Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I like Elliott a lot but I wish they'd cut the letters section. User submitted stuff is the worst part of every podcast. Even on MBMBAM the Yahoo Answers stuff is way better than questions sent directly to them, unless the letter writer is just straight ahead with their question and doesn't try to be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't mind a few minutes of advertising on the hours of absolutely free entertainment Earwolf provides for me every week.

You can want Earwolf to be profitable and still have opinions about whether an ad is appropriate or not.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eltoasto posted:

I'm normally quite cool with the ads in podcasts, but the earwolf ones are getting a bit irritating. Not just because of the length and unfunniness, but also because it seems like they created a ton of overhead by moving to a big studio, and are now whining about how they can't afford it. The other podcasting networks seem to get by just fine without having to call out donor names during shows. Did the Sklars and Two Charted really want to do a 2nd show each week, or is it to create more ad exposure?

I would just rather pay a monthly fee tbwh.

It's 100% due to Earwolf's production of the ads. For whatever reason they've decided to shove ads into things like THE MIDDLE OF A loving COMEDY SONG on CBB which is one of the dumbest ideas ever stumbled upon by mankind. They're jarring and sloppy and poorly executed for the most part.

The MaxFun shows have the Jumbotron program which is really similar to the $100 donor thing, but they don't just say your name at the end of the show - you get to throw out a message of some sort as well, which the hosts can usually riff on for a bit and make funny and interesting. That way feels more like listener participation than an ad or a shout-out, and can usually add to the show.

Also since Dustin left Two Charted (and even Who Charted) has really become boring (very possibly unrelated).

I went to MaxFunCon this weekend and it was a loving blast. Bryan y Erin are nicer than they have any reason to be and I got to smoke drugs with them. It was great. My entire trip to LA was ridiculously amazing; a grip of podcasters recognized me from twitter/emails and it was pretty freakin thrilling.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

indigi posted:

Also since Dustin left Two Charted (and even Who Charted) has really become boring (very possibly unrelated).

I wouldn't be surprised since after he left, they couldn't even do the radio noise/Macintosh Fred voice at the same time anymore on Professor Blastoff, which is stupidly easy to do if you're producing in Garage Band.

I guess what I'm saying is that I have a lot of respect for Katie Levine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't mind a few minutes of advertising on the hours of absolutely free entertainment Earwolf provides for me every week.

No one is complaining about the ads as a concept, it's that they're so hamfisted and just kill any momentum in a comedy podcast.

Moneyzone is the best example of ads done well, give them money and let them hock your stuff however works. At least with Smodcast stuff and all it's right upfront and you can skip over the ads, but if they're in the middle of your show they better actually be fun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Live Jordan Jesse Go was awesome this week. Even with their various games and bits completely falling apart.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

indigi posted:

It's 100% due to Earwolf's production of the ads. For whatever reason they've decided to shove ads into things like THE MIDDLE OF A loving COMEDY SONG on CBB which is one of the dumbest ideas ever stumbled upon by mankind. They're jarring and sloppy and poorly executed for the most part.

As someone who is working their way through CBB (around episode 70 currently, not listened to every ep in full though), the worst thing about these retroactively added ads is the volume level being about 50% louder than the shows. Almost deafens me, especially when I'm walking outside and have the volume up a bit.

Please tell me it gets better.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Greggy posted:

I like Elliott a lot but I wish they'd cut the letters section. User submitted stuff is the worst part of every podcast. Even on MBMBAM the Yahoo Answers stuff is way better than questions sent directly to them, unless the letter writer is just straight ahead with their question and doesn't try to be funny.

Yeah, pretty much. Several shows have lost me because while they started out, as something different as the show has gotten more successful and the creators get more mail the podcast just becomes about the podcast. It's a bit like the observation that as a comedian becomes more successful more of their act becomes about airplane travel. Has anybody else notice this?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

As someone who is working their way through CBB (around episode 70 currently, not listened to every ep in full though), the worst thing about these retroactively added ads is the volume level being about 50% louder than the shows. Almost deafens me, especially when I'm walking outside and have the volume up a bit.

Please tell me it gets better.

It gets better after they started doing the ad placement in archived episodes thing, because all the ones since they started are normalized to the ad volume. But they only started a few months ago I think.

I usually just skip to a little over 1 minute in. The Audible and Legal Zoom ads have to be a minute long and they usually aren't much longer than that. Hopefully they don't start adding Pepsi ads to the beginning because those are like 5 hours long.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
2-and-a-half hours of You Made It Weird?!

Not to mention the other episode this week was also over two hours. This is starting to be a bit much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd say it really depends on the guest if two hours is too much. The previous episode was great because Kenya Barris had such amazing stories.

You can definitely overdose on Pete Holmes though. I listened to the Adam Carolla, Chelsea Peretti #2 and Bo Burnham episodes back-to-back a couple weeks ago. They were great episodes but I definitely should have picked a different podcast to sandwich them with.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I can't do more than one you made it weird in a row unless the guest is amazing. I'm falling behind and have been deleting some in the feed I didn't care about. I'll be sure to listen to the one you mentioned. I'm hoping for a Howard kremer or Kulap episode soon since he was on Who Charted and that's how it usually works. Howard is just weird and so uniquely funny while Kulap's energy would work well with Pete. Or the energy could overflow into a black hole of annoying-ness...

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just caught up with On Cinema. I think there has to be some people out there not in on the joke, right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How Did This Get Made just did an episode with Danny Trejo.
I haven't listened, but look how tiny he is!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
It was way too short. I really wanted them to dig deeper into his films and stuff. I don't know, maybe he had a 'hard out'.

Their Jim Belushi bit with visual aids.
vvvvvvvvvvvvv

hong kong divorce lunch fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 12, 2012

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Lamuella posted:

I'm really starting to enjoy The Flophouse. It's like everything I like most about Comedy Film Nerds with everything I like most about How Did This Get Made? I think I like most that they aren't just going after easy targets. This week's ep on One For The Money was great precisely because they weren't talking about a "so bad it's good" movie, but rather something that would have worked better as a USA network pilot episode.

If you havent given it a try Id suggest listening to We Hate Movies for more movie/comedy podcasts. Some episode suggestions are the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, both ewok movies, and every Jim Belushi movie.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

If you havent given it a try Id suggest listening to We Hate Movies for more movie/comedy podcasts. Some episode suggestions are the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, both ewok movies, and every Jim Belushi movie.

Seconding this, the idea of a podcast with people just talking about a movie seemed like the most boring thing in the world to me until I listened to the Phantom Menace and Ewoks episodes, and now I've burnt through the back catalog and wait for the new one every Tuesday.

e: VVVV As soon as I saw Brimley was in it I was super excited for all the impressions. Can't wait to listen later.

e2: GAWDUMMIT!

bango skank fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 13, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Teenage Fansub posted:

How Did This Get Made just did an episode with Danny Trejo.
I haven't listened, but look how tiny he is!

Hmmm what is stronger, my total love of Danny Trejo or my utter apathy about How Did This Get Made.

Speaking of movie podcasts that I actually ENJOY, We Hate Movies is doing Cocoon this week, and it fuckin rules so hard. So many great Brimley impressions.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Things are looking good for the world's #1 Phish fan: http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/writer-harris-wittels-inks-overall-deal-with-universal-tv-will-continue-on-parks-rec/ Love that photo as well. Hope this means we will eventually get a tv show based around the exploits of Foxy The Lawyer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GraPar posted:

Things are looking good for the world's #1 Phish fan: http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/writer-harris-wittels-inks-overall-deal-with-universal-tv-will-continue-on-parks-rec/ Love that photo as well. Hope this means we will eventually get a tv show based around the exploits of Foxy The Lawyer.

Does that mean the Sarah Silverman pilot died? On some podcast he was on recently it sounded like he'd continue Parks if he wasn't going to act in that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 13, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does that mean the Sarah Silverman pilot died? On some podcast he was on recently it sounded like he'd continue Parks if he wasn't going to act in that.

Yeah, it didn't get picked up.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it didn't get picked up.

And the world just got a little bit more funny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tig Notaro was gonna have a big role too :(

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Al! posted:

And the world just got a little bit more funny.

Except the Sarah Silverman Program was great, and Wittles was one of the best writers for the show.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh wow this HDTGM episode really was way too short. Danny Trejo is the coolest dude in the world. I love his dedication to student film projects.

I hope he will be on WTF or Nerdist some time for a proper interview, that would have so much potential!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Except the Sarah Silverman Program was great, and Wittles was one of the best writers for the show.

Don't bother, goons hate Sarah Silverman because she's a woman who doesn't do stereotypical women's comedy.

Also Sarah Silverman Program came on at a time when Mind of Mencia was a big thing so people automatically assumed that Sarah Silverman was doing the same thing as Mencia because some of her humor is "offensive". Nevermind that she's literally making fun of people like Mencia by being offensive and the dumbest person alive (as opposed to Mencia being offensive and trying to come off as smart).

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Glitterbomber posted:

Hmmm what is stronger, my total love of Danny Trejo or my utter apathy about How Did This Get Made.

The episode was great. I don't know what your problem is with HDTGM but they don't really talk about the movie much at all. It's more about Trejo's past and who you don't want to mess with in Hollywood. (It's john cusack :ssh:) And yeah some other podcast needs to do a more in depth interview with him. This one was about an hour and a half too short.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Don't bother, goons hate Sarah Silverman because she's a woman who doesn't do stereotypical women's comedy.

It doesn't surprise me that a fan of Sarah Silverman would dismiss all other female comedians for doing "women's comedy" whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Al! posted:

It doesn't surprise me that a fan of Sarah Silverman would dismiss all other female comedians for doing "women's comedy" whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

Yeah, because Whitney Cummings and Maria Bamford have the exact same act. Aren't we at a point where enough women have proven that there isn't a "women's comedy" thing at all?

