Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Finally sold the 636 for $4k, so I can cross off the first of my short term goals. We had some fun times together but sometimes a person and a bike just fall out of love. Maybe in a year I'll get a ZX10 or 14 but for now I'm happy with my sumos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Spent Saturday trying to work out why my taillight wasn't working. Been finishing work a bit late recently so having a working light on the back is always a plus. The connecter was all sorts if hosed by a PO but still seemed to be delivering current. The a bit of searching online reveals its probably a broken connection inside the sealed unit. Had to cut into it with a soldering iron, low and behold there's a wire not connected to anything so i soldered it back in place and attempted to reseal the unit a bit but will have to look at that again. Plugged it back in and all of a sudden the headlights weren't working either. Had enough for the day, farings back on and time for a beer.

Overnight i remembered about such things as fuses and double checked them first thing in the morning, bingo problem solved. Still need to work out a way to properly reseal the tail light unit and redo the connectors but so far im happy.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Finally got a hold of the crimping tool I needed, turns out it wasn't the right size exactly, but it got the job done. Now all I need to do is stick it all back together and adjust the chain tension and the DRZ will be ready to ride again with fancy new tail lights.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yesterday I pulled the upper fairings off my scooter to fix an annoying play in the steering. It's all plastics that lace together in mysterious ways meaning there's exactly one way to put it together again and if you get it wrong it won't fit, even though it looks like it should.

So ten minutes pulling the fairings off, two minutes tightening the guilty bolt and forty minutes plus a whole lot of cursing and two pinched/cut fingers to put it back together.

And today I noticed the speedometer no longer works. :saddowns:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Fixed the oil spewing out of the overflow tube and airbox issue on the CRF. Now it's leaking from either the shift shaft of counter sprocket shaft. I guess that's progress.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Collateral Damage posted:

Yesterday I pulled the upper fairings off my scooter to fix an annoying play in the steering. It's all plastics that lace together in mysterious ways meaning there's exactly one way to put it together again and if you get it wrong it won't fit, even though it looks like it should.

So ten minutes pulling the fairings off, two minutes tightening the guilty bolt and forty minutes plus a whole lot of cursing and two pinched/cut fingers to put it back together.

And today I noticed the speedometer no longer works. :saddowns:

Use a grease pencil on the inside of the plastics to number them as you take them off, follow the reverse when you put them back on.

Obviously you can use something more permanent if you want, but I've found that grease pencils work fine for my needs.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I finally found (and fixed) this bastard short that has been blowing my fuses. Good timing too, since I'm off to Le Mans tomorrow morning!

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

P.S., a broom, a flattened cardboard box, and a tarp make life so much easier when working on the sidewalk.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

P.S., a broom, a flattened cardboard box, and a tarp make life so much easier when working on the sidewalk.

I'm a man of simple needs, the fact that it wasn't raining was good enough.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Linedance posted:

If you time it right, the rain eliminates any need for the broom, etc.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Found and fixed an oil leak on my wife's bike. Unfortunately now it wont turn over. Goddamnit. I think its the battery.

I want to get rid of this bike. Suzuki Savage (ls650). I'm spending more time fixing poo poo with it than she spends riding it.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
DRC lights for the DRZ are installed and working. I'm not completely happy with how my work turned out, but I did learn a bit about the bike and in the end the lights are working, which is what counts I suppose.

Bad news, the license plate holder doesn't fit my plate, so now I'm going to have to figure out something before I can ride it again.

Linedance posted:

My work space is a mosquito infested patch of hard dirt available in the 1 hour between getting home and darkness. I can't wait to have a garage.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

GanjamonII posted:

Found and fixed an oil leak on my wife's bike. Unfortunately now it wont turn over. Goddamnit. I think its the battery.

I want to get rid of this bike. Suzuki Savage (ls650). I'm spending more time fixing poo poo with it than she spends riding it.

So let me tell you about this SV650 I have that you guys might be interested in...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Resource posted:

My work space is a mosquito infested patch of hard dirt available in the 1 hour between getting home and darkness. I can't wait to have a garage.

My work space consists of having my bike street parked under a street light.

Although I do make use of Cornelius' place when I feel like having abuse hurled at me.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sup outdoor garage buddies. I went out and bought a 7x7 roll of carpet that I just shake the poo poo out of when I'm done and then shopvac the topside when I unroll it. Sure, it sucks that you're limited to good weather and daylight hours and finding a flat surface, but goddamn is sunlight the best light.

For content, on Tuesday I took the tank off the girlfriends EX500 to get it ready for powder coating. I told her to burn up as much as she could, but there was at least a half gallon in there still and man, there has to be a better way to get it all out. I ended up taking off the fuel pump and shaking it out through that hole into a funnel, although I don't think I should reuse any of it because there were pieces of gummed up paint from where the pump was mounted falling in as well. Then I ran a dry garden hose from her cars exhaust directly into the tank for about 30 minutes, voila, no gas/fumes. My friend was impressed when I dropped it off, he said usually when people bring in tanks they reek of gas. Unfortunately, they had an order of parts go the same color yesterday when I dropped it off and they didn't get mine blasted in time, so we are still waiting on seeing it finished. That's the lovely thing about getting something done as a favor, but at least it's not my bike that's down.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Woo, DRZ is ready to ride again. Chain tension adjusted and license plate put on sideways (no idea if that's legal) but at least I'll be able to ride it. Next step, oil change before I move. Also, make shift cheater bar for rear axel nut was disconcerting, but it all went well in the end.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Oil change! Need to buy another to put in the shelf.

