Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

QuarkJets posted:

I want to do some day trading with some extra cash that I have. I can easily put about $5k into this safely (as in it could become $0 and I'd be okay financially, just upset that I lost $5k). Is this dumb? Do you need to start off with a lot of money in order to get anywhere when it comes to day trading? Would I just be wasting my time reading the literature if I didn't start off with a much larger base?

I'm approaching this in the same way as I'd approach gambling; ready to lose whatever I put in and walk away, but also ready to learn the odds before putting down money.

I don't know if you should approach it like that since it might make you take more risk than you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idolmind86
Jun 13, 2003

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

It's even better to work out, numbnuts.
So I was gifted a shitload of DELL a long, long time ago, back in the 90s before the last time it split. Anyway, I've been watching it perform like poo poo and the company not do anything about it until Monday I said gently caress it and I sold all of it, at a significant loss because I honestly thought the company could end up in low single digits at the rate it's been going.

I was tired of holding out for a dividend or a move to go private and if those dickholes didn't announce a dividend the day after I sell it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

I want to do some day trading with some extra cash that I have. I can easily put about $5k into this safely (as in it could become $0 and I'd be okay financially, just upset that I lost $5k). Is this dumb? Do you need to start off with a lot of money in order to get anywhere when it comes to day trading? Would I just be wasting my time reading the literature if I didn't start off with a much larger base?

I'm approaching this in the same way as I'd approach gambling; ready to lose whatever I put in and walk away, but also ready to learn the odds before putting down money.

Your account won't have enough assets to be allowed to daytrade unless you have more cash in it that you are not actively trading.

Can I interest you in option trading if you want some nice risk reward?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Your account won't have enough assets to be allowed to daytrade unless you have more cash in it that you are not actively trading.

Do you just mean that QuarkJets can't do "pattern daytrading," i.e. more than 4 round-trip trades in 5 business days?
I believe any account can buy and sell inside of a day, just not too often, no?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Bloomberg terminals are a HUGE waste of money nowadays. The traders I know who have them are forced to have them from the company they work for and they barely use them.

So what do the traders use for real time informations these days?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Sigh.. my dad has had the unfortunate pleasure of learning how to use the internet, so now every seeking alpha article and penny stock picking/ naked put website is like godsend. It was much easier when it was just all about watching AGNC go up.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Bloomberg terminals are a HUGE waste of money nowadays. The traders I know who have them are forced to have them from the company they work for and they barely use them.

:stare:

Must be some lovely trading firm then. Bloomberg along with FactSet and Datastreaam are pretty much de facto at most legit places.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I want to do some day trading with some extra cash that I have. I can easily put about $5k into this safely (as in it could become $0 and I'd be okay financially, just upset that I lost $5k). Is this dumb? Do you need to start off with a lot of money in order to get anywhere when it comes to day trading?

You need $25,000 to be able to day trade, and you need to ensure that you have enough in the account so that when you inevitably have a few bad days in a row you aren't below the $25k threshold.

I'd aim for $30k+ so that you can lose a bit and potentially have some margin so you can do a larger trade if something takes a huge dip for the day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Can I interest you in option trading if you want some nice risk reward?

You can; I'm reading the options basics on Investopedia right now, have any suggestions in particular?

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Turkeybone posted:

Sigh.. my dad has had the unfortunate pleasure of learning how to use the internet, so now every seeking alpha article and penny stock picking/ naked put website is like godsend. It was much easier when it was just all about watching AGNC go up.

Not every article is bad. He first needs to learn to separate the wheat from the chaff or the news from the noise.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Yeah, it's not so much the Seeking Alpha as it is every stock picking service he wants to try out for a month and just have it be "eh, its only 50 - 100 bucks".

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

shrike82 posted:

Must be some lovely trading firm then. Bloomberg along with FactSet and Datastreaam are pretty much de facto at most legit places.

It's 3k a month for crappy charting and info you can look up for free on Wikipedia.
They are de facto at most places because the firms pay for them. Otherwise, I would stay away.

Shrinkage posted:

So what do the traders use for real time informations these days?

The internet. People aren't restricted to use only Bloomberg or Reuters terminals anymore thank god.

Dreaming Android
Jan 8, 2011

It's 3k a month for crappy charting and info you can look up for free on Wikipedia.
They are de facto at most places because the firms pay for them. Otherwise, I would stay away.

The internet. People aren't restricted to use only Bloomberg or Reuters terminals anymore thank god.

You're kidding, right? Besides the host of information on commodities, it's also pretty handy for fundamental analysis (although S&P's CapitalIQ is good for this), up-to-date pricing information on credit instruments, etc.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Dreaming Android posted:

You're kidding, right? Besides the host of information on commodities, it's also pretty handy for fundamental analysis (although S&P's CapitalIQ is good for this), up-to-date pricing information on credit instruments, etc.

No I'm not. You want to pay that much for the same info you could get anywhere on the internet for free? I could see wanting the wire service but there are ways around that and I've never thought it was worth it.