Also, as much as I love Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer's stand up is, in my opinion, better at doing what Sarah used to do, but I guess Amy isn't precious-cute like Sarah sometimes defaults to. I hated Jesus Is Magic because those jokes of hers only work the first time, and the crowd is almost absolutely dead throughout most of it unless it was supposed to be some Sandra Bernhard-esque performance piece I didn't get.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Popelmon posted:

Oh wow this HDTGM episode really was way too short. Danny Trejo is the coolest dude in the world. I love his dedication to student film projects.

I hope he will be on WTF or Nerdist some time for a proper interview, that would have so much potential!

He did do an episode of Jay And Silent Bob Get Old and it was pretty good. He was really funny on that. He was Jay's drug counsler.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Auritech posted:

Yeah, because Whitney Cummings and Maria Bamford have the exact same act. Aren't we at a point where enough women have proven that there isn't a "women's comedy" thing at all?

The thing is I don't like Sarah Silverman because I find her egoistic and lazy. I understand that she has a good sense of humor otherwise she wouldn't surround herself with hilarious people like Pepitone and Notaro and Thompkins etc. But it's just that her unfunnyness ruins the show for me. I would gladly watch something she produced but didn't star in. I feel the same way about Dane Cook, if you watch that first special you see there's a kernel of humor, it's just smothered by his egoism and laziness to the point where I don't want anything to do with him.

However, the thing that bothers me about her more is that the post above isn't the first time I've heard "ladies aren't funny, except for Sarah Silverman, but only because she doesn't do that icky women's comedy." I understand that isn't her fault per se, but I think her lazy cutesy/offensive shtick attracts that kind of person. The problem is that those kind of people seem to be running the industry.

Don't get me wrong, I understand what "women's comedy" is supposed to mean, it means jokes about relationships and femininity and women's identity issues, as if that wasn't what most - even folks known for "alternative" comedy like Oswalt or Posehn - male comics acts consist of as well. It bothers me in the same way a lot of African-American comedians get dismissed because they are doing "black comedy." People like Katt Williams, despite being utterly hilarious, get dismissed out of hand for being race comics, as if jokes about identity wasn't a huge part of stand-up comedy.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
SSP owns even if you don't like Sarah. gently caress you if you don't laugh at the high-fiveing cat.

Lots of podcast people cameos too.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I have never really enjoyed Sarah Silverman that much either before or after the show, but god drat did I love that show so much. So many great people that don't get to be on TV as much as they should(Jay Johnston especially)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Auritech posted:

Also, as much as I love Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer's stand up is, in my opinion, better at doing what Sarah used to do, but I guess Amy isn't precious-cute like Sarah sometimes defaults to. I hated Jesus Is Magic because those jokes of hers only work the first time, and the crowd is almost absolutely dead throughout most of it unless it was supposed to be some Sandra Bernhard-esque performance piece I didn't get.

Amy Schumer is absolutely Sarah Silverman but better in nearly every way.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Al! posted:

I don't recall saying any of that but okay.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Does anyone recommend a particular point where I could jump into the Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling? Is starting at the very beginning advised? Archives go back over a decade and it looks pretty daunting.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

HateTheInternet posted:

Does anyone recommend a particular point where I could jump into the Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling? Is starting at the very beginning advised? Archives go back over a decade and it looks pretty daunting.

Nah, I wouldn't start at the beginning. In addition to probably never being able to catch up (1500 hours and counting), I've listened to the first episodes and they're pretty different from what's going on now. They're interesting, but Tom was still in the process of forming his radio personality. I'd just jump in - though this week's episode is #500, and while I haven't heard it yet it may be kind of self referential for a first-time listener. It may take you a few episodes to get into the rhythm of the show and start appreciating the recurring references, but once I did it became pretty much my favorite thing in the world. The 7/28/09 show is coincidentally the week I started listening and it's widely considered to be a great one, so if you just want a taste to see if you'll like it, that's a good one to try. (don't get too attached to Paul F Tompkins, though :smith: )

Finally, yes there are really 2-3 theme songs in a row at the beginning of the show. It makes more sense during the live show when Tom plays music at the top, but they have to cut that out of the podcast for licensing reasons. Just skip the first 5 minutes or so.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

HateTheInternet posted:

Last week's with Kurt Braunohler in studio is very good and has everything you would want in an episode besides a Wurster call.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

HateTheInternet posted:

Cherry pick for guests you really like first. You can always go back and do a chronological listen from whenever you want and skip around the ones that have people you like on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

I cannot even imagine advising someone to go listen to 1500 hrs of talk radio.

I've been listening for about a year, and the only backstory I've gathered is through all the best show gems podcasts (all wurster stuff), a few of the scharpling-wurster albums, and a tiny handful of highlight clips (the xmas four loko party w/ hodgman and the gathering of the juggalos analysis w/ pft being the best). This last one with Kurt Braunohler was right up there with the all-time highlights, too.

Most of the show is just off-the-cuff rambling and reactions to callers, though, and you pick up on the regular callers quickly.

e: Oh, and there's a Best Show thread, worth keeping tabs on. I see I asked pretty much this same question there, on p1.

WoG fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 14, 2012

• Locked thread