Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://lifehacker.com/5916593/forget-android-the-iphone-is-a-better-phone-for-hacking-tweaking-and-customization

Apparently, there's claims that customizing an iPhone is better and easier than an Android phone.

Personally, I don't agree with it due to one-click rooting (despite XDA claiming that's too easy). I've jailbroken my iPod many times and there just aren't the same apps or customizations you can get from Android's rooting or just by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Re: G2/Vision. I have a T-Mo variant.

Slopehead posted:

One V ports are still kinda crappy and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.
Aww, that sucks. :( Any particular reason why? I'm curious, I was under the assumption that the core SoC is the same. Camera, wifi, etc. drivers are different and thus don't work? I'm pretty eager to get ICS on my G2, should I just be considering a new phone?

deong posted:

CM9 for g2 is garbage in my eyes.
I had poo poo battery, and tons of apps would give me the close don't close error. It really is just too much for the g2.
I hope they eventually fix it up, but man, it sure is taking a long time. :/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5916593/forget-android-the-iphone-is-a-better-phone-for-hacking-tweaking-and-customization

Apparently, there's claims that customizing an iPhone is better and easier than an Android phone.

Personally, I don't agree with it due to one-click rooting (despite XDA claiming that's too easy). I've jailbroken my iPod many times and there just aren't the same apps or customizations you can get from Android's rooting or just by default.

Not to mention that you don't have to root and android phone to do the kind of customization that most people would want to do.

You only really need root for wifi tethering, titanium backup, and sort of for rom hacking.

On the iPhone you need to jail break to run any software that is not apple approved.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LiquidRain posted:

Re: G2/Vision. I have a T-Mo variant.

Aww, that sucks. :( Any particular reason why? I'm curious, I was under the assumption that the core SoC is the same. Camera, wifi, etc. drivers are different and thus don't work? I'm pretty eager to get ICS on my G2, should I just be considering a new phone?

I hope they eventually fix it up, but man, it sure is taking a long time. :/

ICS just seems to be too heavy for the G2. I think everything works on it at this point (that I can recall/matters to me), but I had issues of it constantly waiting for programs. It was a nice experience fresh out of a reboot though. With news of Linaro, there may be hope though?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Is it the same experience on a One V? No reviews make mention of it. (though I had those issues on my G2 as well) Makes me wonder what the real difference is.

vvvv Ahh, a closer sibling of the G2 is getting ICS? Okay. :) I also don't really want to buy a new phone - mine works fine except for a broken light sensor (perma-jammed at 219 lumens for some reason) and the occasional hiccups. I am simply envious of the performance of all my friends' GNexes. :p I'll go back to waiting.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 13, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Because there aren't drivers out and there are some proprietary tweaks for ICS on the One V that are hardware specific. Simultaneous video and photo comes to mind. If your phone is currently operating fine and nothing is broken, then no don't get a new phone. Just wait until the Desire HD ICS rom is out in a month or two. If there is a favorable god, then that kernel will have all the stuff we need to fix many of the major issues still found in ICS.

Interestingly the DHD and One V actually have the same SoC so you're correct on that count so I'm really not sure why it isn't easier to get the drivers we need off of that particular SoC. That'd be a technical answer for Excessblarg, I would think.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Has there been any word on then the Desire HD update is going to be ready aside from the "later this year" we got back in February?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Rooted my fire yesterday and couldn't get the Google market to work so I ICS'd it this morning.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Has there been any word on then the Desire HD update is going to be ready aside from the "later this year" we got back in February?

July - August is the expected timeline from HTC.

HTC timeline source

Not to long now...not to long... Sitting tight is hard I know but your patience will be rewarded.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I decided to re-flash a new ROM on my phone 'cause I needed a little more excitement in my life, so I backed everything up with Titanium and flashed AOKP. I also flashed Gapps as you do.

After a Titanium restore, all the Google Apps are missing :confused: . I thought that's why I flashed Gapps. I tried flashing Gapps a few more times, with signature verification or that script toggle on and off in every permutation. Each time it says it's successful, but I'm still missing every Google stock app (Except the store) after the restart.

I've installed all that were on the market, but some Google apps weren't on the market. They are Music, Calendar and Email. Can I get them back while keeping AOKP? It's a snappy ROM, I'd be sad to lose it.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 16, 2012

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

WebDO posted:

I need some input from you guys since you are experts and I am an idiot about this stuff still.