And there are better charting services to get the latest prices.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah, it's not so much the Seeking Alpha as it is every stock picking service he wants to try out for a month and just have it be "eh, its only 50 - 100 bucks".

Yeah those sites are a mess. One good test on those sites is position disclosure. Does the person disclose his or her positions? Do they include options and warrants? Are they known as promoters?

Check out where their stuff is posted? Do they do any radio shows on quality websites?

Even if they do it should not take the place of doing your own homework.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

NOK cuts 10,000 jobs and 16% off its market cap. It's now worth less than LinkedIn. :stare:

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ola posted:

NOK cuts 10,000 jobs and 16% off its market cap. It's now worth less than LinkedIn. :stare:

I just saw that lol.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
It's almost like it's a terrible company.

Oddly enough, the bid/ask right now is 176,000/177,00.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
It's almost like it's restructuring.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Yeah, my friends company did some restructuring as well.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PNSN

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Cool I have such a friend too:

http://www.google.com/finance?cid=13606

My point being is that NOK has a strong brand, bucketloads of patents etc., and it shouldn't be written off as easily as it is by a lot of people.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
It looks like the big news is really that they're putting (some of?) their patent portfolio up for sale. The rest of today's announcements seem to have been a long time coming. But that bit makes me question my resolve to ride this thing all the way to the bottom. Without that portfolio they are no longer a feasible takeover target, and don't have a clear revenue stream. It's very much a desperate bet-the-company move. Either it gives them enough cash to get the next generation of devices out the door and they hit big, or the company folds.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

My dad watches BNN religiously (here in Canada; not sure what the US equivalent is) so every night he has a new list of Canadian oil/gas companies that are Hot Hot Hot and poised to blow their tar sand load across the TSX.

:pwn:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ola posted:

I don't even know what to think of NOK anymore. Are they hoping to be bought?

edit: iPhone 5 is coming "soon" and that can't be good for NOK

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 14, 2012

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

TUBALLINATOR posted:

My point being is that NOK has a strong brand, bucketloads of patents etc., and it shouldn't be written off as easily as it is by a lot of people.

They don't have a strong brand, they're selling off their patents, and the only positive thing you hear about them is maybe they'll be bought out.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

AGNC :allears:

Also my FB seems to have been a nice pickup, though I really don't even know what to do with it heh. It was just 100 shares so whatevs.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

quote:

They don't have a strong brand
They most definitely do. Maybe not in the states, but Nokia is still very much a known and strong brand around the world

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Harry posted:

They don't have a strong brand, they're selling off their patents, and the only positive thing you hear about them is maybe they'll be bought out.
I thought it was confirmed that they opened their books up to Microsoft a while ago and that recently MS said "nope, not interested." They seemed to be the prime suspect in who would take over NOK, but I haven't heard anything strong about anyone else who would be interested.

Also I think they're about to sell off their super high-end phone business (the bedazzled 6 figure cell phones they sell to royalty and the like).

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

TUBALLINATOR posted:

They most definitely do. Maybe not in the states, but Nokia is still very much a known and strong brand around the world

Their market share has been dropping in pretty much every market in the ME/Africa, they're starting to lose out on their non smart phone divison, and they're taking on massive restructuring costs to go head to head against Apple and Samsung.

Combine this with the massive layoff of workers and management along with their "it's actually going to be worse than we thought" correction to the Q2 results, I doubt their market share is rebounding.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TUBALLINATOR posted:

Yes it should.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nokia used to be a hot brand. Their failure to deliver cool smartphones has ruined that. "The third world needs their dumbphones" is just wrong, low income users might make do with dumbphones but they want iPhones and Galaxys and shiny swirly touchy things.

If Microsoft doesn't want them, I don't know who does. Selling their patents might be one way to soften the final blow for the shareholders, because after all that's pretty much all they have at this point. But if Microsoft wants to sell mobile OSes, whose hardware will it otherwise be on?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
So with all the uncertainty going into the weekend, surprised the VIX is so low...

Hope you guys got into NOK at a good price. Hope it wasn't $40...

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 14, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If there was a 0% chance NOK would be bought, would you still invest?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I'm still a believer in NOK resurrecting itself as a smaller but significant player long term, but I decided to bow to 'the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent' axiom a couple of weeks ago and got out down around 35%. Pretty much wrecked my returns for the past 12 months, but I had some good plays elsewhere that offset it somewhat. After todays washout, I'll probably watch it for a couple of weeks and if it keeps going down take a 'ride it to zero or $10' position.

PRADA SLUT posted:

If there was a 0% chance NOK would be bought, would you still invest?

I think there's very close to 0 chance of them being bought, ,but there will definitely be significant divestitures. And yes, I would. It's really nothing but a lottery ticket with better than lottery ticket odds- it's purely a speculative play at this point. Their execution over the past 6 months has been impressively incompetent.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

greasyhands posted:

I'm still a believer in NOK resurrecting itself as a smaller but significant player long term, but I decided to bow to 'the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent' axiom a couple of weeks ago and got out down around 35%. Pretty much wrecked my returns for the past 12 months, but I had some good plays elsewhere that offset it somewhat. After todays washout, I'll probably watch it for a couple of weeks and if it keeps going down take a 'ride it to zero or $10' position.