Anybody know standard radiator fluids for sv650

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
loving rode the thing! Bought the bike used a few months ago, and finally got the oil changed last weekend and registered this week. Rode it to the bike shop for a once over and new tires and...a Street Triple is a nice step up from my old 250, wow!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Captain Apollo posted:

Oil change! Need to buy another to put in the shelf.

Anybody know standard radiator fluids for sv650

Same as other bikes I presume, distilled water with a mix of off the shelf anti freeze appropriate for your area?

If it never gets below zero where you are, just distilled water will do.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

shaitan posted:

...a Street Triple is a nice step up from my old 250, wow!

How close did you get to flipping it over backwards? :devil:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReelBigLizard posted:

Same as other bikes I presume, distilled water with a mix of off the shelf anti freeze appropriate for your area?

If it never gets below zero where you are, just distilled water will do.

I'd still put some antifreeze in there, it's supposed to help lubricate moving parts and retard corrosion.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
Set up electrolysis on the gf's GS500 tank for rust removal since it's been sitting unused for like a year. It removed about 90% of the rust overnight, so I'm going to run it again tonight and hope it clears the last little bit up. I'm pretty happy with the results, and compared to installing the springs on the centerstand, this part is a cakewalk.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Discomancer posted:

Set up electrolysis on the gf's GS500 tank for rust removal since it's been sitting unused for like a year. It removed about 90% of the rust overnight, so I'm going to run it again tonight and hope it clears the last little bit up. I'm pretty happy with the results, and compared to installing the springs on the centerstand, this part is a cakewalk.

Use a fresh annode or clean the old one before you do it again.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Use a fresh annode or clean the old one before you do it again.
Yeah, I took some steel wool to the old one last night so it's good to go for round 2. The anode has a lot of life left, but there's also a lot of bike to derust :(

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Finally got around to finishing the job I started last week. Still a few things left to do (reconnect electrics, install 2 more sets of screws holding the inner fender to the outer, find a way to stabilise the rear fender, since the white tail is missing 2 bolt holes that were present on the yellow one.)

ZEB'S DEAD, BABY!
LONG LIVE ZEB!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Discomancer posted:

Yeah, I took some steel wool to the old one last night so it's good to go for round 2. The anode has a lot of life left, but there's also a lot of bike to derust :(

Don't forget about how well vinegar de-rusts things too.
Also don't forget to swirl a little gas+oil in your tank after you de-rust it or it will flash rust.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also don't forget to swirl a little gas+oil in your tank after you de-rust it or it will flash rust.

If you use an alkaline electrolyte for the electrolytic de-rusting, you'll actually passivate the metal and prevent rust from taking hold for at least a day or so, giving you plenty of time to get the tank back on the bike and full of gas for protection.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not my bike but I spent the morning today being deafened by a Fireblade in the back of a truck. Sorted out some fuelling problems, specifically tracking down fuel starvation problem at high rpms and tuning for its new akrapovic system. ended up finding a cracked vacuum hose which was causing that and dropping the needles 3 clips which fixed the pig rich idle.

This run was prior to sorting it out, as the bogging and flameshow show, I've no video of the later dyno runs as i was standing inside the truck holding a fuel bottle over my head to keep enough juice flowing into its gaping maw.
It pulls sweetly from idle now, power is up to 124bhp up from 117 last time with the old exhaust system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-OJOIyp9A

edit: its last dyno a few months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HLIRaerdow

echomadman fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 15, 2012

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh shi--are you using just regular 10w40 mixed with gas? What ratio should I be looking at here?

Good call on the vinegar, I've been using it to get rid of the rust on the external bits, and it's working pretty well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tightened my chain, since it got kind of loose as it wore in over the last couple hundred miles. By how much slack there was in the chain I was afraid that I'd have to pull the axle all the way back to its stops, but in the end it only needed to be moved back about 1/16". Geometry is surprising. It's a fair bit quieter now, and the bike seems to shift better too. Nice.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do you have a roller chain on your CL? I am wondering how much life I can expect from mine...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do, yes, because apparently O-ring chains are just a little too wide and will chew up the clutch actuator. Bad news. However, I have no idea how long this chain will last. I've heard numbers ranging around 5000-7000 miles on the hondatwins and sohc4 forums. Not like standard roller chains are expensive, so I guess be conservative and replace early?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Last night was a whirlwind of bolts, screws, washers, spacers, gorilla tape, and Trex synthetic decking. I'm about 80% of the way to getting my Caribou cases mounted up to the Uly. I guess I probably should have taken photos, but I'll do that when I finish up.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Saga posted:

How close did you get to flipping it over backwards? :devil:

Haha, Front tire never left the ground. I'll def want to know how to wheelie so I will know what to do if I ever do it accidently.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Installed some new bars and grips. Way more comfortable than the stock setup. Went for a nice long ride.

Renthal road medium bars.

Tampa Skyline off in the distance.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.

BlackLaser posted:

Installed some new bars and grips. Way more comfortable than the stock setup. Went for a nice long ride.

Renthal road medium bars.

Awesome man... looks so nice out! What are you doing inside? Get back in the saddle!

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Put some Oberon bar end mirrors on the Bandit:

They're a bit smaller than the stock mirrors, but work really well because they're further out. And they look a hell of a lot better.

Dapper as gently caress. Looking really good with the Tomaselli bar! If they also kind of work for you, it's great plus ;)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

clutchpuck posted:

Last night was a whirlwind of bolts, screws, washers, spacers, gorilla tape, and Trex synthetic decking. I'm about 80% of the way to getting my Caribou cases mounted up to the Uly. I guess I probably should have taken photos, but I'll do that when I finish up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Looks good, I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
I love the British Racing Green.