I have a VZW GNex in my worry free guarantee window. I went into it knowing some of them had poo poo signal issues with 4.0.2 and experienced these issues. After 4.0.4 was finally released, I still had significant call dropping and data service loss. To the tune of 24% of my battery life was spent without any mobile network whatsoever. I'm 3 phones and 3 sims deep at this point with an outstanding NRB ticket because there apparently were some quirky things going on within the VZW backend.

After my NRB ticket is finished, if I am still having lovely signal, is there a chance that going to a non-stock ROM could fix this? I -do- want to unlock/root and like a lot of what CM9 offers, but I want to wait until VZW is done tinkering with my phone.

Second question: if I go to CM9, what features do -not- work that do on stock ICS?

Kind of fell through the cracks on the stuff that CM9 -DOES NOT- have working.

As for the radio issue, VZW's NRB team said the problem with the radios is just another iteration of the bullshit code errors when the phone loses 4G signal. The cell service and 3G work flawlessly, but the second I put the thing into LTE/CDMA mode it commits honorable seppuku. That being said, if i unlock/root is there a radio that does not have this bullshit flaw that I can use?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Just about to wipe everything and try re-installing cm9 to see if this time it will actually sync Google stuff regularly instead of only upon request. I tried every fix I could find, now to try starting over again.

Xachariah posted:

I decided to re-flash a new ROM on my phone 'cause I needed a little more excitement in my life, so I backed everything up with Titanium and flashed AOKP. I also flashed Gapps as you do.

After a Titanium restore, all the Google Apps are missing :confused: . I thought that's why I flashed Gapps. I tried flashing Gapps a few more times, with signature verification or that script toggle on and off in every permutation. Each time it says it's successful, but I'm still missing every Google stock app (Except the store) after the restart.

I've installed all that were on the market, but some Google apps weren't on the market. They are Music, Calendar and Email. Can I get them back while keeping AOKP? It's a snappy ROM, I'd be sad to lose it.

I had this same issue with Music on CM9. I think I had to go into my Google Play account where it shows all my apps and tell it to resend the app to my device or something like that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lowen SoDium posted:

You only really need root for wifi tethering, titanium backup, and sort of for rom hacking.

And only for wifi tethering if you carrier is being a dick about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

Not to mention that you don't have to root and android phone to do the kind of customization that most people would want to do.

On the iPhone you need to jail break to run any software that is not apple approved.
Ad-blocking?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
CM is well on their way to release candidates

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Xachariah posted:

Sounds like you possibly did a batch Titanium Backup of only your User Apps. Google Apps are installed as System Apps, so Titanium Backup does not include those when you do a batch backup.

I'm surprised that Music doesn't show up in the Play Store. Its full name is "Google Play Music" so it may be getting buried in your search results.

Also, depending on your mail needs, Yahoo and Hotmail have their own dedicated Android apps. Gmail should also be able to be installed from the Play Store.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I think CM might be getting ready for 7.2 final - a password-protected saved draft simply stating "CyanogenMod 7.2" showed up in their blog RSS.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

I think CM might be getting ready for 7.2 final - a password-protected saved draft simply stating "CyanogenMod 7.2" showed up in their blog RSS.

http://get.cm/?type=stable

Looks like it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ProjektorBoy posted:

Sounds like you possibly did a batch Titanium Backup of only your User Apps. Google Apps are installed as System Apps, so Titanium Backup does not include those when you do a batch backup.

I'm surprised that Music doesn't show up in the Play Store. Its full name is "Google Play Music" so it may be getting buried in your search results.

Also, depending on your mail needs, Yahoo and Hotmail have their own dedicated Android apps. Gmail should also be able to be installed from the Play Store.
Google music is indeed in the play store, I've grabbed it, maps, etc from the store more than once.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ProjektorBoy posted:

That's probably the case with titanium, yeah.

The "Play Music" app is currently restricted to the US region. Don't know why. I found a 3rd person apk install of it anyway. I really want the lovely email app though. It was the only email app I could get to access my university email (Microsoft outlook live account). Oh well, I graduated anyway.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

dissss posted:

And only for wifi tethering if you carrier is being a dick about it.

I thought all of the major US carriers were dicks about it.

LastInLine posted:

Ad-blocking?

Good point. Forgot about Ad-Blocking.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I've encountered a bit of a serious issue. I left my phone on the table for an hour or so, in the meantime it appears to have shut off, and it won't turn back on again.

I have taken the battery out multiple times, for over five minutes each. I've held the power button for every multiple of 5 seconds between 0 and 60. I have taken the SIM out several times. I have tried to boot into bootloader mode. Nothing.

Have I bricked my phone?

EDIT: Galaxy Nexus rooted with AOKP, CWR Touch is installed.

EDIT2: After a bit of googling I found out how to fix this issue. You need to take the battery out and plug the phone into your computer (I'm running Windows 7 with all the drivers). Then the computer starts this series of three beeps that happen over and over (DO DO, dun). You then put the battery back in. The phone-off charging symbol comes on and you can then boot as normal.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 16, 2012

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LiquidRain posted:

They are prepping CM9 for stables too. They announced they were going to start a code freeze in a few weeks.

I'd expect RC's to start dropping in the next two weeks.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey G2 users check this new ICS rom out. The individual who is doing support on it seems like he isn't a completely incompetent moron which seems like a fantastic change from the usual dregs.

quote:

As a main (and relatively new) Andromadus developer it has saddened me to see the once vibrant G2/Desire Z community reduced to primarily winzip devs and kangers. There are some notable exceptions. In regards to AOSP-like ROMs, the unofficial "CM9" ROM by jerl92 and the unofficial AOKP ROM by adamz667 are both excellent and both authors have put in a lot of hard work, as well actual development effort.

Literally every single other [ICS] ROM you'll find is a version of those two ROMs or Andromadus. All 3 ROMs have their source open and yet no ROM "devs" compile from source. They're all literally versions of the three aforementioned ROMs, unzipped with APKs and framework/prop hacks applied.

Not to completely marginalize those individuals' effort, as I'm sure most of the time they put real effort and thought into what they were doing, but those creations actually offer very little lasting value to the development community for the Vision. In some cases it's actually harming the community by splintering support for the base ROM and prolonging issues that have been fixed in newer versions of the original ROM, but are unbeknownst to users of the kang.

So who is up for being a guinea pig?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I saw this early and it looked exciting. I've been using it for about an hour now, and it's much better than any of the previous ICS roms I've used. Particularly the browser is lightning fast now. The only hiccup I've run into is that the gallery app kept on displaying garbage for my wallpapers that I export from dropbox. I just replaced the gallery app with quickpic which is what I do normally anyways.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Have you had to do the RIL library automatcher to make gps and wifi work properly again?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Slopehead posted:

Have you had to do the RIL library automatcher to make gps and wifi work properly again?

I don't know anything about that, but my wifi and gps work fine. Keep in mind I have a Desire Z, not a G2 if that makes a difference.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

quote:

Android's Radio Interface Layer (RIL) provides an abstraction layer between Android telephony services (android.telephony) and radio hardware. The RIL is radio agnostic, and includes support for Global System for Mobile communication (GSM)-based radios.

So forgive me if I mangle the hell out of this (I am not a a computer scientist) but the RIL dictates how your hardware interfaces with the service provider. If the Library isn't matched up with the service providers information tags or whatever, everything goes to gently caress. Wifi geeks out, GPS drops or just never locks, all sorts of funky junk. If you're loading a rom with only DZ RILs in the states then things mess up.

I'm sure that someone rad like ExcessBlarg could reword this explanation into something that actually makes sense but has big technical words that make my brain hurt.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Just a stab, but it would make sense if the G2 and the DZ had a different RIL because the two have different radios (1700 vs 1900MHz). I guess there are some different wifi regs in Europe, but I'm Canadian so IDK. I just flashed the rom and it worked. Wifi connects fine, and I get GPS lock in about 2 seconds outdoors.

Then again, I've never once had to muck with the radio since I got the thing.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Right on. In other news, Cyanogenmod 7.2 dropped for a good number of devices today which is cool I guess. According to their development blog, any device graduating to CM9 won't be supported anymore so who knows how all this is going to play out. I'm pretty skeptical either way.

List of supported 7.2 devices.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 18, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm trying to root my transformer TF101, and I can't get this method to work at all.

On step 3, where I install the Superuser app, it says that it failed to set permissions. What am I doing wrong?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I am going to take the plunge and root/install GB/ICS on my kindle fire, but before starting the whole process, I need to set the device up in fastboot, blah blah. The XDA people are suggesting the modded USB cable. Is this really needed, or is the workaround easy enough to do without the hardware cable option?

I have tried to look back a little in this thread and don't see the details, if its been posted here, sorry for :effort: posting

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I am going to take the plunge and root/install GB/ICS on my kindle fire, but before starting the whole process, I need to set the device up in fastboot, blah blah. The XDA people are suggesting the modded USB cable. Is this really needed, or is the workaround easy enough to do without the hardware cable option?

I have tried to look back a little in this thread and don't see the details, if its been posted here, sorry for :effort: posting

I have no idea what you've been told but I've rooted and unrooted mine several times and all you need is the Kindle Fire utility. Should be a thread on XDA, just download it and follow the instructions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

All you Galaxy Nexus owners running CM9: the notification LED just sometimes doesn't work, right?

Decided I'd try it out this weekend and multiple times I'd have a notification but the LED never came on. When I woke it and viewed the lockscreen the LED would come on in the color I'd specified but turning the screen off would deactivate the LED right away. Other times the notification LED worked fine.

I may keep trying it the rest of the day but if notifications continue to remain unreliable I can't see why I'd keep this over stock.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Hey, I I just completed this, but a factory cable is not needed, and but can be. Nice if you need to put it in fastboot mode. And as far as I know, but once you get FFF on (boot loader then you should be good). There is a small risk of needing a new factory cable but you should be okay.

The number one problem with rooting is drivers.. Mine was stuck in fastboot so I needed to run the command line fastboot command to get it back to normal, but that was my only issue.. I also currently recommend using the rom based on st7 framework (or close to that title)! If you want netflix. Working, and gederom has broken netflix.

Just follow the instructions, and make sure you read the kindle for beginner stuff on the forum and you should be okay, but or at least know where to look if things done go as planned.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I rooted my Transformer, now what? Are there any good Tablet ROMs out there?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

tater_salad posted:

Hey, I I just completed this, but a factory cable is not needed, and but can be. Nice if you need to put it in fastboot mode. And as far as I know, but once you get FFF on (boot loader then you should be good). There is a small risk of needing a new factory cable but you should be okay.

The number one problem with rooting is drivers.. Mine was stuck in fastboot so I needed to run the command line fastboot command to get it back to normal, but that was my only issue.. I also currently recommend using the rom based on st7 framework (or close to that title)! If you want netflix. Working, and gederom has broken netflix.

Just follow the instructions, and make sure you read the kindle for beginner stuff on the forum and you should be okay, but or at least know where to look if things done go as planned.

Yeah I've been perusing that, and there was a lot of talk about the factory cable and wanted to see what other's experiences were. Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna dig in tonight and root it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Slopehead posted:

So forgive me if I mangle the hell out of this (I am not a a computer scientist) but the RIL dictates how your hardware interfaces with the service provider.
Smartphones can be thought as having "two computers", that is, CPUs that run full-blown operating systems. The first is the application processor, which runs Android, and is what users primarily interact with. The second is the baseband processor (also known as the "radio" or "modem"), which is responsible, at minimum, for all the telephony capability but is something the user never sees directly. But still, the baseband runs a full-blown OS, usually the same kind that runs on dumbphones but without the UI.

The purpose of the RIL is to interface high-level Android telephony commands, like "dial this number" or "setup a 3G data session" into commands that the baseband OS understands. Ideally this is only for telephony functions, things like WiFi and GPS would be separate.

However, for power efficiency, E911, or whatever the hell reason they come up with, Qualcomm designs may/do build WiFi/GPS into the radio and control of them is through the baseband. Which means the Android interface to these components has to go though, or at least involve, the RIL.

As for why the DZ and G2 aren't compatible here, who knows. Ideally they probably should be, but it can be as simple as the DZ baseband runs "radio ver 4.023463476" and the G2 runs "radio ver 4.453212564 special magic" with slightly different non-standard commands.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Yeah I've been perusing that, and there was a lot of talk about the factory cable and wanted to see what other's experiences were. Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna dig in tonight and root it.
From what I saw the factory cable is only needed if there is a screwup when fff is getting installed, or if you do something dumb like remove the bootloader (fff, or possibly TWRP) make sure you use TWRP and not clockwork mod, I think CWM will break the kindle.

Like I said I used the kindle fire utility and had no major issues except for an oh poo poo moment when it was stuck in fastboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

All you Galaxy Nexus owners running CM9: the notification LED just sometimes doesn't work, right?

Decided I'd try it out this weekend and multiple times I'd have a notification but the LED never came on. When I woke it and viewed the lockscreen the LED would come on in the color I'd specified but turning the screen off would deactivate the LED right away. Other times the notification LED worked fine.

I may keep trying it the rest of the day but if notifications continue to remain unreliable I can't see why I'd keep this over stock.
I have not encountered this problem but then I haven't updated CM9 since end of May -- 21020531. What version are you on? Also I'm on maguro so might be a different phone to yours.