I think there's very close to 0 chance of them being bought, ,but there will definitely be significant divestitures. And yes, I would. It's really nothing but a lottery ticket with better than lottery ticket odds- it's purely a speculative play at this point. Their execution over the past 6 months has been impressively incompetent.

Even if the market comes back Nokia is going to have to show something on the level of an iPhone with the next product release.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

greasyhands posted:

I'm still a believer in NOK resurrecting itself as a smaller but significant player long term
Why? What have they done that has shown they can pull this off?

evilwaldo posted:

Even if the market comes back Nokia is going to have to show something on the level of an iPhone with the next product release.
If they only have something on the same level, they won't get sales. A lot of places reviewed the current Lumia line pretty well, but Apple/Android outsell them by a couple orders of magnitude. Why would you buy a phone with an unproven OS from a company most famous for their "candy bar" phones when you could grab a Galaxy S3, iPhone 4, or HTC One? You wouldn't, and that's why Nokia has yet again lowered their forecast.

They'd need to show something far and away better than anything Samsung, HTC, or Apple has to offer AND they need to somehow out-market everyone since Android and iOS have such a foothold. Even then, they'll likely barely chip off more than a sliver of total sales.

They're doomed, IMO.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Why? What have they done that has shown they can pull this off?

I just remember when they lost a ton of market share because they ignored the clamshell fad, it wasn't as bad as this but it was a similar situation.

Realizing they still sell more cell phones than anyone else except Samsung and have very valuable brand recognition (yes, still). They have an unmatched global distribution network and can push products into the global market much faster than everyone else.

Realizing the smartphone market is far from mature and both leading platforms are very problematic- carriers hate the Apple sales model and Android is a fragmented wreck that no one wants to develop for- which leaves an opening for the most powerful software company on the planet to wedge their way in by pure force (Microsoft, if anyone somehow doesn't follow) with a platform that has admittedly been slow to catch on but is definitely a nice platform and a pretty intelligently designed middle-ground between the android and iphone models. AT&T is just beginning its windows phone push and Verizon has said it's going to push just as hard once windows 8 comes out- this simply can't be ignored. People are looking for market share miracles with Windows Phone, which I think is wrongheaded. AT&T only sells like 5-9 million smartphones a quarter (9 last 4th quarter and 5 in the 1st Q of 2012), and something liek 70-80% of them are iphones, so somehow expecting the 900 to come out of the gate selling millions is just silly. There are reports that it is outselling the iphone4, and most channel checks have it as the 2nd best selling smartphone at AT&T stores. http://wmpoweruser.com/analyst-channel-checks-find-nokia-lumia-900-outselling-the-htc-one-x/

I know people laugh at the 'Windows 8 is going to be the real deal' line, and it's somewhat fair to do that, because Windows phone 7 was rushed out and is based on a very old platform and has limitations that were very clearly idiotic/lazy/whatever to have in a modern phone OS but Windows 8 is going to fix most, if not all, of these. People, as usual, try to simplify the argument into black and white terms, but the fact is, windows phone 7 was a seriously lacking OS with seriously lacking carrier and devicemaker support, but it is showing a little bit of traction with Nokia behind it and windows 8 looks to be much improved by all parties involved- device makers, carrier support, and Microsoft finally coming around and 'getting it'.

Nokia-Siemens network, which is generally completely ignored when talking about NOK valuation for whatever reason, despite being enormous, has recently won several large contracts and is on its way to being cash flow positive.

Patents, Patents, Patents, and Patents. The exact numbers aren't disclosed, but NOK gets something like $5 for every iphone sold. Once they downsize and get costs under control, they have the potential to be an enormous cash cow. They are getting more aggressive with their patent litigation, which as a consumer I don't like but as an investor I have to appreciate the potential revenue.

None of these things are 'givens' but they are all relevant and true and make me believe NOK has a significantly better chance than 0 to revive itself and its current price is a bankruptcy price. Like I said, it's a gamble but when you sit down and look at all the possibilities, its a gamble I want to take. I've been very wrong about the valuation so far, but that isn't surprising as its nearly impossible to catch bottoms in situations like this.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 16, 2012

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Dear MSFT, I am glad you make shitballs of money, but that doesn't mean you should blow it on buying fancy companies for yourself. You should save it for a rainy day.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
How do premiums paid for calls or puts work, tax-wise? If someone purchases a call or put and they end up expiring without being exercised do they even play a part come tax time?

Same for premiums received. If someone sells a call or put and it is never assigned, what kind of income is the premium reported as?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Eh I'm not touching NOK since I'm in ALU right now. Bought at $2, down to 1.56 now but I plan on holding it for a while.

Also going to buy GM on Monday.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 17, 2012