Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

It's smart to not bring in Kanji/Naoto at least because that's a whole extra set of armor and equipment to maintain. Keeping your party the same as much as possible means you can also only buy stuff for them as well.

Why would you need to maintain equipment for everyone? You just give them the best weapons and then have at least two good pieces of armour for the ladies and two for the men and put it on whoever you're using. I found all of my armour in chests apart from one that I got from the shopping channel I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Good chest armor is pretty rare, I think I got maybe one female piece I wound up using prior to the November dungeon. I got a whole bunch in that one though, which was nice.

Regardless, it's still one less set of weapons to buy as well. Since you don't really rake in money until November, any cost savings prior to that is very helpful.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is there anything special I should know about the Answer before getting too far into it? I've heard it's hard and gotten paranoid :ohdear: Like: does someone absolutely suck, or leave the party (fuckin', Shinjiro) or some persona that are absurdly useful now, etc.

So far it seems like Junpei and Koromaru are leagues above the others even though they join at the same level, but I'm reluctant to put them both in because of the element overlap.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Is there anything special I should know about the Answer before getting too far into it? I've heard it's hard and gotten paranoid :ohdear: Like: does someone absolutely suck, or leave the party (fuckin', Shinjiro) or some persona that are absurdly useful now, etc.

So far it seems like Junpei and Koromaru are leagues above the others even though they join at the same level, but I'm reluctant to put them both in because of the element overlap.

USE the new character, I mean it, it should never leave your party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Justice posted:

God dammit endorph what the gently caress did you do this time
I have no loving idea considering I don't think I've ever even mentioned bondage in any post ever.

EDIT: Also, didn't Yosuke have some debuffs, or am I remembering wrong? Either way my party was Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie, with Naoto sometimes getting swapped in if I didn't feel like dealing with the generic enemies.

P4's party was a bit more diverse than P3's, in gameplay terms, and you didn't have any characters who kind of just sucked like Junpei. Naoto had a ton of problems but at least she had a niche, while the P3 party members were both more numerous and fulfilled far fewer roles by themselves. I don't think Shinji even had anything other than physical attacks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 12, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I always found the best endgame party in persona 4 was Chie/Kanji/Teddie, because Kanji has Matarukaja and can use that after she uses her Power Charge, and Teddie has Marakukaja which helps (Yukiko is certainly nice but I prefer Teddie's buffs)

Makes me sad that there was no one in P4 with debuffs though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

I have no loving idea considering I don't think I've ever even mentioned bondage in any post ever.

EDIT: Also, didn't Yosuke have some debuffs, or am I remembering wrong? Either way my party was Yosuke/Kanji/Teddie, with Naoto sometimes getting swapped in if I didn't feel like dealing with the generic enemies.

P4's party was a bit more diverse than P3's, in gameplay terms, and you didn't have any characters who kind of just sucked like Junpei. Naoto had a ton of problems but at least she had a niche, while the P3 party members were both more numerous and fulfilled far fewer roles by themselves. I don't think Shinji even had anything other than physical attacks.

Yosuke had the spell for stripping buffs from a foe if I remember correctly, that's probably what you're thinking of.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have any advice for fighting the Naga boss in DDS2? She's kicking my rear end thanks to the constant fire wall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Nevermind, debuffs not buffs.

I don't think debuffs would be particularly helpful on party members when really the only one you need late in the game is Debilitate, which of course is MC-only.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 12, 2012

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Len posted:

Does anyone have any advice for fighting the Naga boss in DDS2? She's kicking my rear end thanks to the constant fire wall.

In the Power plant? I thought that was a guy? It's been a while.

If I recall it has buddies that you need to take out first. If it helps, use earth against the little guys to get more turns.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:shepface:

I don't mind her older design but when did Persona 4 take place in the land of cyberpunk?

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't mind her older design but when did Persona 4 take place in the land of cyberpunk?

Persona's technology is kind of whack considering Aigis exists.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What in the hell is that?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chaosfeather posted:

In the Power plant? I thought that was a guy? It's been a while.

If I recall it has buddies that you need to take out first. If it helps, use earth against the little guys to get more turns.

It might be a guy? It's a giant snake with two little buddy naga that take mroe hate the scrubby ones you run into before that point. I think I need to grind higher earth spells. Right now only one person has terazi and it's a pain.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

It's a scan from a new Naoto themed spinoff. Upon looking more into it, it's apparently a book but I thought I'd post it anyways.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

It's the Naoto light novel.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

It's the Naoto light novel.

I can't wait to read an entire book of exposition dumping! :allears:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ah! Naoto! Why would you grow out your hair?! And why isn't Kanji on the cover?!:colbert:

She looks best with short hair, but I suppose she doesn't look bad with long hair. I like the suit she's rockin' too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally beat P4. It was good. Great characters, nice plot. Was able to max everything but Moon, which I ignored for most of the game.

My biggest compliment is how much better the S. Links were this time around. So many more were plot relevant, though there were still the usual handful that were just filler NPC stories. And scheduling was a lot easier since you didn't have to worry about about reversals.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's... that's certainly some hair. Also, I will never get over how Naoto's partner can transform into a motorcycle, it's dumb but awesome at the same time.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 14, 2012

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It looks like Adachi gets a social link in P4G.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It'll probably involve cabbages.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the new Velvet Room character was World, not Aeon?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Nate RFB posted:

I thought the new Velvet Room character was World, not Aeon?

