Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cromlech posted:

Also, any good wits? Victory has the Whirlwind but that appears to be a spring seasonal and I missed it.

New Belgium's Mothership Wit is pretty decent and very easy to find.

edit: oh, in PA. I don't think it's actually easy to find then, maybe if you drive to a neighboring state.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I think Sierra Nevada's maibock, Glissade, is surprisingly good.
Glissade hasn't been produced for over a year, it was retired in favor of Ruthless Rye.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

deadwing posted:

Glissade hasn't been produced for over a year, it was retired in favor of Ruthless Rye.

ffffuuuuuuuu what a terrible decision

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Going early to the GI vintage tasting tonight, gonna try their new Black Mission. This guy right here, very excited :neckbeard:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

mysterious frankie posted:

Going early to the GI vintage tasting tonight; gonna try their new Black Mission. This guy right here, very excited :neckbeard:

You and me both. Watch out for the dude with super long curly hair and a 'Denver Noise Fest' t-shirt, that's me.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

crazyfish posted:

You and me both. Watch out for the dude with super long curly hair and a 'Denver Noise Fest' t-shirt, that's me.

Cool beans. Look for the big & tall in a green hoodie and glasses.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I think I found the last 2 bottles of Saison Brett in Kansas City last night. Drank one with a couple of friends and gifted them the other as a housewarming gift. I was going to cellar it with the others, but I figure this way I have a bottle at their house to drink later.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ShaneB posted:

ffffuuuuuuuu what a terrible decision

I have 2 or 3 bottles left because I hated it, do you want them? No idea if they are still any good really...

It's either that or I'm going to use them to make bread or something.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Can anyone tell me what are the best Belgian style ales available in the Kansas City area?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

caiman posted:

Can anyone tell me what are the best Belgian style ales available in the Kansas City area?

That's a really broad question and you need to be more specific. Are you talking about something like Duvel or Orval? Something stronger and full-bodied (dubbels, tripels, quads)?

As a starting point, that's where Boulevard is headquartered. Bourbon Barrel Quad and Sixth Glass are amongst the best American-brewed quads. You should have no issue finding Sixth Glass. Tank 7 is a solid pick for a saison.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Okay looks like "Belgian Style" is a lot more broad than I realized. I've had many of the beers you listed but didn't realize they fall under the classification. So to specify my question, I think what I'm looking for are witbiers, Belgian pale ales, or Belgian strong pale ales. Two that come to mind that I've enjoyed lately are Hoegaarden's original white ale and Great Divide's Hades.

For the sake of education, what does it mean to be Belgian Style?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Man, you know what sucks? Not being able to drink for two weeks. Of course it means that my local bottle shop is getting all kinds of cool stuff in. I might have to go stock up and just...stare at it in the fridge.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
speaking of KC, a guy i just traded with could only get one 2012 Saison Brett, so he sent me his last 2009, instead. poor me.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Duvel and Orval are definite suggestions in that case. Also: Delirium Tremens, Brooklyn Local 1 and 2, La Chouffe and Hoblon Chouffe.

quote:

Ooh... :can:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

air- posted:

Ooh... :can:

Uh oh, what have I done?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

caiman posted:

Uh oh, what have I done?

Start reading here:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

caiman posted:

Okay looks like "Belgian Style" is a lot more broad than I realized. I've had many of the beers you listed but didn't realize they fall under the classification. So to specify my question, I think what I'm looking for are witbiers, Belgian pale ales, or Belgian strong pale ales. Two that come to mind that I've enjoyed lately are Hoegaarden's original white ale and Great Divide's Hades.

Green Flash Rayon Vert. Belgian-style pale ale with brett. Absolutely delicious, though I don't know if you can get it in KC.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Speaking of Kansas City, what can you get out there that is worth getting that you can't get in NJ?

Packages only, draft need not apply. Relatively easy to find a big plus.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

caiman posted:

Uh oh, what have I done?

It's just a term that's so broad as to be meaningless. You could be into "British beers" and have anything from an easy-drinking 4% mild up to an aggressively hopped IPA or a 10% imperial stout under that umbrella. The same goes for "Belgians" except probably moreso since a lot of brewers in Belgium pride themselves on just making beer and disregarding the notion of style.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

NJ and MO are both strong selection states and I don't think there's much overlap. We already mentioned Boulevard, and I recall someone earlier in the thread saying Bell's doesn't go to NJ- I know it does in MO as I did find Hopslam there a while back. Maybe Deschutes? I don't think there are any big releases out right now though.

e: oh yeah, maybe New Belgium? Look out for Tart Lychee.

air- fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 14, 2012

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

In my opinion Tank 7 alone is worth going to KC for. I'm no beer expert (as you can clearly see from my last few posts), but Tank 7 is one of the best tasting things I've ever had. Call me crazy, but I even prefer it slightly over Saison Brett.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I could say Tank 7 is one of the ten best beers made in America with a straight face. Even more so if you excluded single-day/rare releases.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What's good, if anything from Schlafly?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Nth-ing Tank 7. The Sixth Glass is also really good.

