Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh poo poo, Katia :smith:

Oh poo poo, Katia :(

Oh poo poo, Katia :ohdear:

Oh poo poo, Katia :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, looks like this might end up being not a complete failure after all :unsmith:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Roger Explosion posted:

Did she somehow make gold from the booze or something?
I didn't understand this post until I went back and realized the GIF on the next to the last panel doesn't loop very quickly (if at all).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well then :catstare:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Everything Sigrid has been building up, everything she has invested in, everything she cares about or loves, will burn.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Oh man, so glad I spent my day off reading up on this whole thing. It's so refreshing to have a forum adventure play out that isn't the lolrandum kind of nonsense most of them devolve into. I've never been so happy to be unhappy :unsmith:

But poo poo, yeah, I guess the next entry we're going to 'hear' from the Puppy again? It seemed to be vaguely self-aware last time we heard from it, so maybe some old-fashioned canine loyalty kicked and it's happy to turn itself off or something to help her?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Aaronicon posted:

Oh man, so glad I spent my day off reading up on this whole thing. It's so refreshing to have a forum adventure play out that isn't the lolrandum kind of nonsense most of them devolve into. I've never been so happy to be unhappy :unsmith:

But poo poo, yeah, I guess the next entry we're going to 'hear' from the Puppy again? It seemed to be vaguely self-aware last time we heard from it, so maybe some old-fashioned canine loyalty kicked and it's happy to turn itself off or something to help her?

Ahaha, oh man just what do you think you've been reading? She's murdered the soul of a puppy.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Cthulhuchan posted:

Ahaha, oh man just what do you think you've been reading? She's murdered the soul of a puppy.

Let me have my moment of Sigrid bliss before I come crashing back down to reality :arghfist::smith:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
On another note, have we ever seen Katia conjure fire without a cat pun prompt or is this pretty much the first time?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Pretty sure it's the first time.

She overcame the booze! Now she just has to run away from overcome the fire. Hopefully she isn't identified as the cause of the Kvatch fire before she gets a chance to floor the mage who gave her the amulet with her reason for needing a new one.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Well, strictly speaking, the Kvatch Cathedral in Oblivion is about the only building that isn't burned down, so maybe this has a happy ending.

Unless she panics and runs out of the Cathedral, spontaneously setting fire to everything as she runs, and that's why the Cathedral is fine. And then the Mythic Dawn dude outside the town sees her, and offers to "helpfully drain her magicka" so that she "doesn't hurt herself". And then flips it around into an Oblivion portal.

Oh, Katia :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The most worrying thing about a prospective Kvatch fire is that assuming it's the fire (although wouldn't it be funny if she burned down just half the town and then the rest of it burned when the Oblivion gate was opened later that week? I mean there's no reason Kvatch couldn't have had a smaller fire earlier in the week), that would mean Katia's out of the running for Oblivion Player Character, since no one knew Kvatch had burned down at the start of the game and there's no chance Katia could run away here and get arrested ahead of that news.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Yesssssssssssss..... Catharsis at last!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dolash posted:

The most worrying thing about a prospective Kvatch fire is that assuming it's the fire (although wouldn't it be funny if she burned down just half the town and then the rest of it burned when the Oblivion gate was opened later that week? I mean there's no reason Kvatch couldn't have had a smaller fire earlier in the week), that would mean Katia's out of the running for Oblivion Player Character, since no one knew Kvatch had burned down at the start of the game and there's no chance Katia could run away here and get arrested ahead of that news.

I think it's far more likely that, if we're actually going to get into the whole actual Oblivion thing eventually, Katia will--

- Accidentally burn down, or be otherwise partially responsible for the burning down of Kvatch
- Accidentally get the main PC thrown in jail, most likely as an accidental in-the-background thing (she tosses her necklace because it's worthless, PC picks it up, someone walks by and recognizes it as "My necklace!", PC gets thrown in jail)
- Accidentally get involved with the Brotherhood
- Accidentally get involved with the Necromancy side of the Wizard's Guild
- Accidentally burn down the Anvil Mage's Guild

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

World Famous Whore posted:

Kaz, you write a very convincing alcoholic/addict with depression. Is there anything we should know about? :colbert:

Thanks! But no, those parts are actually very difficult for me to write, as I'm not an alcholic/addict with depression. I have pages and pages of unused rough drafts that just weren't irrational enough, didn't portray the emotions strongly enough, didn't feel in-character enough, didn't convey all the necessary information, etc. Sometimes it just comes down to trial and error; I rewrite a scene until I get an iteration that (hopefully) doesn't sound fake.

A lot of people assume it's the art that takes a long time, but in that big update nearly every panel was recycled.

Roger Explosion posted:

Did she somehow make gold from the booze or something?
A lot of people are misinterpreting those embers as gold. I'm hoping having them burn out in the next update will be enough to clear things up for the archival readers.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about the fire: if I remember my Oblivion correctly, the chapel has almost nothing flammable where Katia is, there's a large courtyard in front of it with nothing flammable within tossing distance and it's raining pretty heavily.
Worst case scenario is that she tries to stamp out the fire and further injures herself.
Best case scenario, she manages to toss the blanket in the rain-soaked street so that the flames are doused.
I'm guessing that she could also toss it inside one of the barrels and close the lid: those things should be pretty air-tight, so the what little oxygen there is inside would be consumed immediately, dousing the flame ages before the temperature reaches the level necessary to set fire to the barrell itself.
Plenty of possibilities.

Of course we are talking about a forum game where the character's personality is taken into account in addition to the users' submissions, so anything could happen.

Edit:

Kazerad posted:

Thanks! But no, those parts are actually very difficult for me to write, as I'm not an alcholic/addict with depression. I have pages and pages of unused rough drafts that just weren't irrational enough, didn't portray the emotions strongly enough, didn't feel in-character enough, didn't convey all the necessary information, etc. Sometimes it just comes down to trial and error; I rewrite a scene until I get an iteration that (hopefully) doesn't sound fake.
It's still pretty damned impressive: most people that have not had to deal with an addiction usually do extremely poorly when portraying it, even when it has been researched. Very incidentally, that's one of the many things done right in the tv show Babylon 5.

Kazerad posted:

A lot of people are misinterpreting those embers as gold. I'm hoping having them burn out in the next update will be enough to clear things up for the archival readers.
Speaking of that scene, that was one neat little touch having the flame start up blue.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 4, 2012

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Kazerad posted:

A lot of people assume it's the art that takes a long time, but in that big update nearly every panel was recycled.
Just wanna say that little agitated shuffle is one of the funniest animations I've seen this year, and I am an animation student.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
When the barrel of fireworks by the orphanage goes up, those kids are absolutely screwed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dr.Smasher posted:

When the barrel of fireworks by the orphanage goes up, those kids are absolutely screwed.

They were the last of the children in Oblivion.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Had a few updates to cath up on. Really had me going there Kaz.

I think the amulet's working fine, even imprisoned puppy souls get tired once in a while.

Good job Katia, now you're ready to face the Fire Lord.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gnome de plume posted:

Good job Katia, now you're ready to face the Fire Lord.

You can't face me, you're not wearing any pants!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope this is just a dead cat bounce (heh) onto something much worse.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I just want to say that I think the writing is very good. I know everyone has said it already ad nauseam, but the sort of "frequently unreasonable high expectations combined with irrational self-hatred and blame" mindset depicted in the comic is very reminiscent of the same sort of self-defeating crap that goes in a depressed and neurotic person's head.

Besides saying what everyone else has said already, I'll also say that the most recent update is distilled :unsmith: .

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
I have just discovered this comic and have spent the last week getting up to speed on Katia's tragic yet wacky adventures.

I have reached the end of the archives, and this saddens me.

:(

upppppdatttttte dammmmmnnnn youuuuu

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just imagine: You've only had to wait a few days to find out what happened after the Mage's Guild.

Most of us had to wait over a month.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Update.

It can best be summarised as :supaburn:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Meh, things could be going a lot worse, what with her being inside a cathedral still made primarily of stone and little else.
Unless the summoning of a massive demonic gate to hell can cause such a surge of magicka in the area around it to overload an amulet and those born under the sign of the Atronach.
Anyway, funny update. :3:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The Adventures of Carrie Morgania

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Turns out the cathedral was build atop a giant ayleid well.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This:

quote:

You are going to die in a fire.
is the funniest thing ever.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wait, she's in the Kvatch temple, right? Martin will solve everything.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
I don't know Oblivion enough, I guess. I was kind of hoping Katia was accidentally about to burn down Steve's church (he's a priest, right?), with him taking that as retribution for whatever role he played in Sig screwing her over.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
If Katia's the one to burn down Kvatch and not, you know, a bunch of demons from another dimension, that would be kind of dumb.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
She's not taking this as well as one would hope, which I guess is to be expected.

But then we know the church is going to be fine. Last time I was there it was practically crammed with unburned bedding and sacks.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Gnome de plume posted:

She's not taking this as well as one would hope, which I guess is to be expected.

But then we know the church is going to be fine. Last time I was there it was practically crammed with unburned bedding and sacks.

Unless she burns it down, prompting them to rebuild it with much more stringent fire-blocking magic.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Silentman0 posted:

If Katia's the one to burn down Kvatch and not, you know, a bunch of demons from another dimension, that would be kind of dumb.

I don't know, Kvatch is pretty trashed in Oblivion as I recall. Daedra were just the ones the CIA keeps talking about, most of it was probably Katia on the grassy knoll.

but no seriously, I don't think she'll be the one to raze Kvatch, but there's a lot of wiggle room for destroying part of it. Who would know?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

VictorGrunn posted:

I don't know Oblivion enough, I guess. I was kind of hoping Katia was accidentally about to burn down Steve's church (he's a priest, right?), with him taking that as retribution for whatever role he played in Sig screwing her over.

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I don't know, Kvatch is pretty trashed in Oblivion as I recall.

Yeah but in Oblivion the Cathedral is pretty much the only building not burned to the ground and razed. When you show up, most of the survivors who couldn't make it out of the city are holed up in there, including Martin. So the cathedral has just as much plot armor as Hirtel and Sigrid.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, if there's gonna be a fire in Kvatch, it can't start here and now.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, I've only just discovered this comic through some goon avatars, and I ended up reading through the whole archives basically in one sitting. Prequel is surprisingly good for both a fan-participation Adventure comic and for an Oblivion fan work.

It's managed to capture my attention in a way that Hussie's adventure comics have never really been able to, for whatever reason. So, great work, Kazerad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I actually started out really liking Problem Sleuth. It's really funny, but after a certain number of surprise surreal twists it stopped having any basis in reality and nothing seemed to mean anything anymore.

• Locked thread