World already exists, it's the culmination of all Social Links. Not like it matters, they're just making poo poo up at this point.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

jonjonaug posted:

Well that's unexpected.

How does that even work? :psyduck:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

jonjonaug posted:

I...what? Wow, that was completely unexpected.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Lucinice posted:

Well that's unexpected.

Someone on another forum who claimed to understand Japanese (but could have been talking out of their rear end) said the article describes it as a social link exclusive to the bad end

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Lucinice posted:

Well that's unexpected.

Maybe during that time after december, you go visit him in the jail?

That'd be pretty cool.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bland posted:

Someone on another forum who claimed to understand Japanese (but could have been talking out of their rear end) said the article describes it as a social link exclusive to the bad end

That would make sense
They're adding extra time after the ending since every ending had a timeskip, right? If you get the bad end Namatame is the bad guy and you and Adachi are buds

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
On a more practical level though it makes sense. End-game Persona 4 spoilers:

Since it seems like everyone and their cat is going to be an slink, it would seem a little telling to leave one major character out of the slink pool when the story is a quasi-murder mystery.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I guess this was the most requested feature they kept hinting about.

Bland posted:

It says on the screenshot that it can be started after May 13.

It looks like Gurr and Take-Minakata are Pierrot personas.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lucinice posted:

Well that's unexpected.

Why wouldn't it work? I imagine it'll be like, he'll put up his facade until the eights or nines, where you'll get to hear some of his real personality and worries about things, but not quite that he's behind the murders. Then if you max him you get extra dialogue at his boss fight.

At least, that's how I would imagine.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i've been playing Catherine lately (super late, i know, but i waited to get it cheap, which took way too long) and man. I have no idea how, but this is the first time someone has managed to do that 3D anime look in a game without it looking totally poo poo. I hope Atlus makes an actual next-gen SMT with this style... though it's more likely that they'll just stick to handhelds, i suppose.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Nessa posted:

Ah! Naoto! Why would you grow out your hair?!

Because she can do whatever the gently caress she wants now and not have to worry about being a woman holding her down.

I actually think it looks great and the character development it implies is nice. I still don't care for her character at all but I sincerely love this direction with her design, it makes me just wanna say "you go girl". I think I'm just a sucker for anything where a female character stops pretending to be a man and looks however the hell she wants. :3:

jonjonaug posted:

Words cannot describe how happy I am right now.

Other than I need a Vita right the gently caress now. Looks like I now know my graduation present to myself.

But wait wasn't there an article before that said Marie was the "Eternal" arcana? Or was that a mistranslation? :confused:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Technique posted:

So i've been playing Catherine lately (super late, i know, but i waited to get it cheap, which took way too long) and man. I have no idea how, but this is the first time someone has managed to do that 3D anime look in a game without it looking totally poo poo. I hope Atlus makes an actual next-gen SMT with this style... though it's more likely that they'll just stick to handhelds, i suppose.
The funny thing is that it's a Gamebryo engine game.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Katsudon posted:

Because she can do whatever the gently caress she wants now and not have to worry about being a woman holding her down.

I actually think it looks great and the character development it implies is nice. I still don't care for her character at all but I sincerely love this direction with her design, it makes me just wanna say "you go girl". I think I'm just a sucker for anything where a female character stops pretending to be a man and looks however the hell she wants. :3:

Words cannot describe how happy I am right now.

Other than I need a Vita right the gently caress now. Looks like I now know my graduation present to myself.

But wait wasn't there an article before that said Marie was the "Eternal" arcana? Or was that a mistranslation? :confused:

Aeon is pronounced really similarly to a japanese word that more or less means eternal so I'm guessing so. Someone misinterpreting a word said in an interview or something.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Ohhh. Okay yeah, that makes way more sense, I always thought "eternal" was super weird for an arcana name.

Also I'm really digging Pierrot for Adachi considering it's obviously just another name for Fool. Perfect. :allears:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I remember that Aeon is an arcana in another tarot that the one they used in Persona.
Maybe Pierrot belongs to that deck as well. Funny thing, you know what that word can mean in French? A fool or jester. That would be very fitting of Adachi to have a Not-Fool arcana, wouldn't it?

Edit: Beaten like Adachi in ^'s avatar.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Katsudon posted:

Well keep in mind this is a JRPG we're talking about, she could have hair like that and still be pretending to be a man. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Katsudon posted:

Oh I understand that she can do whatever the hell she wants. I'm just disappointed that she would be the kind of person to conform to what society thinks a woman should look like. I'm also a big fan of some of her concept art that shows her looking little older.

I suppose I'm also a bit biased because I have a Naoto style haircut myself and can't help but be a little bothered when people tell me I should grow out my hair, or when I get lectured to wear more pretty skirts and dresses.

Accepting yourself for who you are and conforming to society's standards of beauty and gender are two different things. :)

I do still thinks Naoto looks good, 'cause Naoto always looks good. :colbert: