Rework Mashup) Avicii vs Flo Rida
Levels (Blaster & Smyle Remix) Avicii
Levels (Danilo Costa Instrumental Cover Edit) Avicii
Levels (Dirty Freek Remix) Avicii
I Just Wanna gently caress vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Avicii & Baltimore Club
Levels (Exclusive House Rework) DJ BeatBreaker / DJMAKJ / Avicii
Levels (Felix Leiter's Digital Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Funk D Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Good Feeling) (Gordon & Doyle Mashup) Avicii feat. Flo Rida
Levels (Hardwell Next Levels Bootleg) Avicii
Stereo Levels ( Chuckie Mash Up DRM ) Avicii
Sunshine Levels (Sndrz Bootleg) Avicii & David Guetta
Super Bass (Delirious Levels Mix) Clean DJ Delirious
Levels (Jao Miranda Version) Avicii
Levels (Jason Alamo Best Of Bootleg) Avicii, Hardwell, Skrillex, Cazzette, Clockwork
Levels (Kingz Dutch Anthem) Anthem Kingz
DWhere Them Levels At (Djs From Mars Mashup) David Guetta vs. Avicii
Levels (Matt Cox Remix) Aviici
Levels (Melody Crew Remix Edit) Avicii
Levels (Olav Basoski's Sunday Morning Mix) Avicii
Levels (Phillipe Boulevard Remix) Avicii Ft. Etta James
Levels (Rafa Carneiro Boom Edit 2012) Avicii
Levels (The Moogs Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tocadisco Mix) Avicii
Levels vs Levels 'clockwork Remix' (Del Pello Mashup) Avicii vs Etta Jones
Next Levels (TheFatRat Remix) Avicii
Show Me Levels (Michael B. & Denny Delano Bootleg) Steve Angello vs. Avicii
Give Me All Your Levels (Toy Armada Da Vicii Mash Up) Madonna vs. Avicii
Levels (E-Thunder Private) Avicii
Levels (Marlo Bootleg Remix) Avicii
Levels (Inexus Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tyr Remix) Avicii
Levels (Skrillex Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tiagoleiria 88bpm Remix) Avicii

Can't stop loving laughing.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

mitztronic posted:

You cant drop something this amazing without a link

http://youtu.be/LkERt-geXfg

france is loving weird

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=ocjsJLfAG5M#/492;493

awkward white people always ruin a good party

oredun posted:

it sounds like a plot out of some cartoon or something.

i mean thats not really a law right? "no turntables after 11 OR WERRR TAKIN YOU TOO JAIL!"

its like the setup for a 90s music video

Longtiem fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 13, 2012

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Longtiem posted:

its like the setup for a 90s music video

Could have been the premise for "Cool As Ice" starring Vanilla Ice. Instead it was about a broken down motorcycle and some mob stuff (?)

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Longtiem posted:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=ocjsJLfAG5M#/492;493

awkward white people always ruin a good party

Chrissy Murderbot = king of awkward white people.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

Anae posted:

Seconding this, I love my :22. Perfect 2-channel mixer without too much extra gubbins, plus some nice filters. Plus I just love using A&H mixers, they're designed really well.

Well after 2 reviews, I will definitely have to look into this. Anyone else have suggestions?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

A&H makes solid gear, and are a great investment. My 62 is going strong almost 10 years now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know turntablism isn't everyone's cup of tea but this poo poo is bananas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoyaJR-QnSU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

qirex posted:

I know turntablism isn't everyone's cup of tea but this poo poo is bananas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoyaJR-QnSU

I see you're on the Serato mailing list too

Mixmaster Mike owns owns owns

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Shovelbearer posted:

It was a pretty good low-pressure situation to sort of do some learning while getting paid.

Get a stand dude, someone is going to spill a beer into your laptop.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Old Man Pants posted:

Get a stand dude, someone is going to spill a beer into your laptop.

Probably a good idea, but that was actually a single small table in an area without much foot traffic

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, but still. I have an uberstand, a very worthwhile investment

http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&browser=&src=stanton+uberstand

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Shovelbearer posted:

Probably a good idea, but that was actually a single small table in an area without much foot traffic

What he's trying to say is it'll be you spilling beer onto your own laptop eventually.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

^ That one rules. It folds flat and fits anywhere, and is solid once you set it up properly.

This one, however, sucks if you plan on moving it anywhere on a regular basis. It's like a goddamn erector set:
http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-LSTAND-L-Stand-Laptop-Clamps/dp/B000KHPJIQ

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Also the best $30 I ever spent (or had someone spend on me) was one of these guys: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=40

It's a soft silicone based cover and keeps poo poo out of your keyboard. They apparently only make them for Macs but they offer Ableton and Traktor versions.

edit:

I have an uberstand, it works pretty well but is starting to show it's age. I'll probably get one of the "Crane" stands eventually. My buddy uses one and it's pretty easy to set up: http://www.thecranestand.com/

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 15, 2012

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

TheWevel posted:

Also the best $30 I ever spent (or had someone spend on me) was one of these guys: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=40

It's a soft silicone based cover and keeps poo poo out of your keyboard. They apparently only make them for Macs but they offer Ableton and Traktor versions.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that these were bad because they blocked some of the natural airflow that comes in through the keyboard for cooling the internals of the laptop. Or am I wrong about that?

TheWevel posted:

I have an uberstand, it works pretty well but is starting to show it's age. I'll probably get one of the "Crane" stands eventually. My buddy uses one and it's pretty easy to set up: http://www.thecranestand.com/

I want one of these now. Thanks, jerk

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 15, 2012

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

TheWevel posted:

I have been drooling over these since they came out. My uberstand has worked well for a long time, but it isnt as rock solid as those cranes.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I don't know about the temperature thing but the cover has definitely saved my rear end a few times with rowdy drunk girls. I used the same one for about 2 years on my 13" MBP and now that I started doing video, it's moved to my 15" MBP and I haven't noticed any weirdness. Of course the fans are on a full speed when I'm doing video but I kind of expected that.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Looked a bit and didn't find a better place to ask: I need headphones. I had an okay pair of Shures that just poo poo out on me out of nowhere (left headphone suddenly quit working), and I am in the market for a new pair. I only spent about 40-45ish for the Shures that I got an Ebay. This team, I have a little more funding and would be willing to spend in the 70-80 dollar range.

The thing to take into consideration is that I also use these headphones for just listening to music and whatnot with my iPod and laptop. Any suggestions?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Sennheiser HD-280s. They should be about 70-80 bucks. They're also more for monitoring, but they work well as DJ headphones and should work for a while provided you don't treat your headphones like crap.

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

keevo posted:

Sennheiser HD-280s. They should be about 70-80 bucks. They're also more for monitoring, but they work well as DJ headphones and should work for a while provided you don't treat your headphones like crap.

Reading up on these a bit and these sound like a pretty good buy and definitely in my price range. My problem is that the first review on Amazon is saying they aren't made for people with large heads in mind. I will admit that my head is a step up from average, so while I can't imagine I would have that much of a problem, I still have to wonder. Any feedback on that?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I wouldn't know. My head is average.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Reading up on these a bit and these sound like a pretty good buy and definitely in my price range. My problem is that the first review on Amazon is saying they aren't made for people with large heads in mind. I will admit that my head is a step up from average, so while I can't imagine I would have that much of a problem, I still have to wonder. Any feedback on that?
The 280s are tight on the head. Not exactly "OH GOD THESE HEADPHONES ARE SO TIGHT MY BRAIN CAN'T FUNCTINUIAHGEIUGOIU" but more like they won't fly off your head if you're a particularly energetic DJ. They are tighter than Sony headphones, and all other headphones will feel loose after a while.

Sound quality is fantastic, probably the best at the price point. A little lacking the low end however. They are also quite durable. I recently replaced a pair I used for a little over 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I'm not a DJ and I don't think my head is that big, but I often have trouble listening to headphones for a long time because many models press my glasses into my head and it becomes painful after a while. With the hd-280s, though, the headpiece is extendable, and that takes a lot of pressure off my head and is more comfortable. Extending them out all the way they seem like they should fit someone whose head is wider than my own, though they would of course be tighter than they are on me.