Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Matlock posted:

I'm 16mo since my last upgrade, on Sero Premium. Am I likely to be able to buy out my contract?

I think it varies by region. Just try calling and see if you are eligible. Since you are on Sero I don't know if you should talk to retentions or the sero line though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody know why every other provider's Galaxy S2's got Ice Cream Sandwich while Sprint decided to not roll it out?

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith
Sprint took down all the Android World Phones they sold.

Good going guys. Just great. Now If I want to use a phone from you overseas I have to buy a lovely iPhone.

Dropped like the cancer you are.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have somehow managed to drop my GNex twice from shirt pocket level (for me that's about 5 feet and change) onto concrete and only suffer itty bitty nicks on the top and bottom right side corners. Screen is untouched.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

nolifefriendshope posted:

Good going guys. Just great. Now If I want to use a phone from you overseas I have to buy a lovely iPhone.

It appears they also sell the good iPhone.

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith

Resplendent Spiral posted:

It appears they also sell the good iPhone.

They sell dead bricked iPhones?

Well...caveat emptor...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You're mad because you can't buy a brand new Motorola Photon? Because the XPRT is still listed. And I can't think of any other Android world phones.

You can get the Photon for close to subsidized price on eBay.

Man, I didn't even realize that phone got EOL'd.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Enjoy the equivalent cancer at pretty much any other major carrier? I'm not defending sprint here, but if your beef is you can't buy a Photon on contract, you don't know how to go to eBay.com and spend less money. Oslo the reasons to be pissed off, I don't get it.

Sprint has always been terrible with international offerings, even beyond there likely is a cost issue with making LTE phones international. In the EMD it really doesn't matter, because I guarantee you are in a very very small minority of people not willing to buy the iPhone now a days.

td4guy posted:

You're mad because you can't buy a brand new Motorola Photon? Because the XPRT is still listed. And I can't think of any other Android world phones.

You can get the Photon for close to subsidized price on eBay.

Man, I didn't even realize that phone got EOL'd.

Yeah, sprint very quickly and quietly killed every WiMAX phone minus the epic touch. The unfortunate part is it really is either spend $200 for s good phone, or get an iPhone 4 (the next cheapest android phone is the Viper, and it's LG, enough said).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 12, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wasn't aware anyone wanted the Photon to begin with. What a waste of money.

Anyway, enjoy the alternatives, hope you like getting deepdicked by overages monthly.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

They sell dead bricked iPhones?

Well...caveat emptor...

I know everyone on here is always bitching about how the iPhone 4S is always breaking and is a POS.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Some people think that just the act of registering an SA account makes them the coolest of cool. As though everything they type will be a comedy goldmine +5. :downs:

I still have my Touch Pro 2 and I just put this version of XDAndroid on it. It's a much better port and might be as fast as Android running on a Hero.

Plus you can reset your phone and be back in WM 6.5 any time you need it, since XDAndroid runs off the MicroSD card.

(This applies to the 3 people left in this thread with a TP2.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

moolchaba posted:

(This applies to the 3 people left in this thread with a TP2.)

I'm not but my dad is still running the TP2 I sold him because he's completely set on $30/mo cell service. Unfortunately, I do think this much fuckery to get Android to boot on it is beyond his patience level, so he keeps soldiering on with WinMo 6.5...

Edit: So here's a question. Multi-line plan, my wife's line is up on its two years in a few months. I want to bail and go to T-Mo's $30 plan, but we each want to keep our numbers. Is there any way to switch the numbers between the lines so that when I port my number out to Google Voice, it cancels the no-contract line and not the one with a year left?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 12, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Nope, contracts are attached to the phone number. I investigated the same a month back. I just paid the ETF since selling my handset and having service through work on a data network that actually worked paid for the ETF and new handset in five months.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Anybody know why every other provider's Galaxy S2's got Ice Cream Sandwich while Sprint decided to not roll it out?
To my knowledge, the T-Mobile model is the only US carrier-branded SGSII device with an official ICS update, and it just came out today. The E4GT, and both AT&T models are still waiting.

Also keep in mind that the E4GT and T-Mobile SGSII are very different devices, honestly their similarity is in name only. It's entirely possible for Samsung to finish one update before the other, and of course the carrier QA/testing schedules are completely arbitrary.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is the Galaxy S III keeping it's name on Sprint? I haven't heard anything to the contrary but it seems unusual for Sprint to not change the name of a device spread across multiple carriers.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the Galaxy S III keeping it's name on Sprint? I haven't heard anything to the contrary but it seems unusual for Sprint to not change the name of a device spread across multiple carriers.
Yeah, it is. Now that Samsung has become a major player they're using that to force everyone on the same specs, design and name.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
apparently ordering an evo lte on sunday gets you a call from them on tuesday saying "hey come on in we have your phone, we'll set it aside for you." but when you get there they say "Sorry, we didn't know when you would be in so we sold it. We'll have more in tomorrow!"

I told you fuckers I'll come in after 6 when I get off work :argh: you couldn't wait 4 goddamn hours?

but now I can get a discount on some stupid case that I won't buy for all my trouble.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Drevoak posted:

I think it varies by region. Just try calling and see if you are eligible. Since you are on Sero I don't know if you should talk to retentions or the sero line though.

I was told to email EmployeePhonePrograms@sprint.com, got an autoreply saying I should hear more within 72 hours.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

Yeah, it is. Now that Samsung has become a major player they're using that to force everyone on the same specs, design and name.

Now if only they took Touchwhiz out behind the chemical sheds and gave it the ol' yeller treatment. God I hate that poo poo.

gently caress non-nexus phones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Now if only they took Touchwhiz out behind the chemical sheds and gave it the ol' yeller treatment. God I hate that poo poo.

gently caress non-nexus phones.

Yeah, except that no one outside of these forums even knows what a nexus phone is :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is it still safe to use somebody else's upgrade then activate the phone on your line? They won't deactivate the other persons phone or anything?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is it still safe to use somebody else's upgrade then activate the phone on your line? They won't deactivate the other persons phone or anything?

Yes. I have done it multiple times in the last month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Some places will say you have to keepit I. The line you upgrade for 24 hours, but that's really there to protect the dealer, it won't affect you at all.

And the other persons phone would get deactivated for a out 5 minutes and then be fine.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, except that no one outside of these forums even knows what a nexus phone is :(

Not to be an rear end but most people don't give a poo poo since their phones do exactly what they want and do it well for the most part. It's all about what bothers you. For example, when I compared the Galaxy Nexus to the Evo LTE, I honestly thought, and still think, that the Evo LTE is a far superior phone. It boggles my mind that people in this thread still recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the Evo LTE.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

How early do pre-orders usually show up? Just the day before release?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

Thats ok. People who bought their non-nexus phones will probably be happy with them... Until Android 4.1 is unveiled 2 weeks from now.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

St. Blaize posted:

It boggles my mind that people in this thread still recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the Evo LTE.

Multi-tasking / Sense kills the EVO for me. I know it's to each his own, but to me there is no choice at all when faced with vanilla Android versus a custom interface like Sense.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Multi-tasking / Sense kills the EVO for me. I know it's to each his own, but to me there is no choice at all when faced with vanilla Android versus a custom interface like Sense.

Neither of those issues are going to bother someone who just wanders into this thread for a recommendation though. Really if you don't know have a view on Sense already or know about the multitasking issue then neither is going to matter to you. I know about the issue and see it in action but it still doesn't bother me. Earlier it was recommended to someone that they either get the Nexus or iphone instead of the Evo LTE because of the multitasking issue and I understand the Nexus recommendation if the multitasking issue really bothers you but the iphone does the exact same thing when it comes to multitasking.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

St. Blaize posted:

Neither of those issues are going to bother someone who just wanders into this thread for a recommendation though. Really if you don't know have a view on Sense already or know about the multitasking issue then neither is going to matter to you. I know about the issue and see it in action but it still doesn't bother me. Earlier it was recommended to someone that they either get the Nexus or iphone instead of the Evo LTE because of the multitasking issue and I understand the Nexus recommendation if the multitasking issue really bothers you but the iphone does the exact same thing when it comes to multitasking.

You have 2 solid reasons not to recommend the EVO LTE - The multitasking issue and Sense*.

Conversely, I can't think of any reason not to recommend the Galaxy Nexus.

That is why I will recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the EVO LTE, even tough the EVO LTE is a faster more powerful phone. Because there is nothing wrong with the Nexus, but I do find flaws with the EVO LTE.

*Some see Sense's added features as a good thing, but Sense will always slow down the update process. And if you are the kind of person who just comes in to this thread to ask which phone to get, you are probably not going to find any of Sense's added features as a benefit. You probably don't care.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

St. Blaize posted:

Not to be an rear end but most people don't give a poo poo since their phones do exactly what they want and do it well for the most part. It's all about what bothers you. For example, when I compared the Galaxy Nexus to the Evo LTE, I honestly thought, and still think, that the Evo LTE is a far superior phone. It boggles my mind that people in this thread still recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the Evo LTE.

I remember plenty of people saying that the EVO 3D was superior to the Nexus S. While it might of been hardwise I think everyone agrees that in the end Nexus S was easily the better phone. So here we are again with the EVO LTE. Superior hardware wise (the camera is awesome), but is it inferior software wise to the Galaxy Nexus? I don't know, but I guess time will tell.

Also all you have to look at is the iPhone. The iPhone has never had top of the line of specs, but it is a great phone based on how the software works with the hardware.

Lowen SoDium posted:

You have 2 solid reasons not to recommend the EVO LTE - The multitasking issue and Sense*.

Only reasons I could think of not to recommend the Galaxy Nexus is the size. I talked my mom and her husband into getting 2 on Verizon (they had Droid of some sort). Well they both returned them because of size and got iPhones (I told them to get either a Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 4S). Honestly I have to agree with them. I still think to this day the best sized Android phone was the Nexus S. I wish Android would head back to 4 inches and I pray the iPhone next goes over 4.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 13, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At the time nobody expected the ROM support for the E3D to be utter poo poo like it is.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IOwnCalculus posted:

At the time nobody expected the ROM support for the E3D to be utter poo poo like it is.

I understand that some people like to mess with hacked roms and stuff.

But you shouldn't have to to get a good phone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good point. I know the ROM support of my OG EVO made my EVO into a pretty good phone. I wonder how the ROM support for the EVO LTE will be?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I understand that some people like to mess with hacked roms and stuff.

But you shouldn't have to to get a good phone.

While you are correct you need ot realize that most people who don't dig deep into their phone will never realize they have a bad phone.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

That is why I will recommend the Galaxy Nexus over the EVO LTE, even tough the EVO LTE is a faster more powerful phone. Because there is nothing wrong with the Nexus, but I do find flaws with the EVO LTE.

*Some see Sense's added features as a good thing, but Sense will always slow down the update process. And if you are the kind of person who just comes in to this thread to ask which phone to get, you are probably not going to find any of Sense's added features as a benefit. You probably don't care.

The reasons I can think of to recommend the Evo LTE over the Nexus :

Superior screen
Higher build quality
Better overall specs

The screen is the main reason since that is what you're looking at the whole time and even though it is preference I think most people would agree. Once there is a fully functioning version of CM9 do you think your opinion will change?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

St. Blaize posted:

Superior screen
Higher build quality
Better overall specs

The screen is the main reason since that is what you're looking at the whole time and even though it is preference I think most people would agree. Once there is a fully functioning version of CM9 do you think your opinion will change?

Ha I do question higher build quality. HTC's quality has been poo poo over years. One of the main reason I will never buy another HTC phone. But you guys keep at it because I don't have a dog in this race (all my lines are leaving Android).

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Ha I do question higher build quality. HTC's quality has been poo poo over years. One of the main reason I will never buy another HTC phone. But you guys keep at it because I don't have a dog in this race (all my lines are leaving Android).

Believe me, I knew I was getting the Nexus because of HTC build quality until I handled the Evo, it's like it was made by a completely different company.

I completely forgot about the camera, which is far superior on the Evo

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

St. Blaize posted:

Superior screen
Higher build quality
Better overall specs

You are missing my point. I was saying I can think of reasons to not recommend the EVO LTE. I can't think of reasons not recommend the G Nexus. I am not talking about why a phone is better. I am talking about why a phone is worse.

The EVO LTE might have a hand-job dispenser built in to it, but it doesn't change the fact that it has an issue with multitasking memory management that the Galaxy Nexus does not, and that it will get updates at a slower rate than the Galaxy Nexus will.

As far as the screen goes, I have not seen the EVO LTE's screen in person, but I am completely in love with the SAMOLED 720p screen on the G-Nexus. People complain about pintile screens, but I honestly can not see it at that resolution. And the contrast of SAMOLED is stunning. I love using black back grounds and white text widgets. The true black contrast just pops!

Higher build quality, I have no comment on as I don't feel like the build quality of the G-Nexus is bad.

I have already agreed that the EVO LTE has better specs, but I am not recommending the Galaxy Nexus because it is a superiour phone. I am recommending it because I feel that the EVO LTE has more cons than the Galaxy Nexus does.

As far as CM9 goes, I think that CyanogenMod is a really neat project and I ran CM7 on my EVO 4G and loved it. But that was mostly because it was the alternative to running Sense. Since I now have a Galaxy Nexus that runs AOSP, I don't have that issue. CM9 adds some really neat things over stock, but I don't really find them to be all that compelling to switch from stock.

When there is a fully functioning port of CM9 for the EVO LTE, will I change my opinion? No. I will still recommend a Nexus phone. Because if I have to give someone a recommendation on which phone to get, they are not the kind of person who needs to be loving around with roms. I am going to recommend a phone that I know will get timely official updates and runs with as few of issues as possible.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. I prefer the open operating system of android, but because manufacturers won't release driver source code, everyone has to wait for the manufacturers to release updates before they get a good working version of the phone. The epic left a really sour taste in my mouth, and the 3D is better, but not by enough.

Couple that with the huge hassle I have had to deal with to use TEP (in the last 16 month, 13 defective phones on 2 lines), and the fact that the cost per month and the deductible are going up, I'm planning to try the iphone in 2 months when my upgrade is available on 8/1 (unless a newer version of the iphone is announced by then). I can always sell the iphone and go back to the 3D if I don't like it any more than a sense-gimped system, they seem very easy to re-sell.

I will miss the daily free app from amazon, but I'll probably get a kindle fire eventually and be able to use them again.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

St. Blaize posted:

Believe me, I knew I was getting the Nexus because of HTC build quality until I handled the Evo, it's like it was made by a completely different company.

I completely forgot about the camera, which is far superior on the Evo

That camera on the EVO is the best Android camera ever. Depending on the tilt of the review it is better than the iPhone 4S or right up there with it.

bigpolar posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. I prefer the open operating system of android...

I will miss the daily free app from amazon, but I'll probably get a kindle fire eventually and be able to use them again.

I been using the 4S since October and love it. I do miss the open OS, but I did just jailbreak my iPhone the other day. I got my wife a Kindle Fire for Christmas so she gets all my free apps.

Also the new iPhone is coming out in October so I would wait. I have 2 upgrades I am dying to use, but I am holding off until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have already agreed that the EVO LTE has better specs, but I am not recommending the Galaxy Nexus because it is a superiour phone. I am recommending it because I feel that the EVO LTE has more cons than the Galaxy Nexus does.

I'm confused who you are talking about recommending the phone to. If you're talking about the normal everyday no research on phones type person the Evo is the better choice for two reasons:

Bigger screen (better?)
Far away better camera

The person will not give a poo poo about updates, multitasking, or official Google support. Those two reasons are all I would need to recommend this phone to the person . For a more techy person the conversation will go differently and depending what they want another recommendation may be warranted.

I don't want to come off like an rear end but if you are recommending because of the multitasking issue then I feel like you are pushing your own preferences onto them. I guarantee once the person has their new Nexus in their hands and sees the Evo they will not be happy with your recommendation. I highly recommend you check out the Evo to see it in action.

Isn't there an issue with Google support and the CDMA Nexus?