Mahoning posted:

The bottle deposit?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Wow, whole lotta love for Tank 7. Thanks for the info! I am not going to be there myself, but I'll pass along word and hopefully they'll bring me back some.

e: just to clarify, when you say "should have no trouble finding," does that mean like "at higher end liquor stores" or "in an average grocery store"?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

They had some stuff on tap at Bonnaroo this weekend. Their pale ale is pretty standard but perfectly drinkable. Then I had their helles lager, I liked it a whooole lot. Probably was my favorite thing I had there.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Manky posted:

They had some stuff on tap at Bonnaroo this weekend. Their pale ale is pretty standard but perfectly drinkable. Then I had their helles lager, I liked it a whooole lot. Probably was my favorite thing I had there.

I had their Helles while I was hanging around Columbia, MO, and I also thought it was pretty good. Good enough to pour in a glass, but perfectly drinkable from the bottle too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mahoning posted:

Most likely craft beer to find in moist counties so if you are stuck somewhere it all ends up good by default.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Speaking of Kansas City, what can you get out there that is worth getting that you can't get in NJ?

Odell

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wow, whole lotta love for Tank 7. Thanks for the info! I am not going to be there myself, but I'll pass along word and hopefully they'll bring me back some.

e: just to clarify, when you say "should have no trouble finding," does that mean like "at higher end liquor stores" or "in an average grocery store"?

You won't find Tank 7 in most grocery stores, but you'll most definitely find it at just about any liquor store. It comes in either a 750 ml bottle or a 4-pack.

EDIT: I should clarify something. If you're on the Kansas side you won't find it in grocery stores (ridiculous liquor laws in KS), but in MO you stand a better chance.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 14, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

ShaneB posted:

I could say Tank 7 is one of the ten best beers made in America with a straight face. Even more so if you excluded single-day/rare releases.

Drank a 4 pack of these to the face the other night/next afternoon So good.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
For the PA guy, keep your eyes peeled for Victory Sunrise Weissbier. It shits on all other american hefeweizens.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

caiman posted:

This isn't a silly question or a meaningless one, but to a lot of people its going to be hard to really understand unless you know a lot about brewing.
The simplest way to sum up the the "What is Belgian style?" question is to say "it uses Belgian yeast". There are other things like malt profile, hop profile and attenuation that are also strong hallmarks of Belgian style beers but ultimately you can't brew a Belgian style beer without Belgian yeast.
Belgian yeast is different than other yeasts because it has a strong ester/phenol character it imparts in the beer during growth and fermentation that contributes positively towards the flavor of the beer. Yeasts traditionally classified as American and German in origin are a lot "cleaner" in the sense that they impart as little character as possible and British yeasts are kind of inbetween where they impart a lot of doughy/bready flavors.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Munkaboo posted:

For the PA guy, keep your eyes peeled for Victory Sunrise Weissbier. It shits on all other american hefeweizens.

Never had Victory's, but the best American hefe I've had is New Glarus Dancing Man. Unfortunately, no one but Wisconsin can get their hands on it.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

caiman posted:

In my opinion Tank 7 alone is worth going to KC for. I'm no beer expert (as you can clearly see from my last few posts), but Tank 7 is one of the best tasting things I've ever had. Call me crazy, but I even prefer it slightly over Saison Brett.

You're not alone. It's Saison Brett without the funk. Long Strange Tripel is awesome as well. Any large grocery on the MO side will carry Boulevard Smokestacks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Tank 7's pretty widely available. Saw it everywhere all over KC, even in groceries.

Mahoning posted:

Schafly APA and Kolsch are both worth picking up.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

crazyfish posted:

Never had Victory's, but the best American hefe I've had is New Glarus Dancing Man. Unfortunately, no one but Wisconsin can get their hands on it.

I will wholeheartedly agree with that statement. With that said, time to walk 2 blocks and get some more. :smuggo:

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Phew, tons of good suggestions. Thanks guys! I just copy pasted all those names in a note on my phone aptly titled "GOOD BEER" so next time I go down to my shop I'll definitely be on the lookout.

And give my impressions soon after, of course.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I recently started working about two blocks from a great liquor store so I decided to stop in before heading home. What's this? Two week old Pliny the Elder in the cooler? :getin: Just cracked one and it's as amazing as ever, the super light and "drinkable" body for an 8% beer gets me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

After much hype from this thread as well as other sources, I just tried Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti. All I can say is :worship: